Chapter 1: Into the Wilderness

Marullus
sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 1: Into the Wilderness

#121 Post by sastaz »

Vakar, after having followed the separate dialogues with great interest, gets up and lights his hooded lantern again as they're abouth to leave camp.

He turns to the youngsters.

"Farewell for now my young friends. Don't be stupid now, use your mind. Better run to see another day, than to die courageously to no use. The world grows darker by the day, and your lives are needed. And by the love of Freyja, get yourselves some bows" he laughs.

Next, he turns to his own group.

"I have a bad feeling about this, and I don't need to listen to forest spirits or my ancestors for that. We're not alone here, and we should take precautions. Whoever put the arrows in that vargr is somewhere close. I say we stay close, really close, to each other at all times from now on. Well well, we still have a wolf to catch, I guess. Which way to you suggest?"

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#122 Post by Enoch »

Valdís stands up and brushes off her skirts and looks about doubtfully. "Is it wise to try and track down a wolf in the dark of night? That werevargr might not have been alone, and something put an arrow into its hide."

Despite her words, however, she resummons the green-flame light to her palm, whispers a quiet prayer in Kun, and begins circling the area, sweeping the sickly light over the flora. "I suppose it would want to be near water, and it will need something significant for a den. And of course if we can find any prey, a wolf is likely to not be far."

Guidance: [1d4]=1
Survival: [1d20+6]=8+6=14 [1d20+6]=8+6=14
Mystery roll: [1d20]=12
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by Marullus »

The newcomer's tale told, the groups coallesce around their respective intended directions. The stout lad's feelings of divine favor bolster the flagging morale of his companions. When Stigandr confirms and directs that the group follow the squirrel to pursue a wolf, a murmur of agreement goes through the young group. The others in your group encourage this with their own admonitions to the newcomers. Your group appears to be accepting Stig's choice to go the opposite direction, up over the cliff to the plateau, to backtrail the werewolf to where it came from and go the opposite direction of the youth.

Ralfwin completes the hour-long ceremony to consecrate the body, praying over its identity as he does so. Like the croaking whisper of Muninn in his ear, a name comes to the priest of Odin at the ceremony's completion.

"His name is Robart Paulsen" he says, giving a final gesture over the body before taking off his linen ephod and priestly garb.

A murmur goes through the local youth who warm themselves at the pyre, like liquid shock, horror, and fear pouring between them.
"Robart? Gods no... he was a friend of my brother," says the second girl, looking up where her stick scratches the dirt, eyes wide and voice hollow.
"Robart dissappeared almost four months ago, but... he looks freshly slain," adds the dark-haired bookish boy, skeptical worry in his tone.
The auburn haired girl cautiously takes a step backwards. "What... what's going on here?"

Unsungknot
Tracker
Tracker

#124 Post by Unsungknot »

Doshea Ulfgar: Running HP: 6

Doshea frowns at her group, confused by the whole exchange and as to why they didn't tell the pitiful pups the truth of the corpse on the pyre to begin with. She raises her hands for calm at the local youths before stating, "Friends, on my honor as an alle of Thor, you have no need to be afraid. The man on the pyre was a werevargr that attacked us, if we had not put him down he would've made a fine meal of us, perhaps just me if I am being truthful. Though, I did not know his name, perhaps our Gothi gave him a name in death so that he may not be forgotten?"

She motions to Stig, "Bring the head, perhaps they can identify the poor man."

To the youths she says, "Friends, do you know of another group from the village, perhaps one with an archer? I think my comrades are right, we are not alone in these woods. Someone hunted the beast before we happened upon him and had to put him down. You should most certainly stick close by each other, your strength comes from your comrades, those willing to travel and fight alongside you."

She looks at each member of her own group in turn, a broad smile on her face, "It is only with strong companions that you may be wrested from death's clutches so that you may continue to fight. With their aid you can put down foes far mightier than any you could fell on your own and perhaps forge your own path to your destiny."

Can I use my charisma to sort of put them at ease? Not quite persuasion but something similar?

Persuasion(ish) Roll: [1d20]=10+5=15

Mystery Roll: [1d20]=11 ; [1d20]=17

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Rex »

Skirfir

"Doshea speaks truth. The evil curse has been lifted now in death. But be weary for not all is as it may seem in this forest."

Mystery rolls [1d20]=10 [1d20]=18

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Stirling »

Ralfwin Edwinsen
"he looks freshly slain,"
Not sure how keen eyed any observer of the funeral pyre might be save for the fact the deceased is headless.

