Chapter 2 - Cash Dollars on the Hoof

jemmus
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 2 - Cash Dollars on the Hoof

#521 Post by redwarrior »

william will assist Paladin in bringing the prisoners to the law.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#522 Post by ateno »

Doos makes sure the accused face is towards the party when he says:

"Your right, your a great story teller, but you still lied, I don't believe you. You made your own bed.

Doos looks for a sign or surprise or rage that confirms his suspicions.

Law [1d20]=7

Doos

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#523 Post by redwarrior »

William mutters I knew it. under his breath. Then in a normal voice Well, we're in a town with law now. as he helps Paladin with the prisoners.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#524 Post by Grognardsw »

Grognardsw wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:22 am
Paladin keenly eyed the accused rapist during his conversation with Doos.

Observation 13 [1d20]=5
Paladin said to Doos privately: “I have a sense of people, and don’t trust him. He’s a slippery one.”

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#525 Post by cybersavant »

Andreas Larson rides with Paladin to the law, but stays on his horse outside while they bring the prisoners inside. He watches the people on the street.
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#526 Post by Grognardsw »

Paladin marched the prisoners into the Austin marshal’s office.

“Marshal, my name is Paladin. I have here two prisoners with signed confessions and evidence implicating certain individuals in a cross-county horse rustling ring in Comal, Hays and other counties.”

Paladin spread out a map and pointed at the areas.

“We have names, locations, and other leads that could lead to the prosecution of those involved at every level, from the horse thieves, to the holding locations, rebranders, buyers, and the man behind it all.”

“We hope justice can be done. I know manpower can be short in these parts. If you need help, me and my colleagues are available for the right price.”

Paladin laid down his business card on the desk.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#527 Post by jemmus »

The riders found their destination. The sign outside says,
Marshal's Office
City of Austin
Southern Section

As the door opens, four men who had been relaxing with their heels kicked back alert and bend to reach for things....
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#528 Post by ateno »

Getting the silent treatment, Doos will bring in his accused rapist after the other three and will wait to be acknowledged.

Doos

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#529 Post by jemmus »

The four men in the office wear badges inscribed with Austin City Police. One man's badge bears the additional inscription, Sergeant. He's shorter than average man, but he carries himself with an air of confidence and control. He looks over the group, as if judging the assumed guiltiness of everyone of the and deciding whether to arrest them all on the spot. But he says, Mr. Paladin, that's very interesting information. So I guess these three men ya got tied up are the horse rustlers suspects?

Gideon McLaury eyes the man equally appraisingly for a second, then says, No sir, mister peace officer. Let me clarify it fer ya. Them two's the rustlers. He points a thumb at mustached Mike Duncan, then young Mark Davidson. Then points it at the other bound man. That one's a attempted raper. Two entirely diffrint episodes and crimes.

The police sergeant looks at Gideon for a long moment. Then again visually appraises the group. The riders notice that the other three officers in the office have kind of resigned looks on their faces, saying "That's just the way it is" or something similar. The sergeant says, Ah see. Well, I suppose all of y'all witnessed the crimes? And ya have some kind of evidence for both of em? We can't hold these men unless we have some evidence to go on. Jack, go ahead and take the gags off a these men Ya don't have to untie em just yet. Albert, Bert, Ned, best switch over from scatterguns to shotguns. Don't The population in here is a little high for scatterguns. All of that is carried out, and the sergeant says to the ungagged men, Do you admit to doing whut you been accused of?

Davidson speaks up. Yessir. I admit that I fell in with a horse rustlin crew. I gave Mr. Paladin all a the information I know. And I signed a confession letter too. I can tell ya more.
Mike Duncan just nods his head.
But the accused rapist says, I didn't do anything like the crime I was accused of. The girl was ready fer some lovin, but we got caught she claimed I was forcin her. Even though she probly knew it would mean lynchin for me.

The sergeant thinks for a minute. He says, Ah'll need that confession letter, Mr. Paladin, er whoever a y'all got it. It'll be the property of the Austin City Marshall's Office goin forward. Well, we have two confessions and one denial. And five witnesses. All of em rode into Austin City on the San Antone to Waco highway. He eye signs to the city policemen, and they start moving with their shotguns to flank the ridersand block their egress from the office and back into the street.
Last edited by jemmus on Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCs

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#530 Post by ateno »

"Afternoon gentlemen, I am Judge Doos, used to be head judge at Giddons a ways east towards Houston, perhaps you have heard of me. I also am here to swear out a complaint. I have taken statements and wiling to write one myself about this gentleman accused of assault and attempted rape.

He began with lying to us on his fast gallop approach that he was being chased by bandits....

Doos will mention the two witnesses, Juanito Garza and Hector Martinez and the father of the young girl, then his interrogation and feelings.

"All this happened about 20 miles down the road but I would stop at John Polk's place about 10 miles down the road first.

