Helix: Axe and Anvil Forge and Artisan Community.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Helix: Axe and Anvil Forge and Artisan Community.

#61 Post by Spearmint »

+2 Silver Daggers bought, -60gp.

zagygthemad
Scout
Scout

#62 Post by zagygthemad »

Yngvar

Realizing he does not have the coin for a silvered dagger, Yngvar heads back to the Strumpet with Brutus to see if there is anything for him to do for the day to help anyone else.

Straither
Tracker
Tracker

#63 Post by Straither »

Wrathbone

sometime between July 4th-5th 1066.

The dwarf will visit the community of his kinsmen.
Moradin Conclave Hall
The heart of Dwarven and Gnomish community. The hall serves religious services such as the fasting and prayer Oath-sworn warrior vocations, axe or hammer blessing, frothy ales and mead distillery, keeping a record of historical archives and general birth, death, marriage celebrations.

Post here for any research or assistance you need. Karl Barrelgut as Forgemaster takes the precedent as Moradin priest.
I will pay my respects and join in any formal service, adding my dulcit baritones to the make voice choir and ringing any bells, thumping any drums as appropriate in the rituals.

I am interested in knowing more about 'oath sworn warrior vocations and the blessing of traditional dwarven weapons. Would that veer towards 'a paladin of Moradin'. I read that you don't have dwarf clerics except as npc's, so how else do dwarves carry the virtues of Moradin into battle or expeditions and can they manifest or take any cleric blessing with them?

Wrathbone: reactions with fellow dwarves in Helix forge [1d100]=8Wrathbone: reactions with fellow dwarves in Helix forge: Charisma vs 8 [4d6]=9

I wasn't sure if you wanted a roll. The reaction one looks a hostile result :oops: but the Charisma check is not too much of a failure.

BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#64 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Bhelnus

Joins Wrathbone at the Axe and Anvil Moradian Conclave Hall to learn more about his fellow dwarves in Helix and how he can earn a blessing upon his hammer before he ventures out into the wilds.

If needed here are my rolls

reaction roll: and charisma check: vs. 6 with dwarves

I think I actually need to change the marco for the charisma check and do a 4d6 vs. my 6 dwarven charisma?

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#65 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
This is a good idea, my new friends. I will join you. I would like to get Karl Barrelgut's take on my axe.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Spearmint »

The Axe and Anvil Forge

There is quite a bit of furore in the Forge at this time as the recent Rescue of Three-Moons dud not succeed with rescuing the captive cleric alive.

It is a sour note and black mark upon Karl Barrelgut who himself led the venture. Their victory over Lizardman foes is a bitter tasting one.

Fydmar, Wrathbone & Bhelnus visit, joining in the community grief, taking part in ritual mourning which includes long sessions of drum beating and throat singing and anthems of lament or battle song.

In terms of personal interests, Fydmar can touch base with Bogart, the dwarf prematurely aged after an encounter with a ghost and meet the surviving sons of Greybeard, Cody was one, the other nameless. Both had been blindfolded after being wounded and still bear the scars of their trauma. While the brother remains sightless, the other has regained his vision and can see one of those who helped his family return from a disastrous expedition. He looks at his Father's axe. "He is not hear, returning to the Moor to look for Malcor. I fear he will not return."

He has no wish to reclaim the gifted Axe but prays a blessing over it and adds his own gift, a sharpening stone. Sharpening stones give a weapon the 'Keen Edge' trait meaning they score critical damage on natural 19's to hit but may become liable to fracturing on a natural 1 fumble roll. It is good for rubbing on a blade prior to a prolonged encounter.

Presenting it to Karl Barrelgut for inspection and dedication, he adds to your current knowledge as described in your private thread.

"Certain hammers and axes may be imbued so as to return to the hurler once it has impacted upon a foe. The weapon needs 'attunement' to the wielder as much as the wielder needs attunement to Moradin and His Forge."

The priest can lead Fydmar through such initiations once you become more experienced (ie: level up to 4th level as this is the threshold for obtaining a class benefit).

He leads you in a prayer, covering the axe with a blessing. "When you call upon Moradin in great need, he will speed his help but once." add 'Prayer to Moradin' note. You may pray then throw the axe, which is already +1 to hit when thrown due to its crafting, but you get a double blessing of +2 to hit and double damage, but only one such prayer powered attack.

