Revenant
Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

Brindleseep

#1 Post by Revenant »

Brindleseepmap.jpg
Brindleseepmap.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 575 times
The wooden walls of Brindleseep lie ahead. They are closed and you can see an outline of a guard tower to your left. Two armored men are on watch in the tower. As they catch sight of you, one says something to someone below the wall. You are too far away to make out what they say. Then the one who spoke raises a longbow as does his companion. They do not fire but they are watching you as you ride closer.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Brindleseep

#2 Post by The Bindoner »

Wilwayaisawén

Wilwarin notes the response of the guards, but does not check Shadow’s pace.

Only the guilty flinch under the gaze of the watchmen.

In a jesting tone she adds:
I imagine some of you are eager for hot food and home comforts, but restrain yourselves, haste may seem like eagerness to beat the guard to the gate.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rex »

Bryne

Bryne approaches the gate with her empty hands in the open.

"Hail, we are travelers requesting entrance."

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by spanningtree »

Thena

Small and remote, might not be the best welcome... but we'll see. Thena will give a measured wave to the guards as they approach.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by Darithe »

Mave

Rides leisurely onward with Wilwarin and Liviel, on the opposite side of Liviel. She doesn't acknowledge the guards, letting others handle that task.

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by Revenant »

Brindleseep Guard.jpg
Brindleseep Guard.jpg (22.62 KiB) Viewed 541 times
The wind is strong and it bites at the bones here at the foot of the Azads. You briefly wonder how rough the weather will be if you end up traveling to Hammerfall. The guard, a rather surly looking fellow scowls at you. He seems to be in command of the tower and shouts down gruffly, "Name and who sent ya!"

Vari smirks looking to Torvik, "Nice reception we're getting. Spmewhat slightly better than what greeted us in Lupre though." Davion timidly slips off the wagon with arms raised and says, "We're the group of adventurers Mr. Tallow sent sir, to help with the mine issues. I have a message from him if you'd like to read it." The guard continues to scowl then spits a dollop of black tobacco from between his lips, "Can't read," he says a bit of black saliva spilling from between his lips.

He stands still for several moments looking you all over before shouting down to someone behind the wall, "Tallow's answer to our call it appears," and now its the guard's turn to smirk. The gates creak loudly as they swing open, and you are welcome by several heavily armed guards and a small spindly balding man dressed in silver robes. "Welcome my friends," he calls out in a reedy voice, "Welcome to Brindleseep. Mr. Tallow has already sent word you were coming, but we hadn't expected you so soon." Davion bows and steps forward handing him Tallow's sealed letter. The balding man reads it over, his mouth moving as he reads, "Ah, Mr. Tallow wishes you to have free reign in the town and you are to stay free at the Moth Aflame, that is the town's only inn." His beady eyes flash over each of you never quite meeting any of your gazes, "Welcome good sirs and um ladies, please enter and I'll show you the way. I am Pere Malvue," he grins and you note he is missing several teeth. As you ride through the gates your first sight is of an overgrown and quite full cemetery and the small rundown chapel beside it.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rex »

Bryne

Bryne nods to Pere and rides into town.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by spanningtree »

Thena

Rides in as well. I'm going to stop by the chapel, I'll make way to the inn afterwards....

Thena makes her way to the chapel, dismounts and enters.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by Darithe »

Mave

The Moth Aflame, Mave thinks the name of the inn apropos to their recent escapades. She gives a hesitant glance to the cemetery taking note of the many graves. She doubted Tallow was overly concerned about is employees save when it interfered in his business. She had seen the type many times in her travels. But now to the task at hand, she watches Thena slip into the chapel and looks to see if she can identify who the chapel is dedicated to.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by The Bindoner »

Wilwayaisawén

Wilwarin silently watches as Davion negotiates admittance. She notes that none of the Brindleseep people seem enthusiastic about their arrival. She allows herself a small smile at the thought that she at least has that in common with them.

The uncared for chapel with its crowded burial ground reinforces her poor impression of Brindleseep. No respect for the gods. Despite, or because of, the seemingly high toll death takes here?

Liviel, go with the others, I will wait for Thena.

She does not follow Thena into the chapel, but examines the graveyard, looking for the more recent graves.

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#11 Post by Revenant »

Pere Malvue.jpg
Pere Malvue.jpg (72.79 KiB) Viewed 514 times
Pere Malvue hesitantly follows Thena to the chapel though he does not himself enter. Thena notes the chapel is dedicated to the god Gond. A rough weatherbeaten wooden depiction of the red-haired god stands outside the door to the chapel and Thena also notes that the god's nose has rotted away and you can also see many cracks into the figure's wooden frame. Malvue says, "I must apologize, but the chapel receives little use. These are mostly hard godless men with little use for the gods and alas, I myself do not worship Gond so I avoid his house." He waits outside while Thena enters the chapel.

