Bogtown: Favours

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Bogtown: Favours

#281 Post by Spearmint »

Just as I script this update:
Apologises again for the month long hiatus and interruptions in posting here. In the end I think I was stuck in some User Control Panel Issue that froze a page on my mobile as an unresolved action. At least that is my understanding but thankfully it appears all resolved now.

As a reward I thought I could appropriate the current build up of experience points as an appreciation. So: ...

Bogtown to Ironguard via Renata's Camp.

XP for Gunter, Golgarth and Dalin:

813 x 4 trolls /2 groups (characters & Renata's)

340 xp, Baboons

256 xp Banderlogs

1616 + 340 + 256 = 2212/ 3 full & 2 half shares = 553xp plus any relevant 'prb' bonus (+55xp)

Plus +100xp player patience award.

Dalin: 708xp
Golgarth: 653xp
Gunter: 653xp

I have gone ahead and added these to your current public records. Could you adjust your sheets accordingly and for Golgarth, you should advance now in level.

I expect, (subject to surviving whatever challenge is ahead) Gunter & Dalin to advance shortly also.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#282 Post by Spearmint »

Inside the Silvanus Temple

edit coming

yes Dalin is the Master Silverhand referred to.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#283 Post by Spearmint »

Observations

The rogue outfit of Ness Costner managing to appropriate and forge tickets to allow entrance. A few of Renata's gang helping welcome guests in the outer courtyard entrance.

Inside it is pretty much up to the character group. Something is scheduled to 'go down' but you are not exactly sure of what form that will take.

Careful note then of trying to observe without being observed or busted. Gunter gets a feel for the scene, figuring several of the attendees who like him stick to the periphery might be bodyguards and aides of one sort or another. There are no obvious 'detection' of magic or evil (or good?) being enabled. A faux pas and poor manners if they were.

Dalin, more comfortable too in the shadows. Not many actual shadows to secrete himself in. Plenty of purses on offer and tempting necklaces to plunder. Not here to 'diggle' he avoids temptation. What you do note is how 'managed' the place is. Commoners milling about in the foremost courtyard and Colonnade, more 'noble' figures or those ranking in society, merchant guild heads, sages, Court officials; those approached and invited to inner courts. It might be a sleight of hand is needed to slip a gold leaf invitation rather than a silver gilded one to wave under the nose of doorkeepers.

Golgarth does cast his Detect Charm trying to hold his holy symbol in one hand and glass of wine in another. "The blessings of Cromm on you Sir" "Wealth and honour to you Sir". "May the Crown of Cruach bless you with fortitude madam." he goes around, bumbling but not irritatingly so. You do not locate any guests 'under the influence' but a steward, going to and fro the upper gallery certainly has a glazed look about him.

The actual Silvanus priesthood, the Patriarch's are not here in these outer courts. You note a couple of clerics, probably of curate level milling among the swell of guests. But higher clerics, no. Certainly no dark skinned Drow.

Actions you can try to sneak to follow the steward or attempt to pass the door guards to access the inner hall. How do you do that? Bribery, flashing a gold ticket? Deception?

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#284 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

I don't want us to get split up but I think following the possible infected steward and entering the more private chamber both necessary.

I will try a direct approach, Command spell on a guard to allow me / us to bypass. If a guard may by chance be some pretty young elven thing, female, green eyes ... then I might just go "Kiss?" though that might be more of a question than command.

"Dance!" works, especially if I can grab her or him by the arms and 'do-si-dos' around the hall allowing others to pass through the guarded door.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#285 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin makes his way around trying to spot someone carrying a "ticket upgrade" that he might try and "barrow" or maybe 3. ;)
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#286 Post by Hvalreki »

Gunter

Completing the room circuit with Renatta he pauses against the wall to await the outcome of Dalin’s “gold leaf” fishing expedition.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#287 Post by Spearmint »

Skullduggery and Shenanigans.

Golgarth once more acts in good faith but clearly without thinking. Must be the wine... casting a spell upon the door-keeping guard, hoping his distraction enables others to sneak into the private chapel area.

Door-keeping: resistance to Charm vs 90% [1d100]=21 17+ save vs Command spell [1d20]=14

He waves his iron symbol in one hand, tugging the guard's own hand with his other. "Dance!" he insists but the cleric is neglectful in due diligence, that Elves have a particular resistance to being Charmed or coerced.

"Oi! Leave off. What do you think you are doing?

