New Character Discussion

Marullus
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

New Character Discussion

#1 Post by Marullus »

Discuss your concepts here. Riff off each other, make a good party. :)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: New Character Discussion

#2 Post by Spearmint »

Stigandr

I am going to keep my character simple and just play a straightforward Barbarian and choose his specific archetype once we hit that advanced level.

He won't be the brains of the group so I will leave you others to interpret runes and rituals, just give me something to hit.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by Enoch »

I'm intrigued by the Seidr, so I think I'll probably go that way. Probably a local boy, either a Kuning or possibly a Mithal taken in by enemies.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Stirling »

I looked at the new archetypes and Svilland classes. Aside from being a seafaring Vikingr raider and wanting to be immersed in the thematics, I think what appeals most is a Gothi (cleric) of Odin with a leaning towards War or Sacrifice domains, probably the latter.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rex »

I am not sure yet, but will cover whatever we need. Might go with a half-jotun just to be different.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:40 pm We have confirmation from Enoch, Rex, Spearmint, Stirling, Darithe, and a new player.

That's a six person cap... I'm inclined to try to hold to that.
Sastaz and Scott308 have access to the forum and are back-ups. If someone else declines, you're welcome to join in, or we may yet fit you based on the way this evolves.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by Darithe »

I'm still thinking over my charcter...possibly a shieldmaiden or Gothi of Kaldr domain.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Marullus »

Question: what opinions do you have on starting at 1st level or starting at 4th level? Either way, this module is written for fast advancement compared to others, which I think is good (I always try to advance faster for forum play)... it is written ultimately to go from 1-20. Even fast advancement is slow on PbP, and with my expected slower post rate we could still be many RL months at the initial levels.

* The Level 1-3 gameplay is the first arc, and consists of some fun and immersive play in our starting region. It would help us to get a feel for the setting and gameplay with a more evolutionary, immersed approach to your characters.

* I want to playtest the material and specifically would like to see how play works at the 4-6 level range. If we start there, we can do that immediately, but at the cost of glossing over the initial story elements. You start with your sub-classes already chosen in your concept and be responsible for developing your own depth and immersion based on the additional "what you know (and have done) so far" material I would provide.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Marullus »

Darithe wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:47 pm I'm still thinking over my charcter...possibly a shieldmaiden or Gothi of Kaldr domain.
The Kaldr domain will specifically be challenging to do - it isn't just cold, but the Cold of Hel. This adventure is specifically about fighting back against Hel's encroachment into the world, fighting for life over death, and includes a Hel Points corruption mechanic. Any option directly in service to Hel will need a good story as to how they're on the opposite side of the fight.

A Gothi of the Run domain can use the Isa Rune for cold effects that aren't hel-ish.

The Skadi subclass for Rangers is specifically cold- and snow-themed.

An Isa-Touched Sorcerer can also be ice-themed without being Hel-themed.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Spearmint »

On a personal side, I prefer to start as 1st level. This also means we grow in playing the game from a base level, by that I mean as you advance you gain skills or extra spells, reactions.

At this level combat is more simple, I hit, you hit but by 4th you can have the 'you hit but my instinctive reaction stops that action causing you to save instead and him to get an opportunity'

I think too I prefer to choose my archetype heroic path as the adventure unfolds so that actually my choice is shaped by actions and encounters rather than a preference from reading the player's guide.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Rex »

I am fine starting at whatever level, but SM has some good points for starting at first.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by sastaz »

I too concur with SM, but as Rex says no dealbreaker.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Enoch »

I'm fine with starting wherever, but I am concerned that advancement may be slow even with frequent posting- it just takes a long time to get anything done in PbP. But I'm OK starting at 1st if that's the consensus.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Marullus »

Let's go with 1st level and let you grow into the setting. I will still expedite the leveling where possible, and you'll be using Milestone Levelling together.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by Darithe »

Since I wasn't aware the module's plot please scratch the Gothi from my ideas. I'm thinking either a shieldmaiden or a skaldi. I will decide by tomorrow.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Marullus »

No worries. That's why I brought it up! :)

I think both of those options are great.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Rex »

I have read through the races and classes but am thinking it over. I will most likely wait until some others have decided before I pick something. One question though, what god or gods do the dwarves follow?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Marullus »

...I just finished a long post and the site burped and lost it. :(

I don't see any indication that the dvergr venerate Odin and the beings of Asgard as gods. Humans do so here in our plane, Midgard, because both Midgard and humans were directly created by the gods of Asgard. Conversely, the dvergr are from the realm of Svartalfheim, not Midgard, and are a form of divine being themselves. They were not created by Odin and the gods, but came into being from the body of the first slain giant, whose body also was the raw material for the gods world-building. The dwarves are the universe's great craftsmen and have powers that the warlike aesir gods of Asgard cannot replicate themselves - the role of the dwarves throughout the myths is that they create pretty much all of the magic items that the gods use to give themselves powers. I see the relationship between Asgard's gods and the jotuns of Jodinheim and the Dvergr of Svartalfheim as being near-peers, vassal states who acknowledge a king because they lost the war.

I think the dvergr might venerate the things older than Odin and the aesir of Asgard - Yggdrasil the world tree and the beings within it, the underlying powers of the universe itself (which Odin gave his eye to learn and codify as Runes), or perhaps the power of earth and craftsmanship which relate to the body of the first giant Ymir, from which both the worlds and the dwarves were formed.

In this particular setting, the dwarves are trapped here, in Midgard, and unable to return to their own realm until the Asgard god Balder is released from his torture and suffering in Hel. It is reasonable for them to 'go native' and begin appealing to or venerating the Asgardian gods. After all, they're in charge here and you're stuck here.

I would be particularly interested in a Dvergr Gothi of the Smidr (Smith) domain (dwaven veneration of smithing itself), Mein (Agony) domain (specifically focused on the struggle of Balder in Helheim), the Run domain (to venerate the Runes themselves and understand the power underlying them rather than Odin the intermediary)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rex »

I am leaning towards a Dwarf. I like the rune and smith options and also a fighter, picking up runes at 3rd level. I will wait and see what others make and how I roll.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by sastaz »

Spearmint wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:32 am Stigandr

I am going to keep my character simple and just play a straightforward Barbarian and choose his specific archetype once we hit that advanced level.
Actually, by "choosing archetype" at advanced level, do you mean roleplaying-wise or is there a 5e mechanic for choosing archetypes later on?

Edit: ok archetype seems to be some 5e mechanic for choosing sort of specialization for a class. Alright, need to read up on that.

Return to “Freya's Tears (5e)”