Barrow Mounds: Mapping the Nergal Obelisk

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Barrow Mounds: Mapping the Nergal Obelisk

#81 Post by ateno »

Hadarai wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:58 pm "Well...all things considered that didn't go too badly...I'll need to find Three-Moons' kin when we get back, does anyone know who that would be?"
"Not off the top of my head, but i'm short..."

"Anyway, i'm sure we can find someon in town to tell us. I hate politics, they are going to yell at us for not saving thier kin, et cetra..."

Cosmo

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Spearmint »

Trekking home to Helix.

The group pass the Sauron patrol by. You have your two Nergal cultists as prisoners, the lizardmen have a dwarf sacked up and held for random or worse.
"His kinsfolk dwarves, that renegade priest."
The dwarves have a community centred upon the Axe & Anvil Forge. It is common for each forge to be overseen by a dwarven cleric of Moradin hence why no dwarven cleric characters exist as they are inexorably tied to the smithy works. Karl Barrelgut the senior forgemaster and resident priest. There is a separate thread in the settlement:Helix forum to deal with any enquiries.

Barrow Moor: random and even more random vs 1 [1d6]=2 [1d6]=4 option [1d10]=6Prisoner compliance and escape attempt vs 1-2 [1d6]=4 [1d6]=2Traeliorn looses arrows: [1d20+1]=1+1=2 [1d6]=4[1d20+1]=18+1=19[1d6]=1

Having passed the patrol by, the ranger picks up the pace and you soon make the Herne ring of standing stones. Another mile and the fringe of the Barrow Moor finishes, bordered by the westward trail and the dark reaches of the Blackened Forest. It is at this point that the two prisoners try to make their escape, kicking against those who restrain them, knocking them prone and then running, one for the road and the second into the mist. Traeliorn looses an arrow at each, one misses and one nicks a runner. -1hp

actions, you can attack one physically with a range / missile attack or try to catch and overbear one. Roll a [4d6] vs Dex to catch one and we can move to some grappling.

actions please

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#83 Post by ateno »

Would I get a chance to cast phantasmal force or not?

Hadarai
Ranger
Ranger

#84 Post by Hadarai »

Callen tries to chase after one of the cultists.

[4d6]=22 vs. 13

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Spearmint »

Trekking home to Helix

Cosmo
, yes you can cast that.
actions
Describe what effect you would like to invoke. Duvall will continue to pursue him this round.

Callen. The other prisoner is fleet footed and unencumbered, getting away from the grasp of Rickford and dodging yours. In the wilderness, running off alone is a dangerous tactic so they are not willing to go too far, each deciding to try and hide among the thickets of grass or covered in thick mud, lie prone in a boggy patch of Moor.

After loosing two arrows after the fleeing men, your ranger guide, Traeliorn follows one with Callen. He tracks the footsteps, noting the squished grasses, broken stalks until he comes to the edge of a boggy patch. The ground here is very soft underfoot and sucking your boots to calf deep after just a couple of steps. He holds his hand up to halt further progress. About thirty feet away, the Nergalite has wandered into a 'quicksand' like patch. He is already waist deep and making no further headway.

actions, Callen, do you leave him to sink or try and save him?

Nergalite Cultist A: runs or hides [1d2]=2 B: runs or hides [1d2]=2

Traeliorn tracks escapee vs 66% [1d100]=2

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#86 Post by ateno »

Spearmint wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:52 pm Trekking home to Helix

Cosmo
, yes you can cast that.
actions
Describe what effect you would like to invoke. Duvall will continue to pursue him this round.
Funny you should say, in front of the running nergalites, taking advantage of the darkness and being off the track.

A boggy mire that looks unpassable.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Spearmint »

Great. Very believable as the description from the regional map describes this route to and from the Barrow Mounds as 'west via the Shrine of Herne then south and circling the Mounds fringe to approach them from the south. 7.5 miles across the Moor from the forest edge. Journey time approx 5 hours across Moor.

This way is shorter but considered more dangerous as the region directly north of the Mounds has many notorious 'quicksand' like bogs.

With that in mind, the illusory bog hampers the fleeing Nergalite who flounders in supposedly treacherous terrain and Cosmo and Duvall can catch up with him and restrain him from further escape.

That takes a couple of rounds to sort out, then you can go aid Callen to recapture the other if you can get him out of the mire.

Hadarai
Ranger
Ranger

#88 Post by Hadarai »

Callen

The Cleric digs into his pack and produces a coil of rope, searching for a hefty branch, he'll tie his rope onto the stick and toss it at the sinking cultist for him to grab onto.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#89 Post by ateno »

Cosmo will assist in gathering and recapturing the 2 nergalites and head back home.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Spearmint »

Trekking home to Helix.

One of the Nergalites escapees is quickly recaptured. The second is bogged down and sinking slowly.

Callen tries to save him from a certain fate though the mud drowning man seems resigned to his fate. He flounders, sinking to chest deep but ignores the tossed rope that lies within his grasp.

"Death comes to swallow me. I feel his touch on my soul and take this offered voyage to my afterlife." he says and with other words pours contempt on the adventurers. He speaks of "Time has run out for me and surely a black wave as a tide will come and overwhelm you all." He still has a bravado and arrogance, spat out as you watch not daring to enter the muddy patch lest you also get sucked down to its depth.

Rickford and Duval cut some rushes to lay as a mat that might spread a man's weight should one crawl across the bog to grab a hold of him.

