Chapter 4: Dark Side of the Moon

Marullus
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 4: Dark Side of the Moon

#301 Post by redwarrior »

hansel checks his and the downed guards armor for anything that looks like a grenade or other explosive.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#302 Post by Marullus »

Hansel finds nothing explosive-related – after all, since everyone is in the fragile bubble of a space station circling the planet in the dark, cold, vacuum of space, any capability to breach a wall and depressurize the facility is a major liability.

Emile considers the thick pressurized doors, considering what he learned as a Knight. He considers the intercom panel on the wall, the locks keyed to Hansel’s armor, and the immovability of blast doors…

Taavi and Shadrach?

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#303 Post by jemmus »

Taavi reports to the team, The surviving guard is thinking this: "I thought they were on our side. Director Karen said she talked to them and they were operators under Mission #6. Shit, they smashed all non-lethal bots?" Any thoughts on that? Mission #6?
Taavi has Psionic Effort 5. He's used Transmit Thought (Level 1) and Telekinesis (Level 1) today. Does he have enough Effort left to use Personal Apportation to teleport to the other side of the blast door? It may be a moot question, because for that he needs to have have either occupied the place before or can see with his unaided vision

Personal Apportation (Core). The teleporter can translocate to another location they have either occupied before or can see with their unaided vision. Locations are fixed in reference to the nearest major gravity well. Teleporting with Personal Apportation counts as a Main Action and requires that the psychic Commit Effort for the scene. The psychic can teleport up to 10 meters.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#304 Post by Marullus »

Correct - you could teleport through a window (unaided vision) but not a solid door. You can also teleport down to the B Deck Hub (a place you've been before).

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#305 Post by jemmus »

Taavi says to the group, I have the ability to teleport myself, but only to places I can see or have seen. If you can think of any use for that ability, please say. Otherwise, I have good ideas for what we do next.
Have we tried just opening the blast door?
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#306 Post by Marullus »

jemmus wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:52 pm Have we tried just opening the blast door?
...nope.

jemmus wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:59 pm Any thoughts on that? Mission #6?
"If you are in some guy's head, why don't you just him?" asks Oliver, curious.

...actions?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#307 Post by Marullus »

Ambiance: Bitter End
The guards are dead. The blast door is still before you. Time is ticking.
Hansel, studying the heads-up display that shows him all troop locations on this level and also knowing his reactivated suit can likely open the door, looks through the bodies for explosives. From the chatter on the radio he knows that even if his suit is countered, three of the guards are still breathing and so their suits haven't locked down yet.
Emile considers his training, and the emphasis on talking before killing, his eyes resting on the intercom next to the door.

Taavi picks up interesting thoughts as he reads the mind of the guard who is fleeing, asking his team for what they know about Mission #6. "If you are in some guy's head, why don't you just him?" asks Oliver, curious.

The group hangs outside the blast door, frozen for a minute of indecision. Above the tang of metallic blood, the group smells lemon air freshener.

The intercom crackles and you hear a voice, the voice of Karen. "Well, Marshalls... if you've finished your murder spree? I hope you can take a moment to calm yourselves down; that was quite unprovoked. I did leave my direct number, if you had a question?"

When you began.

Karen. (Since you met her 10 RL months ago...)

Actions?

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#308 Post by jemmus »

Good call, Oliver, Taavi says. He ignores Karen for the time being. He telepaths to the fleeing guard, "What is Mission 6? Explain in full and satisfactorily and I'll leave you with your own thoughts." He tries to just open the blast door normally.
PCs

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#309 Post by greyarea »

Emile sees if he can get anyone over the intercom.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#310 Post by Marullus »

greyarea wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:46 pm Emile sees if he can get anyone over the intercom.
Marullus wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:07 pm The intercom crackles and you hear a voice, the voice of Karen. "Well, Marshalls... if you've finished your murder spree? I hope you can take a moment to calm yourselves down; that was quite unprovoked. I did leave my direct number, if you had a question?"
Karen is currently talking to you through the intercom. What do you say?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#311 Post by Marullus »

OOC:
Per the core Telepathy ability: The guard gets a mental save against Taavi's questions each round he asks them and on a failure he can't help revealing things.
Guard mental save [1d20]=5
He fails this round.
Taavi focuses on the guard, still connected to his mind. The guard is currently in horror at the slaughter on Deck B, but Taavi pushes through with his question.
"What is Mission 6? Explain in full and satisfactorily and I'll leave you with your own thoughts."
Connected telepathically to the other Marshalls with his "switchboard", he pushes the response through for everyone to 'see.'

