The Wilderness: Arriving at the Keep

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Wilderness: Arriving at the Keep

#121 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Bugs

The Gnome looks unconvinced. "I don't know, maybe all the men are held in the dungeon. And all this delay is to prepare the right size manacles for us, getting a full list of the new men to put there."

He starts to assess the castle for climbing. "She hasn't said anything about allowing us in, just making a shopping list." Bugs cranes his neck in a failed attempt to see the crenelations. "And I don't even see any guards. What kind of castle doesn't have a show of force? A creepy one that tries to trap men in the dungeon, that's what."

Bugs turns to Sylla "You won't let them hold me, right? I can pretend to be your child. I'll even cut my beard."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by hedgeknight »

Dredd

The Half-Orc just shakes his head at all of the men vs. women talk. "I don't give a rat's ass who's in charge. Just wish they'd open the damn gate!"
He says the last part with a raised voice and a shrug, looking at the woman in the gatehouse.
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#123 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Arrival Day
Late Afternoon
Mostly Sunny

The pretty face in the window nods at Renna, but watches Bugs antics with concern, unsure where he would get such a pythonic idea from. She continues writing into her book.

"Okay, so Rida......and....more ale. Meinhardt Grayson has come to see the Caves? Good day to you, sir. Sylla Lontharra, on a diplomatic errand. And Bugs, her hyperactive bearded child. Crobeus the Paladin, you are welcome here, goodly sir. And Dredd, form Longspear. Yes, old Moseley still lives here." She looks at the last page in her book. "And he is currently in."

She looks down at Gyb, Haldric, and Pim. "Do the rest of you have names?"

Despite some members penchant for paranoia, the check-in system seems to be going quite smoothly, and the gates are just about to open, when Twojaws states his business to the woman. In turn, she stares at him incredulously for a long time before sighing audibly through the bars. "I have heard every lie in the book at this job, but I have never heard anything like this. Let me get this straight......you are here on the premise of attaining revenge and redemption for your mother? And you are a half-orc?" She shakes her head in disgust. "That is the most bizarre proclamation of intent I have ever heard. So, nameless one, you can turn around and take your leave. You are NOT welcome here."

She tries to explain to the others that there is a serious bandit problem in this area, and that she is not about to let an unidentified half-orc she has never seen before inside the keep after admittedly and stoically being bent on some kind of revenge.

"Once I get the rest of your names and intentions here, you will be allowed inside." She looks at TT again. "Not you."

Then out of nowhere, Dredd speaks up about the long wait, fouling the woman's mood even further. "Hey! If you don't like the way we do things here, you can stay outside too."

Actions?

Should we start talking about that TPK yet? :roll: :lol:

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#124 Post by ateno »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:10 pm Arrival Day
Late Afternoon
Mostly Sunny

"....Let me get this straight......you are here on the premise of attaining revenge and redemption for your mother? And you are a half-orc?" She shakes her head in disgust. "That is the most bizarre proclamation of intent I have ever heard. So, nameless one, you can turn around and take your leave. You are NOT welcome here."

Then out of nowhere, Dredd speaks up about the long wait, fouling the woman's mood even further. "Hey! If you don't like the way we do things here, you can stay outside too."
Keya

"Ma'am, as I sain I am Keya Redd. I have known this man for quite a while and though he is gruff and diplomatic in his own way his intentions are honorable. All of us are adventurers and we all wish to use this heavily defended castle as a base to make our fortune and spend money here. If you wish, I will put my name as his friend and cohort and assure you he has no direct intentions of causing the castle or its inhabitants any harm. One of my teachers was a half orc and am familiar with their culture and situation." He smiles. "Or is there something else you require as a assurance?"

Keya Redd

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by hedgeknight »

Dredd

The Half-Orc holds up his hands and steps back, trying to smile and not snarl.
"My, uh, apologies, ma'am."
Winter is coming...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Rex »

Rida

Rida continues to remain silent and observant. Having been a guardsman for the past few years he knows she is just doing her job and seems pretty good at it.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Spearmint »

Thirteen Twojaws

Shrugs, used to racism and rejection. He counts out the five silvers he put in the offering plate, depositing them back into his pouch and hands the other silver, gold and platinum to the one-armed cleric Crabgrass.

"See these get given in Thanksgiving and petition the gods on my behalf."

He takes his gear and walks back over the drawbridge.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#128 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin

Seeing the half-orc will not be allowed in the keep, Crobeus follows him. "Hold, friend. I will accompany you if you'll have me. It's better to have strength in numbers, so if you can't get inside, I will stay with you. When others journey forth in search of adventure, we can join with them. Unless...the redemption you seek lies within. I do not know how to aid you if that is the problem you face."
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by Stirling »

Crabgrass

Solemnly takes the offerings from Thirteen. "I will " is all he says. Having travelled so far the get here he is not risking any rejection from entry.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by Quonundrum »

Meinhardt

He keeps silent and doesn't involve himself in the drama unfolding with Thirteen. A habit formed from ship life. Any disputes were between those involved ... and the Captain, of course, as needed. This was especially true in the Hold of the Sea Princes, where this code extended to onshore crew.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#131 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pimlan looks up at the door "Uh, yes ma'am. Names Pimlan Greenstride from Longspear. Hoping to perhaps learn abit about the caves from that Mouse fella."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant
President of Unseen Servant

#132 Post by Hotgoblin »

Loyn-dwarf fighter

“Bandits you say!” He looks around at the others and wonders if anyone could be a bandit in this group. “Can you tell me more about this, madame, maybe there’s something we could do to help out with this issue? Or if you know someone else to talk to about it?”

