Chapter 2 - Cash Dollars on the Hoof

jemmus
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 2 - Cash Dollars on the Hoof

#481 Post by jemmus »

She wasn't tied up. The fella just had her on the ground with his hand over her mouth. Hector's place is around three-quarters of a mile up the road. This time a day he's probably in his house avoidin workin in the midday sun. Summer in this part of Texas is only bearable in the morning and after two, two-thirty.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#482 Post by ateno »

jemmus wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:26 pm She wasn't tied up. The fella just had her on the ground with his hand over her mouth. Hector's place is around three-quarters of a mile up the road. This time a day he's probably in his house avoidin workin in the midday sun. Summer in this part of Texas is only bearable in the morning and after two, two-thirty.
"Appreciate the correction. What what she wearing and were there any red Mark's on her face or wrists? Just want info ro clear things up. Just would like you to be quite about what we talked about till after I see Edna ,after I talk to Hector.

Doos will drink his full of water and make sure his horse gets plenty and fills his canteen, then heads to Hectors.

Doos

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#483 Post by redwarrior »

William seeing Judge Doos get ready to ride off offers Judge, if you don't mind, I'd like to tag along, in case you need a witness. I can hang back lest you need me! I figure that there's plenty of folk here to guard the trussed prisoners. Or in case he gets jumped. William will get back in the saddle and follow unless Doos positively tells him not to.
Last edited by redwarrior on Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#484 Post by ateno »

redwarrior wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:58 am William seeing Judge Doos get ready to rid off offers Judge, if you don't mind, I'd like to tag along, in case you need a witness. I can hang back lest you need me! If figure that there's plenty of folk here to guard the trussed prisoners. Or in case he gets jumped. William will get back in the saddle and follow unless Doos positively tells him not to.
"I'd be fine with that, thank you."

Turning and then turning around. Do you think you could write down what we talked about? Sign it all right and proper Mr. Garza? Thank you!"
Doos

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#485 Post by jemmus »

Garza thinks about Doos's request, then shakes his head. I can't do that, Judge Doos. I don't want a piece of paper with my name and signature on it goin all over who knows where. But I'll swear on a Bible before all of y'all that what I said is true. He grins. Besides, I'm Tejano. I cain't write English, I can only write Mexican.

The posse leader John Polk says, Thank you fer yer time, Juanito. Judge, sir, Hector Martinez's place is on our way, we can all ride together. The mustached rustler who signed his name as Michael Duncan notes that Garza is dipping snuff. Mr. Garza, I ain't no bum, but I ain't in a position to do no shoppin. Do you think you could spare a pinch of yer tabacca? Juanito Garza says, Shore, mister. A fella in yer position deserves whatever little comfort along the way he can git. But I'm warning ya like the priest warned me-- tabacco is bad fer yer eternal soul. He lets him and the other, shorter, more forlorn rustler help themselves to pinches with their bound hands. But he doesn't offer the same kindness to the posse's prisoner.

Any actions before we leave the Garza place?
PCs

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#486 Post by ateno »

jemmus wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:37 pm Garza thinks about Doos's request, then shakes his head. I can't do that, Judge Doos. I don't want a piece of paper with my name and signature on it goin all over who knows where. But I'll swear on a Bible before all of y'all that what I said is true. He grins. Besides, I'm Tejano. I cain't write English, I can only write Mexican.
<snip>
Any actions before we leave the Garza place?
"Mr. Garza. If this goes to court a written testimony will do more to send him to the hangman, if found guilty. I can take your testimony in your native language. It would help, honest.

"You can share the ride, but I ask you to ride on when we arrive. I need a private talk.

Doos

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#487 Post by jemmus »

Garza looks at John Polk. Polk's expression remains hard, but doesn't indicate anything to the affirmative or negative. Garza turns to Doos. If there's a trial, I'll speak as a witness. But we don't have no court around here.

Polk says, All right, Mr. Doos, you can speak with Hector Martinez in private. Let's go.

Any actions by anyone before we leave the Garza place?
PCs

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#488 Post by ateno »

"If there is a remote court, I will write down what you said and have a witness cosign, if the judge feels they want to talk to you in person, they will send for you. Thank you."

Turns and heads for Hectors.

"Doos thinks there is something going on, he could be wrong. But is curious what will happen when he speaks to the young lady alsone.

