Blackened Forest: Surveys & Survivors.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Blackened Forest: Surveys & Survivors.

#101 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Took 14 hp loss from ettin damage...5 hp left. Healed by Brother Symeon for 5hp now at 10 HP for Durgo..Sheet updated and Arrows updated.

Durgo will try shield bash to push the ettin over as he drops his bow and draws his sword to attack.

[1d20+2]=6+2=8, Shield Bash, if successful gains a bonus to hit next round

[1d20+1]=17+1=18, S/M dmg [1d8+3]=7+3=10, L dmg [1d12+3]=6+3=9

"Thank ye brother Symeon the healing of St. Ygg is most appreciated. Let's finish this beast folks...."
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Spearmint »

Chalk Cliff Ettin.

The melee reaches a critical stage, almost wiped out with a battering strike, Durgo is rushed to by Brother Symeon who raises his health and morale +5hp in time for the warrior to use his own almost ogrish strength and strike back with a lunging stab. -9hp

It is a deathly blow to one of the Ettin's heads, sliced across the throat, it begins to gurgle blood.

While Cara Crow & Squirrel miss with their attacks, Fydmar gets in a second deadly blow, -6hp. Genaromes invokes another incarnation of his Magic Missile, -4hp

The Ettin staggers, dropping his weapons and lurching precariously over the edge of the Chalk Cliff. BabeRuth helps his wobble, giving the giant-kin a rear kick and then over he falls to crash on the ground below.

Giant-slayers! The group can rejoice in some excellent attacks that saved their heads and hides. You can go explore his cave ...

and here I will add that I though rather than waiting and waiting for the Ettin, you might have used some distraction, for example the enchanted Clockwork Mouse.
Durgo: 10/19hp
Fydmar: 16/16hp
Bro Symeon: 8/10hp
Genaromes: 4/4hp

Cara Crow: 15/15hp
Squirrel: 4/4hp

I am going to presume that you deal with the Ettin in some way, decide what you do? Add his head to the stakes or even cleanse them all in one huge pyre?

The Ettin's cave complex is serviceable as an overnight camping place. It has three large Large utensils and stores, crates of seasonal 'forest fayre', harvested in various forages such as root vegetables, wild herbs, bull rushes, barrels of water, stolen ale kegs, strips of edible fungi. Bushmeat; 'skewered rat, centipedes, vulture carcasses hung up to tenderise, portions of rent apart deer, other indistinguishable meat but of humanoid origins ...

No children.

But treasure. Not exactly gold coins but searching you can find his hoard which contains:

Six large bearskins, in need of proper curing.
Four spears, large and much like a pike staff in terms of length and heaviness of the broad head. While the Ettin might not be challenged throwing one, a human might. Great weapons vs a charging horseman. They are exceptionally crafted, not magical but extra stout, giving a bonus increase to impaling damage.

His collection of 'pretty stone eggs', colourful ornamental base gems, each the size of an egg. +55

Ettin trove: Ornamental stones [5d20]=55

Ettin: ad-hoc pieces of silver [3d10]=16 & copper [3d10]=15 x100sp or cp.

+1,600sp & 1,500cp in pouched coins.

Animal trinkets made from carved bones, tusks, antlers or feathers. Caricature rudely carved pieces that have novelty 'bazaar value' as items but you can collect a small sack of them.

actions please.

Deal with the body and any aftermath of the encounter. If you camp here, (it is evening know and you might predict if the Gnolls know of this place they do well to stay away), actions for the next day. (Go in search of Gnolls, etc)

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#103 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo says, "What a fight my friends...Perhaps we can better our tactics in future encounters ey? We probably need to burn the Ettin and the other heads to clean this place up. Praise be to St. Ygg for my life Brother Symeon. Good job everyone for your efforts too."

Durgo helps set up a pyre and get all the other heads with the others help unless a different process is chosen.

"I'd like a spear I think probably not to throw, but to set for a charge maybe. I am curious about the eggs and other things. Bear hide. Brother do you think the food hear is edible? Does it need a blessing? We can use a rest and some healing."
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#104 Post by kwll »

Genaromes looks at the items found in the lair for anything magical. He also helps to prepare the pyre to be used to burn the creature's corpse.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#105 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
I say we use this giant's lair as a camp to rest & heal. If agree: I'll take first watch.