Wrathbone & Bhelnus
so how else do dwarves carry the virtues of Moradin into battle or expeditions and can they manifest or take any cleric blessing with them?
Certain virtues are character based, strength and fortitude in battle, endurance, bravery, discipline. Dwarves can bear tokens of Moradin, blessed trinkets and items that instill such virtues in themselves or comrades. But blessings come with tribute and sacrifice. So honouring Moradin after one battle brings a boon in the next. Bringing tithes from one expedition as Thanksgivings opens the door for blessings upon future endeavours.

You are both newcomers to the commune and yet to face any test if your mettle against the Barrow Moor dangers. However the priest is not without grace for those who call upon the great Smith Creator. He leads you in a ritual named 'First Blood' which is a dedication you can repeat after you receive your first wound in battle (supposing you survive, and since no good warrior dwarves ever dies in their first battle, they would be too ashamed to enter the celestial Mead-halls if they ever did!), Moradin will reward his followers.

Add "Moradin: rite of 1st Blood note. Once you complete the ritual after your first battle, you will receive temporary hp equal to the initial wound damage received in your next battle.
I am interested in knowing more about 'oath sworn warrior vocations and the blessing of traditional dwarven weapons. Would that veer towards 'a paladin of Moradin'

Seeking a blessing on his hammer.
Your weapons are prayed over and consecrated. As yet they have not been swung in earnest but once bloodied (on a goblin head) then they can be further dedicated to receive temporary imbuements.

Dwarven paladins, great idea and provoking. I think such heroes must exist, but only as higher level Fighters. So accept that as a challenge to become one though that rules out dual class with thief options. Wrathbone, take +25xp for the idea.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Jernau35 »

Hake

Between July 6th -10th

Hake dusts off his armor before entering the Forge, not wanting to look too much like a beggar.

"Good day, Master Dwarf, sir. My name is Perseverance Hake. I am a servant of St Ygg".

"I've recently been traveling out beyond Crooked Yew, well into the wilderness. Quite a dangerous place. As you can see, my current armor is quite...light. I believe it is only the grace of St Ygg that brought me safely back to Helix."

"I would like purchase better armor for my next journey. My purse cannot stretch as far as platemail, but perhaps you have splintmail? or banded armor? Or even chainmail? And how much would they cost?"
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Spearmint »

The Axe and Anvil Forge.

From the 1st page:
All prices here are taken from the PHB (pg35) but at a base +20% mark up for tools and +50% for armours, shields and weapons (due to customisation and fitting). Duchy broadsword are exempt from the extra tax and mark up so may be bought at standard value.

The dwarves may also be able to craft or repair enchanted items such like armour and swords. Each is appraised on individual merit's and any crafted enhancement comes at a reciprocal cost to cover material compounds, spell craft and time.

Basic armour (all light types) can be bought 'off-the-shelf', all medium armour takes a couple of weeks to craft and heavy armour can take six weeks plus.
So, they can tailor a new suit of heavier or improved armour but it will take a few weeks to craft. But they can repair your current Scale armour back to 'as new' in a few days, for -33gp, -15sp and suggest you improve your shield from wooden to an iron banded, "Perhaps a round type, embossed in iron. Or a knightly Kite shield, plain of course unless you want some heraldry or motif. Larger are made to order and we can lacquer the surfaces to snuff out fiery arrows."

Shields start at 22gp for a basic protection. They can equip you with shield and armour, cutting a deal for fifty gold.
Last edited by Spearmint on Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Jernau35 »

Hake orders a suit of splinted mail and hands over 120gp.

If repairing his current armor is 33gp and a new shield is 22gp, I don't understand what the 60gp deal is. Does it include a better shield?

120 gp deducted so far.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Spearmint »

I don't understand what the 60gp deal is.
sorry, dwarven typo, should be 50gp.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Jernau35 »

Hake

If his current armor and shield is unlikely to last until the splint mail is ready, Hake will pay the 50gp. If it's in good enough shape for now, he'll just keep wearing it until his new suit is ready to collect.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Spearmint »

The Axe and Anvil Forge

July 6th-10th:
Sandy, niece of the Forgemaster Priest Karl takes Perseverance Hake into the fitting room to size him up for some tailored armoured.

