Barrowmaze: Territorial Gains.

Spearmint
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Barrowmaze: Territorial Gains.

#1 Post by Spearmint »

This expedition thread is being set up for Sven Jollys proposed trek to explore and consolidate a portion of Barrowmaze labyrinth which extends north of 'the Long Corridor', accessed via 'Checkerboard room' or into the De Ogilvy corridor area.

Subject to the conclusion of downtime activities, this trek will leave Helix on July 10th, 1066.

All those going with Sven should make their intentions clear in either the Expedition Planning thread, an in-character post in the tavern or via the BRAG co-operative for members.

to be edited.

I will edit here with the Expedition members and the random Helix to Mounds trek events.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrowmaze: Territorial Gains.

#2 Post by Spearmint »

July 10th 1066

Bright sunny morning, light breeze, hearty breakfast. The Guild Co' reinforced with mercenerary hirelings and npc cohorts. The basic plan is to trek via Standing Stone camp and enter the Barrow Mounds from the north. From there, make you way to either of the known entrances and delve into the Barrowmaze and fortify a portion of the crypts to become a beach-head for future expansion.

Sven & Smokie, Sir Dewey & Copperpiece, Orgoth, Gerdal & Harkazz & Patra-patra, Isvand, Gideon, Sigrid, Cosmo, Gnimish, Treyvor, Yardie & Bucko, Sundance and a quartet of minersMeatloaf, Ozzie, Plantie &Lemmy. Mule pulls a heavy laden caet full of supplies, tools and battering ram.

Certainly a big enough crew and assembled to take in all comers.

Passing the settlement fringe you can note the left track that would take you up to the burned out shell of the Woodcutter's small holding. You may check it out, finding it a hollow dereliction, only fragments of beams and the stone hearth remain of the cabin. The pig pens empty and other stores looted of any left behind stock or gear. A parchment stuck into a trunk declares the Duchy patrol passed by. A 'hobgoblinish' translation issues a warning against bandits and raiders, suggesting retribution will be equally as swift and just as the prisoner slain by Sir Dewey.

Concluding any 'just checking what happened', there has been not sign of any warg or raider since that tragic event. Southwards then across the misty Barrow Moor ...

Barrow Moor: random vs 1: [1d6]=6[1d6]=6[1d6]=4[1d6]=6

Following now a familiar direction, the group can make it to the slightly higher ground where among a gathering of small menhirs, expedition groups have temporarily camped. Last time you ventured here you met with Fenrice & 'the Barghests

https://www.unseenservant.us/forum/view ... 81#p642781

There are signs of digging in the area though it looks as though they dug in vain. Whatever rumour they heard of buried treasures or chambers under these stones has proved unfruitful.

Sven previously you mentioned regarding a personal tribute to be erected here so as the group take a mini-break, you can assess the site, scribbling scrap book notes and designs for future collaboration.

Barrow Moor: random vs 1:

[1d6]=2[1d6]=5[1d6]=2[1d6]=4

Despite the misty moor holding many secrets, veiling ravenous raptors, terrifying Pterandons, giant frogs and tribes of froglings, lizards and lizardmen and wandering adventurers of either lost or Undead varieties

Barrow Moor: random vs 1: [1d6]=2[1d6]=3[1d6]=5[1d6]=4

fates determine you can arrive at the Barrow Mounds in fine and unharassed fettle.

Actions please as you advance.
Last edited by Spearmint on Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by sastaz »

Patra-Patra is also joining, right 🙂

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Spearmint »

edited in

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

"That went easy, everyone keep yours eyes and ears open we are close now."

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by sastaz »

Gerdal draws a deep breath and takes in the surroundings.

"Horrible place, but also beautiful, in a way. May I offer a divination for the group, before we enter?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#7 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven is glad to avoid delay.

“It’s not that unusual to get here without incident. This isn’t our first time down this path.”

He gathers Sir Dewey and anyone else willing to help plan before laying out his map.

