Bogtown: Favours

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Bogtown: Favours

#1 Post by Spearmint »

This is the Expedition thread which covers the adventure for Dalin 'the Diggler' Silverhand and Johka.

As the expedition will possibly take place across several Bogtown locations, some of the action will be scripted in those specific location threads rather than here.

Any questions or comments relating to the expedition or out of location activity will transfer to this forum thread.

Hope that is understandable.

Helix: Duchy of Aerik.

June 6th 1066.

After a hearty breakfast in the tavern, Dalin and Johka meet up with mercenerary hires, Knatchbull, a half-orc warrior like Johka but twice the bulk and Cloverfield , a bookish mage hired more for his brain than brawn.

The team trek upon a draft horse pulled wagon which is loaded with several kegs if locally produced Scrumpy from the Helix distillery which is being exported to the Toasted Troll Tavern as a favour for Bollo. One of a number of favours which motivated the journey to start.

As an encounter during 'Quick travel' was triggered, we are dealing with that in the Bogtown Travel thread, so Dalin & Johka, please post there.

I will open this thread for none location activity.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Bogtown: Favours

#2 Post by Spearmint »

Helix: Duchy of Aerik.

June 6th 1066.

Shortly after leaving the comforts of Helix, the expedition group encounter a hooded stranger stumbling along the trade route, seeking help.

Wary at first, Dalin halts the wagon's progression and rather than bypass the stranger, offers him a lift whilst an uncomfortable storm brews among the forest, an unseen rage following the man's footsteps. Once aboard the wagon, Johka jerks the bucking horse into a trot to quicken the pace and head away from the area.

The stranger reveals part of his distress, the left side of body entirely covered in strange bark like growths. His hand a huge mass of branch like fingers, his joints creak as he moves, like wood warping. The man is being slowly lignified, turned into a tree.

Cloverfield, a mage mercenerary has never seen anything like this in his arcane studies, it must be a different branch of magic, pardoning the pun. Knatchbull, the second of the swords-for-hire, remains quiet and watchful of dangers pursuing the group.

Dalin, shares of a previous experience when calling upon a local druid for assistance. To receive his healing he partnered other rogues in committing a heist. While the 'mad druid' Bjornark might be the most knowledgeable to address the stranger's plight, the dwarf fears it will also come at another cost.

The trail to the ruined Moathouse is not frequently travelled. More than once the group have to push the wagon over deep ruts and cut through wild thickets. As you go, the stranger shares some testimony.

"I am Arthuro. I am, I was. A ranger by trade. For fifteen years I have not aged a day, living a 'Fey life', counting the Northern Greatwoods as my home and a Dryad as my wife. We saw the face of Silvanus carved among the ancient Oaks, dancing and loving among their roots. Happy we were but then Blight came and turned the forest against us. Even the Green Man turned his face. Ill-fated or cursed we became and I fled in hope of salvation and help."

He shares a little before stooping in sleep, exhausted from his struggle.

actions Dalin & Johka: I will update this scene for when you arrive at Bjornark's residence. But ask any questions or make any comments here and I will try to answer those.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin thinks this new information over then shares to the others "This might be related to the other quest I have to take up. I think this news might be useful to Brother Clive after we are done with the work in bogtown. If we can help Arthuro I think both druids might like to hear his tale. This is a bit more troubling than I had hoped to learn but useful as well." noting that Arthuro is resting he ads "Let's let him rest, this type of odreal has to be especally taxing to a person."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Joey2k
Scout
Scout

#4 Post by Joey2k »

"My companion has more of an idea for how you may be helped than I," Johka admits. "I will trust him in this matter."

He ponders. "This blight," he asks, "in what other ways has it manifested? What other ill effects have you seen?"

GreyWolfVT

#5 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin explains the leper bugbear colony he encoutered and the blighted forest. "Well what I encountered were a bunch of leper bugbear their tribe was taken over by some made zelot that worshiped the god of diease and rot. He was sacrificing folks to their god but not all of the tribe agreed and most were outcasted and fled to some caves. The forest was dead and blighted looked like dieseased rotted trees not normal rot mind you." hopefully I am relaying this correctly. "Also encountered some strange stuff on one of my edpeditions a living fungi attacked my group and infected two of them with some strange disease."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Spearmint »

Moorwash Overlook.

Duchy of Aerik.

June 6th 1066.

On the banks overlooking the river and a large deforested clearing is a ruin, whose crenellated walls border a main building the top floors of which have long since collapsed.

