To Adventure! (in character thread)

scarik
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: To Adventure! (in character thread)

#21 Post by Leitz »

Jing Ji-ho

Ji-ho raised an eyebrow when Zenkris spoke of avoiding the bugbears, and then smiled. "Please, I know who to tell about the bugbears, and they may offer you work on the caravan. However, I will offer that I also have an adventure that could use the talents both of you have expressed. If you want to join the caravan, I wish you well. However, my adventure offers less and more."

He stood, and motioned to Zenkris and Barnaby to join him.

If they do: (I am assuming we have given our names)
Ji-ho led them to the small group of knights that he was with earlier. "Sir Tylar, this is Zenkris, who has come here from the west. He said there were some bugbears that might be encountered on the road to Springkeep, I thought you should know. This is Barnaby, a well travelled and well informed bard."

It is clear that Ji-ho knows about the caravan, but has a different adventure in mind. However, he's leaving the decision up to Zenkris and Barnaby.
If Barnaby and/or Zenkris rejoin Ji-ho

Ji-ho smiled, and then speared a small piece of meat with his small knife. "In my culture, nobles are not automatically given lands to rule, it is at the decision of the emporer. Knighthood is different as well, but much the same idea. I am both, but found that my passion to lead armies is unnecessary when the empire is at peace. Thus I am here; there is a need for what I am crafted to do."

"Barnaby, your knowledge would be most useful, the adventure I embark upon has cultural and historical complexities that I am not familar with. Zenkris, I am many things, but not a good scout. If you can avoid such creatures on your own, my troop could use you." Ji-ho took some bread and cheese, and then shrugged. "The down side is that I have been asked to find adventurers who would work for shares. You would be working for me, and you do not really know me. I can tell you that I treat my people fairly, but that's just my word. Nor do I know that we will find any treasure at all, the goblins, or whatever we go against, may have despoiled everything and left."

He sat back, and looked at each of them in turn. "Is this something you would be interested in? What questions would you have?"

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#22 Post by kalstone »

Zenkris

"Work for you? Alas, I am too much of a free spirit to be employed. Perhaps a joint venture instead? We could explore this countryside together and split the benefits fairly."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by tibbius »

"Employment by another, is not ..." Barnaby pauses, sighs, shakes his head. "I would be glad to venture *with* you. I will not be a hired hand. Let us speak of knowledge, risks, and portions."
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Leitz »

Jing Ji-ho

Ji-ho shrugged, stood, and then bowed to Zenkris and Barnaby. "I am sorry if I was mistaken about your plans. I gave my word of honor to accomplish a task, and I will do so. I serve those I have given my word to; that includes those who are under my leadership. I cannot risk their lives to someone who is not willing to serve alongside us all."

He smiled. "The caravan leaves in the morning, and Sir Tylar would likely invite you on with terms you find more agreeable."

Ji-ho took his leave and returned to his camp.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#25 Post by tibbius »

Barnaby rises as Ji-Ho speaks so dismissively, and moves to block the exit. "Wait a moment!" the young man says fiercely. "Do you think that you're too good to be equaled? My house has known dishonor, it is true, but our history is *proud* and I would not have it said that an Easterling spurned me."
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Leitz »

Jing Ji-ho

Ji-ho raised an eyebrow at Barnaby's outburst, but did not otherwise react to the anger in the words. When Barnaby was through, Ji-ho bowed slightly. "Forgive me, I am still learning your language. I do not spurn you or your family, I know nothing of either. You simply ask a price that I cannot pay."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by tibbius »

Leitz wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:53 am Jing Ji-ho

Ji-ho raised an eyebrow at Barnaby's outburst, but did not otherwise react to the anger in the words. When Barnaby was through, Ji-ho bowed slightly. "Forgive me, I am still learning your language. I do not spurn you or your family, I know nothing of either. You simply ask a price that I cannot pay."
"I am not a merchant or mercenary to haggle on prices," Barnaby answers, "but a man of birth can discuss an alliance with his peers." He looks to Zenkris. "Sir elf, would you be willing to venture with this humble captain, if he treated us as equals rather than hirelings?"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#28 Post by kalstone »

Zenkris

"Of course! I feel all of our interests align, and we would do better together than separately."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by tibbius »