Door-keeping: reactions to Golgarth [1d100]=4

Even adjusting for any Charisma bonus, the reaction score is poor, worse in fact. It generates as 'hostile, immediate action' which in this case is the second of the guards grabbing you by the arm yourself, effecting an 'overbearing' manoeuvre in order to arrest you.

Door-keeper guard: Overbearing Golgarth vs 85% [1d100]=34 success [1d100+12]=72+12=84

The result is that Golgarth gets winded, shafted in the solar plexus by the blunt end of the spear and he doubles over onto his hands and knees. The two guards each grab an arm, lifting him off his feet and shepherd him away, making excuses that "Excuse us, ladies, make room gentlemen. The cleric feels a bit sick." carting him off to a side room.

While not so good for Golgarth, -2hp, it actually becomes a better distraction than he planned for since both door-keepers are momentarily absent from the porch and this allows Dalin, Froed, Renata & Gunter to slip by, Sidkrake keeping to watching out for Golgarth. He gives you the 'nod and wink' to move on without him.

Dalin, if you want to pickpocket any upgraded tickets you can try but I am assuming that with Golgarth's actions and the consequence, you might prefer to slip by the unguarded portal now rather than later.

Inside in inner sanctuary.

Attachments
Silvanus Temple interior
Silvanus Temple interior
IMG_20230730_005745.jpg (62.27 KiB) Viewed 842 times

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#288 Post by Spearmint »

Silvanus Temple.

Golgarth taken to a side room by the two guards, bringing you to a desk, behind which sits a uniformed cleric who must be a ranking officer within the Temple hierarchy. You are asked to account for the spell casting outburst. One guard, the female nods formally at the senior and departs back to her door keeping duties.

Actions Golgarth: give me a Charisma check with your post please.

Dalin, Gunter & Renata & Froed manage to step inside the temple sanctuary. A place of baroque decor and high vaulted ceilings. Entering the Narthex, an ante-chamber upon whose walls Silvanus themed relics and portraits hang. Either side are two doors which lead to smaller side chapels or personal rooms. I need an action to investigate to obtain more details.

A curtain loosely covers access to the Naos, the central nave area where formal rituals and special ceremonies are held. Either side of the main sanctum are stalls which hold choir stalls, both at ground level and higher up there are balconies with pew seating (which you can't currently see) behind. Further priests quarters adjoin the Altar chamber which contains a Sacred Grove and a blessed Weirwood tree that the sun rays catch through the multi-coloured stained glass window.

There are some couples talking in the ante-chamber. Hushed whispers as voices echo in the acoustically rich environment. They appear either engaged in private but inconsequential conversation or they study the surrounds, new to viewing such Silvanic arts as you are.

Actions please Dalin & Gunter give me a specific act, any class skill roll and one to cover any observation or investigation.

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#289 Post by Hvalreki »

Gunter

Gunter catches Sidrake’s gaze and mimes watching Golgarth as they pass by quietly. Hoping the best for our impulsive friend, he moves past the unguarded corridor like he’s supposed to be there.

His eyes widen at the grandeur of the Narthex finishings and some part of him feels a little guilty about sneaking into such a holy place. Quickly remembering Bogtown and the corruption there he steels his nerve to carry on.

Not wanting to draw any undue attention he meanders slowly, taking in the room. He looks carefully to see who else is there with them in the Narthex, (especially guards), and if possible steers our quartet through the side rooms to see what’s them before we try move further into the complex.

GreyWolfVT

#290 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin making sure nobody is watching him as he takes the distraction as the opportune time to slip by doesn't bother trying to pocket some ticket upgrades at this time as it appears to be unessisary in the moment.

WIS 11 [4d6]=15
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#291 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

Golgarth: Charisma check vs 9 [4d6]=10

While not too convincing, he tries to sound sincere. Speaking in my best Elven,

"My apologies Sir, Miss. I meant no offence. The ball is a festive occasion and I thought to make merry. I am sorry to intrude upon your duties or personhood."

He shuffles his feet doing his best to create a good impression whilst being reprimanded. My Detect Charm spell might still be in effect, does that alert me to any aura of charm or coercive possession by the ticks?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#292 Post by Spearmint »

Silvanus Temple, Ironguard Citadel.

Golgarth does his best to make a good impression, his apology is mute. He is made to wait in silence as the Sgt considers his inappropriate behaviour. He checks your ticket.

"The minister for Cromm Cruach? A deputy surely, I thought he was older though no less ingrained to overreach his prudence" he says.
The actual Ironguard minister unfortunately detained elsewhere due to over indulgence with a wine barrel and a rather flexible but plump 'sister of mercy' .... say no more ...
It must be common knowledge the minister is a flawed character.