A circular tower stands next to an gateway from which a drawbridge hangs on loose and broken chains. It straddles the surrounding moat, thick with kelp and algae. Off to one side a large pond and boggy ground provide a haven for amphibious critters. Tall iridescent grasses, illuminated with fluorescent fungi spread over a boggy meadow before the forest encroaches on three sides. Large toads crouch idly by the pond, croaking with bulging throats to call a females attention.

There is no one visible in the watch tower or any ramparts. A large nest seems built in the rafters of the tower and two large hawks watch your arrival with beady eyes.

Once more Dalin turns up at the drawbridge to the ruined Moathouse. The former fortified manor serving as a defence against humanoid and lizardmen incursions from across the Moorwash River long before the citadel of Ironguard was established. The upper storeys derelict and much of the outer wall breached, the Moathouse ringed with a deep murky most that connects to the nearby waterway. Within the few habitable rooms, a druid exile has taken up residence. Left to his own devices and research, Bjornark has a notorious reputation though much of that is unverified rumour. Certainly those entertained by him have seen him display all manner of odd behaviours though he has never harmed or threatened anyone. The feeling is that he is either lycanthropic and turns into some Were-form (he did offer a safe haven to a group of werewolves) or that as a higher level Initiate of Druidical practices, the more he morphs into animal form, the more he confirms to animal personality and is gradually losing his own humanity.

Carefully you cross the creaking drawbridge, the wagon wheels cracking boards under its weight. Arriving in the courtyard, your presence heralded by squawks from the nesting birds of prey.

After a few nervous moments the door of the manor is opened and a thickset guardian, Rondahl steps forward. Dalin may recognise him as it was during his very first expedition, the dwarf, Rondahl and Vann Hector set off in vain to locate the missing rangers. Injured, they sought help from the druid after arriving here. The warrior was held as 'a guest' in good faith though in reality he was as prisoner to ensure the stagecoach heist went ahead, a reciprocal favour in return for the group's healing. Afterwards, the warrior stayed on in the Moathouse to serve the druid and initially to help battle harden the juvenile werewolf group who were being sought by bounty hunters.

(Rondahl was a gladiator type character who became an NPC when his player withdrew from the game).

Clutching his favoured trident, the warrior greets the wagon crew. He points out the gatehouse tower, the lower floor serving as an ad-hoc stable. Knatchbull, a huge warrior himself almost dwarfing the draft horse he unbuckles from the wagon looks on wondering if the approaching man still keeps his arena skills intact. Cloverfield helps Arthuro from the wagon, covering him in a blanket lest his state be too horrific even for a sword-for-hire's stomach.

Dalin introduces his companions.

"You had better come inside." the guardian says, an unspoken worry that the lignification process might be contagious.

The group are taken into the reception where you may refresh yourselves and take off cloaks and weapons. The druid is in his own quarters, notified of your arrival he comes and from his manner seems quite concerned though he has little information.

He takes a look at the afflicted man, gasping at what he sees. Then checks over each of the group's hands and faces.

"Thank the heavens and the earth that he is the only one suffering. A Blight you say. I must know more of this."

actions please, any questions or comments directed at either the druid or Arthuro.

GreyWolfVT

#7 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin once more retells the tale of what he experienced in the area around Crooked Yew, and then the road here discovering Arthuro in his current state. "Bjornark I don't know if you have ever met Brother Clive but he is a druid, and he has taken to helping a tribe of leper bugbear now, that I helped while seeking aid for a disease I had contracted but now and healed from." he refers to the mummy rot indicating it was not related to the blight he then proceeds to tell the tale of what happened to his two friends when they encountered the living fungi that infected them. "Unfortunately those friends did not find a cure as I did some rumors in Helix are that the lord there had the place they were recovering in burned to the ground with them inside. So you can see why I opted to not turn back towards helix with Arthuro." then changing from the subject of the blight briefly the dwarf asks the druid "As our mutual friend been here lately? I have a message for her."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Spearmint »

will update here later tonight

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Spearmint »

Moorwash Overlook.

Duchy of Aerik.

June 6th 1066.

Asking about Renata the brigandine, the druid answers that he has not seen her since she left a month ago though suspects she will be found via the Bogtown tavern. As to the werewolf gang, Lady Azul and Reisling he says they will be roaming the barrows and haunts of the Moor.

Inspecting Arthuro and listening to his story He concludes that the cause may be through the work of one of the 'Seven Sisters'.
an expedition to the Sauron Mound encountered and slew one, a second was mentioned here as dwelling in a barrow mound.
A wretched hag, ugly as sin and despoiled by evil in her ways. One of the 'seven sisters' who roam the Moors, exiled banshees of elven descent. They hate all things pertaining to life and beauty.
Bjornark seems more concerned with the testimony that 'the Green Man' turned his face, sensing that whatever happened prior, it had a caused the God's displeasure. He is less concerned with the man turning slowly into a tree.

