Character Generation and House Rules

Recklessfireball
Ranger
Ranger

Character Generation and House Rules

#1 Post by Recklessfireball »

Why we play: I thought I'd add this bit, just so I can make sure we're all on the same page. Why do play these sorts of games? The answer is simple: To have fun. This being the case, I have a few simple rules for anyone playing in my game-

1) Since this is supposed to be fun, there's no reason you should be bored. If you're bored, PM me and tell me why. I'll try and kick things up a notch and throw something your characters way to get you pumped about the game.

2) Since this is supposed to be fun, there's no reason you should be angry or frustrated. If you're angry or frustrated, PM me and tell me why. If the problem is another player, don't confront them on your own, come to me first so I can act as a mediator to work things out in a civilized manner. Since we're all here to have fun, this should never be a problem. Still- just saying. ;)

3) I will always try to accommodate my players to insure that they have the most fun possible, provided that this does not ruin anyone elses fun. However, it's also important to me, that I have fun. As GM and moderator of the forum, I reserve the right to make changes in the game that are affecting my own ability to have fun. However, you have my promise that I will always attempt to do this without ruining your fun.

4) Though I will try my best to make sure that everyone is having fun during the course of the campaign, that fact is, I may not be able to satisfy some of you. In that event, I would like to respectfully ask you to withdraw from the game. If you are not able to enjoy the game, you will probably eventually ruin someone elses enjoyment of it.

Maps and Images: I intend to use maps and images fairly liberally throughout the campaign. I feel that they can add a lot to a game run in this sort of a venue. Some of them will be hand drawn maps and images, which I've scanned and loaded myself. Many will be various images that I've snagged during google image searches.

If I use another artists map or image, it is only for the purpose of running this game, not for profit. No challenge to the artists ownership of these images is intended or implied. The only one who will see them are the handful of people who play in my game. If the owners of these images have any objection to me using them in my game, please let me know immediately and I will remove them.

House Rules: I'll be using everything from Alpha Dawn Digitally Remastered http://starfrontiersman.com/downloads/remastered, including the following optional rules: Monoblades (pg. 143), Defensive armor (pg. 144) and Mentalist PSA (pg. 145)

Character Generation: Just follow the instructions and examples given on pages 28 to 31of Alpha Dawn. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me for help.

Races: I've carefully reviewed all the races, and here is what I'm prepared to allow at the present time-

Alpha Dawn: All four core races- Human, Dralasite, Vrusk, and Yazirian.
Zebulons Guide to the Frontier: Humma, Ifshnit, and Osakar. I feel the Mechanon are overpowered and therefore choose not to allow them.
Dragon Magazine #96: S'sessu
Dragon Magazine # 103: Saurians
Starfrontiersman #1: Nagana
Starfrontiersman #6: Sentient Robot (please note that all robot characters will be considered property of Pan-Galactic Corporation. You must be prepared to accept the in-game consequences of this.) and Arborean
Starfrontiersman #8: Eorna
Starfrontiersman #9: Scree

Equipment/Gear: Anything from Alpha Dawn Digitally Remastered can be chosen, provided you have the credits to pay for it. Other stuff- whether from Zebulons or an issue of Starfrontiersman- I will deal with on a case by case basis. Just let me know what you're wanting to get your grubby paws on (and the source), and I'll review it and let you know if it's available for purchase.

Dice Rolling Protocols: Here's the low down on how I intend to handle dice rolling in regard to both you- the players- and myself...

I will always tag and post any combat rolls, and almost all other rolls, that could affect your character. Likewise, I expect the players to tag/link all die rolls made in game. There are a few exceptions to this rule, however:

1) I'll sometimes roll for wandering monsters and other random encounters (freak weather, equipment breakdowns, etc.). These things will all be rolled behind the screen, so to speak. I'll be chucking real dice, on my coffee table at home, then posting the results. That way you aren't tipped off that something is about to happen. This is the only real way to maintain excitement and suspense.

2) Likewise, I will sometimes make rolls for your character, when allowing you to make the roll yourself could prematurely tip you off to an in-game event, or in cases where you wouldn't immediately know if you succeeded or failed. Here are a few examples:

Intuition rolls to notice a hidden object or detect an ambush.
Stamina rolls to resist disease after exposure, as a character may not realize they've been exposed to infection, until well after the physical symptoms begin to manifest.
Demolition skill when setting a charge (you won't know if it's successful, until it's time for the charge to go off).
Stealth and Concealment rolls (you will always think you are being stealthy, unless you make an incredibly cludgy roll- in which case you would be aware you had compromised yourself.
Environmental analysis, Medical diagnosis and Communication (you may draw a wrong conclusion, without realizing it.)
Find Directions (You feel confident you are heading due north, when actually you are veering east/northeast).

Initiative and Combat: When combat ensues, any person in your group can roll for initiative (you can designate one person to do so, if you like). That person rolls for initiative, then adds the highest IM in the group to the result. That will determine initiative for the entire group for that round.

I will wait until everyone in the group has posted their actions for the round, before I post the results. If more than 24 hours passes and some of the party has still not posted their action, I will post an action for you, in order to keep the game moving forward. You may PM me a list of default actions, if you wish, for those times you won't be able to post.

Multiple attacks: Many ranged weapons are capable of multiple attacks, allowing up to two or three attacks in a round. When you take your turn, go ahead and roll for every attack you are making that round- don't do them one at a time. Also, post damage rolls with the attack rolls. If some of your attacks miss, they may not all apply, but it saves time that way. Consider making one Mega-Macro, such as this macro for firing a gyro-jet pistol three times in a round- [1d100] [1d100] [1d100] [2d10] [2d10] [2d10]

Which might give you a result like this: [1d100] = 73 [1d100] = 68 [1d100] = 86 [2d10] = 6 [2d10] = 11 [2d10] = 11

Recklessfireball
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Character Generation and House Rules

#2 Post by Recklessfireball »

Using Telepathy to discern hostile mental influence on others: There may be times you suspect a team mate has come under telepathic influence of a hostile psionic or alien life form. If this occurs, anyone with the Telepathy sub-skill can attempt to discern whether or not this is the case. The formula for doing so, is the same as the Read Thoughts ability: 80% + skill level – target’s LOG

Edit: LOG is the LOG of the person or entity doing the controlling- not of the person being controlled. You must have spent at least a week with the person being scanned to use the ability. If you've spent more than a month spending time with the individual you get a +25% chance to succeed. If you are close friends with the individual, you get a +50% chance to succeed.

Return to “Recklessfireball's Star Frontiers Campaign”