Introductions (Day 1)

BackworldTraveller
Demilich
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Introductions (Day 1)

#81 Post by Demilich »

Yeelau sighs "Luck is just not giving me a break. Do you have an umbrella? Kishiran? That would make my day."

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Demilich wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:39 pm Yeelau sighs "Luck is just not giving me a break. Do you have an umbrella? Kishiran? That would make my day."
With an unexpected aplomb, Kishiran produces a large brolly from somewhere.

I have a spare, milady

he says, trying to keep a straight face. This is well above his usual standard of Stewarding!

I shall pull into the carpark opposite, Maam. Should I await you in the car, or accompany you on your staff hunt?

Demilich
Ranger
Ranger

#83 Post by Demilich »

Yeelau grinned broadly while taking the umbrella "Better to have you accompany me, having no idea what kind of potential crewmembers I'll be dealing with as we go."

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by The Bindoner »

After a few moments, her Private Secretary answers...

...And assures you that this is a serious accusation that needs to be dealt with quickly - Having her Son implicated with the Uzhia would make Deputy Chief Assistant Consul Gora look complicit and hypocritical!

Your mother uses the department media relations section, so you needn't worry about hiring anyone yourself.

When Rradzoka explains that isn't quite what he meant (and why he needs a hagiographer), the secretary says that he has some ideas and will enquire.

Rradzoka grumbles that he doesn’t want to have a big fuss of his mother protecting him, he just wants help clearing his own name. He still gives the Private Secretary Oelue Sadzdall’s name as the suspected libeller.

Receiving Denghez’ message Rradzoka grins: Someone to get our teeth into. Well, maybe not literally.

Tsek, take a look, see if you recognise either. Daehaggzoegr, do you have crew that could come and watch these watchers?

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The Bindoner wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:19 pm
After a few moments, her Private Secretary answers...

...And assures you that this is a serious accusation that needs to be dealt with quickly - Having her Son implicated with the Uzhia would make Deputy Chief Assistant Consul Gora look complicit and hypocritical!

Your mother uses the department media relations section, so you needn't worry about hiring anyone yourself.

When Rradzoka explains that isn't quite what he meant (and why he needs a hagiographer), the secretary says that he has some ideas and will enquire.

Rradzoka grumbles that he doesn’t want to have a big fuss of his mother protecting him, he just wants help clearing his own name. He still gives the Private Secretary Oelue Sadzdall’s name as the suspected libeller.

Receiving Denghez’ message Rradzoka grins: Someone to get our teeth into. Well, maybe not literally.

Tsek, take a look, see if you recognise either. Daehaggzoegr, do you have crew that could come and watch these watchers?
Daehaggzoegr growls and bares his teeth.

One or two. One or two.

He thinks for a moment

Do you want the Hammer of God to arrive or something subtle, Captain? It will be 30 mins or so - less if they don't have to suit up and bring the kitchen sink.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#86 Post by cybersavant »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:18 am
cybersavant wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:35 am
Adjacent to the "Todd Diplomatic Services" building, there is a small store that sells practical and stylish clothes at reasonable prices and made to various fashions. It is a veritable goldmine, and seems to have a tailor that also provided uniform to the various consular staffs in the area. It can provide wear for formal, informal or work situations, in space or on the planet.
Sazqelmiqariepr pauses briefly , contemplating abandoning the Vargr and entering the consulate - but he owes his freedom to them. Once the mission is over; once he's repaid his debt.

