hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Menace Under Otari

#1 Post by hedgeknight »

Inner Sea Region, Starstone Isle, Otari Fishery Basement
Desnus, Fireday 5, 4719 AR, Approx. 9 PM

"Well then!" Tamily exclaims. "Let's hear it for these brave volunteers!"
There is a rather loud round of applause for the five who have stepped forward to check out the menace under the Otari Fishery. Tankards are raised, shouts of "good luck" ring out through the place, along with a few "don't get eaten" shouts as well. Once you've agreed to take the conversation to a quieter locale, Tamily shows you the stairs leading into the basement, and you head down. "Ten gold pieces to each of you once you put an end to this menace. I'm so happy you've come to our town to help with this. See you soon!"

The stairs leading into the basement of the Otari Fishery creak with age as you make your way downstairs to find the beast that has been eating all the fish. In the center of the room, between stone pillars holding up the fishery overhead, are barrels filled with salted fish. Two of these barrels have been smashed open, spilling their contents on the floor. In the east wall is a large hole, opening into darkness.

MUO Basement 1.jpg
MUO Basement 1.jpg (641.82 KiB) Viewed 527 times

Alright fellers, let's do this! I have pawns for just about everyone, but I ordered some more today and they should arrive by Sunday. Once they do, everyone will have their own pawn. For now, pick a color. I don't care which. The little red circle is Lulu. I'm going to follow the adventure module fairly closely. As for combat, we'll walk through that together. Please remind me of your skills, feats, etc as your character acts. So, go ahead and post. You can discuss what you are going to do as a group, but also give me an action for your character. Perhaps you conferred on the stairs before entering the room; that's cool too. Here we go!
Winter is coming...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#2 Post by Rex »

Khawla

Khawla is the purple pawn.

Khawla will move north 1 square and examine the barrels to see if she can determine anything. How was the barrel opened/damaged? Evidence of teeth marks, blood, hair, dried saliva etc.

"I wonder if I can tell anything about what did this from this mess."

I have Nature (+6) and Perception (+6), not sure what else I have would apply here.

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#3 Post by Belkregos »

OOC: i'll pick orange for Gurkan, so, Lulu is red and Gurkan orange

Gurrkan takes a moment to look at the space as he walks in to the basement then moves to examine the open barrels (he is looking for signs of claws or tools)
Stitches:- 1st lvl Halfling-Rogue: basics HP:9, AC:14, init.:+3, Sw/Bow: +5 to hit/1d6+3 dam +Sneak attack!

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Computer +1 »

Tumbler claims the white pawn

Tumbler is content to let the others start looking around. He doesn't know anyone and what they are skilled at so he instead uses his Perception (+6) to study his new companions.
Last edited by Computer +1 on Fri May 12, 2023 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by ateno »

I got the Blue then.

Tuga will go over to the hole and the sides of the wall around it and use Pursue a Lead.

ives me a bonus to perception and other skills for this investigation

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#6 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Guess that means I'm green (fine by me, it's my favorite color anyway.)

Elwood less concerned with the barrels and the stuff on the shelves more interested in what made that big ass hole in the wall goes over to it to investigate. "Somethin' really durned big had ta make this ere hole. Don't yah think?"

I'm guessing Nature maybe? Nature +2, or Perception +7 might apply here. If it is Investigatrion I don't even have a stat for that listed.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rex »

I don't have Investigation either, but I think you can still use skills you don't have you just don't add the trained/level bonus.

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#8 Post by Belkregos »

Gurkan
whistles and clicks to Lulu indicating her to stay alert then examines the barrels and area around it looking for tracks or signs of what opened the barrels (were claws or tools used to force the barrels?)

track roll
Survival [1d20+3]=11+3=14

while examining the area he addresses Tamily and the group
10 gold might be good enough for Lulu and me, but let's see what we're getting into...and what we're working with.. 

to Tamily
anything else you can tell us? When did you first notice something, has anyone seen anything?

to the group
"I understand we just met and might not know what each other is good at. For me, I can say I can hold my own in a fight and I'm good at tracking"

then conveys any insight he might have gotten from the track roll

Track (Survival)
Skill (Survival)
ConcentrateExplorationMove
You follow tracks, moving at up to half your travel Speed, using the rules on page 479). After a successful check to Track, you can continue following the tracks at half your Speed without attempting additional checks for up to 1 hour. In some cases, you might Track in an encounter. In this case, Track is a single action and doesn't have the exploration trait, but you might need to roll more often because you're in a tense situation. The GM determines how often you must attempt this check.

You attempt your Survival check when you start Tracking, once every hour you continue tracking, and any time something significant changes in the trail. The GM determines the DCs for such checks, depending on the freshness of the trail, the weather, and the type of ground.

