[006] The Daimyo's Peril

Marullus
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

[006] The Daimyo's Peril

#1 Post by Marullus »

It is a month after the trial and execution of Shoshen Makoto; you are treated well, each of you learning and benefitting from the Daimyo's favor upon you, meeting each night together in the private room provided for your meals at the Citadel. Satake Motoyuki, honorable samurai, has been here every night with Keiso, the humble buddhist, and Zenrin, his religious-warrior companion. Saizo, in the guise of a ronin, has just returned from a sojourn in the mountains. It is good to be gathered once more.

Your dinner is interrupted by the arrival of the honorable Washima Kumpei the elderly scholar and advisor who arranged your current situation, who is followed by a strong-looking Oguroyumi woman with a naginata. Kumpei smiles benignly. "A thousand pardons for interupting your dinner. It is a good dinner? Yes? You have been pleased as our guests? Good, good." A servant brings a cushion and he seats himself at your table, indicating this may be a longer or more important talk. The Oguroyumi stands toothed side, observing.

Though, Kumpei coming to you personally already raises some eyebrows and is likely to cause gossip. There has been plenty of gossip already, of course. The Daimyo has not appeared publicly in the month since your audience; his unexpected frailty there is the ember of many a tale's flame since. Some claim he has died and the samurai are hiding this fact to allow the heimin time to cool their heads after the revelations of the coup and Makoto's manipulations. Some say he is merely ill and may die any day, his borther Hidemasa ruling in truth. Others link it to his trip to Toyama, from which he returned less than a week before your audience and before which he was hale and healthy. Within the Citadel, they whisper that Daimyo Fuhito quarrelled with Mizobara Yoshisuke, the lord of Toyama - some say they even fought a duel and Fuhito was wounded. Others worry instead that this insult and incident will break out in war. Some speculate that ninja poison is afflicting him, and speculatet the many parties who may be paying or wishing for it to be so. War with a neighbor, rebellion within, and an absent Daimyo.

"It is good you have enjoyed so much," smiles Kumpei. "Regrettably, though, I must ask for your service and discretion. It is good that you are here so close at hand that you may assist," he nods, growing more solemn. "If you would oblige, I would ask you to take on duty in the sensitve matters of the Citadel. Your promised service, Motoyuki - to stand guard and provide protection of your liege. And that your companion may aid you," he adds, acknowledging Saizo-the-Ronin. "But in truth, is the buddhists to whom I would appeal.
I fear there is something uncanny about the Daimyo's affliction, but his own physician and wisemen have thus far found no cause nor relief. I am hoping that, perhaps, fresh and less tired eyes, others gifted with wisdom of the Buddha, might prevail..."

His request is that you come with him at the conclusion of dinner to take turn guarding the Daimyo's quarters in the night and to see if you can discern there what others might have missed.

Go ahead and roleplay over dinner. You may ask questions.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [006] The Daimyo's Peril

#2 Post by Marullus »

*bump*

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by jemmus »

Zenrin
I would be pleased to show my gratitude for the daimyo kindness and generosity this month by standing guard. Perhaps the Buddha's compassion may be shown toward a solution.

[Saizo]
I will of course be happy to provide what humble service I can.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Marullus »

*bump* Rex, you are the Oguroyumi woman who arrived with Washima Kumpei. If you can post here to introduce a first impression of your character? Also, tell me what skill you want to improve in downtime over here.

Then, if there's no discussion among the group or questions for Kumpei, I'll move the scene to you standing night watch for the Daimyo.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rex »

Oguroyumi Gozen

Gozen joins her new companions at for dinner. "I am Gozen san. I have come from the mountains of my birth to serve as a body guard for the daimyo as my uncle has served before me."

She seems to be a quite sort with a bit of back country way about her.