This armor is made of narrow vertical strips of metal riveted to a backing of leather that is worn over cloth padding. Flexible chain mail protects the joints and can include a fur-lined 'cod-piece' (which she does measure, you can choose between small, medium or large) but you can customise it in a finish of choice, plain colours, tartan, inscribed with a logo or scripture verse ....

Splint-mail is traditionally bulky, disadvantaging more stealthy types but a sturdy ward against most piercing and slashing weapons. After taking shoulder to hip measurements, adjusting the frame for broad or rounded shoulders, hunchback, barrel or pigeon chested, rotundness of girth and other personal features; a basic set is worked on.

She takes the -120gp commission and suggests the item should be ready by the end of the month.

Assessing your current armour, it should survive some basic scraps, they fix a few clinks and tears as 'all part of the service'. The wooden shield is nicked but adequate.

I have actually to work in some armour depreciation, especially after taking hits in battle. It might be though I don't award npc's or creatures bonus damage from critical hits, I might note armour becoming weaker and higher in AC rating as a way to indicate wear and tear.

actions note Splint-mail Armour: collection by end of July in your sheet.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Jernau35 »

Hake

"I have been advised that a silvered weapon would be more effective against the undead. Would it be feasible to silver the head of my morningstar? If not, I also carry a club. Perhaps you could drive silver nails into it for a similar effect?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Spearmint »

The Axe and Anvil Forge

Giving some consideration, the weaponsmiths can nail in some of the obsidian shards, coating each of the sharpened edges with anointed silvering to give an augmented club, effective against iron resistant creature types and lycanthropes, giving a studded effect.

Silvering a common weapon cost circa 30x base cost; a silver dagger retails as 35gp, depending on blade length or just enhancing a barbed arrowhead. So figure a similar costs for the crafting -30gp.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal enters the blacksmith shop and greets the dwarves with the courtesy and deference that a sacred place deserves. Before having Comnhaol follow him inside, he asks if he can enter, as it's precisely for him. He addresses Karl Barrelgut with a slight bow.

"Gude mornin', master blacksmith. Mah faithful hoond, Comnhaol, accompanies me on aw mah quests an' exposes himsel' tae aw sorts o' dangers while fightin' fer me an' mah comp'nions. Ah'd like tae ken if it's possible tae forge some kind o' armor fer 'im that can protect 'im frae baith piercin' an' slashin' attacks frae enemies. Ah'm no' sure if it can be made frae scales, chainmail, or even plates. Ah'd also like tae inquire aboot the possible cost o' sic an un'ertakin' an' the lead time... Ah'll be stayin' in Helix fer a total o' ten days afore embarkin' on oor next mission."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Spearmint »

Sandy does the tailoring for new armour suits, so she measures up the growing hound and scribbling notes says that they can cut a Studded Leather outfit to cover his head, neck, chest, back and flanks with ankle mittens and horned spurs fir the front paws.

A customized outfit for Conmhaol, costing one third of the cost of barding for horses. With current Duchy taxes and inflation, (giving him AC5 due to Dex) will be -50gp.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#77 Post by Edeldhur »

Axe and Anvil
Theraxx

Theraxx is not one much for smiles, but one peeks under his beard when he enters the Axe and Anvil - he looks around for someone who seems to work, or is actually working there and waits for an opportunity to speak (don't want to disturb what can be a crucial moment for someone at a forge) - "Well met, I am Theraxx Hammerhead, come looking for an apprenticeship at the most reputed Forge of the region" - he introduced himself, then added with his usual pragmatism - "And to ask about one disappeared Traelorian, apprentice to Valeron - we were told he was part of a dwarvish expedition"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Spearmint »

The Axe and Anvil Forge.

Theraxx introduces himself, meeting Gern one of the senior craftsman who busies himself with a number of tasks in smelting and shaping the hot irons. He shakes a sooty palm with the new knisman.
"I come looking for an apprenticeship at the most reputed Forge of the region."
he asks.

It is the only dwarven forge in the region outside of the Moon Peaks apart from the Citadel Conclave and a mine Memorial Forge set in the Moon Peak foothills near to Bogtown.

Gern listens, gesturing for you to give him your Warhammer and Longsword. He inspects the blade, tutting at various clefts and nicks, passing it to one engaged apprentice who sharpens it on a grinding stone.

