Water Day, Disorder Week, Sea Season, 1616

BackworldTraveller
BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Water Day, Disorder Week, Sea Season, 1616

#41 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The River is The River. The Moon is the Moon. If one stands on the bank, one may see the moon in the river. Perhaps they are not so separate?

He indicates towards the sable, grazing, oblivious to the exchange.

The Sables do not like to be opposed. This competition can only cause strife on the plains. Open challenge begets strong responses. Do we choose sides or just watch? The High Llamas have chosen and will suffer as a result. We hear that the River Folk are being driven as beaters for a great hunt. Are you not concerned for your own people?

He muses to himself

Perhaps we should cut the hunt short and claim the Sable for our own people?

No, that is too big a decision to be made outside our council.

His two companions look relieved at that final statement.

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#42 Post by kwll »

Jargian looks intently at the Impala warriors, especially the one who spoke. "If you are not going to help, can you grant us free passage at least?" he asks, trying to determine what are their real intent.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by BackworldTraveller »

kwll wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:00 pm Jargian looks intently at the Impala warriors, especially the one who spoke. "If you are not going to help, can you grant us free passage at least?" he asks, trying to determine what are their real intent.
The plains are free to all the tribes. He nods to the two riders.

Others are here on sufferance.

Androrkar moves forward

These two touch the Gods and you speak of sufferance! They challenge the Moon and you talk like whipped dogs!

Don't talk of "The Plains are Free" knowing that they will be full of those who will remove that freedom while you do nothing.

The plains are free only while those who live there make sure that Chaos is swept from them and that our place is clear of interlopers.

We have accepted to help these two as if they were our own clan. To back The River against the Moon.

Do you do so too, or will you sit and do nothing and aid the Red Moon tie us further?

There is a bit of an awkward silence as Androrkar reaches the end of his tirade.

Jargian notes that both the Llama riders are now flanking him while Eda is slightly behind and fingering her weapons nervously - ready to use them if this doesn't go well. Arniz is out of sight, somewhere in the long grass.

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#44 Post by kwll »

The conversation is edging towards conflict. However, Jargian decides to push it forward anyway. His eyes still locked with the ones of the impala riders, he adds: "So will your tribe decide to help the free people? Or are you decided to bend the knee in front of the Red Moon?"

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by BackworldTraveller »

kwll wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:33 am The conversation is edging towards conflict. However, Jargian decides to push it forward anyway. His eyes still locked with the ones of the impala riders, he adds: "So will your tribe decide to help the free people? Or are you decided to bend the knee in front of the Red Moon?"
A voice sounds from behind the party.

I am Alameda, Storm Khan. I will never bend to the Red Moon.

A quick look over his shoulder reveals to Jargian a small but powerful man, riding a magnificent Antelope walking his animal to the crest of the hill.

I will not let down my Little Brother.

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#46 Post by kwll »

"I hear you, Alameda Storm Kahn. Will you help us keep the sacred sable safe from the Red Moon champions?" answer Jargian, looking up at the newcomer.
Last edited by kwll on Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by BackworldTraveller »

kwll wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:07 pm "I hear you, Alameda Storm Kahn. Will you help us keep he sacred sable safe from the Red Moon champions?" answer Jargian, looking up at the newcomer.
I will

He looks up at the trio on the ridge, faces to the left and calls out

And who will follow me in this sacred duty?

There is the sound of shuffling from beyond the ridge and 8 diminutive riders astride antelope come up to the skyline - each carrying a deadly looking bow and prepared for battle.

Alameda scans along the line and calls
Jokkar - You are the youngest warrior of our tribe - the future of our tribe. Are you willing to defy your father and fight this moon chaos?

Jokkar looks sheepish but defiant

The leader of the band, from his place on the ridge-line calls

Jokkar - This rash call to arms does not befit a future ruler. You have more to consider than your wish to seek adventure. Think of the retribution that the Lunars will visit on the tribe should you win and the death you will suffer should you lose!

Jokkar seems suddenly undecided. It's as if his choice will overwhelm him. Alameda looks to Jargian for help in swaying the argument...

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#48 Post by kwll »

Jargian looks at Jokkar, then Alameda. Seeing his distress, he speaks again to the younger warrior: "The battle to protect the sable is supposed to be a limited contest, not a large engagement. You should stay with your tribe: should we fail, you will be needed to fight the Red Moon!"
Last edited by kwll on Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by BackworldTraveller »

kwll wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:02 am JArgian looks at Jokkar, then Alameda. Seeing his distress, he speaks again to the younger warrior: "The battle to protect the sable is supposed to be a limited contest, not a large engagement. You should stay with your tribe: should we fail, you will be needed to fight the Red Moon!"
Jokkar looks both relieved and disappointed. Clearly he was wishing to join the group; but avoiding direct disobedience towards the Elders is also a relief.

The leader of the Elders looks down from his ridge. You have shown understanding and wisdom towards my Son. If you head south and camp at the green-spring, you will find shelter and rations and watchers for the night.

Go in peace and with the blessing of Waha.

Rolled a Critical Oratory Roll (01) for you offline!!! Please mark this as successful on your char sheet!

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#50 Post by kwll »

Jargian bows in respect to the elders, and presents his honest thanks. Then he departs with his companions and his new found allies, curious to see how the Impala and the great Llama riders will go along.

