First view of the wreck (Day 2)

BackworldTraveller
BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

First view of the wreck (Day 2)

#1 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The day starts with grey skies, rain like sheets and spectacular lightning. The local Souggvuez may have been evolved for Swamps, but Vargr definitely prefer warm and dry.

Demilich
Ranger
Ranger

Re: First view of the wreck (Day 2)

#2 Post by Demilich »

Yeelau sighs as she looks out the window at the rain and lightning "I think I'm going to stay here for awhile, at least until the lightning goes away."

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Demilich wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:25 pm Yeelau sighs as she looks out the window at the rain and lightning "I think I'm going to stay here for awhile, at least until the lightning goes away."
Denghez concurs
I hate the way the static makes my fur stand on end, then the rain just flattens it.
I'm not normally vain, but it is maddening.

He checks out the rest of the breakfast room/bar. The hotel is quiet - not too many traders staying for conferences or whatever.

That bear seemed to have eaten half the larder last night. Do you think he'll be hibernating?

But the hibernating theory is disproved when the huge creature appears looking for Eggs. Bryn - Second tray. calls Denghez. With a grunt of acknowledgement, Brynvadur collects the serving dish indicated and joins the table. Akodse vanished under his bedclothes when I asked if he was coming down. He said something like "Get me 10 minutes before the start of watch". I think he needs his sleep.

Erogksu Agadz, in his guise as Hotel Factotum approaches the group. Is Captain Rradzoka down yet? There are two visitors looking for him or Captain Daehaggzoegr.

So far, none of the Kfaerggzeghzratawuerz crew have graced the hall.

Demilich
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by Demilich »

Yeelau giggled at the mention of the Bear, when he appeared, apparently hungry again, Yeelau commented "I just hope we have enough food stores for him, and the rest."

She looked around, not seeing any of the crew, she nods, "I'll go rouse him from his bed, he'll be down here, soon." with that, she headed up the stairs to the Captain's room.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by cybersavant »

Sazqelmiqariepr heads down in the morning. He says hi to Yeelau as they pass each other. He enters the breakfast room, joining Denghez and Brynvadur. "Good morning. Quite something outside today, isn't it?"
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by BackworldTraveller »

cybersavant wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:52 am Sazqelmiqariepr heads down in the morning. He says hi to Yeelau as they pass each other. He enters the breakfast room, joining Denghez and Brynvadur. "Good morning. Quite something outside today, isn't it?"
The table acknowledges the understatement.

They seem to be out of Eggs on the Buffet! But the rest is good.

The group notes that the crew of the Kfaerggzeghzratawuerz have started to appear and are setting up their own table near the buffet.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by cybersavant »

Sazqelmiqariepr will try to tune in to those around that table.

psi

gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by BackworldTraveller »

cybersavant wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:08 am Sazqelmiqariepr will try to tune in to those around that table.

psi

Sazqelmiqariepr finds he can easily listen to the thoughts of everyone in the building (he thinks) and even those in the street immediately outside the restaurant - with the exception of young Akodse. The practice is slightly harder than reading Humans - and Yeelau's thoughts are particularly opaque having a non-terran biology underlying them (so much so that unpicking them would need special concentration and only partly works).
n.b. That's 5 successful rolls lasting 3mins, 30secs total and using 10 PSI points. Yeelau's mind fuzzes in and out during that time and there are alight breaks as your concentration lapses given the noisy banter of your crew
The main object of the study is the crew at the table. They seem to be thinking about Breakfast, the Day Ahead (Engineering Tasks and Housekeeping on their ship), the supposed exploits of one crew member last night (which are far less that claimed or assumed) and the actual exploits of another (about which they are not talking and the others seem unaware), and the mystery of the task ahead.
One of the waiting staff seems quite smitten with the youngest member of the group, but is avoiding them out of (what Sazqelmiqariepr assumes is) shyness.
The passers by seem to be thinking mostly about rain, traffic and how boring it is when its wet and how those in the Hotel restaurant look happy and dry.
Other guests are similarly thinking of breakfast, their companions, how the waitering staff appears distracted by the loud spacer groups. The business Vargr all seem to be concerned about the lateness of the time and whether they can get breakfast over with quickly.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by The Bindoner »

She looked around, not seeing any of the crew, she nods, "I'll go rouse him from his bed, he'll be down here, soon." with that, she headed up the stairs to the Captain's room.
There is no answer.

A taxi pulls up outside the hotel and, after a pause to transfer credits, Rradzoka exits and sprints through the rain to the hotel, where he shakes himself in the doorway before entering the lobby.

Walking quickly to the restaurant, he spots Erogksu and pauses to ask Any messages for me? Before joining his companions for coffee and breakfast meats.

Had a business meeting, it ran late. Before I tell you, I miss anything?

Demilich
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by Demilich »

There is no answer.[/quote]

Yeelau checks the door, opens it if she can, expecting the Captain to simply be over-sleeping, but, she is ready in case someone/thing jumps at her as she opens the door

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The Bindoner wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:13 pm
There is no answer.

A taxi pulls up outside the hotel and, after a pause to transfer credits, Rradzoka exits and sprints through the rain to the hotel, where he shakes himself in the doorway before entering the lobby.

Walking quickly to the restaurant, he spots Erogksu and pauses to ask Any messages for me? Before joining his companions for coffee and breakfast meats.