Sorry everyone, I was subscribed to this forum but not getting notifications for this thread for some reason. I unsubscribed and subscribed again, hopefully that fixes it.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by ffilz »

Keiso will query about what seems to be afflicting the daimyo (physician BCS 12, let me know if I need a roll for that).
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Marullus »

Nice. Post a roll and I'll let you examine him when we change the scene. For now, finalize the social RP as you meet Gozen before we move on.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:56 am Nice. Post a roll and I'll let you examine him when we change the scene. For now, finalize the social RP as you meet Gozen before we move on.
Ok. Call got the roll later. I can’t make rolls from my phone.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by jemmus »

When the kind of countrified, long naginata-wielding female bushi Gozen enters, Saizo looks into her eyes and immediately wants to something to his companions Matoyuki, Keiso, and Zenrin. But as an eta ninja in the guise of an impoverished ronin bushi, he bides his time. It's a thing ninja are quite good at.

The sohei Zen warrior-monk Zenrin, after days of teaching in philosophy and theology, eventually catches Saizo's signal and call. He humbly and with utmost courteous and respect to another person bows at the waist. In that position, he states: I am called Kamine no Zenrin. We are ronin, but before we bore the surname of Kamine. I will say in truth, I came here to avenge the death of my

Saizo, in the guise of lean and poorly-clothed ronin foot soldier or warehouse or caravan guard, rises to his feet. He looks the naginata-wielding bushi in the eye, and bows from the waist. I am called Kamine no Zenrin. If I may say so, a naginata is a fearsome long weapon. It can cut a person in two with one good stroke....
Last edited by jemmus on Tue May 30, 2023 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCs

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rex »

Gozen

Gozen grins back at the last comment. "It is a fearsome weapon in the right hands."

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by ffilz »

Keiso will politely greet Gozen, but will not get much into the discussion of weaponry. He will bless the newcomer.

Nope...

Not so good...

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Marullus »

Thanks for your patience... I'm back from my vacation and will try to get this moving again!

Polite conversation of little import, along with praise for the long-bladed naginata as a weapon, serves to fill the time until you've finished your dinner. You are given leave to go and prepare yourselves in your quarters (advised to don your armor for the night's guard services, which you wouldn't have worn just to dinner). At the appointed hour, you arrive at the outer entrance to the Daimyo's quarters and meet Washima Kumpei there. He vouches for you and leads you through the hallways to the bedchamber.

The bedchamber is thick with the smoke of incense, fragrant and cloying. The Daimyo lies upon the bed, breathing shallow in a fitful sleep. He is pale and thinner than when you saw him a month ago, dark circles under his eyes, his hair uncharistically unkempt. Three physicians fuss around him, applying ointments and conversing amongst themselves in a quiet tone. With the arrival of Kumpei, they wrap up and bowing long to the elder, depart. Two day guards also are dismissed, leaving you all alone with Kumpei and the sleeping Daimyo. Keiso gingerly approaches, looking over the Daimyo cautiously. He sees no physical wounds of any kind, just a wasting that results in an unhealthy skinny-ness. Muscles in his arms and legs are wrapped in dried poultices, fragrant this close, and religious artifacts are positioned on his chest - three sachets of red ribbon and a small golden buddha figurine. He looks significantly older than the elderly Kumpei, though you know the Daimyo should be only in early middle-age.

"The vigil strains and exhausts everyone," apologizes Kumpei. "Gozen will be here tonight to represent his personal guard, Motoyuki the nobility, and his life is personally in your hands and upon your honor. There are always two, to watch. Your companions Zenrin and Saizo are also your responsibility, of course. Keiso, I appreciate your insight, as his condition eludes the physicians. They cluck like chickens but have no insight into the cause of his wasting. I will return with the dawn to see you relieved and hear your report. Hopefully this night passes without disruption... many do. But some have him waking to night terrors, after which his condition worsens. It has been some weeks without improvement... as before, we trust your discretion, as the Daimyo must be seen strong before the city before discontent turns to action."

Kumpei waits a moment for any final questions before he departs and leaves you to your vigil.

