sulldawga
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: IC 001 - The Game is Afoot

#21 Post by sulldawga »

Urson wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:16 pm Mikhail
Mikhail shakes his head, annoyed at how Ket has turned into a "big town."
Turning to his new companions, If you decide to camp, I'll be settin' up over there. I'll share my fire with you. He gestures toward a spot in the camping area.
Over the next few days, he'll be visiting all the fur traders he knows who either have shops in town or are here for the Fair. He's establishing (or re-establishing) connections with them before he heads across the river. He's also looking for any lore that people have to tell about the prospects beyond the river.
He'll be competing in the Archery competition, also.
Ket, Old Town

Mikhail finds one trader who has traveled to Ket to see if the local hunters managed to bag any good skins over the winter but he doesn't know the town all that well.

He goes to Uptown and checks out Monsoon Supplies but finds them a little too upscale for his tastes. It's only when he goes to Old Town and stops in at Leofric's Gear that he finds a kindred spirit. There are relatively few hunters in town, as Ket was more of a fishing village until the Army came and started laying the groundwork for Land Grant Day. Leofric notes that he has excellent intelligence on the migration patterns of fur-bearing animals on this side of the river, and would pay well for information on what animals are on the other side.

Leofric doesn't have much intel on the west. He's heard the usual stories from the soldiers ("everything is the same as over here, except giant-sized!") but nothing else.

If you're going to compete in the Archery competition, make some rolls!

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#22 Post by cybersavant »

Kaithar listens to the others around the fire. "Im not a fighter, but i can try to help. Talking to the druids or searching for ruins are more to my liking, but i see i'm alone in that."
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Marullus »

Gars respects the bluntness of Reena Spidros and picks up the cartographer tools. He nods appreciatively as he calibrates the sextant and checks the compass. "I am prepared with ink and parchment, but this... this is certainly worth the last of my silver." he empties his coin pouch and gives her all but his last coin, which he blows on for luck before he tucks it away. "Perhaps when I return you might consider barter rather than mere coin... knowledge is infinitely more precious. "
He looks them over and sets them down, then looks longingly again at the bound texts beyond his current means. "I will endeavor, then, to return better prepared. Knowledge is infinitely more precious," he says and smiles to her.

He greatly enjoys his banter with Gurcy, pleased and pleasantly surprised to find talent and power here in Ket. "I will be glad for such future consultations," he answers at her offer, "let me know what else is found and heard westward, hmmm?"
Last edited by Marullus on Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Marullus »

Enoch wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:01 am "Or we could strike out past Fort Advance into the grasslands here--" she traces a line southwest from Ket, through the homesteads, and into the grasslands on the map-- "then strike up northwest to the swamp. Longer, probably a bit more dangerous, but it gets us out of controlled lands faster."
Gars considers, then nods his agreement. "Indeed... farmlands and swamp problems are by definition already discovered. I also like this idea of a wider arc to find more of what is unknown enroute to seeing which of the Fort-Captain's troubles we can remedy."

So, SW and then a circular arc around the known three hexes to make discovery on the way to the swamp in the NW.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Urson »

Mikhail Archery competition
Clout:
[1d20+1]=18+1=19
[1d20+1]=12+1=13
[1d20+1]=6+1=7

Roving:
[1d20+1]=2+1=3 (Veteran's Luck- HIT!)
[1d20+1]=10+1=11
[1d20+1]=19+1=20
[1d20+1]=13+1=14

Butts:
[1d20+1]=9+1=10
[1d20+1]=4+1=5
[1d20+1]=3+1=4

Mikhail leaves the archery competition in a black cloud of anger. Dunno how- but they cheated me. Bedammed city folks, cheatin' an honest hunter.

