Silk and Silver: The abandoned mine.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Silk and Silver: The abandoned mine.

#281 Post by Spearmint »

Mining the Crystal Caves.

Deciding that trying to provoke their beast of burden across the narrow bridge might actually prove more dangerous than leaving her behind, the group settle in the latter and Plantie drawing the short straw to look after her in the passages you have trekked.

You leave him with a lantern and enough few to cover several hours. He withdraws after you take off any mining gear you need, getting away from the chasm and ghostly sounds which echo from below.

Everyone else presses on, hurriedly crossing in single file and catching up with their guide Geojimali. A few hundred yards deeper, a few more tunnel entrances marked. You see past spelunkers have also scored their passing upon the rocks, an arrow sign pointing this way or that, a simple 'X', some marks larger like runes defaced, another an inscription dating from previous years. "Gaulo died here. 1020" a statement but no grave or marker substantiates that fact.

Water drips in some places, the drops plinking into stagnant pools that echo weirdly, past caverns twinkling with bioluminescence to a junction of many passages and rock formations that glint with a promise of future wealth. The gnome taps the veins, wiping his finger across the surface, "Iron pyrite, Fool's Gold." his finger covered in a rusty dye that in the poor light seems to run like blood upon his fingertips. The Svirfneblin licks his fingers clean and points onwards only to halt as the tap-tap of hammer upon stone is heard from the cavern depths.

Dancing lights, ethereal and almost twinkling with a fey ambience shine brightly at the edge of a passage. They remind you of small faerie lights which bobbing as if moved by a breeze though none exists in the chill passage. They recede down the passage once you take notice of them.

questions and actions please.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#282 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
Geojimali, could one of your clan be mining out this way? Or is it ghosts of whom you spoke earlier? (referring to the hammer upon stone noise that they hear)
How much further?

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#283 Post by Cwreando »

Drugo

"Can a ghost swing a pick to mine? What manner of creature is that? It seems more afraid of us than we of it. I wonder if that poor soul fell into the ravine and that's why there is know grave or he passed up here and was just tossed over as no one gave them a burial? Poor Gaulo died here. 1020. May St. Ygg give you peace."

Durgo checks his lantern for oil and if needed will get it going in hand with shield and Sword ready.

"We moving ahead", asks Durgo?
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#284 Post by Spearmint »

Certainly Geojimali does not know of any miners working these parts.

The 'tap-tap' echoes down one passage, into which the 'fey' lights recede. If you listen carefully you can hear a faint tantalising whisper, in Dwarven or Common or Gnomish that encourages you to follow. Meatloaf gives in, answering the call, believing perhaps some distant relative calls him forth. His mining comrades have to physically restrain him.

"Tis naught but imagination and damned Will O'Wisps." the Svirfneblin insists.

Meatloaf, Lemmy & Ozzie vs [1d20]=4 [1d20]=17 [1d20]=14 Geojimali [1d20]=14

actions, each make a Wisdom modified spell save please.

DrRenfield
Guide
Guide

#285 Post by DrRenfield »

Brother Symeon

Save + WIS [1d20+4]=11+4=15

Whatever their essence, I believe we would be wise to assume a sinister purpose.

If anyone breaks away physically to follow the voices, Symeon will cast the Command to "Halt" to assist in their restraint.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#286 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Spell save 17
[1d20]=16

“I…..well……they sure look pretty.”

I think Durgo failed. No wisdom bonus.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#287 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
save vs spells w/wis penalty [1d20-1]=5-1=4
It's an old code me cousins used to use when they found something good. I'm coming... Fydmar attempts to go find "his cousins"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#288 Post by Spearmint »

Fydmar, could you roll another save vs spells to Halt after the Command spell is used please.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#289 Post by scottjen »

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#290 Post by Spearmint »

Exploring the Crystal Caves.

Fydmar hears the 'call of nature', a resonance in his dwarven spirit to mine and excavate as his ancestors once did. Durgo is enticed by the lure of twinkling lights, the promise of shiny amethyst deposits and flowering quartz as rosy as a lover's bouquet.

