The Ch'Vax Jungle (S.E.T. 1)

rremedio
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: The Ch'Vax Jungle (S.E.T. 1)

#61 Post by rremedio »

When he gets a chance to talk again with the others (returning from the medic) Akai agrees with Bishop: "Would it be a problem if you deactivate it after we leave camp? I suppose that Red Tucker will promptly send a report to Gamma Niner as soon as we leave and this would probably alert the company."

Recklessfireball
Ranger
Ranger

#62 Post by Recklessfireball »

The tech begins opening his pack and pulling out several sized wrenches and a pair of electrosnips.
"We can't activate him and we can't leave him here. If someone finds him and reactivates him then he will pursue us. Unless any of you can come up with a really good objection I'm going to remove his power core and dismantle him. We can scatter him in the jungle piece by piece as we travel." Bishop says with a depressed sigh and the look of a man who is about to personally put his dog down.
OOC: An innovative, if radical, solution. :mrgreen: There is one problem, however; attempting to deactivate the power core could accidentally trigger the bomb, due to security redundancies. Bishop realizes it would be safer to power down the bot then detach its head and limbs (along with the torso with its still active power core) and hide them somewhere- or simply deactivate the droid and bury it, intact, in a hole in the jungle somewhere.

Recklessfireball
Ranger
Ranger

#63 Post by Recklessfireball »

After Alex has retrieved and secured the ammo from the robot for his auto rifle, he, too, will head to the medic to have his scratches from the stampede incident cleaned up.
He will engage the medic in small talk about local parasites and dangers, and while doing so, will attempt to read his thoughts.

Stern Read Thoughts (90-log): [1d100] = 25
OOC: Okay, first of all, I have to say this: You guys have got to be the luckiest SOB'S I've ever Gm'ed for, when it comes to dice rolling! :lol:

But on to the mind reading. The description of the skill says you can ask one (1) question per skill lvl of the person you're reading, but that the target will be aware of the attempt and try to oppose with his logic. Since you haven't posed a specific question, and have stated you're engaging the vrusk in small talk while you attempt it, I'll assume you're just scanning surface thoughts and will allow you to use the ability undetected (particularly as you rolled so well...

While the Doc sprays some antiseptic over his cuts and scrapes, Stern chats with the Vrusk about various trivial things. The alien responds, making small talk as eagerly and comfortably as any human. While they gossip, Stern delicately sifts through the creatures alien thoughts. His mind is swift and logical, mentally diagnosing Sterns injuries, moving to render the best treatment, all the while thinking about several reports he has to file and bio-scans and lab work he has to follow up on. He's also getting hungry, and thinking of the delicious, live Pryll Grubs he had shipped in from his homeworld- an expensive delicacy. Stern can detect nothing sinister or unusual lurking in his thoughts.

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#64 Post by Bhart »

Recklessfireball wrote:
The tech begins opening his pack and pulling out several sized wrenches and a pair of electrosnips.
"We can't activate him and we can't leave him here. If someone finds him and reactivates him then he will pursue us. Unless any of you can come up with a really good objection I'm going to remove his power core and dismantle him. We can scatter him in the jungle piece by piece as we travel." Bishop says with a depressed sigh and the look of a man who is about to personally put his dog down.
OOC: An innovative, if radical, solution. :mrgreen: There is one problem, however; attempting to deactivate the power core could accidentally trigger the bomb, due to security redundancies. Bishop realizes it would be safer to power down the bot then detach its head and limbs (along with the torso with its still active power core) and hide them somewhere- or simply deactivate the droid and bury it, intact, in a hole in the jungle somewhere.
Bishop suddenly realizes the danger in removing the power core. ;) He begins dismembering the robot. When done he will toss the legs and arms under a bed or in a closet. The torso he will wrap in a blanket and ask for the help of the 2 strongest members of the group. "We should load his body on one of the beasts when we are ready to leave. He's heavy but we won't have to carry him far into the jungle before we dump him, preferably in the river." he says.

Recklessfireball
Ranger
Ranger

#65 Post by Recklessfireball »

The torso he will wrap in a blanket and ask for the help of the 2 strongest members of the group. "We should load his body on one of the beasts when we are ready to leave. He's heavy but we won't have to carry him far into the jungle before we dump him, preferably in the river." he says.
OOC: Decide amongst yourselves who's going to help Bishop; then describe to me exactly how and when you intend to go about taking the torso to the river.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#66 Post by NJWilliam »

Alex isn't one of the strongest, but once he's done at the medic, he will head back to the "robot room" and see if there is anything he can help do.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

rremedio
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#67 Post by rremedio »

Akai is ready to help.

ooc: activating it and then deactivating after we have left is bad idea? I suppose that the camp personnel will notice that we are not leaving with the robot and report that.

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#68 Post by Bhart »

rremedio wrote:Akai is ready to help.

ooc: activating it and then deactivating after we have left is bad idea? I suppose that the camp personnel will notice that we are not leaving with the robot and report that.
Hmm good point. At least if we ditch it after we leave we can always claim he was destroyed. Unless Reckless lets us retcon it, I'll have to stick with my already declared action. Which means taking the time to put him back together.

Then again I could always try to change his program...

Nah I'll stick with the plan even if it is poorly thought out ;)

Bishop gives some thought to the Akai's suggestion. "Hmmm, I don't know if I want to risk activating him now that I broke the security lock. If Hal can detect it he might consider us a threat and sanitize us. On second thought we could just leave him here and hope that no one will reactivate him. Could be that none of the camp personnel give 2 craps and never report a thing. Then I might have a chance at altering his programing later after I have time to do some studying. I mean, it would be a shame to toss out a potentially valuable asset if we could make him completely obedient to us." the short tech says as he rubs his chin with a greasy rag.