Back at the campsite, Mikhail is still surly. Giant animals? He snorts. Been hearin' about giant beasts since I was a sprout, trappin' rabbits. Easiest way to explain why you couldn't catch this beast or that- "Hit were the biggest thing I ever saw! Too big to be a normal beast- must have been some kinda magic!
He studies the planned route. Is there any kind o' rush gettin' to the swamp? If we're in a hurry, we cain't be diddling about all along here. If we ain't in a hurry, some scoutin' would be good- met a fella would like to know what the fur trade from out there will be like.
FA FO

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by sulldawga »

Ket, Fairgrounds

Mikhail actually starts the contest strong. While there are two arrows closer to the Clout, his is one of four that is next closest. A four-way tie for 3rd place won't pay much (10 sp) but at least he gets a ribbon to wear on his chest, should he choose, and the respect of the crowds.

The rest of his shots are unremarkable. Hitting two of the four marks in the Roving Marks contest is respectable but middle of the pack. His performance in the Butt Shooting contest is best forgotten.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Marullus »

Gars considers, replying to Mikhail. "When the bridge opens, its a rush. The homesteaders are heading to those nearby fields. Our competition is in who finds unexplored finds beyond those fields first - a loop around southwest and then north/northwest gives us the first chance to come across what's there and gives us sense of the whole perimeter, not just one thrust. It's longer than someone who spends a day striking straight across the farmlands in a line out to the unknown but our survey will be broader." He taps the map he drew with a finger thoughtfully. "With the Fort-Captain's list of woes, I don't think anyone's like to beat us to the swamp and solve all of them even if we take our time. The chance we might find something worthwhile along the survey route seems worth prioritizing. We gain knowledge, and our next decisions are more informed." He comments aside to Kaithar, "A survey route is the best chance we have of spotting a ruin, I think, and we don't know where to find the druids except to say 'every problem is in the swamp.' Every problem the Captain already knows about, that is, which to me is an important distinction." He pops the heel of his sweet bun into his mouth and chews, licking the glaze from his fingers as he looks around for affirmation or dissent on the faces of others.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by Enoch »

Lavin makes a quick trip to the outfitter's in Uptown to pick up a few more supplies:
  • Crowbar, 4 sp (1)
  • Grappling hook, 5 sp (1)
  • Hammer, 2 sp (1)
  • Iron spikes, 10, 1 sp (1)
  • Rope, 50', 2 sp (2)
She returns to the Rangers' makeshift camp. "Couldn't afford a mirror, but I picked up everything else I could think of." She dumps her purchases on the ground, thanks the shop boy who helped her carry it, and begins loading it into her pack.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Marullus »

"Are we agreed, then, on the southwest then northwest loop exploratory course?" Gars asks, looking around expectantly.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Rex »

Ciarra

"Yes, I am fine with that."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Urson »

Mikhail
Aye. It's the smart choice for actual exploration- and keeps us away from the sodbusters and tenderfeet. Mikhail adds his archery ribbon to the assorted decorations on his hat.

**Side note: After the Archery contest, Mikhail spent 12 sp for a lantern and 2 flasks of oil.
FA FO

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#32 Post by cybersavant »

Kaithar listens to the group chatter, but offers no opinion or other option. He checks his gear as they talk, then looks around the area to see who else is about.
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by Enoch »

Lavin looks up from her crouch, balancing on the balls of her feet, her weapon held out to the side for balance, and grins. "Sounds like we're decided, then. When the bridge is opened, we strike southwest across the farmlands and then up around the boundary of the homesteading-land, and scout out anything interesting along the way. We should probably stop and forage before we hit the swamp if we haven't already.

"Hope you all have sturdy shoes and are ready to get your feet wet!"
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Marullus »

Gars sits poring over the map. When Lavin mentions wet feet, he looks up and frowns deeply, looking down at his worn but clearly once-fine Stultian leather high-boots. He clears his throat. "Well... let's hope it doesn’t come to that," he says as he pushes his hands on his knees to stand and goes over to check the mule's leather harness as well. "Belegroc isn't fond of the idea either, I think." He pats the mule affectionately on the withers and looks to the others. "He can still carry a bit more, if anyone has gear..." The pack harness rests on the ground, laden with food and all the wilderness supplies an outfitter could and would sell to a man who is not comfortable with outdoor survival.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Rex »

Ciarra

"We will be fine. Just need to get moving, soon."

Return to “Gateway to the West (Worlds without Number)”