They both stride down the passage much to the chagrin of the others, ignoring the invoked Command to halt and come to their senses.

The pair quicken their paces, following the bobbing wisps of light, running headlong excited as one might be filled with gold fever.
Brother Symeon, you gain a memory from a miner who followed a ghost that held misty ethereal lanterns', calling him to follow into a cave of crystals. The ground underneath him gave way, swallowing him slowly as one might sunk into a bog. The miner's last vision before submerging is seeing his companion ignore him in favour of excavating crystals.
The priest recalls a memory, gifted to him via a fish that nibbled upon lichens which feasted upon a dying man's last thoughts. Too late to shout a warning to them, it might be ignored anyway.

Fydmar and Durgo follow the dancing lights and the call of rhythmic tapping to enter into a wide cavern whose upper ledges and walls glint with deposits of twinkling crystals. The cavern light by a cloudy glow. The floor of the cavern is like sandy grain, very gritty and fine. Perhaps made of crystal deposits itself. In the middle of the cavern there looks to be the remnants of some old feature. An erected stone like a short menhir on a raised dias surrounded by ring of headstones. You approach the centre of the room in awe and wonder.

actions please make a [4d6] vs Dex check. succeed and you can halt in the centre on a portion of unstable rock, fail and you step up to your waist into a sandy sinkhole that is dragging you down.

Brother Symeon, unaffected by the alluring lights and noise, your immediate attention is caught by helping Meatloaf come to his senses and then you can follow more carefully in the footsteps of the two above.

so imagine you enter from the blue lit tunnel to the right and the central light is the radiance of a Will O' Wisp type body of etheral light.
Attachments
Ghost cave
Ghost cave
andrey-denisov-ghost-cave-01.jpg (124.91 KiB) Viewed 721 times

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#291 Post by scottjen »

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#292 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo Dex = 13 vs [4d6]=15

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#293 Post by Spearmint »

The two enticed run forward, eager to mine the 'sparklies' that line the cave ledges, ignorant of the treacherous nature of the Will o the Wisp and the cavern floor.

Fydmar vs 17 dex, falls to his knees, sifting through the sandy grains to eek out miniscule crystals, biting one or two gritty pieces between his teeth to check their authenticity. Durgo falls further, stepping onto a crust of hard crystal that suddenly gives way under his weight and he gets sucked down. Imagine being caught in the narrow gap in the middle of an hourglass. The sandy grains slip by him all around and with each grain passing, gravity and the pull of sinking takes effect. Scrambling knee deep then up to thighs and settling momentarily at waist level. You cast aside the firebrand you carry, calling Fydmar to reach out and help, throw a rope, throw a lifeline, but the dwarf's eyes glint with greed. Perhaps he considers your demise might increase his own share of trove.

The lights pulsate, leeching strength and health as it feasts upon your fear and impending doom. A couple of minutes behind, the footsteps of others are heard echoing in the passage.

actions please

DrRenfield
Guide
Guide

#294 Post by DrRenfield »

Brother Symeon

Symeon takes in the situation. Unsure if Durgo has the faculties to grab a thrown rope, he lashes his rope around his waist and hands off the end to the miners and Geomalji.

I will try to make it to Durgo before he is swallowed up. Once I have him, pull us out and I will go back for our Dwarf.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#295 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
Precious crystals. ( I assume I am under the spell and cannot act of my own accord)

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#296 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

We've hit the mother lode. I'm fine. Dig your own spot. St. Ygg will be proud. The lights....The lights...They call to me with gems aplenty.

I'm hoping I responded on point.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#297 Post by Spearmint »

Exploring the Crystal Caves.

Very keen to get his hands upon crystal riches, keener still to lay pickaxe upon rockface and crack open a precious geode, Fydmar ignores the initial plea of alarm from the sinking Durgo.

He runs stubby fingers through the glinting grains on the floor and looking up sees a trail of bobbing lights that lead his eyes in a certain direction as if highlighting specific ledges that promise a fine hoard. Your thoughts might be that the spirit of your ancestors are guiding you to mine over this way rather than that. It takes you away from the reach of Durgo, in fact turning your back upon his misery.