"Well, we won't be needing this on the dance floor. Check this in to reception." the Sgt says to the junior who reaches to take your mace from you. "Your apology accepted Sir, no harm done then. I know how slim faces and twinkling eyes can so beguile. A glass Sir to quench any ill welcome you may feel " the Sgt, pinging on your detection of charm radiance pours a glass of wine from a bottle, offering it out in consolation at your temporary arrest. He seems intent in just managing you back into the mainstream of guests without further fuss.

The guard with your weapon has left the room, the female officer back to guarding the archway between the two portions of the Temple complex.

Actions Golgarth?

Elsewhere, Renata, Gunter, Dalin & Froed mingle in the ante-chamber, feigning admiration for the design of the place. They observe and are in turn observed but provoke no suspicion. Dwarves studying masonry and resplendent stone craft is not unusual. Dalin & Froed do a little circuit, sussing out guests, politely greeting passersby. Gunter can accompany Renata. You note she is agitated, wondering if her informants and intelligence will bear fruit and prove the cultists wish to commit some Insidious endeavour upon the attendees. So many people in the dance, a select few in the more private soiree.

Surely this will be the most likely group under threat.

There is no rush, the music carries over from one festive waltz to another in the first colonnaded porch. It gives you time to check out the side doors. One is locked, the eastern one.

Silvanus Embassy guards: vs 1 [1d6]=1

The dwarves are there. Just after you try the door confirming its closed nature two elves do exit. They speak cordially, one bows to the other who is more formally dressed in the livery of one of the 'Inquisitors'. He bears an unmistakeable air of authority and grandeur, emphasized by his eye patch and silver hilted sabre. He walks to exit the chamber, heading outward, the other, a steward locks the door behind then walks towards the separating curtain between the ante-chamber and the inner Naos. Actions Dalin if you wish to bump into him to pickpocket the key?

The other door on the opposite side opens easily into a chamber that is decorated much like side chapel might be. A glazed window of leaden lined panes filters the sunlight upon a large carpet. In the north wall is an alcove which has a tall slender tree that buds with many bunches of hanging grape-like fruit.

Inside the room, two men walk around the carpet in a circle, one behind the other. They each carry a scented aspergillus, ceremonial maces that are filled with fragrant incense. They chant as though at prayer, swinging the maces over their shoulders and from side to side as they walk around.

After a moment one stops. He turns to face those by the door. I would say 'he turns to look' but straightaway you can see that his harrowed face has no eyes within his eye sockets.

Yet he senses Gunter & Renata gawping at him. The other keeps walking around his well travelled path, wearing a marked trail of repetitive steps in the carpet fabric.

Actions Gunter

actions everyone please
Attachments
Silvanus Inquisitor
Silvanus Inquisitor
tumblr_o8pkpqF2gu1u7grnzo5_400.gif (1.76 MiB) Viewed 798 times

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#293 Post by Hvalreki »

Gunter

Facing down the eyeless stare of the incense bearer Gunter nearly loses his cool. Nearly. He says nothing and meets the eyeless gaze unflinching and waits to see what happens. He stands loosely, balanced and ready for action.

GreyWolfVT

#294 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin feigns a trip and bumps into the fellow and attempts to sneak the key from him, but tries to pull back at the last moment having changed hid mind half-way through the move, but alas too late. :roll:

PP (45%) [1d100]=92

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#295 Post by Bluetongue »

Golgarth

I am very tempted to refuse the drink, suspecting he nay be quietly trying to poison me. Did he 'Command' me as I tried upon the guard?

I don't want to call him out if he did and I feel he may be offended if I don't which could lead to more unwanted trouble when we want to investigate. So, I will drink hoping my decision not to appropriate 'Slow Poison' as a daily spell does not come back to haunt me.

Golgarth: save vs Poison 10+ [1d20]=16 Save vs Command spell : 15+ [1d20+1]=14+1=15

Drinking, "Your health Sir." I will say and will turn to exit his office if I can.

He is afflicted, I don't trust him not to either follow me. So as I go, I will try and interact with him.

"Tell me, what is the schedule of events for this ball. We mingle and dance, entertained with drinks and buffet. I saw some dwarves invited and thought you may have some firework displays or a concert symphony later. They might be fine sights to see and hear."