Sorry guys, I guess I really didn't understand the situation with this encounter.
Here is what I thought was happening (please correct my errors):
The ettin was down below as was Cara, while the rest of us were on top of the cliff. We surprised it with the boulders. Thought about the mouse, but didn't see how I could use it to distract the creature below with Fydmar on top of the cliff.
It then got initiative and threw one boulder back at us, while at the same time attacking Cara. Our cliff archers fired arrows at it.
It then argued with itself about what to do, deciding to climb at us instead of chasing Cara.
Genaromes & Symeon roll the last boulder at it as it climbs. Durgo fires 2 arrows. (nothing for Fydmar). Then the ettin attacks, wounding
We melee it & it dies.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Spearmint »

I acted on these posts:
Signalling others, you can gather outside the cave entrance, aware one if not more ogre-plus sized creatures dwell inside.
we should back away and keep our distance. Maybe spy from the ridge to confirm suspicions.
this action was agreed by others, so I had characters above the entrance and Cara Crow spying from ground level.

Ettin eventually appears. You throw four boulders from above, hitting with one which it throws back missing you. Cara misses with two arrows, it misses her with a swipe.

You then attack again, scoring a critical arrow, a normal hit and the magic missile as it climbs up. It swipes Durgo who gets some healing back. He hits it again as does another magic missile and Fydmar's crossbow damage. It receives -53hp, enough to slay it over only three rounds of combat.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#107 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

"Yeah, Let's rest my friends...Hard fought battle. Healing kit's might help here too maybe Brother Symeon can get us all healthy with them or magic before resting? I'll take any watch that you prefer not to take. I can use a hooded lanter and a special trinket I have that will act as a bullseye lantern for sounds further away I want to spot as needed. I'll conserve it as much as possible. I will not use the last hour of the trinket though.

Durgo cleans up, eats and organizes the gear for Gen to check for magic or split for group, cleans/sharpens his weapon and tries to recover any arrows before sunset.

I didn't find the arrow recovery method in the house rules, but I had my man eyes in. LOL Also not sure on combat concerns.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by Spearmint »

I didn't find the arrow recovery method in the house rules,

Missiles thrown by hand: may be recovered with a little searching. Arrows, crossbow bolts, sling bullets or stones that miss at long range or medium range are lost unless a turn is spent searching the area, supposing it safe to do so.

Of those that hit, roll a 50/50% yes/no for each that may be reusable.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#109 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Thanks DM....

Durgo looks for the arrows he fired at the ettin and hit with.

[1d100]=8, [1d100]=1 vs 1-50 = Arrow Recovered otherwise lost.

2 added back to inventory.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#110 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
(rummages in backpack) Don't have any first aid kits, but do I have a healing potion. Durgo? (offers potion)
And while I'm at it... Brother Symeon, perhaps with your wisdom, it would make more sense for you to have this (offers him clockwork mouse)

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#111 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo waves off the offered potion, "I got one friend...I was just thinking it'd be a waste with the healer kit I have might be enough. Brother Symeon might do better with it. Worst case scenario though I'll take my potion of healing. Brother Symeon care to help a fella out with this healer's kit? Here you can use this one."

Durgo hands over his healer kit.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Spearmint »

Ettin's Cave,

North-East end of Chalk Cliff, Blackened Forest, north of Helix.

June 29th 1066.
Genaromes looks at the items found in the lair for anything magical.
There is nothing magical in the cave, the Ettin living a spartan lifestyle, exalting his stature to promote his fierceness and aggression by erecting a picket line of decapitated victims to border his lair. What he has collected is noted and despite his exaggerated 'neanderthal' persona, he (or they) have crafted items of quality purpose. The pikes for example would certainly grace the armoury of any troop, the bearskins taken as pelts in skillful manner and soaked in a salty wash to kill the bugs and worm eggs that might cling to the hairs or skin. There is a farrier in Helix, Falstaff that could craft cloaks or other garments of choice from them.

Brother Symeon uses 1st Aid Kit vs 18 Wisdom [4d6]=17 [1d4]=3

Brother Symeon can check over the bruised and battered Durgo, assessing his fractured ribs beneath his dented armour. He binds him using the 1st Aid, the bandages helping to promote healing +3hp.

The Ettin is dealt with, the stake-heads removed and burned. Trove is gathered for division later, loaded onto BabeRuth along with
crates of seasonal 'forest fayre', harvested in various forages such as root vegetables, wild herbs, bull rushes, barrels of water, stolen ale kegs, strips of edible fungi. Bushmeat; 'skewered rat, centipedes, vulture carcasses hung up to tenderise, portions of rent apart deer,
"Could these be a gift to ingratiate ourselves to any Gnoll community?" Squirrel asks, cooking up a banquet from the finds for the evening meal, a midnight feast of roasted haunches. The cave is surprisingly comfortable, maybe it is the homely halfling fayre or glory of surviving a harrowing encounter as each person also benefits from 'recuperation' +1hp that would normally only be restored in more civilized settings.