“I suggest we stash our stuff and take up a temporary residence in this room, where we dealt with D’O. They were sleeping in here so it must be fine.” (green circle)
IMG_1861.jpeg
IMG_1861.jpeg (33 KiB) Viewed 31711 times
“We will need to avoid the ravenous zombies caged in this room, if they are still there.”

He points to the dead end of that same hallway. “It was here that their crew was trying in vain to break through the wall. At some point, I would like your crew to finish what they left behind for us.”

“I am going to take my crew around to a few places we left unchecked, but we will come back this way to check on your progress. I just need to know what area you will start your demolition first, so we know where to return.”

tanker405th
Tracker
Tracker

#8 Post by tanker405th »

Gideon

To Sven and Sir Dewey, "Ravenous zombies?! How many, and why were they left if I may ask? I'm agreeable to join wherever you think I may be of the most use. However, I would really prefer if we ended those wretched creatures if at all possible before we head back to Helix."

Meatloaf, Ozzie, Plantie &Lemmy I love it :lol:
Grognard-in-training. Learning the old ways to pass them on!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#9 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven nods at the questions.

“8, 10, maybe? I would like nothing more than to put the lot of them to eternal rest for good, master Gideon. But I was hesitant to obliterate them all at once, you see. For one, inside this group of scoundrels is where we found our friend Duece hanging out. And more importantly, I have a distinct hunch that these monsters weren’t left here caged up for no reason. They were either guarding something that is no longer in there, or I believe there will be secret doors located somewhere inside the cage. Dispatch the zombies, find the secrets…….perhaps.”

I am trying to keep Yardie and Plantie separated. :lol:

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

He looks over the map and nods along. "That's as good a place as any. There's a quintet of stuck doors there as well. Plenty of targets. I think we'd start with one of the doors, just to test the process with the ram."

The Knight lays a hand on Gideon's shoulder. "In due time, I think. Our experience earlier was that the dead that were left in state, or in restraints have recently turned undead. And not by regular means, it seems to be spontaneous. Something powerful is tainting the entire area. What makes them Ravenous, by the way? But tell us more about Duece hanging out there? Do you suspect a way to revert the zombification?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Spearmint »

Sven is glad to avoid delay.

“It’s not that unusual to get here without incident. This isn’t our first time down this path.”
I did try but the randomised encounters are subject to the whims of Fate and going back is just as random or dangerous, just ask Truro.

Barrow Mounds: random vs 1: [1d6]=4[1d6]=6

I am presuming here you want to circumnavigate the Moor fringe and bypass exploration of the other looming Mounds in favour of arriving at (Barrow 12: 'block and tackle' Crypt).

With Fate still ignorant or negligent of your presence into the unholy meadow of scattered tumuli, you can retrace steps to the entrance of choice.

The interior of the disturbed and looted barrow is much the same as before. The body of a former adventurer still lies against the far wall, a rotting dry husk, barefoot since Deucalion took his boots. The soles on those boots were scrawled with the name 'Alastar', which may have been a sick joke or a truth. Whatever, the skeleton is mute to tell you any secret and his empty eye sockets blind to your intrusion.

Last time you arrived here, the hole in the crypt floor was covered in the tell-tale danger signs of spider webbing. No such threat is spun today but you can observe the stubs of burned out firebrands tossed aside, the pulley of the tackle has been greased with a new oil and a line of new hemp rope dangles into the chamber below.

Looking down you can see the dissected body of the wolf spider, each leg pulled free of the body.The west wall of the chamber (room 1) is considered unstable and liable to further collapse though this hasn't stopped some concerted effort to sort through the rubble, piling stones into little pyramids as though searching for buried treasures hidden aming the stones.

The interior walls have the same graffiti, senseless blagging, dire warnings and advice to stay quiet. Nothing stirs in the dark below.

for some who haven't seen this before, here are two visuals to give you a sense of the opening scenes:

Sundance remembers her captivity and ransom, Copperpiece avoids her glare. Yardie guards, enjoying a last drag of flavoured tobacco with the miners, Bucko leads the mule. They are ready to unload the cart once you deem the area safe.