He enters the store and looks around. Once an employee approaches or is spotted he says, "I need a new set of clothes. As you can see - i had a rather unfortunate .... run-in. Something in the line of high end work clothes, not quite formal, but something befitting a ... starship officer. May i see your inventory that fits that? And what are your prices?"
Saz looks at the clothes available. They vary from middle-class to definitely classy; with price tags from Cr70 to Cr120 for the major items - Practical underwear is cheaper by a factor of 10, some formal garments stretch to 10 times those prices. They also have a bespoke service. Those items will be more expensive still...Dress for a state ball could reach 12,000 or so, but a formal, hand stitched, business suit would come in at Cr200+
price out an outfit that could function as either high end ship wear/ almost uniform to semi-formal
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by BackworldTraveller »

cybersavant wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:42 am
BackworldTraveller wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:18 am
cybersavant wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:35 am

Sazqelmiqariepr pauses briefly , contemplating abandoning the Vargr and entering the consulate - but he owes his freedom to them. Once the mission is over; once he's repaid his debt.

He enters the store and looks around. Once an employee approaches or is spotted he says, "I need a new set of clothes. As you can see - i had a rather unfortunate .... run-in. Something in the line of high end work clothes, not quite formal, but something befitting a ... starship officer. May i see your inventory that fits that? And what are your prices?"
Saz looks at the clothes available. They vary from middle-class to definitely classy; with price tags from Cr70 to Cr120 for the major items - Practical underwear is cheaper by a factor of 10, some formal garments stretch to 10 times those prices. They also have a bespoke service. Those items will be more expensive still...Dress for a state ball could reach 12,000 or so, but a formal, hand stitched, business suit would come in at Cr200+
price out an outfit that could function as either high end ship wear/ almost uniform to semi-formal
The shop manages to sell Saz two outfits. A uniform/semi-formal civil wear suitable for off-ship mingling and a sturdy work-wear overall set. He finds that Cr500 has gone from his budget, but at least he now owns enough underwear that he only has to do the laundry once a week. He also gets a pair of comfortable boots and a set of magnetic grapples taking a further Cr180 from his budget. The boots & grapples, it seems, are "Made in Khouth".

The shop also offers to embroider patches and name-tags for the ship, should you provide the appropriate designs.

As Saz is settling the tab, the store-keeper add: While you were changing sir, your wife came in and said you'd forgotten your communicator. He passes Saz a battered looking phone that he took from the sales-desk and continues wrapping and bagging Saz's unworn purchases and old clothes.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by The Bindoner »

One or two. One or two.

He thinks for a moment

Do you want the Hammer of God to arrive or something subtle, Captain? It will be 30 mins or so - less if they don't have to suit up and bring the kitchen sink.

Subtle. We don’t want to alarm the SURMAKU. Though, if we can provoke these guys into starting trouble on their territory, that’d smell tasty.

I’m thinking yours could infiltrate around the area, surround those two, and be ready to pounce.

I’d guess Tsek is their target, he’s the one with the scans they need. You and me, we’ll interest them, but probably they’ll just put someone on our scent.

I’ve got two ideas how to play this, when you’re ready. We leave together, get in hired cars, head off in different directions, then loop back. If those two stay, we confront them then. The cars should pull out anyone lurking, we might catch quite a haul.

The other idea is simpler. We just stroll across and buy them a drink, have a chat. Your people are nearby as back-up, or to grab ‘em if they run.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The Bindoner wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:33 pm

One or two. One or two.

He thinks for a moment

Subtle. We don’t want to alarm the SURMAKU. Though, if we can provoke these guys into starting trouble on their territory, that’d smell tasty.

I’m thinking yours could infiltrate around the area, surround those two, and be ready to pounce.

I’d guess Tsek is their target, he’s the one with the scans they need. You and me, we’ll interest them, but probably they’ll just put someone on our scent.

I’ve got two ideas how to play this, when you’re ready. We leave together, get in hired cars, head off in different directions, then loop back. If those two stay, we confront them then. The cars should pull out anyone lurking, we might catch quite a haul.

The other idea is simpler. We just stroll across and buy them a drink, have a chat. Your people are nearby as back-up, or to grab ‘em if they run.
Daehaggzoegr wags his tail enthusiastically - How many Vargr do you think I have, Captain?...My crew is currently small due to "Unfortunate Circumstances". I can gather three quickly - for more we must recruit.