The guard's mind reels, flipping rapidly through a flight of thoughts and images, before repeating the phrase "mission 6" and settling on a single memory. Karen stands in the teleport room, the guard there, a second guard with them. One of the portals swirls, active. A middle-aged woman just below average height places her hand on the edge of the portal device. Each of you feels it like a punch in the gut as you recognize her...

Judge Lira Bunt.

In the memory, Lira smiles fondly at Karen, checking the settings on the sat phone in her hand, the one you remember her always carrying.

"Don't worry. You're ready for this," Karen says reassuringly. "The device will provide the connection when the executions are carried out. This is our last step... all we've waited for. The Exchange will help return order."

Lira inhales, mustering her confidence. "I will not fail," she says, then steps through the portal into the Kumhenka Halls of Justice.

Reeling, you think back over your own experiences with Lira. The Judge you followed, who you trusted, who made you Marshalls in the first place. You left her in Prudence to pass judgement in a murder trial, to bring civility to the outlands. The way her non-functional communicator pinged and turned on as she watched Sheriff Skender torn apart by the mob. The way she, like the citizens of the station, seamlessly shifted to the dialects and customs of people she talked to, like Zoé Sadoul, cursing at the Sheriff, or explaining local Croatian folklore. Like the diner knowing how to make perfect potato pancakes.

The intercom crackles and you hear a voice, the voice of Karen. "Well, Marshalls... if you've finished your murder spree? I hope you can take a moment to calm yourselves down; that was quite unprovoked. I did leave my direct number, if you had a question?"

Hansel watches the arrangement of security guards in his heads-up display, knowing he holds the code-keys to the blast door. Shadrach contemplates the dark rituals revealed by the spider-bots, the intent of the equipment behind this door revealed by Teyleyr Andras. Emile considers how to respond to Karen...

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#312 Post by Marullus »

*bump*

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#313 Post by greyarea »

Emile smiles, Our murder spree? We've lost a few friends ourselves, and if you hadn't holed me up like that, my friends wouldn't have had to sacrifice themselves in my defense.

As you noted, we are willing to fight if necessary. We currently want off this contraption and back to dirt-side. You can let us through--give us a red carpet, as it were-- or we can make our own way. What say you?

Emile Cha+Talk [2d6r2+2]=10+2=12

My apologies, I was really struggling with what Emile would say. He might have negotiating as a skill but that doesn't mean his player does! :)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#314 Post by Marullus »

Emile speaks to the intercom, the sealed blast door still before you. The blood and corpses around stand in contrast to the soft lighting, the lemon scent now discernable above the tang of blood.

"You can understand the difficulty in your return," Karen replies, "Our people are protected by the fact that Langtang station is currently unknown. Our people are threatened, however, by your willful, indiscriminate, and unconstrained violence. If we could secure your agreement to preserve our secrecy, your return to the surface would indeed lessen the relative threat to our population... you could continue your duties as Marshalls."

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#315 Post by jemmus »

Taavi is stunned. He thinks, "Judge Bunt...." "Lira...." He'd set out with her from Kumhenka with the goal of establishing the rule of law in the badlands. They'd discussed in detail the merits of establishing a central court versus being a circuit court traveling to the communities. And Taavi as role as State Attorney's as prosecutor or public defender, or both. All smoke. Deception. By an agent of Langtang. Looking back, their were clues that could have raised some doubts. Clues that he'd missed. But why had set them against the Sons of Vlodok? When the Langtang apparently has a connection to them? Portals to two of their lairs, no less.