"He looks a bit crispy round the edges to me." he quips. He has done his duty as far as committing the soul to the afterlife and ensuring the beast will not regenerate.

He packs his stuff to follow our continued hunt, ignoring further enquiries from the dismissed youth group.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Spearmint »

Stigandr Yngvarsen

Throws the sacked up, decapitated head towards the young girl. "Catch. Look how he yet smiles. They say even in death the eyes still see and the mind remembers. Perhaps your pretty face will succour his soul in Hel." he teases the girl with some supposed Draugr lore.

Stigandr Yngvarsen: mystery roll [1d20]=10

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by sastaz »

Vakar frowns.

"Stigandr, come on, no need to tell stories of the restless dead to someone who has lost a friend. But. We speak the truth. He had the curse, and if we had not stopped him, fate would have the same in store for us. Now the curse is lifted and he may still feast in Valhalla. Go now, and the gods willing, we'll meet later.

Vakar joins Ralfwin to leave the group of youths behind.

Unsungknot
Tracker
Tracker

#129 Post by Unsungknot »

Doshea Ulfgar Running HP: 6

Doshea laughs at Ralfwin's comment before stating, "Extra crispy."

She looks at the youths and asks, "Before we part ways, are any of you adept at healing? I could use a little extra assistance before we hunt down our own wolf."

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#130 Post by Enoch »

Valdís throws her head back and laughs, almost in time with Doshea, but with far more cruelty.

"This Mithal, he attacked us, so we slew him, and took his head, and burnt his body.

"He was cursed. At least this one looked like a monster. Blood will tell, and there is one fewer Mithal walking these lands."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by Stirling »

Ralfwin Edwinsen

Picks up on Valdis insinuating that Mithal are still monsters in her view, though we may look less frightening than the fang toothed creature we slew.

I will go over to the thrown sack and with my sickle blade cut it open to reveal the decapitated head. "It is a large sack Stigandr, we have much room for more heads should you take another." he says aloud, but principally loud enough for Valdis to get his inference of her head being small enough to fit into the sack too.

I reach into the Werevargr's mouth and wrench out that newly regrown tooth and then give the sack with the grinning head back to the girl.

"Come Doshea kneel by the pyre.", he instructs the Alle of Thor and prays over her, invoking a healing blessing from Odin and braids the token canine into a strand of her hair.

"The beast took first blood from the group. Scarring you as he came through the woods. But you prevailed. Blood for blood, may this token you wear also grant you regeneration and health."

Ralfwin Edwinsen: Casts Cure Wounds [1d8+6]=7+6=13

Unsungknot
Tracker
Tracker

#132 Post by Unsungknot »

Doshea Ulfgar Fully healed! Thanks for keeping me alive guys :D

Doshea's fingers brush against the tooth in her hair, her first token from a fallen foe, and grins broadly. Standing, she nods to Ralfwin before giving him a strong, brief hug, "Thank you comrade, when we return to the village victorious, the first mead is on me."

Doshea looks to Valdis, "He was cursed, it was good we put him out of his misery. He wasn't always a monster. No one begins their journey in this world a monster." She nods at Valdis. "You are right, there is one less Mithal in these lands, and that is a sad thing, as any loss is sad." She pats Valdis on the shoulder. "It is okay friend, we will be reunited with those we have lost in death. For now we must look forward to our own paths and try to ensure the world does not make us monsters as well."

Grasping a stick from the pyre she lifts it high. "Let's go kill a wolf!"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Spearmint »

Stigandr Yngvarsen

Busying himself by peeing up a tree trunk.

"Never eat yellow snow!" he counsels the group, squeezing out a last dribble. He tidied himself up and grabs his gear.

"Behold, the gods have given us a sign. While they have words of a squirrel to follow look we have a golden arrow pointing the way!" he says.

He nods his head to Valdis, reaffirming his previous invitation for her to lead the way.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by Marullus »

Music and Ambiance: Blood on Wolf's Teeth

Adjudication (for all):
With the confusion by the other group (realizing they knew the deceased and not being told about him being a werewolf), Doshea tries to ease the situation while Stig and Ralfwin are intentionally worsening it. So, I'll set it as a Contest, winner determines the new disposition of the youth (and how they skew the town regarding you when you return there). Doshea Persuasion is 15. Using the mystery roll, Stig's Persuasion is 11. Doshea is able to mollify them and you part on equitable terms - the youth will not damage your reputation.

Valdis leads the tracking effort with Help from the others, and we use the rolls from her earlier post. That will succeed in backtrailing the werevargr.