"Yes," Barnaby adds, "we would be glad to work with you. Even, looking at your accoutrements, to take your direction in matters of combat. But I suggest that we will work better as a team of equals who each take the lead in our respective matters. Thus, should it be a time for song or parley, I perhaps should direct our actions. Likewise, in matters of magic or stealth or other things with which you are most capable, Zenkris, I would defer to you."
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Leitz »

Jing Ji-ho

"Perhaps we are discussing different things, my friend," Ji-ho said to Barnaby. "Please, let me try again. If you attained a mountain of gold, and wanted me to lead your army, then I would be happy to do so. I would work for you, taking your guidance, and possibly making alternate suggestions based on my own expertise. I am a noble, a knight, and an experienced commander; I work for those I choose to work for, and nobles and knights have no dishonor if they work for me. It is the extension of a family-not-of-blood, a common feeling among soldiers."

Ji-ho lowered his voice so only Barnaby could hear no idea on Elven senses. "You said your house has fallen on ill times, we both understand that. The challenge I face right now is that I am given a task as the local head of my house, and I must tread very carefully so that I do not fail my people here and my family elsewhere. I do not know either of you, and we have gotten off to a rough start. Many would say that it is wiser for me to respectfully decline, and perhaps they would be right. Or perhaps I can ask you to treat me, in this venture, as the head of the house? Follow my direction, and give me your wisdom when mine is insufficient. When we are back here, afterwards, we can again have this discussion. Perhaps you will be given the task and I am to serve you?"

He leaned back, so that Zenkris could hear. "You spoke of shares; I understand your concern. But I have no idea what, if any, financal rewards there will be. I am playing a longer game by building my reputation for success here. I think there will be opportunities to win glory, honor, and coin; but that is a hope, not a known."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#31 Post by tibbius »

Barnaby smiles suddenly. "So in a sense you would have us as fosterlings under your house and care?" he asks. "That is honorable. I certainly could assist you on those terms. Zenkris Elf, what do you say? Are you willing to be adopted by Ji-Ho, at least for a while?"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#32 Post by scarik »

Voice of DM

Let's conclude this scene and figure out logistics OOC.

The caravans leave in the morning.

The Dwarves will start provisioning then and all hirings will begin as well. This will take the rest of the week and then you can head out.

In that time you freely try to hire those still available. If you want more you may pay 1d6p to carouse in search of other prospects. This buys 1 random henchman or another roll for mercs and hirelings. Current rolls have been made and will be updated now.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Leitz »

For the group composition, we have a 1st level bard, a 0 level cleric (Hemia), and everyone else are fighters. We have 4 dwarven companions of unknown skills, and a couple of mules for gear.

I'm okay with moving the logistics to OOC, and Ji-ho will do his best to get good deals and make sure everyone knows how to pack and unpack the mules. Ji-ho takes a turn at each camp duty; cooking, cleaning, setting up the tent, packing the mules, mending armor, storing arrows, crossbow bolts, etc.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#34 Post by tibbius »

What was the outcome of hiring Dramm?
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#35 Post by scarik »

tibbius wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:17 pm What was the outcome of hiring Dramm?
You succeeded. Did you want any more mercs or just the one?

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by tibbius »

Barnaby knows how to roister - on the cheap ... he is looking for a thrifty, scrupulous hench.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Leitz »

It is estimated to take 2 weeks out, 2 weeks back. Some time in the middle. Ji-ho has to pay his people in a months, but if we get treasure that'll be resolved. If we get killed, that'll be resolved. :P

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#38 Post by scarik »

tibbius wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:21 pm Barnaby knows how to roister - on the cheap ... he is looking for a thrifty, scrupulous hench.
I shall generate after work today.

scarik
Ranger
Ranger

#39 Post by scarik »

I decided to add two more options to the hench-pool.

Darfilla (torch-bearer, Chaotic): A journeyman alchemist with a reckless streak. Surprisingly pious.
Sengrim (hunter, Neutral): A halfling woodsman searching for news of his lost brother.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#40 Post by tibbius »

Barnaby hires Sengrim. The small fellow's story of woe is touching. The noble bard wonders why this brother is accepting employment that will surely delay the potential success of such a lengthy sibling search. However, the halfling's actual motives are not of great concern; he seems trusty. Perhaps Barnaby will be able to aid him after this adventure.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Return to “Scarik's Keep on the Borderlands (BX/Chainmail)”