"We could tie one of you on by the waist and then haul you both out". It would take a few moments for an armoured man to strip himself down to the waist so as not to be encumbered, moments the sinking cultist does not have. He sinks further, up to his neck and more, beginning to gag upon the mud as it slowly fills his mouth and nose.

I checked but Callen does not have Command spell memorized so could not compel the man to "grab" the rope. So to rescue him, one will need to crawl across the mud and physical grab him, perhaps as he goes unconscious or limp he can be tied with the rope looped and pulled out.

But I would like a check to achieve this. Roll a 4d6 vs Dex.

Or he could be left to his drowning fate. Ultimately it is your choice. Either way, the group are only a couple of hours and a handful of miles from Helix. With no further encounters generated, you can arrive back into the settlement and with that conclude the 'adventure' part of your expedition.

well done! Achieved some mission points in one day and survived a couple of tough encounters for a small band with some creative spell use and fortuitous rolls in your favour.

I will tote up some experience point awards. There is a meager amount of trove. I will list that and you can divide it as you see fit.

actions: you have at least one prisoner. So you need to decide what to do with him. Take him to Lord Krothos at 'the Old Manse' or to the Chapel of St Ygg's? You will need to post that decision in the appropriate settlement thread, Chapel or Manse.

discuss here any particular actions and thoughts and give a concluding action for your character.

Attachments
Nergalite bogged down
Nergalite bogged down
image235.jpg (66.36 KiB) Viewed 515 times

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#91 Post by ateno »

Cosmo yells to attract the mans attention and looks in his eyes.

Cosmo casts hypnotism.

"Nergal has more work for you to do, grab the rope and be rescued."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Spearmint »

look into my eyes ... you feel sleepy ..."
Cosmo gestures a token, swinging his Hand of Hoodoo in a pendulum like motion that catches the attention and eye of the drowning man. His volition wilts and under compulsion, grabs the rope of salvation and between the group, you can haul him out of the bog.

Nergalite 17+ vs Cosmo's Hypnosis spell [1d20]=7

Well done, you have two prisoners repatriated to Helix.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#93 Post by ateno »

"I'm good with deciding with you, Callen deciding what to do with the papers and the prisoners, perhaps we can go to your chapel and give them the papers and with their blessing bring the prisoners to the Manse?

I Dunno, you?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Spearmint »

Summary of the Expedition.

Explore the Barrow Mounds, locating and the basic mapping of the Nergal Obelisk. Locating the trench works uncovering the Path of the Unrighteous'. Encounter the Nergal Visage. +300xp

Encounter the lizardmen patrol with dwarf prisoner. +100xp if you follow up this with a report to the dwarves at the forge.

Defeat Nergal priest and three cultists, bring two cultists back as prisoner. +450xp

Slay two Ravenous Zombies. Swerve encounters with Ghouls, 'Trench Tree', Giant Ants. +100xp

Total experience awards: 950xp shared between three full shares (Mercenaries agreed on a hire basis and get half share of any treasure). So

Traeliorn: NPC but gets 316xp.

Callen: 316 XP plus 32 prime requisite bonus and Player Character expedition award of +100xp. Total is +448xp.

Cosmo: 316 XP plus 32 prime requisite bonus and Player Character expedition award of +100xp. Total is +448xp shared equally between both his classes.

I will update the public XP thread. Please adjust your sheets accordingly.

Treasure and Trove:
You can collect 666sp from them, in a bag marked 'tithes', an unholy offering and several small marble like uncut stones, glassy pieces of Obsidian each marked with letters, (AV, SF, B O'D and others) suggestive that Nergal devotees carved their names in each as some form of dedication or remembrance. A frothy green syrup in an opaque vial is also found, the only item that pings of magical enchantment.
A Silvered Crossbow bolt and possible map to buried treasure.
actions, discuss any division. Sorry, not a great reward, the gold value comes to 33 gold (+11gp each character) and the 6sp could just be hand waved as spent on a tavern beer to celebrate each returning in good health.

That just leaves you the inscribed Obsidian pieces, an unidentified potion and the 'treasure map'.

The two merceneraries return to the guild. They have been paid in advance and with their safe return, your next hirings are more favoured. Traeliorn returns to his ranger training and may be located again in the village.

Remember you can get extra XP via Tributes and Memorials to expeditions. see separate thread for details.

continue with actions and discussions here.

Hadarai
Ranger
Ranger

#95 Post by Hadarai »

Callen

"Yes, I think that would be for the best. We'll let the chapel have first go with these two and then bring them to the Lord.

Thank you again Cosmo for all your help, I shudder to think how we would've faired without your talents. You also put more financial support into this expedition as well, I think it appropriate that you should take the rest of the treasures we found along with your share."

Callen will thank Traeliorn and the Mercenaries for their assistance and head off to the Chapel with Cosmo and the prisoners.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Spearmint »

Just for 'house keeping', I will announce your arrival.back in Helix with a post in the Brazen Strumpet tavern thread.

As far as next options go, there are no other player characters in town to either recruit from or join up with but you have plenty of stuff to get on with.

I will post in the Chapel thread and update your arrival there and you can take it forward with any further reports or actions.

You will recuperate at +1hp restored for each full day of rest.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Spearmint »

With experience points awarded and you guys roleplaying in Helix, I will close this thread and move it to the Completed Expeditions.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”