Doos only hit the high points, not the whole encounter.

Doos

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#531 Post by jemmus »

The sergeant marshal says, Good to meet ya, Judge Doos. I may have seen yer name in the papers a time er two. Well, we got a problem here. Y'all ain't goin nowhere for the time being. This is the Austin City marshal's office. And them confessions were about crimes committed in Hays and Comal Counties. The... rapist... seems to have committed the alleged... wait, suspected... reported.... purported... accused crime. Outside of Austin city limits. That makes the jurisdiction things very complicated. I'm afraid I'm goin to have to lock all a y'all up for the night until the magistrate can come over tomorrow morning and straighten things out. Y'all witnesses and the accused will git private cells to yer own. Ned, please check on that and let me know. The two men with signed rustling confessions will go into one of the common holding cells.

Come mornin, the witnesses and accused can post a peace bond of $20 for release until the trial. Might be more'n one trial in this case-- probly. Y'all might be in town fer a few days, gentlemen. He smirks a smirky grin.

The three policemen with shotguns stand before the front door of the office, intent on barring any exit. The sergeant strides over to ledger books-strewn desk, looks down at its desktop, and writes on a paper. Oh, by the way, release on yer own recognizance is $30 cash. That means ya go out right now, stay in town, report where yer stayin, and show up fer all trials. He continues writing something down on a paper.

Gideon McLaury starts to tremble with ire. His face goes red, his shoulders quake, his chin juts out, his jaw teeth gnash against the upper ones, and the reddish whiskers on his jaw seem to stand out. Uh...! Uh...! Uh...! Are you tellin me that we have ta pay thirty dollars not to have us in whatever kind a box ya want to leave us in with you holdin the keys. Cause we mercifully brought some criminals in fer court fer jist a little chance fer mercy, instead a jist naturally leavin em to ropes and buzzards? The riders see the man's brows furrow, his blazing eyes narrow, and the fingers of his gun hand spread like the legs of a wolf spider setting up for a strike. They've only known the odd man for a few intense fistfights and gunfighting days. But they've never seen him as ready to explode and do something plain loco-ass crazy.

Three city police are behind the "public" or speaking PCs (Paladin, Doos, William and McLaury). Andreas customarily moves to to a quiet position to the rear with a good field of fire. So we'll assume he did so here too. He's to the side of the police men, and facing the sergeant. The sergeant is in front of the PCs and armed only with an undrawn short-barreled quick draw revolver.
PCs

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#532 Post by cybersavant »

cybersavant wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:33 am Andreas Larson rides with Paladin to the law, but stays on his horse outside while they bring the prisoners inside. He watches the people on the street.
he stayed outside, as stated here - so not sure he knows what's going on yet
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#533 Post by ateno »

Doos walks up and puts his hands on the desk looking at the Marshall.

"Sargent, when did the Reconstruction act change? I am a freedom loving individual of the state of Texas, that does not connect with reporting of a crime. What you are doing, I believe is illegal, unless you can show me some laws of Austin that supersede state law. I believe that Doos goes on and sites the exact and pertinent rules and articles of the situation. is in effect. And your very suspicious like circling us like that. This feels like a shake down, what the f--k is going on? ""

Law [1d20]=1
Um, Wahoo!

Doos

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#534 Post by jemmus »

The marshal's office sergeant face shows that he doesn't follow the line of legal reasoning. But he's been in enough trials to get the gist of what's going on. Well, if ya don't want to put up a peace bond, then we can subpeonas from the magistrate. You bein a judge, you know what that is. The rest of y'all, it's an order to appear in court for a trial. It's after hours and supper time, so the magistrate would have to would have open up the court office, check the calendar, and schedule a trial date. Maybe two of them, one fer the rustlers and one fer the rapist. That might take some time. Maybe an hour or two, maybe more. I'm afraid none of y'all wouldn't be able to leave the office until that's done.

So ya got two choices: wait fer yer subpoenas or deposit a $20 peace bond and go on yer way. To get yer deposit back, you'd have to check back every day to see when the trials will be, and show up fer em. We don't have time to go lookin around fer road ridin witnesses all over Austin. You might be surprised at how many of them just move on and forfeit their peace bond payment. Most probably have somethin of their own they're hidin, and don't want to be questioned to hard in court.
He looks at the witnesses in the room meaningfully and knowingly, with a kind of smirk.

Gideon McLaury's 's face hardens into an even harder scowl, his jaw juts out, and his face becomes a mask of black rage. All who have ridden with him, shot with him, or had somebody they know shot at or by him glances over at him. And then quickly at his gun hand. The thumb is crossed over the ring finger, and the other fingers are rapidly but smoothly drawing up and stretching out. The man spits out, You damn coward town lawman! You don't git to look at me lack that at me! With yer four other lily-livered dumbass bullies pointin guns at ar backs!