I am trying to gain a bit more information and also try to observe any 'affliction' (the cultists twitch or they are all hunchbacked with large ticks) or they have some form of sigil (like Renata's men are gifting folks to wear silver torcs, the cultists may all be wearing a 'vulture head' ring or a snake bracelet)? Anything I can gain from studying the
elf as he interrogates me.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#296 Post by Spearmint »

Masquerades and Balls-up's.

Gunter & Renata opens the side chamber, intruding upon two acolytes who chant in gibbering glossolalai, performing some unorthodox ritual that seems as out of place as their eyeless faces are.

The blind acolyte senses the gawping duo at the door, "Come in, come in. You are late but we can still invoke the blessing. Kneel, we shall lay on hands and anoint you."

Renata edges Gunter inside, closing the door behind. The room, despite sweet aromas and incense reeks in your spirit as something wrong, something out of place. The blind man gestures, pointing to an area of the carpet before him. While Gunter may hesitate as it takes it all in, Renata sees that these do not wear the wreaths and laurels of tradition Silvanus priests, assuming them with their dread faces to be of Impuraxian ilk. She is swift to launch herself, drawing a scimitar and holstered hand-held crossbow.

"Take the other, swiftly and quietly"
she says, even as she does so, she flinches under a mental attack as one acolyte tries to wrangle with her mind and hold her prisoner. She shakes of his Hold Person and stabs him, -5hp

Renata [1d20]=18 Renata: Scimitar [1d20+1]=15+1=16 [1d8+1]=4+1=5 HH xbow [1d20+1]=10+1=11 [2d4]=5

Actions Gunter.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#297 Post by Spearmint »

Dalin Silverhand but buttered-fingered, losing his touch to sleight keys from the steward. His faux-pax such an obvious move, there is little room for error. The steward jumps away, brushing past Froed would ordinarily liberate the keys but it might all be to no avail if he raises an alarm.

Froed: [1d100]=12

A strange event ... Dalin you tried to take the keys, failed abysmally, the ring of keys falling from the man's pocket to clatter upon the tiled floor. You pick them up, handing them to him. He has the keys in his hands, he believes you tried to pickpocket but he has the key set and you step away. Unsure, he moves away. You might clench a fist, intending to cosh him silent from sending an alarm but as you squeeze your fingers tight, something hard and cold as iron is in your fist Inexplicably, you have the key in your hand!

this is the resolution of the bonus given by Blindman Jeremiah, which was 'auto pass the next saving throw or skill check that you would otherwise fail at. I didn't allocate it to the previous 'casual observations' check as nothing critical was riding upon that. Two coins well spent!

The steward goes beyond the curtain without further fuss. The Inquisitor has gone through the guarded doors and these are actually shut behind him. You and Froed are temporarily alone in the Narthex as Gunter & Renata have gone through the west door which they have shut behind.

So Actions please Dalin.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#298 Post by Spearmint »

Golgarth drinks a glass of wine offered to pacify any offence he msy have felt in being apprehended and scolded by the Silvanus Sgt.
He drinks the slightly bitter wine, not one of vintage stock and unabated, presses for information regarding further celebrations.
"Tell me, what is the schedule of events for this ball. We mingle and dance, entertained with drinks and buffet. I saw some dwarves invited and thought you may have some firework displays or a concert symphony later. They might be fine sights to see and hear."
Sgt-at-arms: reactions vs Gunter .[1d100]=84

"Certainly we hope a fine display, one for the Commoners and a more refined symphony for the attending VIP's. The choir is well versed and should entertain royally." he says, giving you a brochure and satisfied you have no further intentions to coerce his pretty, young guards into waltzing dalliances, he permits you back into the main Colonnade of guests.

Sidkrake is there. He informs you that the others have gained access into the more privileged soiree. You can both grab another drink from a tray of crystal glasses filled with cheap wine. It will swill the taste of poison away. That access route is closed now, so you mingle in the crowds, spotting s number of guests wearing gifted 'Silvanus Torcs', those crafted in the dwarf forge by the abandoned mine.

You know a number of Silvanus guards are under the coercion of the 'tick' leeching control. Not all of them, just those in more prominent guard positions. Certainly the office adjutant and the steward who went upstairs.

next actions please Golgarth

Hvalreki
Ranger
Ranger

#299 Post by Hvalreki »

Gunter

As Renata moves to engage, Gunter quickly follows suit uttering silent pleas to Cromm that Hubris strikes true.

GreyWolfVT

#300 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Dalin shows Froed the key and decides to make use of it taking a look around first to make sure nobody is watching them.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”