“You know, I used to know a dog, named Bandit, cute little fella, white with a black spot around his eye.”

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Spearmint »

Thirteen Twojaws

"I shall be honoured to walk in your shadow Sir paladin." he replies to Crobeus, happy to have company rather than be abandoned to his fate.

He contemplates his next move. He could wander the Keep perimeter looking for a way to scale the walls, (and get shot with arrows from guards most likely), explore the unknown by heading straight for these fabled Caves (wherever they are) or following the footsteps of the only other figure that has been seen. The Tortle Whisperer.

"We need a ranger to accompany us Crobeus, but I have too little charm and charisma to plead my case. You can draw men after you with just a few vocational words. Approach Magdal or Keya, one will sojourn with us for sure." he says in hope.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#134 Post by Scott308 »

Crobeus - Human Paladin

Returning to the group, Crobeus makes his pitch to the other adventurers. "I'll not argue with the gatekeeper. It is their business who they let in or keep out, whether we agree or not. However, having traveled together, you all know that Thirteen has been a trustworthy companion.

I know many of you have business that requires you enter the keep, and I will not ask any of you to turn away from your present duty. Those of you who do not have a particular need to enter the keep, I ask you to consider traveling with us. I realize that more rations and a bedroll on the ground aren't the same as a bed and a cold ale, but good company and the chance for adventure are nothing to scoff at. We'll be on the other side of the bridge if you wish to join us.

When we get more people, we can figure out what we want to do, where to go. Maybe try to find the caves, maybe try to rid the area of bandits...who knows. We have options. I look forward to seeing some of you soon."
Having said his piece, Crobeus turns, heading back to join Thirteen Twojaws.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by Jernau35 »

Gyb

Gyb looks startled for a moment then it dawns on him that in his babbling, he may not have included his name. "Gyb. Yes. Gyb. Same as before, haven't changed it, no reason to. Just Gyb, needing a bath. And shoes. And food. "
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by gurusql »

Renna

Renna will smile and patiently wait for the group to get through the list. She will glance at the boy sneaking a peak.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#137 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pimlan to Crobeus "I plan to go to the caves, I just need to speak with Mouse before I go there, supposedly he has more information on them."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by hedgeknight »

Dredd

"Don't leave without us, Crobeus. We'll be along shortly," the Half-Orc says to the departing paladin. He then turns his gaze up to the lady in control of the gate...and smiles at her again.
Winter is coming...

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#139 Post by Darithe »

Magdal

Magdal didn't like the way the gatekeeper treated the half-orc man, but she needed to get inside to check if her father had been there or dare she hope it, might even be inside, so she remained silent. She did say to the paladin, "I've business inside, but once it is attended to, I'd be happy to join your expedition, if a spot is still available." Right now, her most pressing concern must be addressed, though she hoped to resolve it soon.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#140 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Her reaction is clearly not racially motivated, since another half-orc is welcome to enter.

Arrival Day
Late Afternoon
Mostly Sunny

The pretty gatekeeper seems upset when the paladin decides to stay outside as well, but she doesn't change her mind. When Keya vouches for the half-orc, she responds inquisitively. "I appreciate your information Keya, and knowing that now, I must ask......what in the hells is he talking about? Do you understand what kind of revenge he seeks? Does he intend to hurt or kill someone who lives here? Why would he announce that? You would have to be deranged in the head to think anyone would let you in.......ANYWHERE.....after saying something so threatening." She looks over the crowd to see if anyone else has any answers to her questions.

Satisfied to see the group minding their words a little better, the woman replies to Loyn next. "If you are truly willing to help, I can give you more information when you are ready. With all the travelers in and out, I hear about everything that happens on the roads eventually, so I probably know as much about the problem as anyone else does. And thank you for your offer, Loyn Groynson. You will soon learn that folks willing to pull their share will be welcomed here."

After Gyb and Pim finally state their names, she records them in her book, still sneering at the halfling. "Don't you hear well? PLEASE stop saying that damn name in front of me. Is he a distant relative of yours, or something? If so, I wouldn't mention that to anyone inside."

All but Crobeus eventually accepts the importance and sheer historical magnitude of entering this monumental building, remaining as one with the group, all still eager to get a look inside.

I am going to assume that Haldric Hammerheart eventually gives up his name, so please correct me if he’d rather stay outside with the others.

If anyone would like to make a final reply here, please do. Otherwise we can start the infiltration inside here: https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/view ... 02#p671202

Anyone remaining outside can continue posting in this thread.

Return to “Completed Missions”