Father of Worms

Revenant
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Father of Worms

#421 Post by Darithe »

Mave

At least their backs are to us, Mave thinks, so there is that in their favor. For now she will act as if nothing is awry and continue towards the gate, hoping whatever is on the other holds their attention.

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#422 Post by Revenant »

The two guards on the gate wall spare but a glance at the riders especially once they catch sight of the stable boys. They return to their watch and the reason they were hired...to keep people from entering without a reason.

Once you reach the gate Berne and Kip give you a friendly wave and wish you a safe journey. Then they turn and start walking back towards the stables.

The two guards outside the gates frown as you pass, since they have yet to find what caused the noise. One remarks, "Now with all that racket from their mounts, we'll never find the varmint." They shrug and re-enter the gates and you heard it being bolted shut behind you on the other side.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#423 Post by Rex »

Bryne

Bryne moves to intercept the riders out of sight of the guards.

"We heard noises back where we came from. Best hurry."

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#424 Post by Darithe »

Mave

Mave will quickly and quietly lead the horses in the direction Bryne has indicated. She wishes to be gone from this place but realizes more is going on then she knows.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#425 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Torvik follows mave and helps lead the horses in that direction.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#426 Post by Revenant »

The group with the mounts follow Bryne's lead and move into the forest where they find the others, including Athan and his prisoner. Shortly thereafter, Morwen leading her bedraggled prisoner returns. He appears bruised and cut as does, to a lesser extent Morwen. She relates how she had to chase after him and he fell down an embankment shortly before she caught up to him.

The group needs to decide their next course of action. I believe the ultimate goal is to reach Lionsgate, but do you plan to keep off the beaten track or continue along the main roads.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#427 Post by Darithe »

Mave

Frowns at the news of the attempted escape, it only convinces her more that these two need to sent on their way, whatever that way may be, sooner rather than later. She will ask Bryne, Thena, Wilwarin and Torvik to speak privately and then suggest they decide the fate of their two prisoners, before something else occurs.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#428 Post by Rex »

Bryne

Privately, "We are without resources and surrounded by foes here. I would prefer to bring them along for now."

GreyWolfVT

#429 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Torvik nods. "We best get movin'."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#430 Post by The Bindoner »

Rex wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:35 am Bryne

Privately, "We are without resources and surrounded by foes here. I would prefer to bring them along for now."
Wilwarin adds:

I do not think we can safely release them here, and now we are together, we are better able to watch them. Perhaps, when we are further from anywhere, we can risk freeing them.

Torvik nods. "We best get movin'."

We should, indeed, put as much distance as possible between us and this place. A mile or so on the road will give us speed, but we should find a place to turn aside, with as little sign as possible, and travel in cover. There are certain to be pursuers.

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#431 Post by Revenant »

Making use of the forest covering here, you mount your recently regained rides and push forward to the southeast. The prisoners ride behind Athan and Morwen, their temporary guards. With Brindleseep far behind you, and the feeling of safety from pursuit growing in your thoughts, the road proper beckons you to make your way to it, picking up speed as you ride and eating a brief meal while mounted, content to put the foul town behind you before darkness falls. There is no traffic here, though you know some will lie ahead once you reach the Northern Pass Road, a much busier thoroughfare, that you traveled from Lupre. You may push on, though a ride in darkness, even upon a deserted road, can indeed be dangerous. You estimate the Northern Pass Road lies about a mile or so ahead when twilight begins to descend. You look at one another and decide whether to push on or seek a well-hidden campsite.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#432 Post by Rex »

Bryne

"I think a well hidden camp site is our best option, the horses need a rest as do we."

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#433 Post by Darithe »

Mave

"Shame about the wagon," she states as they stop to make their decision. Though it likely would have slowed us further she thinks. Still riding double doesn't help our speed and tires out the horses quicker. And she was already tired herself. It's been a long exhausting day, "I certainly wouldn't object to a respite. Even a night on hard ground and cold tack would be welcome." "Do you think we could chance a fire?," she asks hopefully.
Last edited by Darithe on Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

GreyWolfVT

#434 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Torvik "Yeah well we couldn't go gettin everythin'. Horses er nothin' I'm just glad we ain't stuck walkin'. But yeah best bet is findin a goo hidden campsite er somethin that resembles one."

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#435 Post by The Bindoner »

Wilwayaisawén

I agree, I do not think riding through the night wise either. A hidden camp site and a fresh start at dawn are better ideas.
Last edited by The Bindoner on Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#436 Post by Rex »

Bryne

Bryne will try and find a good spot for a hidden camp.

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#437 Post by Revenant »

campfire2.jpg
campfire2.jpg (112.39 KiB) Viewed 355 times
Bryne disappears into the forest beside the road you travel. She is gone a scant quarter hour or more before she returns and waves you to follow. A good distance from the road under a rocky overhang you find a good flat area that appears to have been used as a makeshift campsite by someone else, though certainly a long time past. The overhang will certainly block sight, at least partially from any near and offer some modicum of protection from the elements for those who make their beds beneath. Trees nearby also offer a place to tie/hobble the mounts and yet keep them close for those on guard watch duties.

Vari and Kade offer to go look for game while others gather wood for a fire, which is soon blazing and giving off ample warmth against the rapidly cooling night air. Game is apparently plentiful, as Vari and Kade soon return with a plump hare and set about to skinning the evening's meal while Liviel hums softly preparing a pot over the fire.

As you discuss the plan for tomorrow, Athan mentions that once you reach the road, he will need to depart for Belay on the task he promised to complete. Likewise, Locke mentions that he too will need to set off in another direction, though he is grateful for your company during your short time together. Davion also states that he intents to return to Lupre, adding nervously that he should report back to Tallow.

Ruskin ties the two prisoners to a nearby tree, close enough that they can share in the warmth of the fire, and then take a seat nearby where he can keep a watchful eye on the two.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#438 Post by Rex »

Bryne

Bryne will take whatever watch is needed and try and get a good nights rest. "Looks like some parting of ways then. I hope to see you each again in the future and good luck as always!"

GreyWolfVT

#439 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Torvik before starting a fire that night "We should dig tha fire pit down in tha ground it'll be harder fer others ta see from a distance. Maybe build some rocks up round it too." the dwarf says based on his experience.

The next morning "I hate splittin up I only just met ya all after tryin ta sort out chaos two towns ago. Some of yah just recently in another chaotic place. An now we're splittin tha party. Ain't never a wise plan, but that's just me speakin me mind. Though I can't stop yah I understand it."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#440 Post by Rex »

Bryne

"Good idea Torvik, I will help with that."

Return to “Nocturne (2e)”