Liviel nods to Wilwarin's instructions, "Don't tarry too long Wilwarin. I look forward to continuing our conversations at the inn." She offers a small wan smile still pretty despite the scars on her face. She turns her horse northward as several of the guards start to lead those who wish to the Moth Aflame Inn. The paladin of Kelemvor, Morwen nods to Wilwarin indicating she will keep a watchful eye on her new friend.

Wilwarin takes the time to look over the cemetery all the while under the gaze of Pere Malvue. She notes there are many old graves, poorly attended to, and many many more fresh ones. Whatever the men have faced here, it has certainly taken its toll.

Inside the chapel, Thena finds only darkness so she is forced to provide the light. Dust covers most of the pews though at least one in the front has found someone using it as there is no dust on the seat. The altar is in the shape of a toothed cog beautifully carved though covered in dust. A small offering has been placed on the altar fairly recently. It is a small delicately carved wooden hammer that would easily fit in the palm of a man's hand. Otherwise the chapel is empty, no hymnals, no holy texts, no indication other than the one clean pew that any worship here.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rex »

Bryne

When she gets to the inn will find stabling for her horse and then a table large enough to hold everyone.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#13 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Torvik chuckles at Vari's statement "Yeah, at least this time we ain't fightin no bandits, yet." the ranger of the horn has no desire to visit the chapel and heads right towards the inn eager for some "real" food and maybe a stiff drink.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by spanningtree »

Thena

Reemerges from temple and joins Wilwarin. Nothing much, say we make our way to the inn?

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by The Bindoner »

spanningtree wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:50 am Thena

Reemerges from temple and joins Wilwarin. Nothing much, say we make our way to the inn?
Aye. The company of living will be refreshing.

Quietly, as they ride toward the Moth Aflame: There are more bodies in that ground than I am comfortable with, after our recent experience, and there does seem to be enough piety in this place to bring the chapel's protection upon it.

It is not wise to live without the favour of a god, especially in a place like this. If none honour Gond's chapel, I wonder where, and who, they do worship?

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by spanningtree »

The Bindoner wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:51 am
spanningtree wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:50 am Thena

Aye. The company of living will be refreshing.

Quietly, as they ride toward the Moth Aflame: There are more bodies in that ground than I am comfortable with, after our recent experience, and there does seem to be enough piety in this place to bring the chapel's protection upon it.

It is not wise to live without the favour of a god, especially in a place like this. If none honour Gond's chapel, I wonder where, and who, they do worship?
Rest assured, our task will cross paths with whom or whatever they worship. The promise of riches... perhaps power combined with the pummeling of force are at work here.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#17 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Torvik "All I know is I hope tha inn is warmer than our greetin' at tha gate." the dwarf says to anyone listening nearby.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Revenant
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by Revenant »

Moth Aflame pic.jpg
Moth Aflame pic.jpg (231.7 KiB) Viewed 477 times
Moth Aflame map.jpg
Moth Aflame map.jpg (50.3 KiB) Viewed 477 times
Wilwarin and Thena make their way to the Moth Aflame Inn and catch up with the others inside. The warmth of the inn's hearth is welcome after the walk through the chilly air that pervades the town. Your mounts are berthed free-of-charge at the stables next to the inn.

Though night is near fallen outside, inside the inn, things are relatively quiet. A plump matronly human woman who introduces herself as Madame Wrafton seats your large group at two tables next to one another against the wall on the far side from the hearth but between the roaring fire and the heat from the kitchen you can't really complain.

The inn is not overly crowded but the night is early yet. You note three dwarves, two males and a female seated just north of the hearth. A foursome of young men drinking while they wait on their order, seated at a table just south of the bar. Two of them are flirting with one of the serving girls who seems to appreciate the attention ignoring your table.

There is also a lone man with graying hair sitting by himself at a table just south of the hearth. He looks your group over for perhaps a bit too long, and quickly glances down at his menu when he sees you noting that glance.
Locke.jpg
Locke.jpg (33.32 KiB) Viewed 477 times

Pere Malvue pauses briefly at your tables to inform you, "Foreman Foulty, will be by to talk with you soon. Please order whatever you wish from the menu. It is on Mr. Tallow's tab. If there is anything else you need please don't hesitate to contact me. Just ask any of the guards and they will come fetch me." He then bows obsequiously and makes his way out.

After some time a different serving girl approaches your table. She small and thin with mousy brown hair and a large overbite, "What can I get ya fine people?"

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by spanningtree »

Thena

Three pitchers of good ale with a round of bread, cheese, and cold cuts for the table would be a great start... she looks to see if anyone thinks differently.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Rex »

Bryne

"That sounds fine, I prefer wine if you have some."

She settles in, trying to keep an eye on the stranger watching them discretely.

Return to “Nocturne (2e)”