Long term planning

thirdkingdom
kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Long term planning

#1 Post by kalstone »

So we've accomplished our first short term goal of clearing the hex. We now can travel safely throughout the hex once we've started patrolling it. So we need to figure out what our next objective is. Here are the plot hooks we have outstanding. Please add any if they are missing or correct them if I've got them wrong.
  • The remnants of the old road run eastward from Liwil, then cut north to intersect with the Long Road that runs to Junction -- in the Scarlet Principalities -- and Rocky Peak, to the north. There was once a village along the route, but travelers report it is abandoned and ill-omened. Were it to be reclaimed and settled it would put those in control in an advantageous position.
  • The primary concern of the Basilisk Knights are twofold: a gang of troglodytes inhabits an old keep to the north, about nine miles north of Liwil, and a village of orcs to the northwest. An uneasy detente exists between the orcs and villagers, but the troglodytes have proved resistant to reason or steel.
  • The Basilisk Knights seek an artifact, a medallion, that was stolen by a wayward knight. They do not know where it is, but will pay handsomely for its return.
  • All know of the Darkwoods, a haunted forest that lies between the Basilisk Hills and the riches of the Scarlet Principality. There's a village called Sin nestled in the woods, inhabited by all manner of miscreants and wastrels, including brigands who raid Hob and the surrounding territories. Now known to be the Red Foot gang HQ.
  • West of Liwil is a small plateau that is rumored to be cursed, and none who have ventured to the top have ever returned. It is said that at one point a conclave of evil druids once conducted dark rites atop the plateau. Those brave enough to venture into its shadow tell stories of an enormous, three-horned beast that roams the hills at the base of the plateau. Confirmed by travelling party. Could be a triceratops.
  • Three burial mounds just off the road on the way to Dry Gulch.
  • A keep about 60 miles north of Dry Gulch inhabited by the Red Hook Gang.
  • A way into the old city through the sewers of Dry Gulch(?)
  • Assorted treasure maps including one to the Shadow Stones.(?)
I'm going to put our financial situation in another thread, but one long term goal could be to clear and patrol the road between Dry Gulch and Liwil and the old road east of Liwil. This would increase merchant traffic and provide us with a source of passive income that could help offset our cost of living, wages, and keep maintenance. Building a road between the keep and Liwil would be helpful, too. We should probably expect some sort of reprisal from the Red Hook Gang, so preparing for that or striking first could be a goal as well.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Long term planning

#2 Post by thirdkingdom »

One question I've got for you guys is who wants to take on the twins as retainers. I'm going to say they are automatically loyal, as you saved their lives. I am totally fine with current retainers taking on retainers (the second tier would get a 1/4 share of treasure), or you can have a main PC take them on. Full disclosure, they are both 3rd level fighters.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by kalstone »

I guess Ruarc can take them on, unless anyone else is interested.

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by VonAlric »

thirdkingdom wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:25 pm One question I've got for you guys is who wants to take on the twins as retainers. I'm going to say they are automatically loyal, as you saved their lives. I am totally fine with current retainers taking on retainers (the second tier would get a 1/4 share of treasure), or you can have a main PC take them on. Full disclosure, they are both 3rd level fighters.
:o
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by VonAlric »

I tried to embed a pic in here a couple of times but I must not be using the right place to save it. Anyway, looking at where we are vs. known items (refer to the Basilisk Hills overview map for locations):

1. To our northwest (Hex 13.21) are the orcs. They are leaving us alone for now but we would need to deal with them in the future.
2. To our southwest (hex 13.22) is the plateau and that huge beast with three horns. Not sure there is anything here for us to be able to deal with at our current level.
3. Somewhere to the east/southeast is that village of Sin that has people gunning for us once word gets back to them. They are probably a group to deal with prior to the orcs.

What I would suggest is taking stock of what else is around us. From our travels down the road to Dry Gulch, we know there are a few places not too far off the road that have been around for some time, some might even hold big treasures (burial mound with three towers). By extension, the hexes around us probably have a decent chance of holding some good stuff, including magic items. We know of potential threats on one side of us and one side being safe, why not check the others? Since Black Pit Keep is at the northern part of the hex, I would suggest that we go and explore the hex directly north of us (14.21) then the one northeast of us (15.21). The reason is three-fold.

1. Makes sure we clear out any other potential threats or at least make them known to us.
2. Helps us find other resources that we can use for the Keep and for trade.
3. Clear out more potential land for farmers and such, which would be beneficial later.

Also, we could also explore the hex that Liwil is in as well. The only thing we have done is basically go north in the hex (I think it was said that Liwil is towards the very southern part of the hex) so there may be something else we could find there but I feel that might be a mostly tapped out thing.

Depending on what we find in those hexes, we may wish to move forward with the road to the east and take care of Sin or start trying to figure out where those treasures are. One of the maps will lead us quite a ways northeast of our location, the other southeast for not much less a distance.

Let's hear some other thoughts.
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

Return to “Basilisk Hills Breakdown (OSE)”