"We can certainly take people on to teach them basic skills. Things they might need as they adventure, most dwarves who navigate here have either adventure in mind or less lucrative and less risky work." He appraises you as a warrior in training and probably not committed to a formal apprenticeship which might NPC a character for several seasons.

But certainly adding a skill such as 'crafting blades', 'blacksmithing' (horseshoes and general agricultural tools), shield crafting and refurbing armours, (Ringmail, Chain, Plate) can be learned as part or 'character class' investment.

The Forge, as a place of worship as well as work can also imbue dwarves and their weapons with divine Moradin blessings via rituals in the Conclave Hall.

"And to ask about one disappeared Traelorian, apprentice to Valeron - we were told he was part of a dwarvish expedition"

Gern at the Forge [1d100]=30

The request gets a frown, but Gern responds,

"The ranger was lost upon the Moor as the Forgemaster went to to negotiate with lizardmen renegades." He spits at the word of the reptilians, a spittoon made from a plumed Sauron helm 'tings' with the chewing tobacco spat out.

"If the 'Vain' Valeron couldn't find him, then he probably cannot be found. Unless he secretes him among his Mongrel-kin friends."

The reply is not the most encouraging and beyond sharing that 'something strange' happened upon the trail towards the Barrow Mounds, he cannot tell you more. Discouraged you may be. Then he offers, "Two of our brothers were less beset than the rest. In truth, this Traelorian committed himself to help our cause. Maybe one of those can tell you more?"

He gives the names of two dwarves, Finngael and Ranndark.

Finn & Rann at the Forge vs 1 [1d6]=2

"You seem to have just missed them." he says.

Actions please.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Stirling »

Scarlett

Gives Theraxx space to chat with his colleagues and kinsfolk. She views the 'off the peg' armours available and various shield designs though her own current ware is sufficient.
"Really? That is a shame, they might have helped us so. Do you know where they went? The tavern perhaps or the Silver Standard? Or any expedition or labour?"

She asks hoping one (or both?) might even be convinced to join us on a trek.

My understanding from Valeron was that the lizardman camp was quickly abandoned and whatever excavations they were doing there were left unexplored. A 'long shot' thought is finding Traelorian for the bowyer and uncovering any mystery of the lizardmen excavations for Karl Barrelgut the Forge-Master, might stand us in good stead with both and earn some reward too.

She will prompt Theraxx to ask in that regard.

Edeldhur
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#80 Post by Edeldhur »

Spearmint wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:55 pm The Axe and Anvil Forge.

"We can certainly take people on to teach them basic skills. Things they might need as they adventure, most dwarves who navigate here have either adventure in mind or less lucrative and less risky work." He appraises you as a warrior in training and probably not committed to a formal apprenticeship which might NPC a character for several seasons.

But certainly adding a skill such as 'crafting blades', 'blacksmithing' (horseshoes and general agricultural tools), shield crafting and refurbing armours, (Ringmail, Chain, Plate) can be learned as part or 'character class' investment.
"I would be much thankful fer dat, Master Gern - and ye can be sure ye'll be seeing me again, if I'm not eaten by something unnatural out in da wilds"

(That's perfect Spearmint!)
Spearmint wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:55 pmThe request gets a frown, but Gern responds,

"The ranger was lost upon the Moor as the Forgemaster went to to negotiate with lizardmen renegades." He spits at the word of the reptilians, a spittoon made from a plumed Sauron helm 'tings' with the chewing tobacco spat out.

"If the 'Vain' Valeron couldn't find him, then he probably cannot be found. Unless he secretes him among his Mongrel-kin friends."

The reply is not the most encouraging and beyond sharing that 'something strange' happened upon the trail towards the Barrow Mounds, he cannot tell you more. Discouraged you may be. Then he offers, "Two of our brothers were less beset than the rest. In truth, this Traelorian committed himself to help our cause. Maybe one of those can tell you more?"

He gives the names of two dwarves, Finngael and Ranndark.

Finn & Rann at the Forge vs 1 [1d6]=2

Stirling wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:50 pm Scarlett

"Really? That is a shame, they might have helped us so. Do you know where they went? The tavern perhaps or the Silver Standard? Or any expedition or labour?"
"Yep, we'd be interested in findin' out more about this whole thing, if ye have any idea where they can be found"

"And we'd heard da lizardmen camp had been all but abandoned, and da excavations left unexplored - would that ring of truth?"

Return to “Settlement: Helix”