General Chatter

sulldawga
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: General Chatter

#401 Post by sulldawga »

I apologize if this is yet another example of things I did not make clear to you guys because it was crystal clear in my mind.

All of the river around here are flowing to the south. The Moche goes mainly N to S.

The river coming out of the Lake flows NW to SE until it merges with the Moche.

The Lake is SW of the Ruin. So this river could not have come from the Lake. Its source had to be further north.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#402 Post by sulldawga »

We seem to have lost some steam in this game. We also appear to have lost Enoch.

In addition, I am going to Buffalo for another hockey tournament next week and then the holiday season starts. My experience playing PbP games is that almost all of them slow down over the holidays.

So I'm going to pull the plug on this game. Thank you all for playing. I learned a lot about how to run a pointcrawl and if I run another one, I will apply the lessons learned here. Also learned a lot about the WWN rules. I'm kind of ambivalent about them. They are pretty simple but the relevant parts are scattered all over the rulebook. If I do use them again, I need to write up a cheat sheet well in advance.

I don't know what my next game will be. It will probably be one of the following:
  • Another pointcrawl but with a little more civilization mixed in (i.e. more towns and the occasional city, with lots of wilderness in between)
  • Starfield: the PbP game
  • Murder Hobos of the Caribbean
  • Cities without Number (I have never played or run a Cyberpunk game but I enjoyed the hell out of playing the Cyberpunk 2077 video game so I'm going to read the CWN rules over the holidays and see if they're any better organized than the WWN rules)
Also not sure about which ruleset I will use. I am toying with the idea of using just the 5e Basic Rules for a D&D style game. I am also learning how Ironsworn Starforged works, and might use that for the Space Opera or Pirates game.

I intend to keep in touch with all of you so if you're interested in any of the above, let me know.

I also welcome any comments, including criticism, so please feel free to let me know how you felt about the game or my GM style, here or in a PM.

hedonismbot
Strider
Strider

#403 Post by hedonismbot »

I'm sorry to hear the game has ended, but thanks for letting me join for the time!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#404 Post by Marullus »

I'm sorry to hear the news! You were doing a great job and I was enjoying playing immensely.

Enoch's hiaitus is only temporary (I'm keeping in touch as he plays in both games I am running). If you want to restart later or after the holidays I will be glad to pick up where we left off.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#405 Post by Rex »

I am sorry as well. You run a good game.

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#406 Post by The_Wanderer »

Thanks for putting time into this!

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#407 Post by sulldawga »

Just out of curiosity, if we did continue this game, would you all want to stick with WWN as the ruleset or switch to something else? If something else, what do you recommend?

I make no promises about anything but I'd be curious to check out whatever rulesets you guys like.

hedonismbot
Strider
Strider

#408 Post by hedonismbot »

I'm most interested in the WWN rules, so that would be my preference.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#409 Post by Rex »

I am ok with wwn but prefer older dnd rules. I run HarnMaster but it is very crunchy.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#410 Post by Marullus »

I am in it for the WWN. :)

I've been using SWN for some time and the transition to WWN is clean and simple. The rules are simple OSR, but the combination of class/foci makes a far wider variety of interesting stories than Moldvay clones. I've done two WWN campaigns with in-person and this was the first PbP I've gotten to do and it was really enjoyable. I am excited and grateful you ran it and hope others run it instead of 1e... I am happy I got to play instead of GM.

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#411 Post by The_Wanderer »

Yeah, I'm a fan of the WWN rules and that was my main draw to this particular game. With that said, I'm sure I'd be amenable to other games. I tend to bounce around a fair bit.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#412 Post by sulldawga »

I don't have too much of a beef with the rules themselves. The outdoor adventure rules are a bit spare but I can improvise. I think I struggled most with creating balanced and challenging encounters. If I do use the ruleset again, I will dedicate more time to preparing those.

Part of the reason why 5e was attractive to me was the existence of D&D Beyond and its Encounter Builder and Character Builder. I spend a lot of time as GM looking at these things and any tools that make my life easier are welcomed.

hedonismbot
Strider
Strider

#413 Post by hedonismbot »

Totally understand. Being a GM is tough work, and systems or tools that help ease that work are a huge decider in whether I run a game.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#414 Post by dmw71 »

sulldawga wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:23 pmSo I'm going to pull the plug on this game.
It sounds like there’s still some glimmer of hope for this one, but I’ll go ahead and archive it… for now.

If/when the game needs to be restored, just let us know and we can unarchive it for you.

-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#415 Post by sulldawga »

Safe to archive it. Even if I start up another WWN game, it won't be in this game world.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#416 Post by dmw71 »

sulldawga wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:24 pm Safe to archive it. Even if I start up another WWN game, it won't be in this game world.
Not that it's a huge deal, but If that's the case, should this be moved to the 'Completed Games' section (instead of the 'Archived Games' section)?
-- Project --
-- DM --

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#417 Post by sulldawga »

Yeah, put it in Completed Games, please.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#418 Post by dmw71 »

sulldawga wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:37 pm Yeah, put it in Completed Games, please.
Done.
-- Project --
-- DM --

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#419 Post by rredmond »

Congrats on the game completion. Looks like a complex game to play in PbP.
Thank you for running it!
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#420 Post by sulldawga »

Thanks. I don't know how successful I was. I did learn a lot about what I want the next game to look like. I need to spend a little time looking at Errant, which describes itself as "rules light, procedure heavy". I need to develop a set of procedures for pointcrawls so I can have those down cold and focus on other things.

Return to “Gateway to the West (Worlds without Number)”