Durgo: 14/19hp
Bro Symeon: 9/10hp

BabeRuth:

The night goes without intrusion. You can sleep in and take turns washing from the water barrel. Able to set off again.

my general understanding is you plan to return to the Svirfneblin Sinkhole top, by the 'cargo lift' abd from there try and find the Gnoll tribes. Correct me if you prefer other exploration plans.

Actions please

DrRenfield
Guide
Guide

#113 Post by DrRenfield »

Brother Symeon

Symeon will cast Cure Light Wounds on Durgo before praying for his day's spells (3 more cure light wounds).

Cure Light Wounds [1d8]=8

If that timing isn't kosher, I'll mark off a clw for today. My apologies for the delay on posting

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Spearmint »

If that timing isn't kosher, I'll mark off a clw for today. My apologies for the delay on posting
Okay, just checking. You actually appropriated three CLW's for this day, of which you only cast one before. You could bless yourself with the last one and then at dawn do your devotions to receive a new allocation. Just mark which on your sheet in the 'spells: memorized' section.

Updated health:

Durgo: 19/19hp
Bro Symeon: 10/10hp

BabeRuth:

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#115 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

I was thinking work our way toward the Svirfneblin Sinkhole top, to look for the Gnolls to parley so we can hopefully find the kids. Hopefully one of them knows common.

"Ahh bless you Brother Symeon...St Ygg be praised. I feel anew. Thank you for breakfast Squirl. Good work everyone. Take stock of your inventory. I'm down my healer's kit but it was well used. Money well spent if you ask me. If we have any further encounters let's try to use some tactics to our advantage. It's on us to keep each other alive and not take unnecessary risks. If we don't have to fight let's not. There may be times we'll prefer to fight, resources or territory disputes or survival or St. Ygg would require it. We help and look after each other. We watch over those not as seasoned so they can become seasoned adventurers. When everyone is ready Cara lead us out, please.

Recommended unless it's already set. Marching order Cara and Fydmar, Brother Symeon, Squirl and Baberuth, Gen, Durgo. Does that sound ok?

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#116 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
Durgo, I don't know if you will be able to parley with gnolls. They are likely to attack us on sight, probably an ambush.
I'll watch for the ranger's signals, she's best scouting ahead I would say.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#117 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo nods to Fydmar saying to all, "Aye you're probably right, but they have been dealing with the ones in the caverns and might possibly give pause to parley. If it comes to fighting that's what they shall get. Our goal though is to search for the kids or secure their release if they be captured by the gnolls. We also want to map the area for future expeditions to make good time and should there be boundary concerns those should be well marked on a map. Let's pray to St. Ygg that our endeavors go well for our expedition. Everyone let's be quiet and watchful/alert. Watch the skies, tree tops, and all around."

Durgo readies his bow for the moment arrow nocked but not drawn.

Durgo makes sure Cara is aware of the directions to the cavern entrance and to steer towards the presumed gnoll grounds.

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#118 Post by kwll »

Genaromes agrees with the plan, although he is concerned. "How far deep into Gnoll territory can the scout go? And wouldn't a direct confrontation make us dearly outnumbered?" he asks, while following Durgo's directions.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#119 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

"A good point Gen, but I'm betting we don't get far. I'm betting there are scouts all over as we get closer. Cara just go slow once we get closer to the cavern entrance. I'd like to map along the way or join you Gen..I'd like to also look for terrain once we get closer Cara that gives us an advantage in combat should it come to that. Fydmar, Brother Symeon Squirrel and Baberuth should be our eyes and ears and noses along the way. Of course I appreciate all suggetions and Don't hesitate to make a judgement call to change our course. We're all in this.

Durgo gets his cartography kit and works on their current location with rough sketches with distances from the major markers of the area and to helix. Once they head out he'll work with Gen to assist them in theirs to learn from and perhaps provide a better outcome.

If alerted to danger he'll stow his cartography kit and draw bow or sword and shield.

DrRenfield
Guide
Guide

#120 Post by DrRenfield »

Brother Symeon

Brother Symeon will walk with morning star and shield in hand.

Parley is unlikely, but our best chance for it is not appearing friendly, but rather appearing too dangerous to molest.

"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you"

Return to “Completed Expeditions”