Marullus
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: New Character Discussion

#21 Post by Rex »

sastaz wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:00 am
Spearmint wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:32 am Stigandr

I am going to keep my character simple and just play a straightforward Barbarian and choose his specific archetype once we hit that advanced level.
Actually, by "choosing archetype" at advanced level, do you mean roleplaying-wise or is there a 5e mechanic for choosing archetypes later on?

Edit: ok archetype seems to be some 5e mechanic for choosing sort of specialization for a class. Alright, need to read up on that.
Some classes add an Archtype at a later level, usually third.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Marullus »

Yes, that's the crux of my question about starting at 1st or 4th level. In 5e, it means a 'starting ' character or a full character. At our PbP pace, games often end before 3rd level.

You would begin as a fighter and at 3rd level get abilities as a Shieldmaiden. Spearmint would start as a Barbarian and at 3rd level get bear-themed Berzkr abilities. Gothi choose their gods at 1st level, but an Alle (paladin manifestation of a god) doesn't lock in his god-choice until 3rd level.

In practice, I encourage you to play toward your goal. Your character is an aspiring shieldmaiden, proving she is shieldmaiden enough. Spearmint's character is roleplayed as bear-themed even before the spirits teach their secrets. An Alle is dedicated to a God, but if he has a crisis of faith he isn't penalized for a switch in his early days.

The concepts are all valid even if the powers Phase in - you don't have to be 'generic fighter' when 'aspiring shieldmaiden' is more flavorful. The 'play to decide' theory of 1st level ends up giving choices like 'I aspired to be a shieldmaiden but am fascinated IC by these runes and decided to employ them in battle instead.'

If we want to actually playtest the subclass archetypes, then we choose to start at 4th.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Stirling »

What options to dual class? So by time we have earned enough XP to make it to 3rd level, we might via roleplay and the adventure actually have followed a different path. The barbarian becomes more Druidical, my Gothi priest of Odin takes paladin vows, the paladin loses faith and goes rogue?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Marullus »

No problem with multiclassing as you advance (that's a real strength of 5E over OSR, IMHO, as complex stories are often not linear).

If starting at 4th, multiclassing for story is fine, too... you can have two classes at 2nd level for a blended concept or one 3rd level (with subclass) and a 1st level dip to an alternative. The main trade-off is that a 4th level multiclass character gives up an ASI/Feat by doing so (which is different story flavor options).

The 4th level multiclass gives really broad story complexity - the Gothi of Hel who has reformed to an Alle of Tyr/Judgement and struggles with complex morality. The rune-touched at birth Sorcerer who fights their fate by trying to walk a different road. The Cleric of Odin who embraces the Wise Trickery of his God and moves as a tale telling Bard in the lands. The Gothi of Loki/Trickery who has stolen knowledge of rune magic. Some of these are more viable as a starting concept and would be difficult to evolve into as such.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#25 Post by Enoch »

sastaz wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:00 am
Spearmint wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:32 am Stigandr

I am going to keep my character simple and just play a straightforward Barbarian and choose his specific archetype once we hit that advanced level.
Actually, by "choosing archetype" at advanced level, do you mean roleplaying-wise or is there a 5e mechanic for choosing archetypes later on?

Edit: ok archetype seems to be some 5e mechanic for choosing sort of specialization for a class. Alright, need to read up on that.
Yeah, each class has subclasses (specializations) that usually (but not always) get chosen after character creation, often at level 3. A few classes (including the Seidr) require you to make that decision at 1st level, but most let you/make you put it off until later. Barbarian is one of the classes that selects a subclass at 3rd level.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by Enoch »

My intent is to make a Seidr, which fills a similar role to a druid (minus the shapechanging). Given that spellcasting is really their only ability from 1st-5th level, I'm planning on going Chanter of Kin (which improves spellcasting), as I doubt we'll see 6th level (where they gain the ability to walk in the Dream Realm).

I'm looking at Guidance and Produce Flame as cantrips (Guidance is very in-theme for a Seidr; I mention it because we probably don't need any clerics/Gothi to take it as well).

I'm assuming that our Barbarian or someone else will be picking up Survival and/or other outdoor-type abilities? I suspect those will be important in this campaign. I've got my character mostly finished except for skill proficiencies/background, as I'll base those on what the party needs. I'll have Insight, and probably Persuasion, Perception, and History, but I can change that up a bit if necessary. I'll also get 2 more skills from my Background, and most of my likely Backgrounds will overlap enough I can probably choose whatever I like. I'm leaning toward Folk Hero (Animal Handling, Survival, place to hide or rest among the Kuning), Hermit (Medicine, Religion, some sort of Discovery), or Inheritor (Survival and a free pick, Inheritance that would be similar to Discovery).
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#27 Post by Darithe »

I've decided I will be playing a Mithal ranger named Tove. Details coming later.

Unsungknot
Tracker
Tracker

#28 Post by Unsungknot »

I’m with SM and Rex on the starting at 1St level, I like to grow my character through the levels and it will help with playing as a group before the characters start getting fancy 😏 I have to take a look at the character options, but will do that tonight or tomorrow and have a character picked out by Sunday, even if she won’t be fully formed and fleshed out With all her stats.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Rex »

Welcome Aboard Unsungknot!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Marullus »

So far, we're looking at this forming up to be a warband...
  • Stigandr - Folk Hero Mithal Barbarian (Berzkr) - Spearmint
  • Hermit or Folk Hero Kunig Seidr (Chanter of Kin) - Enoch
  • Tove - [Background] Mithal Ranger (Skaldi) - Darithe
  • Ralfwin - [Background] Mithal Gothi of Odin/Sacrifice - Sterling
  • [Background] Dvergr Gothi of the Smith- Rex
  • Thrall (human) Rogue - Sastaz
  • ? - Unsungknot

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Rex »

I am most likely going to go fighter. When they get to 3rd level would champion be an archtype option?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Marullus »

Yes, the PHB options are all fine.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Rex »

Thanks.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by sastaz »

I checked some rogue archetypes today at my local game store, and there are a few that I think would suit me and the setting, depending on where his character arc takes him :twisted:

Unsungknot
Tracker
Tracker

#35 Post by Unsungknot »

So I am thinking a Mithal Alle, either Odin or Thor path. I was originally thinking Tyr but it looks too “letter of the law” for me. I prefer the what is right isn’t necessarily lawful mentality 😏

Unsungknot
Tracker
Tracker

#36 Post by Unsungknot »

Since the Alle are like Paladins their spell slots would work the same right?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Marullus »

Yes, you use the whole Paladin base class from the Players Handbook. At Level 3, you swear your full binding vow to your God of choice and get their sub-class.

The tenets of Thor look a lot more fun to me. ;) With Odin. Though, you should compare notes with Stirling.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Rex »

I am working on a Female Dvergr Gothi.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#39 Post by Darithe »

Tove will be taking the Outlander background. I'm still working on her details though. I'm not very experienced with fifth edition.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Marullus »

If you need help, let us know. 😀

Return to “Freya's Tears (5e)”