Ffilz' failed physician roll is incorporated above. Anyone else that wants to use a skill roll to investigate something in the scene can roll it as well.

Saizo, give me a Wit ST to memorize the layout of the Daimyo's private quarters for later recall. ;)

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by ffilz »

Keiso will observe the daimyo with his insight (Perceive Truth):

That's better...

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by jemmus »

Zenrin
I am only a sohei with much greater knowledge of the fighting arts than matters of the spirit. But I have heard that possession by an evil spirit can cause affliction such as this. With your permission, I would like to see if a spirit can be driven out of the body. Should I succeed or fail, the attempt will cause the daimyo no harm.

The warrior monk prays to the Buddha in his aspect as a divine purger and driver of demons. But no spirit is sensed leaving the lord.
Theology and Wit averaged, BCS is 5. [1d20]=11
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Marullus »

Full disclosure: This "what's wrong with the Daimyo" section is supposed to commission you as investigators and let you take several game sessions at the game table to do lengthly investigation around the city with freeform RP until you collect all the clues. Examination with the Physician skill is supposed to be a Task that you struggle with for many days. Gathering evidence from the spiritual phenomena happens over many nights of watch duty with different tidbits granted.

Once you have all the clues, you get to go on an adventure. You just completed a sleuthing / social RP chapter and our play-by-post format is slower and doesn't work as well for it. You also asked to get back to a more traditional adventure type. I am just being upfront that I'm consolidating a lot here to get us to something you all have said would be more fun. :)
Keiso and Zenrin strongly suspect some supernatural cause - Keiso is quite confident that, though the lingering effects of the spirit remain, it is not present now and there are no illusions clouding the reality of this situation. Zenrin prays over the sedated Daimyo but confirms their is no possession taking place at this particular time. With nothing to do but wait, Kumpei bids you farewell for your night's watch and leaves the room.

Motoyuki and Gozen take responsibility for organizing the night watch. Saizo is able to discreetly inspect the room and its windows, finding no sign of clandestine entry that might indicate a ninja causing the blame for supernatural causes. Hours pass with nothing but the rattling breath of the Daimyo to ease the monotony. It is around midnight when the Daimyo wakes, wide-eyed and delerious, springing from his bed with surprising fervor. "The Eyes! The Eyes! Amaterasu save me from the Eyes!" He is wild, not recognizing friend from foe in his terror. Despite his weakness, his skill with atemi-wazu is significant and it takes the concerted effort of Motoyuki, Gozen, Zenrin, and Saizo to restrain him until he calms enough to return to the bed. Keiso is not focused on the Daimyo, however. His eyes percieve the truth - a potent and evil presence travelling through the Kakuri-yo to enter the chamber. He attempts to force it to reveal itself, but his efforts are brushed off by the potent entity, then departs on its own.

Washima Kumpei returns in the morning and you relay the nights events. He is grateful for your success. He confesses that these attacks are coming about once a week and each one leaves the Daimyo weaker than the last - the first attack was on the road from Toyama, which is why they suspected the events linked to the Mizobara of that province. With your confirmation that this is supernatural in nature, that means their existing investigations have been chasing nothing. It is getting more difficult for him to keep the condition of the Daimyo concealed - his weakness invites challenge from the other families and war from other provinces, and it must be resolved quickly. He asks you to continue on your current success and pursue the supernatural cause of his affliction.

Alone with the Daimyo and Kumpei, you're able to speak with him before the doctors come and begin administering his sedatives and medicines. Daimyo Fuhito does not know why he is ill, only that he is visited by horrible waking nightmares where he is pursued by someone or something with great luminious eyes. Pushing the idea of a sorcerous origin for his condition, Fuhito falls silent for a long moment. "I confess it is a possibility... I long suspected a plot against me would arise from my old foe, Umai." Umai, he explains, is a Bakemono-kunshu, lord of over the bakemono of the mountains. He is ruthless and avaricious, but keeps his word once it is given. "Long ago, a young samurai bested Umai in a contest of wits - I compelled him to make an oath never to do me harm. Ensuring his hand was stayed was crucial to my own rise - a Daimyo for the province who was unprovoked by the bakemono of the surrounding mountains... none ever knew of this except those closest to me." He trails off in a coughing fit. Kumpai looks deeply concerned and directs that you all let him rest. "Seek out Ichigo, Fuhito tells you, "He is mostly retired as a samurai and no longer required for service. But he was with me during my early encounters with Umai and can lead you through the mountains to Umai's lair."