Ralfwin gives a torch to the other group. He then lights a torch for himself. (-2 Torches)

Ralfwin completes the Ceremony spell as a ritual (70 min), conducting a funeral and consecrating the body so that it cannot convert to any form of undead.

Ralfwin expends his second 1st level cleric slot and heals Doshea back to full hit points. Also reflecting Ralfwin having 1 gjof point.

Doshea benefits from a short rest, but is healed by Ralfwin instead of spending her Hit Die.
I don't see any class abilities on anyone's sheet that refresh on a Short Rest - let me know if I'm wrong.

The newcomer's tale told, the groups coallesce around their respective intended directions. The stout lad's feelings of divine favor bolster the flagging morale of his companions. When Stigandr confirms and directs that the group follow the squirrel to pursue a wolf, a murmur of agreement goes through the young group. The others in your group encourage this with their own admonitions to the newcomers. Your group accepts Stig's choice to go the opposite direction, up over the cliff to the plateau, to backtrail the werewolf to where it came from and go the opposite direction of the youth.

Stig throws the sacked up, decapitated head towards the young girl, chiding with crude jest, and is in turn reprimanded by Vakar. The open bag thrust before her, the second girl looks upon the hammer-pulped cranium, brain matter, blood and ichor gelling together upon what remains of the nose and lower jaw. "Robart," she says the name of her brother's friend hoarsely in confirmation, then drops the sack and turns sideways to vomit violently upon the dried leaves.

Ralfwin steps to the dropped bag and, with his sickle, pries out a human tooth from the lower jaw within. He elicits a gasp of shock from the other youth. Horror is on the face of the dark-haired bookish boy, outrage on the face of the strong lad. The auburn haired girl asks, trembling, "A werevargr? Will... will we catch it?" Ralfwin ties the tooth into the hair of Doshea, dedicating the sacrifice to Odin, and the warrior's wounds begin to mend by the God's intervention. A harsh comment from Valdis about the good of dead Mithal draws a threat from Ralfwin towards her as well.

Doshea raises her hands for calm at the local youths before she steps in, her presence commanding as she addresses the situation. She has the youth positively identify the mangled head as Robart, then the auburn haired girl adds it reverently to the pyre, showing respect for the dead. Doshea's words bolster and comfort them, Skirfir's calming presence at her side aiding in descalating. The youth are calmed and mollified; having warmed themselves and taken their short rest in your company, they pay their final respects to the lost Robart Paulsen upon the pyre. They follow the strong lad as he encourages them forward, carrying pitch torches back along your previous trail, intending to follow the energetic squirrel to find wolves.

Ready to set forth as well, Stig rises and relieves himself, drawing a crude arrow with his urine to direct Valdis. "Behold, the gods have given us a sign. While they have words of a squirrel to follow look we have a golden arrow pointing the way!" Valdis resummons the green-flame light to her palm, whispers a quiet prayer in Kun, and begins circling the area, sweeping the sickly light over the flora. Leading up the incline to the top of the plateau, she picks up the blood trail of the werevargr, leading the group onward.

Ralfwin's torch gutters as the wind and snow blow more fiercely, the night continuing onward. The burning of the pyre is perhaps an hour behind you when Doshea motions for a halt - something is in the small clearing ahead of you revealed at the dim reaches of Vakar's lantern. "Bodies, still some warmth... perhaps four hours cold," observes Skirfir, peering into the darkness beyond the lantern's light. You peer ahead... humans. A wolf. The red-stained snow resisting the attempts of the blowing flakes to obscure it.

Actions?
Chap 1_scene2_01.JPG
Chap 1_scene2_01.JPG (51.53 KiB) Viewed 593 times

Lights: Vakar's hooded lantern (radius 30' bright, 30' more dim), lasting 3 more hours. Valdis holds her ghost-flame. (10', then 10' dim). Ralfwin lit another torch (radius 20' bright, 20' dim), lasting one hour, so it is burning out as the scene resumes. Light radii modified on map.
EnvironmentInitiative OrderEffects in Play
Time: 8:45pm
Date: The First Day of Winter (Nov. 1st)
Temperature is currently -1c; feels much colder with the high winds and snow.
Clouds are 100%, with evening wind and snowstorm.
(Out of Combat now) Night at 5:35pm (darkness)
Pre-dawn at 5:56am (dim light)
Almost Dawn at 6:51am (normal light)
Sunrise at 7:43am

