Pre game discussion

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Pre game discussion

#21 Post by onlyme »

Bhart wrote:Your Magus is going to be the most difficult character to create. If you guys post a rough outline of what you are thinking as far as character concepts we can help each other through the creation process.

Would anyone like to see a dedicated character creation thread where I walk everyone through the stages?

I would.
Thanks
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Recklessfireball
Ranger
Ranger

#22 Post by Recklessfireball »

Yeah, lay it on me- I'll take all the help I can get. :mrgreen:

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#23 Post by Bhart »

Ok I have started the thread. NJWilliam has already posted the starting outline for his character. Any of you who are interested should follow his example and we can fill out the character sheets one step at a time. I'll get more explanation of the houses posted tonight so you can all make an informed choice.

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#24 Post by Bhart »

Recklessfireball wrote:
Is there a cheat sheet, or anything else that may discuss what combinations of virtues/flaws work better for game play, etc? I read a couple of intriguing ones, but no clue if they are too limiting or vague for fun play...
As far as virtues/flaws are concerned, it seems to me that it depends on the type (some kinds affect your magic abilities) and personal preference, as far as how you imagine your character.

What I would actually like, is a fillable character sheet that would do point calculations for me. I've done some browser searches but come up empty, so far. If anyone has any links (legal ones, of course) I'd be grateful if you'd share them. The number crunching is what causes me the most trouble. :?
Found a cost calculator to crunch all the numbers!
http://rpg.ekkaia.org/ampcc/

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by onlyme »

^Nice. That seems much easier than writing, crossing out, and rewriting a bunch of virtues...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Recklessfireball
Ranger
Ranger

#26 Post by Recklessfireball »

Awesome! Thanks for the link! :D

riftstone
Ranger
Ranger

#27 Post by riftstone »

I won't have a chance to work out anything on my character until this weekend. Heck, I am still thinking on the concept.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Hey, guys. I've been super busy... BUT... I have managed to read most of the 5th edition rules and have several concepts for magi. I will post more in detail tomorrow.

One idea is for an aquatic themed magi - possibly with an undine faerie heritage and a fish or crab familiar. Not sure.

Another one is a magi who's focused on the "in-between" state of elements: smoke, mist, mud, etc. Not sure if this is a great idea, or if it's just dumb.

Recklessfireball
Ranger
Ranger

#29 Post by Recklessfireball »

Even with the calculator, creating a character in this game makes my head hurt. I'm almost ready just to say the hell with it and use the template from the book. :?

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#30 Post by NJWilliam »

I had to just dive in a work through it all once, knowing it would keep changing and changing and changing.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#31 Post by Bhart »

No hurry guys. It's going to be a slow start up on this game. I know there's alot to digest. :)

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#32 Post by Bhart »

Recklessfireball wrote:Even with the calculator, creating a character in this game makes my head hurt. I'm almost ready just to say the hell with it and use the template from the book. :?
There is absolutely no shame in that. :D

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#33 Post by Bhart »

ChubbyPixie wrote:Hey, guys. I've been super busy... BUT... I have managed to read most of the 5th edition rules and have several concepts for magi. I will post more in detail tomorrow.

One idea is for an aquatic themed magi - possibly with an undine faerie heritage and a fish or crab familiar. Not sure.

Another one is a magi who's focused on the "in-between" state of elements: smoke, mist, mud, etc. Not sure if this is a great idea, or if it's just dumb.
There are no dumb ideas. We can make it work.

This saga is taking place in the Rhine valley. Many of the potential covenant sites are on or near the Rhine river, so an aquatic magus would do well.

Recklessfireball
Ranger
Ranger

#34 Post by Recklessfireball »

I've been kicking this around in my head overnight...

Tried finishing out the character I started and lost patience with it.
Thought about tweaking the pre-gen Flambeau from the core book and realized that would be almost as frustrating, if I really wanted to mold the character to my liking.
Considered using one of the pre-gens that Bhart has so thoughtfully provided, but decided that running pre-gens just doesn't appeal to me.

I think I just need to acknowledge that this game isn't for me, and that I'll be stinking up the air with my noxious attitude, if I stick it out and play anyway. That being the case, I've decided to withdraw from the game and I hope that no one will be offended by it. I want to assure everyone that it has nothing to do with the GM or players (all of whom are great, and have been very helpful to me). It's just, some games I can't really wrap my head around and, unfortunately, this happens to be one of them.

So thanks to Bhart for letting me have a shot at playing and I hope you guys have a blast with the game. The setting and concept is awesome and should make for some great stories! :D

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#35 Post by Bhart »

Well I hope you will at least lurk and see how the game works out. If at anytime you reconsider and want to give it another try you are always welcome to join us. :)

Everyone,
I know the game can be tough to get started in. I would hate for anyone to quit and miss out on the fun because of the frustration a new system can cause, so if anyone is having problems I can help you. Just explain to me the kind of character you are going for and I can give you a couple of simple builds (or even a complete character) to get you playing.

Once you start playing the rules will become much easier to grasp. Many of you have expressed concern that you are building a "useless" character. Do not worry about this. It is not as big of a concern as it would be in D&D. If there are any egregious problems I'll catch them and help you sort them out before play starts.

Another thing to consider...Your characters will play through decades of game time and will grow and change more than the typical D&D character does. They could end up very different than when you started. Plus if a character is not working then you can just create another!

The campaign centers on the covenant not a single group of characters. The covenant is one big pool of characters, some come and go, others hang around the whole campaign. It's never a problem to add more. Each player can really have as many different characters as they like.

So my point is don't worry so much about the little details. Just make a character that seems fun and give it a try. If it doesn't work out like you think, then toss it out and try something new! Ars Magica can tolerate the constant replacement of characters, take advantage of that if you need to. :D

Recklessfireball
Ranger
Ranger

#36 Post by Recklessfireball »

I will definitely lurk and observe the game. I am strongly considering making up a grog of some sort, but right now I think I'm just not in the right "head space" to tackle this game- even with a simpler character. Also, I've been considering how much time I have to devote to the other games I'm currently involved in, and I want to make sure I don't stretch myself to thin. So for now, I'm just going to observe the game as it progresses. ;)

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#37 Post by Bhart »

Very good, I don't want anything interfering with that Star Frontiers game. :lol:
Seriously though, just let me know when the time is right. We'll save a seat for you. :)

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#38 Post by Bhart »

Congratulations on the book Ben. I'll have to check it out.

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Hey, guys. I plan to post an outline for a magus in the next few days. It will most likely be my Aquam focused concept with a little Terram thrown in. Kind of a recessive element / Neptunian idea. I really like the character outlines I've seen posted so far. Fun stuff.

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#40 Post by Bhart »

ChubbyPixie wrote:Hey, guys. I plan to post an outline for a magus in the next few days. It will most likely be my Aquam focused concept with a little Terram thrown in. Kind of a recessive element / Neptunian idea. I really like the character outlines I've seen posted so far. Fun stuff.
Looking forward to seeing what you have come up with. :)

Return to “Ars Magica - A New Covenant”