He takes a couple of huffs of breath to cool down a little and even his words. Jist to make sure yer bullshit, cowshit, chickenshit shit don't ever happen again-- I'm invitin you to step outside-- Mister Marshal's office sergeant. Just you an me. Mano a mano. Can bring that purpose-made short barrel shotgun if ya want. This single action Colt revolver will do me fine. You think about them things, mister. If ya got the gut ta go to the street on yer own.

The marshal's office sergeant draws back and glances over the riders' shoulders to the policemen standing behind the prisoners prisoners with short-barreled scatterguns. Three seem reluctant and bow their heads and examine their fingernails. But one seems quite ready to put the weight of a finger behind a trigger right now....
PCs

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#535 Post by ateno »

"weapons down now! Everyone."

After things have quieted down.

"Marshall, you said you know me, you know I am fair, you might not like my actions, but I have always told the truth. My friend there does not have $20 to spare and really wants a bath and a beer. We will sign affidavits that swear we will not leave Austin till this is straightened out. Without us there is no case so all our hard works and getting shot at would go to waste. Does that sound like a true Texan? One of us will report back to you what place we are staying in and what our planned movements are, and lock up these three. If the Magistrate wants to swear out a subpoena, I will be at his beck and call. Deal"

Doos holds out his hand for a shake.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#536 Post by redwarrior »

William looks intently at the tableau, shifting his angle so that he can keep as many people as possible in sight all at once. His face says he's with Gideon on this, but hie keeps his hand clear of his gun while the judge talks.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#537 Post by jemmus »

Please see the OOC thread for Experience awards for the PCs info.
PCs

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#538 Post by Grognardsw »

Paladin, about to drop a ton of verbal bricks, thought better as the lawyer negotiated with the corrupt lawmen.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#539 Post by jemmus »

The sergeant eyes Gideon and considers his challenge. His eyes shift left and right, as if he's considering the possible risk of damage to his reputation if he refuses, versus the certain risk of loss of his life if he accepts. The riders know that reputation is important to man who faces confrontations for a living. Maybe more so for this small, cocky bantam rooster. It seems that he arrives at a solution, and his face visibly lights up. He takes two steps forward toward McLaury and throws back his shoulders. Mister, you just committed a crime. The crime of proposing to cooperate to commit a felony offense. You and me both know that dueling is a crime in the State a Texas. Even though about half or more of the men who come to Texas in the beginning were runnin from all over the South after killin a man in a duel.* You are under arrest. Officers, disarm this man! Then git him into a cell. We'll git his name and particulars later.

The trembling with rage Gideon just about moves to draw draw on the sergeant, but instead casts a half-glance over his left shoulder, already knowing what he will see: Three Austin marshal's office men with scatterguns leveled at his back. He gives the sergeant a black look and takes a couple of breaths to settle down. You yella rat sack and yer three scattergun boys are goin to throw me in the calaboose, are ya? Well, jist go ahead an do it. Ah'll see ya someday with a cutter in my hand and one in yers too. Jist the two of us, mano a mano. The sergeant just smirks. An officer steps up from behind and takes Gideon’s pistol for its holster and the other two take by the arms. He looks around the room and outside to Andreas, Doos, Paladin, and William and tips his hat to them. Y’all boys ought go down ta the Iron Front Saloon, like a mentioned before. The Drover Hotel is nearby and ain’t bad. I guess I’ll see y’all at one of the trials. Them two, his, or mine. Oh, would ya mind stablin mah horse. I'll pay ya back, ah give ya my word. Anyway ya got my horse for surety. The police officers frog-march him to a steel grid door at the back of the office, unlock it, and take him in.

The sergeant turns to Doos. He considers the proposal about affidavits instead of subpeonas, apparently the cogs in his head turning none too quickly. Alright then, Mister Doos. Generally a affidavit ain’t worth the paper it’s wrote on, if it ain’t backed by a peace bond. But you seem like a man who cares quite a bit about his reputation. You wouldn't want the Austin Statesman running a story about how Judge Doos skipped out on appearin as a witness fer a trial. I’ll just take yer affidavit, Mr. Doos, I don’t need one from these men. You’ll have to report here by 8:00 AM tomorrow mornin-- in person-- with the information about where you and these men are staying. If any man don’t show for a trial, you'll be held personally responsible.

*This is historically true. A big portion of men coming to the Texas frontier in the 1820s were running from being convicted for killing someone in a duel. Most of the rest of them were running from some other crimes, or more often, from unpaid debts.
PCs

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#540 Post by ateno »

"Sherriff, that's acceptable, we will see you in the morning."

Doos shakes his head about his traveling companion.

"I need to go the the telegraph office, would one of you gather rooms for us please? Thank you."

Doos

Return to “Law of the Gun (Boot Hill 3e)”