Ms. Karen. We're willing to discuss with you. Negotiate. But we came here for information, and we don't have it yet. Firstly, Lira Bunt was sent to the surface to perform some mission for Langtang. What was it? And why?

Secondly, what is your connection to the Sons of Vlodok? And how does that association further your goals and plans for the surface?

Finally, how do your people adapt to a language and culture so quickly and perfectly?

He telepathically messages the Marshalls. "Who has the codes to the blast door? I think we should be prepared to open it, quickly."
PCs

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#316 Post by redwarrior »

Hansel thinks back I'm your huckleberry, and I don't trust this 'Karen' as far as I can throw her. She's done nothing to indicate fair dealing. She seems more like a few handlers I've had. I, for one, would chose violence while we have the option...

It's been a while, I'm assuming our psychic link works like a "party line."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#317 Post by Marullus »

redwarrior wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:20 am It's been a while, I'm assuming our psychic link works like a "party line."
Yep. I'm also being more lenient than before and having it be established among everyone for 1 effort instead of all his effort.
jemmus wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:30 am Firstly, Lira Bunt was sent to the surface to perform some mission for Langtang. What was it? And why?
"Lira was sent to re-establish the rule of law on the surface, which she is doing admirably. As to why, you do not understand the purpose of the Exchange of Light? Our ways, our faith, and our purpose have been dedicated to the Harmonious Way, which ensures law and fair dealing, the foundation of the Exchange for milennia, and the very foundation of commerce under the Mandate."
jemmus wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:30 amSecondly, what is your connection to the Sons of Vlodok? And how does that association further your goals and plans for the surface?
"Why would we have a connection to the Sons of Vlodok?" Karen asks with discernable confusion. "The werewolves are nothing but chaos; against all we stand for. The fact that they squat on one of the few portals we were able to reactivate is a constant irritation. Besides, if we were in league with them, why would Lira have sent you to eliminate them? A house divided against itself cannot stand."
jemmus wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:30 amFinally, how do your people adapt to a language and culture so quickly and perfectly?
"If we are to follow the harmoneous way, we seek in all ways to have complete understanding of the cultures we face. This has always been a source o the Exchange of Light's success. We have honed this talent over centuries, and it is an outcome of our faith."

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#318 Post by jemmus »

Taavi is far from convinced by Karen’s words. He believes there are a number of holes in her story. But rather than arguing with her and possibly tipping the group’s hand, he simply says, I see. We’re also on a mission to re-establish rule of law on the surface. And it’s time we return there to do so. So, we will return via the portal by which we came.

But first, two questions. The Sons of Vlodok are squatting on a portal. Do you have other portals on the surface? Do the Sons of Vlodok squat on those too? And… what is Mission 6?
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#319 Post by Marullus »

Karen continues to answer questions through the intercom, slow and thoughtful in her responses.

Do you have other portals on the surface?
"Portals were quite common on the surface. They are only "ours" by virtue of the fact that we are the primary reminants of pure Mandate authority, culture, and skill, and thus have the technology to find and reactivate them. I'm sure you noticed the six portals in our station's transport room, and each of them maintains an active connection. Telling you all of them would, of course, require your commitments."
Do the Sons of Vlodok squat on those too?
"Hopefully they will occupy none of them, as that is the task you are to achieve as Marshalls, yes? If you discover evidence of more pockets of them, it would be your duty to pursue them."
And… what is Mission 6?
Karen pauses a moment. "...you are. I thought that was clear? Lira Bunt is the sixth mission and you are her Marshalls."

The lemon scent now cloyingly masks the odor of blood and death in the hallway completely, its scent unmissable as it continues to grow. Emile startles, realizing this smell was the last thing he remembered before waking up in the cells...

Actions?

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#320 Post by greyarea »

They’re keeping us here to poison us with some sort of gas! yells Emile as he grabs his bandana to try to cover his mouth. We have to get right quick!

Return to “Dust to Dust (SWN)”