Drest

"We could just hug the edge I think."

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Tracks In The Desert

#702 Post by The_Wanderer »

Cyril
"It would seem that if we were to leave by another direction, leaving the ruined fortress between us and the canines that we should be able to depart with minimal fuss. Also, I do believe that if Snorri had a choice, he would not mind being devoured by wild dogs. He had a little bit of the wild animal inside of him so it is somehow fitting."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#703 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Rex wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:11 pm Are they in sling range?
Long range, maybe.

You want to avoid the pack by slinging stones at them?
:lol:

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#704 Post by shaidar »

Xenos

"You may think it strange, but I have no attachment to the physical body once someone has passed on. I see it simply as an empty shell. It is just the way I was brought up, so I have no problem leaving those bodies to the dogs."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#705 Post by Rex »

Drest

"It should at least keep them busy while we head back."

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#706 Post by Karaunios »

Akhilleus

"I don't like leaving them to the dogs, but I'm not stupid. Animals aren't either. They rather stick to easy food than getting tired running after prey. They will be packed full of food for a couple days. We have to take the chance as it is and leave now."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#707 Post by Rex »

Drest

Drest will lead the way back.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#708 Post by shaidar »

Xenos nods "Let's take the opportunity it provides."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#709 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Ruined Warlords Palace
Open Courtyard, First Light
Early Morning

Not wishing to waste this prime opportunity for escape, the group reopens the front doors of the ruined palace and heads back out into the dry, barren Zakath Desert.

Their theories about the animals reactions are spot on, as none of the dogs even bother to growl from a distance with their easy, though slightly sandy meals directly in front of them.

The four adventurers make their way back on the same trail they took here, though it isn't long before they find that path has already become windswept and covered. Drest strains his vision, trying to recall any visual aids that will keep them on the true course, but even the dunes out here seem different, as if they are constantly changing with the winds.

With nothing but dry, blowing sand in every direction, and dunes taller than any distant city spires, it is easy to become disoriented out here in the vast wasteland of the Zakath.

Actions?

I will take suggestions on how you want to approach the possibility of becoming lost. If there aren't any, your Scout can go ahead and give me a percentile roll.

Drest AC:7 13/16
Xenos AC:6 12/12 1st:2/2
Akhilleus AC:4 32/32 (2 Ioun stones)
Cyril AC:8 5/5 1st:1/3

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#710 Post by shaidar »

OK, so we know the rough direction we need to head from the palace, but the issue is that once the palace is out of sight there is no point of reference.

So how about this...someone stays behind at the top of the dune with the reference point in view (the palace to start), someone else then heads into position between the person who can see the reference point and the dune in the direction we need to head. The guy who can see the reference point (knows the general direction we need to go) the directs the other person where to stand. We now have a line between the initial reference point, the guy on top of the dune and the guy down below. At this point another person then goes up the top of the dune in the distance and positions themselves on that line. These three people now form a line on the rough direction we need to go. Person number four then heads down onto the gap between dunes further ahead and the guy on the dune top directs them so they are the one same line as the other three. At this point the person at the back moves to the highest dune point ahead of the group and gets directed onto the line, and we keep going like this. I realise that in reality there will be some drift, but as the sun cannot be used as a reference point in Hyperborea and there are no other points of reference I don't see what else we can do, unless Xenos knows something about the desert that might help? I assume we are too far away to know where the sea is?

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#711 Post by shaidar »

Just to add: If we knew the direction of the sea we could head in that direction until we find it, and travel south down the coast to Xambaala (by south I think I mean turn right).

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#712 Post by Rex »

Drest

Drest will also try and find any hint of the direction to the sea. Clouds in that direction, sea breeze, moister air, etc.

Lost [1d100]=60

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#713 Post by Karaunios »

Akhilleus waits for Drest to show his expertise. He agrees to Xenos'plan.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#714 Post by Rex »

Drest

To be clear Drest also agrees to Xenos plan.

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#715 Post by The_Wanderer »

Sounds time consuming but we can probably adjust if we find any other known reference points along the way like the weird living(?) boulders

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#716 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Zakath Desert
Late Morning

Drest climbs to the top of a nearby dune, trying to orient himself to the direction of the sea. Certain his instincts are correct, the others listen to a well thought out plan from Xenos.

Though the party will need to spread their numbers out dangerously thin for his plan to work, they eventually find the "straight line of sight" method to be an invaluable way to effectively traverse the endless shifting dunes.

It does take much longer than everyone simply walking in the same direction, but the distant spires and towers of Xambaala are eventually spotted on the horizon. Nearing midday, certain they are on the right path, Drest suddenly spots a group of 6 Esquimaux-Ixian slaves, adorned with the heavy iron accoutrements and chains of obvious runaways, about three dunes away in the direction of town. The Scout sees them just as they spot him, causing their group to duck out of sight behind the dune they were just about to crest.

This happens just before you reach the area you found the evidence of people being burned at the stake and cannibalism when you first came this way.

Actions?

Drest AC:7 13/16
Xenos AC:6 12/12 1st:2/2
Akhilleus AC:4 32/32 (2 Ioun stones)
Cyril AC:8 5/5 1st:1/3

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#717 Post by Rex »

Drest

Drest signals everyone to join hi, so they are all together and then tells them what he saw.

"Avoid or try and eliminate them before they get back to the ruins and fortify it again?"

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#718 Post by shaidar »

Xenos

"If we plan to return to the fortress then we should deal with them, otherwise leave them. Although, even if we stop this group who knows what might return their while we recuperate in Xambaala."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#719 Post by Rex »

Drest

"True, but it may be best to at least get a better look and see how many there are."

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#720 Post by Karaunios »

Akhilleus

"Aye. Let us be cautious. They're probably poorly armed, but they could be too many."

Return to “Completed Missions”