Doos

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#489 Post by jemmus »

The two groups with their three prisoners leave Juanito Garza and his ranch behind. In less than a mile the posse turn off onto a road to the left and ride a quarter mile. There's a typical ranch with a barn and vegetable garden. The hear a woman's voice call from inside the house. Hector! ¡Te despiertas! Visitantes! The posse members lead the way up to the front porch. A thin man with a black mustache comes through the front door, obviously have just woken up. Afternoon, Hector, John Polk says. Sorry to bother you. The man eyes the dusty prisoner and the two tied-up rustlers. But only says, It's no bother, John. It's almost time for the evening chores anyway. Y'all come in and have some cool tea. The man is a more quiet, soft-spoken type than his friend Juanito Garza.

We thank you for the offer, Hector, but we just stopped by fer a little business, then we'll be on our way. This is Judge Jonathan Doos. He has some questions for ya about... what happened. In private. Good to meet you, Martinez says. Let's go to the barn. It's shady. He and Doos do that, and the man tells the judge that matches Garza's in substance: they were going fishing; they heard a girl scream for help; saw a man the man that's tied up on the horse holding Edna Polk down on the ground with his hand over her mouth; he ran for his horse; he and Juanito could have shot at him with their pistols, but they didn't; they told John Polk which way he seemed to be headed. But he says one thing that Juanito didn't. John Polk asked us to join a posse, but we said we couldn't. We're taught not to git into trouble that's between Anglo Texans. If a feud starts, the Anglo men will just kill the other men. But if a Tejano is involved, they'll kill the men, and burn his house and shoot all of the livestock. To leave the women and kids poor and homeless.

I hope I'm not posting too fast and not giving people a chance to post. Feel free to interject at any point up to now.
PCs

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#490 Post by redwarrior »

William continues to tag along behind Doos to the barn, far enough to not overhear much of the conversation, but close enough to read body language, or be called for as a witness or if there's trouble.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#491 Post by ateno »

does the specifics that i received from the other man match his anout the same or suspicioulu exact same wording?

"Thank you for your testimony, i understand why you dont want to write anything down, but if it cones to it i will and tell the judga that you will affirm in person, good?

Doos

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#492 Post by Grognardsw »

Paladin lit a cigarette to while away the time, keeping an eye on his prisoners.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#493 Post by jemmus »

ateno wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:00 am does the specifics that i received from the other man match his anout the same or suspicioulu exact same wording?

"Thank you for your testimony, i understand why you dont want to write anything down, but if it cones to it i will and tell the judga that you will affirm in person, good?

Doos
Yes, Juanito Garza and Hector Martinez told matching stories. The only difference is Martinez mentioned that he was taught not to get involved between disputes between Anglo-Texan parties. Should a blood feud start, the Anglos might treat the Texicans and their family members differently. To Doos, that doesn't seem material to the two men's accounts of what happened. The match up and corroborate. But Martinez's is maybe significant to why either man will sign a written statement?
PCs

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#494 Post by ateno »

"Thank you everyone, so, where does the young lady live?

Doos

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#495 Post by Grognardsw »

Grognardsw wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:40 am Paladin lit a cigarette to while away the time, keeping an eye on his prisoners.
Under the watchful eye of Andreas and Gideon, Paladin led the prisoner Davidson’s horse a little away from Mike’s so he couldn’t hear. Both prisoners were bound, gagged, and tied onto their horses.

“So Davidson, the Austin marshal and judge may look kindly on you if you share everything you know about horse rustling activity in the area. Who’s involved, history, victims, locations, that sort of thing. If you want to talk, nod your head, and I’ll take the gag off.”

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#496 Post by cybersavant »

Andreas Larson continues to ride with the group, behind the prisoners, and stays apart from the recent proceedings.
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#497 Post by jemmus »

Bound and gagged young Davidson listens intently to Paladin's words. He cuts his eyes over at the similarly restrained mustached rustler, his eyebrows raised and his forehead furrowed with concern. But quickly looks back to Paladin and looks him in the eye. He nods his "yes."

John Polk answers Doos, My daughter Edna lives in mah house, which is 10 er so mile up the road toward Austin. He looks over at the bound, dusty, and sweaty rider on his lathered and about ridden to death horse. Where that damn saddle bum bastard was eatin steaks and potatas and cornbread and drinkin fresh coffee with cream an Louisiana cane sugar last night. With a roof over his head, and sleepin around quilts quilted by my good wife. No sir, Mr. Doos, I don't believe you'll be discussin the... incident, with Edna. The poor child been through enough, without havin to tell the story again to any judge or court. Er lawyer

A man of the posse, all of whom have been grimly and stoically silent to now, clears his throat. He's a square-jawed, clean-shaven fellow with a hook nose. He looks like a typical hardnosed Anglo Texas rancher. The kind who work their cowboys hard, and work harder than that themselves. If not from out of pride, than because of basic cheapness. "Bankers don't sweat. Ranchers do."