He muses to himself for a moment

So of the two plans, I prefer the second. If they are organised they could catch some of us individually while we split up. Hammering would have been easier - but you are correct that we should not anger our hosts. Although someone on the balcony watching for trouble (should it come) might be handy

Tsek interjects How can I help?

Daehaggzoegr responds Have you ever shot anyone?

Tsek says he hasn't. Daehaggzoegr suggests that now may not be the best time to start. You are the piece that we must protect. If we lose you, we lose all.

What would your plan be Captain?...Clearly not to just walk up and say "Hello".

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by The Bindoner »

What would your plan be Captain?...Clearly not to just walk up and say "Hello".
Why not? They’ll either have to react, and prove they’re here for us, or play cool, and let us get alongside.

I think they are here to report, not fight, but I’ll risk it, I doubt they have more than handguns. Besides, if they attack, they are criminal, and we have the right to beat them.

If they run, we get a chase, and your people block them.

If we’re lucky, we can just sit and have a chat, see if we have interests in common.

To Tsek:

Call young Erogksu up, stand watch together. He can call hotel security, and I wager he can summon SURMAKU too, if we need it.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#91 Post by cybersavant »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:35 am As Saz is settling the tab, the store-keeper add: While you were changing sir, your wife came in and said you'd forgotten your communicator. He passes Saz a battered looking phone that he took from the sales-desk and continues wrapping and bagging Saz's unworn purchases and old clothes.
Sazqelmiqariepr stops and looks around. He takes the offered device. "I don't have a wife. What did she look like? And, is there another exit i could use?"

While the store-keeper answer, Sazqelmiqariepr attempts to turn the device on.
gaming since 1980

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by BackworldTraveller »

cybersavant wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:43 am
BackworldTraveller wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:35 am As Saz is settling the tab, the store-keeper add: While you were changing sir, your wife came in and said you'd forgotten your communicator. He passes Saz a battered looking phone that he took from the sales-desk and continues wrapping and bagging Saz's unworn purchases and old clothes.
Sazqelmiqariepr stops and looks around. He takes the offered device. "I don't have a wife. What did she look like? And, is there another exit i could use?"

While the store-keeper answer, Sazqelmiqariepr attempts to turn the device on.
The store-keeper looks confused. Wife sir? What wife? I'm sorry I haven't seen your wife. You were alone.

He continues wrapping We'd not normally allow customers behind the scenes sir. We prefer that the frantic paddling underneath, which maintains the air of perfect serenity above, go unnoticed.

As the device turns on, you note that there is just one number in "Contacts" - marked "Call When Free". You also note that the visual sensors seem to be painted over with nail-varnish or similar.

Demilich
Ranger
Ranger

#93 Post by Demilich »

Meanwhile Yeelau has parked outside a bar, opens the door, opens the umbrella and steps out of the car.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Demilich wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:57 am Meanwhile Yeelau has parked outside a bar, opens the door, opens the umbrella and steps out of the car.
Yeelau makes her way across the pavement and into the doorway - watching Kishiran park and cross the road to her - moving quickly and covering his head with his jacket. Yeelau seems to have his Umbrella.

The bar is large but almost empty. One patron, the bar keeper and a woman going round with a cloth and cleaning tables. The décor includes pictures of various ships and ports. There are images of crews in various poses showing off trophies of one sort or another. A board shows a list of ships at the city's port with their reported state - Arriving, Landed, Parked, Loading, etc. The Kfaerggzeghzratawuerz, the ship that you will be travelling on, is listed as "Parked" and has an "Rr" (presumably "Rrersinthou": "Recruiting") annotated against it.

The Bar Keeper, Cleaner and Patron all turn to look at the pair of you.

