The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: (8) Astrologers Tower

#61 Post by The_Wanderer »

sastaz wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:43 pm Tuurma

"Cyril here is a decent man. I'm glad you're considering coming along Cyril."
+14gp

Cyril laughs. "I've not been called decent in quite sometime! Rarely have I been called the opposite but simply not being horrible is not the same as being decent. Thank you for the
complement. Lets go for a drink and see what adventure finds us."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#62 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The unidentified robed man quickly pays the 100 gold coins, taking only the glands he sought and the lump of ambergris before nodding and quickly heading back inside the tower. The 2 guards seem glad to see that the odd group is moving along.

This conversation can resume outside the dock tavern here: viewtopic.php?p=634637#p634637

The croc crew can each add 14gp to their sheets and I will tally up your XP reward in that thread momentarily.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#63 Post by OGRE MAGE »

When Belloc and Taibhse arrive outside the esoterically designed tower, the Xambaalian guards block the door with crossed spears, as is their way.

"What are your intentions here? Do you know of someone inside?"

Actions?

Taibhse AC:7 2/7 1st:1/2 MM
Belloc AC:6 7/9 0/3 Crestos: (Owl) AC:7 4/4

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#64 Post by Belkregos »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:00 pm When Belloc and Taibhse arrive outside the esoterically designed tower, the Xambaalian guards block the door with crossed spears, as is their way.

"What are your intentions here? Do you know of someone inside?"

Actions?

Taibhse AC:7 2/7 1st:1/2 MM
Belloc AC:6 7/9 0/3 Crestos: (Owl) AC:7 4/4
Belloc met the guard's gaze with a confident expression, aware of the expectations placed upon the guards. "As part of your training, you should have all the faculty members memorized," he explained. "I am Belloc, and this is my new assistant, Taibhse. We are on our way to complete his registration with the administration and continue my research" He paused momentarily before continuing, "I have recently been conducting field work, which might have led to a momentary lapse in recognition. Nevertheless, even a guard must possess a sharp mind to effectively protect this institution. I will make a note of this incident in my report, acknowledging that my appearance might have misled your judgment."

Belloc awaited the guard's response, expecting the guard to open passage for them .
Stitches:- 1st lvl Halfling-Rogue: basics HP:9, AC:14, init.:+3, Sw/Bow: +5 to hit/1d6+3 dam +Sneak attack!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#65 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I can never tell if players get lost in the shifting threads, or just chose not to reply. So......

One guard looks sideways at Belloc, almost as if he is about to turn him and his attitude away, when the other pipes up.

"You are not members, but you", he points to Belloc, "were here before, with Master Rubik, yes? You have business with the man again, then?"

The other guard keeps quiet, but doesn't stop giving Taibhse the hairy eyeball stare.

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#66 Post by Belkregos »

Belloc exhales a sigh thinking there'll be more red tape to deal with before he gets on with the work and changes his tone trying to get things running as smoothly as he can
yes, Master Rubik is aware of the situation, i'm sure he can help sort things out if you call him
he awaits a reply but expecting things to prolong more than initially thought he starts making notes, he starts listing the equipment he would need to set up his research area outside the tower in case it proves more trouble he could continue the research independently
Stitches:- 1st lvl Halfling-Rogue: basics HP:9, AC:14, init.:+3, Sw/Bow: +5 to hit/1d6+3 dam +Sneak attack!

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#67 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The guard heads inside for a moment, returning with the aforementioned Master Rubik, a portly looking older chap with a fondness for books and anything magical.

Master Rubik.jpg
Master Rubik.jpg (53.41 KiB) Viewed 716 times

When he sees Belloc again, he snorts. "Belloc my lad, come in! Come in! And who is this half naked fellow with you? Your new assistant, no doubt?"

He speaks quietly to the guard, slipping a coin into the mans hand in the process. "I cant wait to hear what you've been up to for the last few days."

He nods for you both to enter the tower, leading you from the plain looking entryway towards a small room off to the side of the main area. Once out of earshot from any others, Rubik holds his hand out to Taibhse. "Greatings seeker, I am called Rubik. And you are?"

Then he looks at Belloc with great interest. "I can tell by your face that you have found something interesting, am I right?"

Actions?

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#68 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Taibhse

"I am Taibhse, from the Boreal Coast. I come seeking knowledge." This is said a bit stiffly, and a hand is extended and then nervously withdrawn as he is unsure how to handle the greeting customs of this land, finally settling for a slight bow at the waist. Opting for the Roman fashion.

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#69 Post by Belkregos »

Belloc observed the exchange between the guard and his friend, his mind filled with curiosity about other missed interactions. Since his return from the mausoleum, he couldn't help but see everything through a darker lens. The pursuit of knowledge, once seen as a noble endeavor, now appeared tainted. The bribe exchange he witnessed only confirmed his somber outlook. As he quietly followed Rubik through the halls of the astrologers tower, lost in thought, Rubik's conversation broke his reverie.

Belloc waited for the introductions to progress before speaking. "You were right to advise against venturing alone into the desert," he admitted to Rubik. Crestos seemed slightly perturbed by the comment. Belloc continued, "You know what I mean, Crestos. If it weren't for Taibhse's timely intervention, I could have become another casualty or worse, one of the undead that prowls the streets after dark."

He paused, reflecting on their recent encounter with the undead. "Indeed, we managed to locate and eliminate a source of the undead, but there is much more to investigate. I require dedicated space to conduct the rituals necessary for deciphering the eldritch knowledge I have acquired. Taibhse has shown great promise in the arts and has agreed to assist me. I was wondering if there might be adequate space within the tower for our research. Of course, I am willing to pay for any materials needed and cover any fees associated with using the space. While I would prefer to stay within the tower, understanding that the staff is accustomed to such endeavors, I do not wish to inconvenience you. If necessary, I can explore alternative accommodations."