"To solve this, you may need to return to the grove and root out the Hag herself. If this place is indeed Fey touched then accessing it may only come via Fey means. I know Dryads travel themselves via the great Oaks, their tree trunks acting as host ports to dimensional steps.

I can concoct a potion which the right compounds that may allow the drinker to be absorbed into the tree and step across the unseen nature into another Oak copse. But I would need some Weir-wood rootstock, taken from a holy shrine itself."

The druid offers some solution to the problem and a possible recourse to nullify an growing blight threat. He digs out old regional maps, ancient scrawlings of yore, faded parchments that might show such a Green Man site. You have heard the mage Moriartus considers a journey to one desecrated site but that is far away.

Dalin, you have encountered another that the druid might not know about. Johka is all ears, everything being new to him.

questions and actions please.

GreyWolfVT

#10 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin attempts to recall where the "other green man sight" he may have encountered and relays it to the druid. I have no idea what you mean but is there a roll I can perform for this?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Spearmint »

is Dalin so forgetful of his expeditions?

GreyWolfVT

#12 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Spearmint wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:46 pm is Dalin so forgetful of his expeditions?
if it hasn't happened recently yes. I recall bits of things like saving the rogue lady from guards of Helix, breaking free a lycan, going into the mounds a couple time getting a disease, loosing two friends to another disease and a lord burning them alive. Then the most recent saving a tribe of bugbear from another cult tribe.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Spearmint »

I will wait a day or so for Johka to post any comments or actions. During that time Dalin can do some homework and skip through his completed expeditions to see if anything refreshes his memory.

Joey2k
Scout
Scout

#14 Post by Joey2k »

Johka listens, fascinated and unnerved at the same time, cringing slightly at the mention of the "sisters". "This sounds like evil, unholy business," he says, making a circular warding gesture across his chest.

He leans in closer to Dalin. "I pity this one," he speaks softly, indicating Arthuro, "but are his troubles to become ours? Have we not done well by him already. What do we stand to gain by involving ourselves in this?"

GreyWolfVT

#15 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin nods his agreement "I feel we have to continue with our business here Arthuro, before we can even consider going further to aid you."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Spearmint »

Moorwash Overlook.

Duchy of Aerik.

June 6th 1066.

The character duo debate the wisdom of adding further favours to their list. Scratching his memory, Dalin recently entered a mound dedicated to the Green Man, the interior chamber having many dangling roots which may suffice. The other shrine, the wilderness one defiled by agents of Impurax and the possible source of viral infection among the Treant wardens who met there.

Knatchbull & Cloverfield, being hired hands offer little advice. They will follow you decisions. To continue on to Bogtown or take Arthuro into care and sojourn for his healing and to aid the Druid's cause.

actions please. If you wish to leave the lignified man in Bjornark's care then address that and I presume, offer your condolences to the stricken man.

If you wish to help further then agree to that. You are under no compulsion to choose one over the other, each decision may have future consequences. The druid himself leaves the choice up to you, acting neutral in all things.

what would you like to do?

Joey2k
Scout
Scout

#17 Post by Joey2k »

"Then it's agreed," Johka says to Dalin. "We continue with your...favor for a friend."

He looks at Arthuro, then at Bjornark, ands with a twinge of guilt: "Will he be all right with that one?"

GreyWolfVT

#18 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin agrees "We should take care of our business here, maybe afterwards we can aid you further, Arthuro. Otherwise we may have to leave you in Bjornark's care."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Spearmint »

Moorwash Overlook.

Duchy of Aerik.

June 6th 1066.

Decisions made. Sadly for Arthuro, the group prioritize the mission they have undertaken. The Barrow Mounds lies a day's trek westwards and the sacred grove more to the south.

Bjornark nods, understanding your dilemma. "I will watch over him here, he may wander free as he wills and I will investigate regarding the corruption of the Feywild as I am able."

You get the impression that the druid considers solving the Blight to be of more importance than curing the lignification of Arthuro. Turning into a tree might actually be quite a favourable thing for a druid to aspire to, communing with nature and all.

Leaving then, the quartet return to their wagon. Refreshed with a meal and clean water, you trek again towards Bogtown.

actions: I will roll up any further encounters en route using the fast travel formulae and then edit here with an update.

GreyWolfVT

#20 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin prior to departing will mention to Bjornark "You may want to reach out to Brother Clive, and talk about the blight around Crooked Yew."

Return to “Completed Expeditions”