Demilich
Ranger
Ranger

#95 Post by Demilich »

Yeelau walks over to the one patron, once Kishirin joins her inside as she closes the umbrella " good day, Would you be interested in a job on a ship?" she asks, hoping she can recruit this one being, then find out when more may show up

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#96 Post by cybersavant »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:58 am The store-keeper looks confused. Wife sir? What wife? I'm sorry I haven't seen your wife. You were alone.
He continues wrapping We'd not normally allow customers behind the scenes sir. We prefer that the frantic paddling underneath, which maintains the air of perfect serenity above, go unnoticed.
Sazqelmiqariepr

"You said my wife dropped this off." He holds up the communicator. "I said i don't have a wife. What did the woman who dropped this off look like?"
metal probe as the storekeeper has this fresh thought in mind

"And since this clearly isn't from my wife, i believe i am being stalked or targeted. So i would prefer to leave your establishment unobserved."
mental nudge at the suggestion
gaming since 1980

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Demilich wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:54 am Yeelau walks over to the one patron, once Kishirin joins her inside as she closes the umbrella " good day, Would you be interested in a job on a ship?" she asks, hoping she can recruit this one being, then find out when more may show up
The Vargr chuckles at the Aslan's translator's output.
Well that has the virtue of being direct - but no. My Pups will miss me and my family would disown me and I'd have to be braver than I am. I've always liked that I can walk away from problems if I stay planet side. Besides, I'd miss this bar. But if you need supplies, perhaps I can help you.
In the mean time, the Bar Keeper has been talking with Kishirin and has produced drinks for the two of you.
I think that is the first Aslan I've had in this bar. he says in reasonable Anglic. Is she always like that?
Kishirin assures the Bar Keeper that she is.
Then she needs to take care - some Captains are touchy about people poaching their crew.
Now if she were to take a booth and I supply drinks, I could send those who might be looking to her table. But most will not take a job from an alien. They'll all talk to an unusual Alien though - so she'll be busy. Once they hear she's here, there will be lots of curious Vargr dropping by.

Demilich
Ranger
Ranger

#98 Post by Demilich »

Yeelau nods "Thank you for your time, it does seem like a nice bar." as she moves over to take a seat in a booth, awaiting Kishirin to rejoin her and tell her anything he found out

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by BackworldTraveller »

cybersavant wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:32 am
BackworldTraveller wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:58 am The store-keeper looks confused. Wife sir? What wife? I'm sorry I haven't seen your wife. You were alone.
Sazqelmiqariepr

"You said my wife dropped this off." He holds up the communicator. "I said i don't have a wife. What did the woman who dropped this off look like?"
metal probe as the storekeeper has this fresh thought in mind

"And since this clearly isn't from my wife, i believe i am being stalked or targeted. So i would prefer to leave your establishment unobserved."
mental nudge at the suggestion
The push to get the storekeeper to recall the "Wife" just confuses the storekeeper. He really has no recollection of anyone leaving you anything - or even of giving you the phone. That confusion does, however, allow your suggestion of an alternative exit to appear eminently reasonable. He completes the transaction and lets you out of the loading bay.

Despite the description of the back-rooms being a place of mess and industry, the rooms are neat and ordered and clearly used to being displayed to favoured clients - the corridor has windows into well lit sewing rooms and haberdasher's stores.

The back entrance opens onto a courtyard large enough for delivery vehicles to turn which is, in turn, served by a small street running parallel to the main road.

It is not busy. It starts to rain.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#100 Post by cybersavant »

Sazqelmiqariepr heads off down the side street away from the street the main entrance is on. He activates his own comm and sends a message to the others.

got new clothes. was followed. strange woman left comm for me to contact her. staff who dealt with her has n memory of doing do. will find public place to mingle and then will call her.

He walks for a couple blocks before returning to a main street and then he looks for a cafe or something where there's a fir number of people that he can sit amongst. He'll order a drink and then call the 'wife'.
gaming since 1980

Return to “How to find a Million (Mongoose Traveller, 1137)”