Fydmar dex check vs 17 [4d6]=13

The young warrior initially shouts his delight upon entering the cave, "We've hit the mother lode. I'm fine. Dig your own spot. St. Ygg will be proud. The lights....The lights...They call to me with gems aplenty." but after triggering a weak spot and sinking into the receding earth, he comes to senses regarding his danger. Your call of alarm and help are ignored though and you continue to struggle against the power of being dragged below. You ditch your backpack, the weight carried adding impetus to your slow descent. Using it as a float only puts increased pressure on the spot so you can toss it to the side this round, tossing your shield the next. You flail to keep abreast of the sandy sinkhole, using swimming type motions to keep head above danger, sinking now from waist deep to chest.

Brother Symeon and the miners with Geojimali enter and can immediately see the twin dangers. Actioning a rescue, you tie rope to secure yourself. Remembering that the Xvarts twisted the Cave Fisher filament into short sticky ropes, the miners unspool them and suggest these might snatch Durgo from death.

Meatloaf, Lemmy & Ozzie throw sticky rope at Durgo [1d20]=12 [1d20]=12 [1d20]=10

Each throws a length to try and snare him by an arm or wrap it around his torso but the range is just a yard or so too far, instead they latch on to the cast aside shield of O'Veargne. Trying to step closer and they risk falling prey themselves to the many unsure footings and sink themselves. Brother Symeon ditches his own shield and backpack and crawls in his belly across the ground to spread his weight.

Svirfneblin Geojimali curses the events and tries to bring the dwarf to senses. He swings out at one of the bobbing ghostly lights but the faerie lights dance away, turning from dazzling white to purple hues that begin to pulsate, illuminating the cavern in an eerie glow.

Geojimali attacks Will o'Wisp [1d20]=1

next actions Fydmar, continue to prioritise mining some crystals, add a Dex check to your post please.

Durgo snared by the sinking sand, you can only delay your fate unless rescued. Watching Brother Symeon crawl to you, you can see that even prone on the ground, he too will slowly submerge as the thin crust of crystals break or fracture under his weight. He might benefit more from crawling across some type of mat. Do the party have anything of that nature?
The miners have 30'ft lengths of sticky filament and I used your current Hide Armour AC8 minus a penalty to AC vs the attempt to hit you.

I am sure your AC on character sheet is incorrect as you ordered Chainmail from the Helix forge but it was not off the shelf and required crafting:

After finishing with the elf, he goes to the dwarves. Discussing armour upgrades and kitting himself out with a made to measure hauberk and coif of chainmail. The armour, AC5, is at a premium of -90gp modified book price +20% inflation.

The chainmail will take a couple of weeks to craft, so will not be finished much before the summer solstice festival on June 22nd. Collect it then, maybe a day before.
and this Silk & Silver expedition is dated starting as 14th June.
Brother Symeon you begin to crawl towards the sinking Durgo, award that the ground underneath is fragile and you may also become victim to triggering a sinkhole. You can chance advancing but I require a successful dex check to reach him. If not, you can be hauled out as the miners anchor you.

You get an uneasy feeling regarding the fey lights, recognising they have a vindictive and nefarious nature.

actions everyone please

DrRenfield
Guide
Guide

#298 Post by DrRenfield »

Brother Symeon

Symeon will attempt to crawl to Durgo, muttering scripture.

"They, and all that appertained to them, went down alive into the pit, and the earth closed upon them: and they perished from among the congregation."

[4d6]=9 vs 12 Dex

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#299 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo continues to try and not sink any further into the hole. "Help!"

He slows his breathing and inflates his chest as possible hope in adding circumference to his chest until he hopefully gets a line or hand to help him out.

I was going off AD&D 2e Studded leather or ring mail + shield, brigandine, scale mail, or hide armor 6 and shielf would be 5. I adjusted to AC8 hide now.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#300 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
I seem to have misplaced my hammer, and pick.... Ah. His mutters continue as he pulls out the axe to break the geodes free of the weak rock.
dex check [4d6]=14

Return to “Completed Expeditions”