In Game OOC

Leitz
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: In Game OOC

#161 Post by Leitz »

jemmus wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:10 am Sorry, I should let Farid go first, but don't want to retcon again. We know the women are there now, so it would be meta for Kerecsen to let Farid go first. Next time we'll do it that way.

Physique +1 Physique +1 [1d6]=4[1d6]=6[1d6]=3[1d6]=5 +1 + 1+2+1+2 = 6 Succeeds with Style this time.

Rapport +1 Rapport+1 [1d6]=3[1d6]=6[1d6]=4[1d6]=2 +1 + 1+2+1-1 = 4 Succeeds with Style.
Closer, but not quite.
1. The Challenge is to swim through a short tunnel. Initially Kerecsen failed, and the Consequence is that he clawed (Physique) his way back to the cave, where Diego and Chaplin Kurstnen are getting ready to swim in.
1.1. Fate dice rolls are as follows: a 1 or 2 give a -1, a 5 or a 6 give +1, and a 3 or 4 give nothing.
1.1.1. The Physique roll is 4, 6, 3, 5. Starting at +1, the 5 and 6 give a total of +3. Which means he can go back if he wants.

2. Or Louis spends a Fate Point (shaidar has agreed to), and Kerecsen is pulled up as Rex noted.

3. The Rapport roll starts at +1, and you rolled 3,6,4,2. The 6 and 2 cancel each other out, and the 3 and 4 give nothing, so Kerecsen's Rapport totals +1.
3.1. However, if you don't use Physique to go back, you could use the roll to charm the ladies. Maybe even Create an Advantage with some coin, or your bedraggled but still manly charm...

Given what I understand of Kerecsen, having Louis help him through works, and then Kerecsen can spend a Fate Point if he likes, or toss them some coin, to charm/seduce/whatever the ladies. The goal is to prevent them from running away screaming, so that they do not alert the bad guys.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by jemmus »

Wow, I really messed that up. Sorry for delaying everything so much, all. I'm having to rush things because of things going on RL.* I'll fix the post tomorrow.

*Assistant fired for stealing food from the break room fridge; work piling up while finding and training a new one; pipe broke and flooded the office; minor medical appointments and treatment, etc. That kind of stuff. :)
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by Rex »

Good luck with it all jemmus.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by Leitz »

No worries! I am okay with a retcon, as long as things move forward. Post what you can tomorrow, and we will figure it all out in the Wednesday post.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by jemmus »

Thanks for handling Kerecsen's action, Leitz. So his next post is tomorrow (Wednesday), correct?
PCs

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#166 Post by Leitz »

jemmus wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:25 am Thanks for handling Kerecsen's action, Leitz. So his next post is tomorrow (Wednesday), correct?
Happy to help, I know how life can get some times.

Technically, yes. However, the three of you will be able to act first, so you can go ahead and try to do something. Kurstnen and Diego will be coming up at the end of the next round.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by Leitz »

Kerecsen will try to move two zones-- through and out of the water. I'm guessing that this option would be at Athletics 2(?)
Athletics 0 [1d6]=5[1d6]=1[1d6]=4[1d6]=2 +1-1+0-1 = -1. One zone only. Can he use one of his today's three Fate points to get out of the water and move to a second zone? (Sorry GM, it's been explained times before, but I'm not sure if PCs can spend Fate points on their own PC's outcomes. If they can't, Kerecsen will give Louis on of he Fate points to help with his mobility. We need as many hands ready and on deck as possible. If those ladies flee and alert, the whole fortress's crew will come down us. If that happens, not much hope of anything less than a complete League mission failure and a TPK... I think we've been adequately warned.... :)
Kerecsen failed by 3, so he's going to be floundering. Take 1 Mental Stress (mark off that block) from the repeated and nearly successful efforts at drowning. Even a Fate Point spent for a +2 won't really help.