The middle-aged posse member rancher leans forward and puts his leathery hands on his saddle horn. John, this is yer truck, not mine. If it was me though, I'd put ole boy on the nearest branch er pole. And be done with it. Er ya kin tarn the saddle loose. To keep doin' the same thang on his next stop on tha road.

As fer them fellers ridin with tied-up horse thieves going to court in Austin. I know about as much about either them as you do, John.

Another mounted rancher leans forward and puts hands on the saddlehorn. Jist mah opinion, John. If it was me, I wouldn't take this blackheart all the way back ta yer place. Git it done with, lack shootin a ole chickin-killin dog when ya have to.
Last edited by jemmus on Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCs

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#498 Post by ateno »

"Sorry not possible, we are going to clean this up legal, or I report your illegal murder of this gentleman, the Marshall will show and take you and everyone away. One conversation is all I ask. It's at your place, not in Austin."

Doss does not touch or move towards his weapons.

Doos

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#499 Post by Grognardsw »

jemmus wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:19 am Bound and gagged young Davidson listens intently to Paladin's words. He cuts his eyes over at the similarly restrained mustached rustler, his eyebrows raised and his forehead furrowed with concern. But quickly looks back to Paladin and looks him in the eye. He nods his "yes."
Paladin undid Davidson’s gag so the man could talk.

“Ok, help me help you,” said Paladin.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#500 Post by jemmus »

At Doos words, Polk’s face again reddens and his eyes widen into a hot stare. The other members of posse see that and sit higher in their saddles. Polk seems about to explode into angry words-- but he bites his tongue and instead clenches his jaw tight. I don’t who ya think are, Mister Judge Jonathan Doos. I ain’t said it before, but yer talking to former Captain John Polk, Texas 8th Infantry Battalion. Which was at Shiloh, Chattanooga, and Chickamauga. And many other smaller engagements, right up ta the very end. Big engagement or small, it didn’t matter to the many boys who lost their lives, and the more of em who lost a limb.

I told ya once, and I shouldn’t have to tell ya again-- you ain’t questionin that little girl. She ain’t no criminal, she ain’t no liar, and she ain’t no… hussy.” He looks around to the posse ranchers, and it’s just a second before they nod their heads in firm affirmation. “Ya already heard Juanito Garza’s and Hector Martinez’s stories. Their words are as good gold, and they ain’t got no reason ta lie. Not fer a driftin saddle bum stranger. Who run scared from the scene and about kilt his horse tryin to git away with no holes in his danged hide er no noose around his neck.

He thinks a minute. So now yer threatening to report us to the law if we give this sumbitch the country justice he deserves. I’m thinkin to call yer hand on that. And just see what a judge and jury would think about that. I expect they’d throw the whole thang out and be glad that somebody had the gumption to rid the state of another no-count driftin bum to lazy to turn a tap. But I ain’t gonna git my family involved in a bunch a trials and lawyers horseshit in Austin. Cause you and me both know little Edna would be called on to testify about somethin or other. And I ain’t gonna put her through that.

Now. You can see that me and these good men have possession the bastart’s horse’s reins. We’re gonna pass em over to ya. So you can take responsibility fer the prisoner-- and responsibility for any crimes he might commit against the women and girls of Texas in the future. There’s a murmur and exchange of glances of doubt among the men of the posse. But the former captain of infantry confidently continues on with no acknowledgment of that at all. So y’all can ride on to wherever yer goin with one more hog-tied and gagged-up prisoner. Who I pray to Lord are not the innocent parties among a group a strangers met out on the highway.

We’re both going the same direction, but as courtesy, we’ll let y’all go first. I’m guessing yer ridin to Austin, which is a good 20 mile yet. Ya might make it before sundown, depending on the pace of them poor ole U.S. Army mounts. I wouldn’t recommend bein on the road after dark, if ya can help it. Comanches generally stay to out west, beyond the Colorada River. But sometimes the young ones form a party for rangin, stealing, shootin, burning and scalpin. Just fer the fun of it.

We got just 10 or some miles to ride, so y’all can head out first. We’ll follow behind at a walking pace after a quarter hour or so. I don’t particular care to ride along the same stretch a the road with ya, Mr. Jonathan Doos. I cain’t think of many people I would say that to. Except fer yer new prisoner, of course.

Another post is following.
PCs

Return to “Law of the Gun (Boot Hill 3e)”