Success You find the trail or continue to follow the one you're already following.
Failure You lose the trail but can try again after a 1-hour delay.
Critical Failure You lose the trail and can't try again for 24 hours.
Sample Track Tasks
Untrained the path of a large army following a road
Trained relatively fresh tracks of a rampaging bear through the plains
Expert a nimble panther's tracks through a jungle, tracks after the rain
Master tracks after a winter snow, tracks of a mouse or smaller creature, tracks left on surfaces that can't hold prints like bare rock
Legendary old tracks through a windy desert's sands, tracks after a major blizzard or hurricane
Stitches:- 1st lvl Halfling-Rogue: basics HP:9, AC:14, init.:+3, Sw/Bow: +5 to hit/1d6+3 dam +Sneak attack!

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by Belkregos »

Rex wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:24 pm I don't have Investigation either, but I think you can still use skills you don't have you just don't add the trained/level bonus.
Investigate
Exploration
Concentrate Exploration
You seek out information about your surroundings while traveling at half speed. You use Recall Knowledge as a secret check to discover clues among the various things you can see and engage with as you journey along. You can use any skill that has a Recall Knowledge action while Investigating, but the GM determines whether the skill is relevant to the clues you could find.

there is a list with actions in the character sheet from the pathbuilder2e
if you click on the word " actions" in the list in the middle of the character sheet

Weapons Defense Gear Spells Pets Details Feats Actions

a drop down menu with a list of cations and their descriptions rolls etc
Attachments
chrt.png
chrt.png (760.14 KiB) Viewed 553 times

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by hedgeknight »

FYI > Tamily is not with you in the basement. She showed you the way down. I'm going to address Gurkan's convo with Tamily prior to going downstairs.
Belkregos wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:52 pm Gurkan addresses Tamily and the group.
10 gold might be good enough for Lulu and me, but let's see what we're getting into...and what we're working with.. 
anything else you can tell us? When did you first notice something, has anyone seen anything?
As the others make their way down the stairs, Tamily says, "Nothing I can think of. We started noticing something tampering with the barrel about two weeks ago, but didn't think much of it. But day before yesterday, it was obvious something was down there, powerful enough to break open barrels."

Once downstairs, your characters start taking action. Khawla steps up to one of the open barrels, which is pretty much empty, and notices teeth marks on the wooden, but also notices marks from what could be some sort of weapon.

Gurkan moves to the other open barrel and notices the same type of marks. Lulu stays near him on alert.

While Tumbler stays put, Tuga and Elwood walk over to examine the hole in the wall.
"Somethin' really durned big had ta make this ere hole. Don't yah think?"
Tuga answers by stooping down and picking up a large tuft of dark gray fur.

As the Gnome and Dwarf examine the rubble, Lulu's head snaps up and she hisses...a strange chittering comes from the hole in the wall. Suddenly, a massive rat the size of a dog emerges from the darkness...and it isn't alone! The giant rats rush twoard you, their huge teeth snapping.

Our first combat! There are six giant rats; five black ones, and one old silver fellow.
I need the following from each of you:
1/ Roll initiative > this is a d20 + your Perception bonus.
2/ Actions > you may have up to 3 depending on what you do. Symbols on your character sheet will tell you if what you want to do is a single, double, or triple action.
3/ Reaction, assuming you are able to give one.

If you have questions, just ask the group in OOC or you can ask me in your private forum.
Attachments
MUO Basement Rats 1.jpg
MUO Basement Rats 1.jpg (968.62 KiB) Viewed 544 times
Winter is coming...

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by Belkregos »

here we go!

Gurkans actions
1- declare hunted prey (the rat in front of Gurkan)
2- draw weapons
3- command Lulu to attack

Lulus actions
1- Twin takedown attack
2- second attack

initiative (+7): perception +5; incredible initiative feat +2

Lulus Twin takedown attack (description below)

Lulus second attack on the hunted prey (description of unted prey below)

Hunt Prey
Hunt Prey
Class
You designate a single creature as your prey and focus your attacks against that creature. You must be able to see or hear the prey, or you must be tracking the prey during exploration.

You gain a +2 circumstance bonus to Perception checks when you Seek your prey and a +2 circumstance bonus to Survival checks when you Track your prey. You also ignore the penalty for making ranged attacks within your second range increment against the prey you’re hunting.

You can have only one creature designated as your prey at a time. If you use Hunt Prey against a creature when you already have a creature designated, the prior creature loses the designation and the new prey gains the designation. Your designation lasts until your next daily preparations.
Twin Takedown
Twin Takedown
FlourishRanger
Feat Source Class Feat Level 1

Frequency once per round
Requirements You are wielding two melee weapons, each in a different hand.
You swiftly attack your hunted prey with both weapons. Make two Strikes against your hunted prey, one with each of the required weapons. If both hit the same hunted prey, combine their damage for the purpose of its resistances and weaknesses. Apply your multiple attack penalty to each Strike normally.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by ateno »

Tuge, slightly surprised by the sudden rush, apprised the situation and quickly draws his kukri and strikes at the one in front of him.

int [1d20+5]=16+5=21 strike [1d20+5]=9+5=14 kukri damage[1d6]=4

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rex »

Khawla

Initiative [1d20+6]=18+6=24

Raises Shield (AC 18)
Attacks with her scimitar
Scimitar [1d20+5]=20+5=25 to hit [1d6+2]=6+2=8 damage
Natural 20 plus max damage, critical deals 14 hp damage

GreyWolfVT

#14 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Elwood refkexes and experience taking action he draws his Flachion and swings at the first giant rat emerging. He attempts to strike precisely at the thing trying to end it quickly.