This is where a Boost is less than a Fate Point. A Boost could give Kerecsen a +2, but that's about it. A Fate Point could be used for the +2 for Kerecsen, or a re-roll, or to activate one of his Aspects, or to Compel one of the other PCs. Fate Points are so important that the game is named after them. :)

Also, this is a meta-game aware genre, that's how players know how to compel other PCs. You could look at Louis (Athletics-3) and Compel him somehow. When hunting success, sometimes one is the scout, sometimes one is the decoy...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#168 Post by Rex »

Someone could compel my "While I Have Breath, I Have Hope" Aspect. I will post a roll for Farid when I get home tonight. He will try to block the women but his Athletics is only +1 and I am a horrible roller.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by jemmus »

Just so I understand:
-Kerecsen is back at the cave, and hasn't yet swum to the other side of the pool.
-Louis spent a fate point to pull him out of the water, on the cave side.
-Now he has to successfully swim to the other side, and successfully climb out.

[1d6]=4[1d6]=1[1d6]=3[1d6]=2 Net 0. He needs 2 to succeed, correct? Would spending a fate point for +2 work?

(I don't think I'm ready yet for compelling other PCs to do something. Kind of goes against the etiquette of the way we normally play RPGs. Maybe later. :))
PCs

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#170 Post by Leitz »

Actually Kerecsen is better off than that. If Louis had not helped him (Succeed with Style), Kerecsen would be back at the cave. However, Louis pulled him forward, so they are both on the cistern side of things.

Kerecsen took a 1 point Mental Stress because he tried to over exert his skills (cover two Zones) and again floundered in the water. He's much more comfortable on horseback!

At the end of last turn, he was hanging onto the edge of the cistern floor, catching his breath. He can see Louis, Farid, and the ladies, because the cistern stairwell has sunlight coming down it.

On his next Action, he can climb out with no roll. He can potentially do more than that, but with the way you all are rolling, he might fall back in and drown...

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by Leitz »

jemmus wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:19 am (I don't think I'm ready yet for compelling other PCs to do something. Kind of goes against the etiquette of the way we normally play RPGs. Maybe later. :))
I know the feeling, it seems mildly wrong. However, it really can help the other player by rewarding them for deeply in character actions. If you Compel a PC, you activate one of their Aspects. Then we all talk about how that Aspect might come into play here, and the bulk of the decision is with the player and the DM. Even then, the player can veto anything by paying a Fate point.

So, it's not overly bad, and you can always chat with the player via PM if you see a good opportunity but are unsure.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#172 Post by shaidar »

Time for someone with a decent rapport to step forward.

Although, could I roll empathy to get a feel for how well his comments were received and if he is on the right track about the women being badly treated and if it's a route worth working on further?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by Rex »

Empathy is a good idea. With his Rapport +2 Farid has the best shot talking, but I am the one rolling so that counters it.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#174 Post by Leitz »

shaidar wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:42 am Although, could I roll empathy to get a feel for how well his comments were received and if he is on the right track about the women being badly treated and if it's a route worth working on further?
Anyone with Rapport +1 or Empathy +1 can tell that the women are scared, and used to being mistreated. They are also a little freaked out, since monsters came from the water. :)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by Rex »

Farid can try to calm them down, maybe someone can spend a fate point to push his always hope aspect?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by Leitz »

Rex wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:36 pm Farid can try to calm them down, maybe someone can spend a fate point to push his always hope aspect?
Keep in mind that you roll first, then decide whether to spend a Fate Point or not.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by Leitz »

Rex wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:36 pm Farid can try to calm them down, maybe someone can spend a fate point to push his always hope aspect?
Farid can move one zone without a roll, and attempt to calm them with Rapport.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by Leitz »

Awaiting your actions, does anyone need anything from me?

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by shaidar »

Now Rex has posted, just checking you aren't waiting for a post from me.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#180 Post by Leitz »

shaidar wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:54 pm Now Rex has posted, just checking you aren't waiting for a post from me.
The ladies retreating was the last action of last round, Farid's post is the only action performed in this round. Louis was able to get them to not run up the stairs last round, and Kerecsen needs to get out of the water before he drowns.

Note that you do not have to act, you can just let Farid take care of the situation. In this case, inaction doesn't really have a penalty, unless Farid had failed badly.

Return to “The Absent Professor (Fate Core)”