Kumpei takes you aside and to a room filled with old scrolls. "There are many bakemono in the mountains," he says, "and while Umai is a powerful lord among them, not all pay him obedience. You may find others dislike his rule, as among men." He unrolls a rough map of the mountains, showing the main roads through with clear deliniation and then large unknown areas blank in-between. "Few men besides Fuhito in his youth have braved the mountains, or know what it contains," he says. Saizo realizes he speaks only of samurai as men here, unknowning of the clans or commoners who dwell there. "This scroll speaks of the Valley of Mists, a place known to be mysterious and full of power, important to bakemono. In pre-imperial Nippon, it was a shrine controlled by men, before the bakemono were driven to the mountains and in turn drove men from them. The shinto priests speak of a powerful kami that still dwells there." He rolls up his scrolls, emphasizing to you the importance of your mission, and once again that the condition of the Daimyo not be revealed in the city.

Using the hooks above, what's your plan? It's time to adventure. :)

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by jemmus »

For some reason unknown even to himself, the ninja Saizo is excited by the prospect of an expedition into the mountains of the bakemono. He goes through the mental checklist from his training.
The ultimate objective. What is it? He thinks, "To eliminate the evil spirit's visitations to the daimyo Fuhito-sama."
The target. Its character, its strengths and its weaknesses? "The bakemono lord Umai and its possible information on the spirit visitor. The obvious strength is its command of an unknown number of bakemono fighters. Its weakness is it likely has enemies among the bakemono it doesn't control. That may be a key to open a lock."
Shugendo. What level of magical and spiritual activity could be involved? Here Saizo grows uncertain and unconfident. "A question to be raised."
Hensu-jutsu. Needed, and if so, what is the most effective guise? "Among bakemono, this ronin hensu-jutsu may be effective. They will know that there is an armed human present in the group. Though unarmored. But they would not know of its ninjutsu abilities. Perhaps another guise also, if needed to serve as bait and lure them into a trap. A woman? A peasant mountain hunter?"
The target's protection. What weapons, tactics, or strategems are most effective? "Protection: Umai's unknown number of bakemono followers. The many beasts and yokai of the wild mountains. Insufficient food and hunger."
The group and allies. What are its strengths and weakness versus the target and it protection? "Two well-armed and well-armored professional samurai bushi. An armed and armored bushi-monk with some beginner spiritual powers. A gakusho, with powers of healing, blessing, and exorcism. A ninja. No shugenja. Tactics: The ninja to always scout ahead and call in the powerful bushi to surprise and crush groups of bakemono from behind and the sides."
Equipment. What special equipment is needed, and what can be left behind? "Light, portable food."
The steps to achieving the ultimate goal. What are they? "Obtain equipment and visit the retired samurai Ichigo."

Saizo clears his throat. Excuse me, Kumpei-san. The seated "ronin" leans forward and places his forehead on the tatami mat before him. May each of us have two week's dried rice for the trip to the mountain, and back? And... perhaps a special treat to offer a bakemono along the way? Red meat, perhaps?
PCs

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Rex »

Gozen

Gozen emulates Saizo, "I know I am new to your service but I shall do my best Lord, to seek this Umai out and end these attacks upon you."

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by jemmus »

Zenrin says, Yes, it seems we must find a way to speak with this bakemono Umai. Which seems more difficult than just... taking its life. But perhaps just by traveling to it and encountering it, we will learn something we need to know.
PCs

Return to “Marullus' Bushido (FGU)”