He heads towards the green spring as advised, still herding the sable as necessary.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by BackworldTraveller »

kwll wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:22 am Jargian bows in respect to the elders, and presents his honest thanks. Then he departs with his companions and his new found allies, curious to see how the Impala and the great Llama riders will go along.

He heads towards the green spring as advised, still herding the sable as necessary.
After introductions, you set off. The band now form a rather mixed appearance. The three Llamas towering over Jargian, and the Antelope (little by comparison) only just as tall as Jargian himself. Three full Warriors and Eda - with the Storm Khan, Alameda, famous in his own right for his righteous fury acting at your beck and call! Jargian cannot help feeling the unusual nature of the situation.

There were signs. But I wasn't expecting this. I don't know what I expected. But I know that the River has called for Protection as the Moon has called for Aid. We should beware the creatures of chaos - especially at night. Alameda continues in this vein for some time before enquiring of the two other riders Have you heard any news of what the Moon Spawn are doing?

They say that they haven't. Last we saw, they were rounding up villagers

Almeda looks concerned

Do you have a plan for keeping an eye on what the Lunars are doing? And what their tame spirits are doing?

And do you have a particular place you are going or are you just wandering? Do you have particular allies in mind?

You can see Alameda is itching to give you his plan - but also reticent to do so.

Have you done much of this before?

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#52 Post by kwll »

Jargian turns to Alameda. "I will be honest in saying that this is my first time. I wasn't expecting it anymore than anyone else. Any advice is welcome, Storm Khan."

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by BackworldTraveller »

kwll wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:01 am Jargian turns to Alameda. "I will be honest in saying that this is my first time. I wasn't expecting it anymore than anyone else. Any advice is welcome, Storm Khan."
Then I would suggest that we find a Shaman, quickly, as wandering aimlessly will be a good way to find trouble. I'm certain the Moon will be planning something and we'll need whatever guidance we can get. And we'd probably find a River Priest useful. And Allies amongst the Clans who can provide food, shelter and the like - though most, it seems, don't see now as the time to face the Moon directly. Your Chief, Androkar, seems to have trod a brave but lonely path.

Androkar nods and Dorale speaks up He's always had a dislike for the Moon and with the White Bear stirring he thought this was too good an opportunity to pass up - even if he will now have to cross the river into the Vulture Country once we are done. We should send a message to him as he is supposed to be watching our pursuers. Perhaps he can find out what they are doing about their bloody nose yesterday.

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#54 Post by kwll »

"You are right, we should do that. Are you volunteering to go and try meeting him?" answers Jargian. Whatever the answer, he turns to Alameda again and asks: "Where can we find a shaman you can trust?"

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by BackworldTraveller »

kwll wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:56 pm "You are right, we should do that. Are you volunteering to go and try meeting him?" answers Jargian. Whatever the answer, he turns to Alameda again and asks: "Where can we find a shaman you can trust?"
Dorale suggests - I'll take Eda. If there is trouble, she can bring the message and I'll slow them up if I can.

Almeda smiles. Shamen are always tricky. Both to find and to trust. I know of some Shamen. Perhaps those at tonight's camp will tell us where they are.

They look to you for approval of these actions

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#56 Post by kwll »

Jargian agrees to Dorale's plan, then resumes the party's march towards the camp.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The move towards the camp starts with the party dividing.

Dorale and Eda head North-East to find Dorale's High-Llama Clan.

Androkar, Almeda, Jargian and Arniz head South-East towards the prepared camp-site.

Alemda comments I'm sure that Sable is deliberately checking every bush just to delay us.

Despite the contrary Sable, the afternoon is quite pleasant - the sun has come out and the water from the earlier rainfall is slowly vanishing. The plains are full of the gentle sounds of small creatures and the smells of damp sand and warm riding beasts.

The campsite is clearly visible from a distance by the existence of a group of trees in a line along the edge of a gulley. As the group approach, a number of children can be seen playing and some smoke is issuing from some tents. The group present is small - perhaps just a dozen families. Jokkar leads a group of warriors forward and greets you.

My father has sent his wayward son to camp here by way of punishment for his earlier cheek. It is fortunate that you should pass here. I am saddened that I must stay here until the end of the week, but your presence will, no doubt, enliven proceedings. Welcome!

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#58 Post by kwll »

Jargian smiles at the familiar face, and gives indications to setup camp. "How long have these families been here? And do you know of any shaman among them?" he asks to Jokkar.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by BackworldTraveller »

kwll wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:16 pm Jargian smiles at the familiar face, and gives indications to setup camp. "How long have these families been here? And do you know of any shaman among them?" he asks to Jokkar.
Oh - We got here as you were coming up behind that hill over there. And Shaman? No. Not here. There's a seer at the Painted Rock, but if he's not minded to see you, you may have trouble finding him. He's called Haret Sky, I think.

He makes a formal greeting, before continuing

We have brought you a great tent and have food on the fire. You can check your gear and sleep safely as we will stand watch.

kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#60 Post by kwll »

The proposition is fine, but Jargian is not in his natural element. He exchange looks with the remaining Llama rider and Almeda to check if everyone is comfortable with the situation, or if someone seems to have a double agenda.

"What about the sable?" he asks as well "Do you have contingencies to keep it from harm?"

Return to “Prax (RQ2)”