It does not look as though Vann & Co passed this way yet.

Actions & discussions
Attachments
Screenshot_20220817-015330.png
Screenshot_20220817-015330.png (473.92 KiB) Viewed 31695 times
IMG_20220815_032216.jpg
IMG_20220815_032216.jpg (701.78 KiB) Viewed 31695 times

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by sastaz »

Gerdal lets a silent sigh slip her mouth as it turns out no one is interested in her predictions of what is to pass.

After a while she leans over and has a look at the map everyone is referring to.

"So that's where the undead are caged, the ravenous ones you mentioned? I'd love to see them. Now, what do we do with the mule as we go down?"

Gerdal will offer a divination to anyone interested, starting with herself: are we going to get all our stuff safely in place?

Heirloom Augury vs 72: [1d100]=58

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#13 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Spearmint wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:08 pm I did try but the randomised encounters are subject to the whims of Fate and going back is just as random or dangerous, just ask Truro.
Ha! Don’t think I didn’t notice all 12 rolls. (14 now) :lol:

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

"Everyone needs to be alert from now on. Last time the spider had moved in and we fought it. Nothing remains static down here. I will go down first. Archers to cover me please."

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by ateno »

sorry I did not know I was suppose to be here, my bad.

Cosmo is uncomfortable with being underground, he is not sure where he is and where he is going.

He did try out his eyepiece on the barrows to see if it was as good as told spying into the distance and seeing nothing.

Whispering to Sigrid. "Joining late I missed the build up, what is our plan? What are we doing.

Cosmo makes sure his brace of throwing daggers are not stuck in the leather after not being used in a while.

Cosmo

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

"Ah, you are too quick my friend. Ok. I'll stay up here and watch the rear until everyone gets down, supervising the transfer."

He looks around at the uneasy faces and tries to reassure them. "The rope will hold us, and the opening looks clear today. Below is a rather safe spot and just a short distance from where we will regroup. Once there, we will divide up and get to work. I'll be heading a group to bash down some stuck doors and bricked-up doorways. The hope is that important things are behind them."

The Knight continues. "I'll need some help, of course, a few of the bricked-up areas have contained dangers, plus the noise may attract the natives."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#17 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven is glad to have brave members fighting to go down first.

“That’s right! Once we have secured the halls, we will ALL move from here to a safe room inside where we will regroup and break off into smaller factions.”

“My faction will include our usual gang of, Amos, Orgoth, Gerdal, Isvand, Yardie, and Gnimmish. While the rest of you aid Sir Dewey in his nearby exploratory endeavors.”

“If there is some reason anyone wishes to switch teams as it were, speak up before we part.”

Can we have the first few folks inside take a quick look down the three hallways to see if the path to the green circle room is clear? Sven and Orgoth can check if you need volunteers.

“Remember to steer clear of that zombie cage or they will grab you.”

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Sigrid leans close to Gerdal as she mentions her divinations, "What do the fates see for us? I for one am quite interested." She listens to Gideon's concerns about the undead and in truth she agreed. Best to lay the souls of the draugr to rest when the time is right. At Cosmo's inquiry, she starts to be speak to him in northern but quickly corrects herself and says, "We are setting up a base of operations below. From there we will begin further explorations, from what I gather, in two groups." She awaits her turn to descend.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Orgoth will check the 3 hallways, making sure he stays visible to the next person down the entire time.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by sastaz »

Darithe wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:38 pm Sigrid

Sigrid leans close to Gerdal as she mentions her divinations, "What do the fates see for us? I for one am quite interested." She listens to Gideon's concerns about the undead and in truth she agreed. Best to lay the souls of the draugr to rest when the time is right. At Cosmo's inquiry, she starts to be speak to him in northern but quickly corrects herself and says, "We are setting up a base of operations below. From there we will begin further explorations, from what I gather, in two groups." She awaits her turn to descend.
Fate in store for Sigrid Augury vs 72: [1d100]=6

I'll narrate as SM tells me :)

Return to “Barrowmaze (1e)”