Belloc concluded, awaiting Rubik's response, hopeful that they could find a suitable arrangement for their research within the tower."

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#70 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Taibhse

Following his new mentor and the what he supposes to be owner of the tower, he attempts not to do anything awkward. Trying to gain as much from the information being shared as he can. He blushes somewhat at the kind words of praise.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#71 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Rubik raised one eyebrow at the high praise of Taibhse, bowing at the mans proffered accomplishments with sincerity. He takes in everything Belloc has to say before replying excitedly.

"Of course. Of course, my boy. You can use the area I already have set up here to do any research you need. As long as you allow me to aid you, that is."

The elder mage stares into the eyes of his lesser study for what seems uncomfortably long before regaining his own thoughts. He motions for the duo to follow him as he takes a nearby stairway to an upper floor. Moving down a narrow hallway lined with doors, he opens one with a key and invites the pair inside his temporary mages lab.

Once he shuts the door behind them, he turns to Belloc again, this time his look of curiosity has turned to something that appears to be a little closer to eager anticipation.

"Are you sure you are feeling yourself lately, lad? I can see a distant stare in your eye that I have never noticed before." He looks to Taibhse next. "What has your new friend discovered out there in the hoary wilds of the Zakath, sir? If you actually located the target of your search, I would very much like to see the item for myself."

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#72 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Taibhse

Looking at the mage as he looks at him, finally realizing he asked him that question.
Well I don't know what Belloc was searching for, I was simply there, he joined us, and took his share of what we did find. He then kindly offered me the chance to study under and assist him. Being new to this town I took his kind offer.

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#73 Post by Belkregos »

Belloc nodded in agreement. "Yes, Master Rubik, we have indeed discovered it. I express my gratitude for your meticulous preparation of the area. It is crucial that we handle this artifact with utmost care. I have high hopes that the knowledge we acquire from it will prove invaluable. Furthermore, I can already sense a formidable power emanating from it. May we also attain wisdom equal to the strength it possesses."

Taking a step forward, Belloc approached a work table suitable for placing the staff. He cast a glance over his shoulder to ensure the door was securely closed behind them. Proceeding with caution, he began inscribing intricate arcane glyphs along the table's edge, setting the stage for their imminent investigation. Finally, he unveiled the staff, carefully removing its cover, and positioned it at the center of the table. With a commanding voice, he announced,

"Behold, the Staff of Stygian Purpose!"

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#74 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Taibhse

He follows Belloc's actions closely. Trying to note the sigils used and then looks on in wonder as the staff is revealed and placed on the table.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#75 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Rubik watches with great interest as the preparations to reveal the Staff are made.

He and Taibhse listen to the wise words of Belloc as he dramatizes his presentation.

Once the Staff is revealed, a strange look crosses the face of Master Rubik. His eyes glow as he stares at the marvelous magical item.

"You really did it, didn't you. You've actually located the Staff of Stygian Purpose."

"And you brought it here........to me? Tell me.......are the tales of its power true? Can it really drain energy from an opponent that will revive the wielder?"

The portly man reaches out his hand to touch the item, as if to check its validity for himself.

Actions?

Belkregos
Ranger
Ranger

#76 Post by Belkregos »

Belloc gracefully slides the staff just out of Rubik's reach. "I am willing to share the knowledge gleaned from our investigations, Master Rubik, but I must caution you. Contact with this staff delves deep into the recesses of your soul. Mine is already entwined with its formidable power, engaged in a ceaseless struggle to restrain the entity that lurks on the precipice of the great beyond. When you mentioned sensing something about me, I believe it is precisely this existential battle that resonated within you. As we delve further into our investigations, we will gain insights into this profound challenge and the compromises that must be made. At present, I feel my eternal soul teeters on the precipice of constant peril. Nevertheless, it is the price I am willing to pay to keep these entities at bay. Perhaps, through our endeavors, we may unravel the mysteries of the great beyond and discern the intricate mechanisms through which artifacts like this staff serve as conduits."
he starts to prepare the necessary components to cast identify on the staff meanwhile explaining the process to Taibshe
Belloc will meditate and cast the spell as soon as able

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#77 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Since this has the potential to get a little weird, I will await an action from Taibhse before updating.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#78 Post by OGRE MAGE »

But not much longer.

Ahlmzhad
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#79 Post by Ahlmzhad »

Taibhse

My apologies work is cutting into my quality time.

Taibhse, listens carefully and follows Belloc's directions making careful mental notes of all that he's asked to do, and all that he sees Belloc do.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#80 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Rubik glares angrily at Belloc after he slides the staff away from his grasp, sneering throughout the mage's well laid out explanation. The portly man begins to look around the room nervously, his head jerking up towards the corners of the ceiling, even though nothing can be seen there. He then stares at Taibhse for an uncomfortable length of time, looking him up and down with disgust in his eyes.

"That thing is CURSED!" He shouts this loud enough to hear well beyond the closed doors to the lab.

"I knew it all along! I should have never helped you locate it in the first place! It will POSSESS YOU!" He continues to look around in an overly paranoid manner before taking a few steps away from the table. "And after bringing this thing here, you want me to let you stay and experiment on it? For FREE?"

He backs up all the way to the door, making no further moves to possess the staff himself. "These private rooms are not cheap, you know. What have I to gain from your little experiments?"

It is clear to Belloc that Rubic is no longer acting his normal jovial self.

Actions?

Return to “Wandering Windswept Wastelands (HYPERBOREA)”