Had a business meeting, it ran late. Before I tell you, I miss anything?
Erogksu points to a Vargr and a Souggvuez clustered about Captain Raekrroz on the far side of the lobby.
You hear him talking to the Souggvuez: Yep, I can see that you are enthusiastic, but I need good gunners and a pilot. You admit you have neither skill. In fact, you have no actual space experience at all. So no, I won't be taking you on.
The Captain looks over, sees you and says: Meet Kelegi - My new missile gunner. He's from Varroerth, would you believe! Came all this way for Loot and has discovered only disappointment.
The Captain looks remarkably smug for so early in the day.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Demilich wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:49 pm
There is no answer.
Yeelau checks the door, opens it if she can, expecting the Captain to simply be over-sleeping, but, she is ready in case someone/thing jumps at her as she opens the door
Yeelau finds the Captain's room locked - and there is no answer from within. There is no sound of the room being occupied either.

Disappointed in her hunt, she returns to the Foyer - where the Captain is facing off to Captain Raekrroz, an unknown, bulky Vargr and one of the local snake-like creatures with legs.

Demilich
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by Demilich »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:12 am
There is no answer.
Yeelau finds the Captain's room locked - and there is no answer from within. There is no sound of the room being occupied either.

Disappointed in her hunt, she returns to the Foyer - where the Captain is facing off to Captain Raekrroz, an unknown, bulky Vargr and one of the local snake-like creatures with legs.
Yeelau, takes a deep breath, then proceeds to walk over next to the Captain, for now, listening, to find out if she understands the language the three are speaking, stopping next to the Captain, she pauses, waiting and watching to be recognized by any of the three as well as trying to get a sense of whether there is a fight coming or is it just an argument?

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Demilich wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:49 am
BackworldTraveller wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:12 am

Yeelau, takes a deep breath, then proceeds to walk over next to the Captain, for now, listening, to find out if she understands the language the three are speaking, stopping next to the Captain, she pauses, waiting and watching to be recognized by any of the three as well as trying to get a sense of whether there is a fight coming or is it just an argument?
Captain Raekrroz notes Yeelau's presence and says something in Aekhu...but seeing that Yeelau doesn't get it he haltingly repeats in very accented Anglic Good Morning. Good it start. Gun for my boat.

Demilich
Ranger
Ranger

#15 Post by Demilich »

Yeelau nods "Very good, Captain, there are more coming to see you, I think, they are waiting." she replies in Anglic, relaxing slightly, since there wont be a fight this time.

Yeelau then turns to the two others, wondering if they understood the conversation, if not, how was she going to communicate with them?

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by The Bindoner »

Erogksu points to a Vargr and a Souggvuez clustered about Captain Raekrroz on the far side of the lobby.
You hear him talking to the Souggvuez: Yep, I can see that you are enthusiastic, but I need good gunners and a pilot. You admit you have neither skill. In fact, you have no actual space experience at all. So no, I won't be taking you on.
The Captain looks over, sees you and says: Meet Kelegi - My new missile gunner. He's from Varroerth, would you believe! Came all this way for Loot and has discovered only disappointment.
The Captain looks remarkably smug for so early in the day.

Rradzoka is irked that he missed an opportunity, but doesn't want to show it. He smiles: Timing, eh? Well, you’re my ride, I can’t complain if you crew up well. Especially since we’re already losing the race. Might have to snatch our prize from the teeth of our rivals. Still, I hope you’ve not got many more roles to fill.

Noticing Yeelau’s approach Rradzoka’s tail wags, and his ear twitches in her direction.

Yeelau nods "Very good, Captain, there are more coming to see you, I think, they are waiting." she replies in Anglic, relaxing slightly, since there wont be a fight this time.
Through his translator, as usual: Morning. That’s good, we need to hire quickly. We have to move faster than we thought. He grins toothily: Or bite the legs of our rivals.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The rest of the early morning passes quickly with the party meeting up in the Conference Room in the mid morning.

Tsek Odzirghghour and Agnuez Oukfoder are stood at the front with a holoplayer.

OK - So this is what we found Tsek opens and brings up a hologram of space and a nearby ship...and walks the crew through the first deck...
Attachments
Kinunir - Deck 2.jpg
Kinunir - Deck 2.jpg (773.09 KiB) Viewed 347 times

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by The Bindoner »

Rradzoka carefully examines the projected image:

I take it the Pinnace was missing, is that how you entered?

Was there any sign of violence on this deck? Projectile or energy impacts on bulkheads? It looks like the Marines were quartered here.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The hologram of this deck shows the pair of prospectors entering via the starboard airlock and making their way around a darkened vessel.

It includes a record of a discussion arguing the finer points of Salvage Vs Theft, Now Vs Later, etc.

Most of the ship appears undamaged on this level and the pinnace hanger is empty and in vacuum (there is a basic flaw in the Kinunir design that the hanger is inaccessible while the hanger doors are open and the rest of the ship is pressurised!)

There is, during the walk around, some evidence of damage on this deck - what look like welds over bullet holes - but the age isn't clear as the decor has been refreshed.

There are some oddities. One of the Barracks (port, aft) seems to be full of low berths; another (starboard, forward) is packed with crates full of medical supplies. The medical centre is much better equipped than might be expected with very high tech stuff all of imperial manufacture. All of it is militarily clean per Imperial regulations. There is no evidence of any personal items in any cabin on this deck. It looks wrong for a Vargr vessel. Much too impersonal. No squad decorations. No Life!

Demilich
Ranger
Ranger

#20 Post by Demilich »

Yeelau looks over the projections closely before speaking "It is possible, I suppose that the ship, was, um, cleaned, the crew, either all dead, or evacuated, maybe not willingly. I know, its just a hunch on my part, trying to come up with why the ship was empty."

Return to “How to find a Million (Mongoose Traveller, 1137)”