Init [1d20+7]=11+7=18
Falchion [1d20+7]=19+7=26 to hit [1d10+4]=10+4=14 dmg +2 with Precise Strike Precision. I am attempting to attack using precise strike
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by Computer +1 »

Tumbler reacts quickly to the threat as he finds his dagger instantly in his hand. He takes a step towards the fight but doesn't immediately join in. If holds to aid anyone in real trouble.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by hedgeknight »

Aw Rats!

Giant Rat.png
Giant Rat.png (138.33 KiB) Viewed 486 times

Boiling out of the hole like a geyser, giant rats flood the room, chittering and snapping their teeth as they attack!
Khawla is ready and as an enormous rat runs at her, she steps forward and slices it in half with her scimitar!
Slightly surprised, Tuga quickly draws his kukri and swipes at the big rat leaping at him. He slices a few hairs off the back of its head...and then it is on him! The rat sinks its teeth in the top of Tuga's shoulder, and blood spurts from the wound!
The coppery smell of blood mixed with the stink of rodent fills the air and the rats go into a frenzy!
Elwood finds himself backpedaling as a rat leaps at him, biting him deep in the thigh! Grunting in pain, the Dwarf shakes the rat free and slices it to the bone with his falchion, killing it instantly!
Rats attack Gurkan and Lulu, but the pair manage to avoid the sharp teeth of the rodents. While Gurkan gives instructions, Lulu snaps her giant rat foe (nearly as big as her) in her teeth and shakes it like a dog would a...rat! It dies from the thrashing and she tries to bite the one closest to her friend, but misses.
While Tumbler hesitates, the big silvery rat does not, charging right at the Dwarf and leaping on him, sinking its yellowed teeth in the side of his neck! Blood spurts into the air and Tumbler is suddenly in trouble!

Actions!

About Critical Hits:
The way I'm reading the PF2 rules is a critical hit (or critical success as they call it) can happen any time an attack or check succeeds by 10 or more (pg. 444-446 of the CR). Amazingly we had two crits in this round, and nearly three!

PC Stats & Effects:
Elwood - AC 17, HP 17/22
Gurkan - AC 18, HP 19
Khawla - AC 18/16, HP 17
Tuga - AC 17, HP 12/18
Tumbler - AC 18, HP 14/20
Lulu - AC 16, HP 14

Initiative Order:
Khawla (24), Tuga (21), Rats (21), Elwood & Gurkan (18)

Rolls:
Attachments
MUO Rats 2.jpg
MUO Rats 2.jpg (510.39 KiB) Viewed 486 times
Winter is coming...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Rex »

Khawla

Khawla moves to attack the silver rat.

Scimitar [1d20+5]=1+5=6 to hit [1d6+2]=1+2=3 damage

Classic Rex, natural 20 to natural 1.

GreyWolfVT

#18 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Elwood moves to aide Tuga with the rat.

Falchion [1d20+7]=19+7=26 to hit [1d10+4]=1+4=5 dmg

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by Belkregos »

Gurkan
seeing the fat grey rat run pass him Gurkan moves to flank it with Tumbler at the opposite side and attacks with both weapons

Gurkans actions
1- declare hunted prey (changes to the grey rat)
2- moves to flank
3- attack (tween takedown)

OOC: edited Gurkans actions as i forgot that moving takes an action and can only do his tween takedown attack

Lulu- attacks the next closest rat
Lulus actions
1- attack closest rat
2- second attack closest rat

Flanking and Flat Footed
Flanking
Source Core Rulebook pg. 476 4.0
When you and an ally are flanking a foe, it has a harder time defending against you. A creature is flat-footed (taking a –2 circumstance penalty to AC) to melee attacks from creatures that are flanking it.

To flank a foe, you and your ally must be on opposite sides of the creature. A line drawn between the center of your space and the center of your ally's space must pass through opposite sides or opposite corners of the foe's space. Additionally, both you and the ally have to be able to act, you must be wielding melee weapons or be able to make an unarmed attack, you can't be under any effects that prevent you from attacking, and you must both have the enemy within reach. If you are wielding a reach weapon, you use your reach with that weapon for this purpose.

Flat-Footed
Source Core Rulebook pg. 620 4.0
You’re distracted or otherwise unable to focus your full attention on defense. You take a –2 circumstance penalty to AC. Some effects give you the flat-footed condition only to certain creatures or against certain attacks. Others—especially conditions—can make you universally flat-footed against everything. If a rule doesn’t specify that the condition applies only to certain circumstances, it applies to all of them; for example, many effects simply say “The target is flat-footed.”

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by ateno »

Slicing the Kukri up trying to dislodge the rat.

strike [1d20+5]=15+5=20 dmg [1d6]=2

Return to “Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion (Pathfinder 2e)”