> Enoch as Valdís | Female | Kuning | Seiꝺr (1) | HD (1d8): 1 | HP: 11/11 | AC: 15 | Current Speed: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Darkvision: No | Spells - 1st: 1/2 |
> Unsungknot as Doshea Ulfgar | Female | Mithal | Alle [Paladin] (1) | HD (1d10): 1 | HP: 11, 5, 0, 9, 2, 6 11/11 | AC: 17 | Current Speed: 30' | Initiative: +3 | Darkvision: No | [Inspiration]
> sastaz as Vakar the Disowned | Male | Vestri | Rogue (1) | HD (1d8): 1 | HP: 11/11 | AC: 13 | Current Speed: 30' | Initiative: +2 | Darkvision: No | [Inspiration]
> Spearmint as 'Stig' Stigandr | Male | Mithal | Barbarian (1) | HD (1d12): 1 | HP: 15/15 | AC: 18 | Current Speed: 30' | Initiative: +3 | Darkvision: No | [Inspiration]
> Rex as Skirfir Uvaldi | Female | Dvergr (Stoneborn)| Gothi (Smidr) (1) | HD (1d8): 1 | HP: 10/10 | AC: 18 | Current Speed: 25' | Initiative: +1 | Darkvision: Yes | Spells - 1st: 2/2 | [Inspiration]
> Stirling as Ralfwin Edwinsen | Male | Mithal | Gothi | HD (1d8): 1 | HP: 11/11 | AC: 16 | Current Speed: 20 | Initiative: +2 | Darkvision: No | Spells - (C) 1st: 0/2 (B) 1st: 1/1 | Gjof: 1 | [Inspiration]

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by Rex »

Skirfir

"Lets get another torch lit before that one goes out. And we should examine the bodies, someone should keep watch though for in case whatever did this is still out there."

Skirfir moves to the nearest body and starts to examine it.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by Spearmint »

Stigandr Yngvarsen

Aware of the last time we approached dead bodies, he does so on his guard.

"It looks like the fight has long finished." My feelings would be if this was a hunting group they will have attended to their wounded and skinned the wolf. There are no noises of ongoing battle. Possibly this is not the only scene, more bodies could be nearby if it was some pitched hunters vs wolves scenario but with the youths description of 'the antlered man and flock of dead ravens' being in the vicinity, Stigandr suspects something stranger than a hunt gone wrong.

Stigandr mystery roll [1d20]=6 Perception [1d20+3]=4+3=7

He takes his Battleaxe, taps it on his shield as if readying for battle. His mind thinks of 'draugrs'. Any dead ravens still perched upon nearby branches watching us?

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by Stirling »

Ralfwin Edwinsen

There looks to be one body still unbloodied. Maybe they are on the edge of life. I will check on that one, casting Spare the Dying cantrip if it is appropriate.

Check all the bodies in turn, looking at wounds, closing eyes and covering faces with their cloaks if actually dead.

Ralfwin: Perception check [1d20+4]=2+4=6 Mystery roll [1d20]=13

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by sastaz »

Vakar stays silent, but shares the suspicion of his comrades of there being signs of foul play. He masks his lantern and reduces the ray of light to a minimun, aimed at himself, then starts circling around the site, silently.

Stealth check: [1d20+6]=6+6=12

He observes, quietly, the surroundings while the others examine the bodies. Are we being watched? His paranoia creeping up on him. What was that?!

Perception check: [1d20+5]=9+5=14

Mystery roll: [1d20]=19, [1d20]=2
Last edited by sastaz on Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unsungknot
Tracker
Tracker

#139 Post by Unsungknot »

Doshea Ulfgar

"It seems we've a wolf hide," she frowns, "Though it seems a bit dishonest, since we did not fell the beast."

Doshea pulls her axe as well and follows Ralfwin, she squints at the darkness around them, trying to see anything past the light of their torches. Shrugging slightly she looks to the corpses, keeping a keen eye lest they also jump up like the last corpse she approached had.

"Perhaps this is another party from the village? Does anyone recognize their garb?"

Perception check: [1d20]=8

Mystery Roll: [1d20]=9
Holy shit these rolls are killing me.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#140 Post by Enoch »

Valdís shakes her head as she slowly makes her way toward the bodies and kneels before them. "The spirits would hardly favor us if we accomplished the task in deed but not in intent. I think we will have to find our own wolf."

Is it clear what killed them?
Investigation: [1d20+1]=12+1=13 [1d20+1]=13+1=14
Guidance: [1d4]=3
16 total.

Return to “Freya's Tears (5e)”