He stares into space for a few minutes deep in thought before snapping out of it. "Nah tell you what I'm just being paranoid. Let's just leave him here. We have his weapon and he's dismantled. "

If no one objects I'll leave him in my room and take the head with us. It's less work and he could be made useful in the future.

Rotten
Tracker
Tracker

#69 Post by Rotten »

Stan:

"Yep, you are best to keep him around and be ready to put him back together later. You never know about these corporate scum. They might take his cost out of our paychecks if we destroy him. I'd say he costs quite a bit."

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#70 Post by NJWilliam »

Taking stock of his weapons, Alex keeps his auto pistol on his right thigh, slings his auto rifle over his shoulders and across his back, and his G-19 over his left shoulder since he figures it will be his first choice for unexpected encounters at short range in the jungle. His makes sure his hatchet is comfortably on his left hip, checks his chronocom on his left wrist, and cleans the lenses of his shades.

OOC: I assume the G-19 can be used in melee like a pistol since it has a bonus to hit at point blank, or is that just when loaded with buckshot (or is it subject to a negative modifier in melee like a rifle)?
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

Recklessfireball
Ranger
Ranger

#71 Post by Recklessfireball »

If no one objects I'll leave him in my room and take the head with us. It's less work and he could be made useful in the future.
OOC: The head is easily stowed out of sight in one of your equipment packs. The assorted limbs and the torso can be pushed under the bed, or crammed into lockers and trunks in the barracks. They've provided these for you to stow any belongings you don't want to take with you, and they have locks so they'll be secured against theft. Of course, Red technically has authority to search them, if he has reasonable suspicion to do so. Someone may notice you leaving without the droid, and they may ask questions, of course. Depends on how observant these guys are and if any of them watch you leave. ;)
OOC: I assume the G-19 can be used in melee like a pistol since it has a bonus to hit at point blank, or is that just when loaded with buckshot (or is it subject to a negative modifier in melee like a rifle)?
OOC: These are relatively compact weapons. As long as you have the extendable stock collapsed, yes- it can be used like a pistol in close combat.

rremedio
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#72 Post by rremedio »

I'm good with whatever you decide, Bishop. My worry is with Tucker, who probably writes reports about what happens here and would probably leave a note commenting our departure without the robot, if he ever learns about it. He told us to checkout with him before leaving, but we don't need to take the robot to his room.

I suppose those folks here know no more than me about robots, which is very close to nothing, so they will probably bite anything you say, if they will ever ask you anything.

Akai you pack his share of equipment left to the group and take a good night of sleep.

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#73 Post by Bhart »

"Meh, I'll just tell them the truth if anyone asks. When I was running some routine diagnostics I found some dangerous flaws that could result in an explosion. It would put the camp and everyone at risk if I left him activated. I can't fix the problem here. So I'll have to take him to a certified repair facility when I return. After all they did ask me to evaluate him and report any problems" Bishop says with a wink.

He packs the robot head in with his gear. Once all equipment is prepped and ready for tomorrow, Bishop will get some sleep.

The next morning he'll take his time at breakfast savoring the last hot cup of coffee he's likely to have for a while. Afterward he loads up his Shank, which he names Bessie, and waits for the others.

Recklessfireball
Ranger
Ranger

#74 Post by Recklessfireball »

The following morning, bright and early, you saddle up your shanks and prepare to depart. Hiding the Balors body proved fairly simple, although Bishop needed considerable help in wrestling the heavy torso into a storage trunk. The head itself packed neatly into one of his bags, with no one the wiser.

Most of the camp is still sitting in the mess, when you head to the Shank pens. Few people see you leave, though you do stop in briefly to notify Red of your departure. If he finds the absence of the robot strange, he chooses not to comment, and simply wishes you luck on your journey.

With a steamy, morning mist shrouding the canopy overhead, you set off into the jungle, a caravan of weird, lumbering beasts, laden down for a journey into an alien wilderness. What sorts of wonders and dangers you may encounter there, not one of you can say...

OOC: I'll want a marching order here, along with details of any other precautions you may wish to take. How often you want to camp or pause for meals and rest, and so forth.

Rotten
Tracker
Tracker

#75 Post by Rotten »

ooc - were we issued any armor (skeen suits, etc.)

Bhart
Ranger
Ranger

#76 Post by Bhart »

Bishop is not so good with the weapons, so he'd like to be in the middle. I say we stop once a day for mid day meal. No longer than an hour. Travel only by daylight and try to find a suitable camp site at least 2 hours before dark.

Recklessfireball
Ranger
Ranger

#77 Post by Recklessfireball »

ooc - were we issued any armor (skeen suits, etc.)
OOC: Sorry- I somehow glossed over this before. No, no armor or defense screens were issued.

rremedio
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#78 Post by rremedio »

Bhart wrote:I say we stop once a day for mid day meal. No longer than an hour. Travel only by daylight and try to find a suitable camp site at least 2 hours before dark.
Akai completely agrees.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#79 Post by NJWilliam »

rremedio wrote:
Bhart wrote:I say we stop once a day for mid day meal. No longer than an hour. Travel only by daylight and try to find a suitable camp site at least 2 hours before dark.
Akai completely agrees.
As does Alex.
Alex will keep his shotgun at the ready ready, loaded with buckshot, he has no objection to being either first or last, but thinks someone with more acute tracking/navigating skills should lead.

ooc: Are the electric prods suitable as a melee weapon?
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

Rotten
Tracker
Tracker

#80 Post by Rotten »

Stan-

"I'll ride up front. My bow can go off silently if something needs to be taken out that way."

Return to “Recklessfireball's Star Frontiers Campaign”