Thatchum II - IC

Tamerlaine
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

Thatchum II - IC

#1 Post by Tamerlaine »

Here is where Spearmint and the new players will start.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Thatchum II - IC

#2 Post by Spearmint »

Felix

An elf from more rural parts of a neighbouring Duchy has travelled to Thatchum keen to investigate the magical mysteries of portions of a Mages Mountain that offer ancient arcane knowledge, gold, glory and probably an early death.

That last one he hopes to avoid clearly and though he has ventured cross country alone, he seeks able companions to share future risk and reward.

While he hopes to get his sticky fingers into the 'pie in the sky', it is the day gruel of finding 'meat on his plate while he waits ' that he has to attend to. Which means odd-jobbing and making-do while his experience and knowledge grows.

He arrives at the Thatchum gates, watching the workers and rampart Watchmen.

"I have two brace of fowl and a staff rack of jack-rabbits for the butcher." he calls, making his presence known.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by sastaz »

Where can I read about the setting and background? I don't have a clue what to write. Or can I make shops and NPCs up myself?

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Jernau35 »

Olo

A dwarf approaches the gate through the seemingly ever-present drizzle. He walks with a slight but noticable limp and leads a mule.

"Good day to yer..." Olo looks at the man's gorget and ventures a guess: ...Sergeant?"

"My name's Oloric and this brute here's called Nimble. My business here's threefold. To git out o' this rain. Then a hot meal an' a bed. But mostly to spread the word of Bormanus. I heard there's plenty o' folk here who've already taken the salt, but I reckon there's more who haven't yet been blessed."

Olo reaches into one of the pouches at his belt, pulling out a pinch of salt crystals. He offers some to the guard. "Blessings of Bormanus upon yer. Don't worry, it's salt. Nothing to fear unless yer a demon or the dead".
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#5 Post by Tamerlaine »

sastaz wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:50 am Where can I read about the setting and background? I don't have a clue what to write. Or can I make shops and NPCs up myself?
There’s a map of Thatchum on a separate thread and there’s some background in the original Thatchum IC thread now relabled The Gnoll Problem.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by sastaz »

Tamerlaine wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:07 pm
sastaz wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:50 am Where can I read about the setting and background? I don't have a clue what to write. Or can I make shops and NPCs up myself?
There’s a map of Thatchum on a separate thread and there’s some background in the original Thatchum IC thread now relabled The Gnoll Problem.
Ok, thanks. I'll read that and get to posting in a few hours.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by sastaz »

A young woman is suddenly standing next to Felix and Olo, although they could have sworn there was no one there five seconds ago. Her dress is immaculate, not a stain or grain of dust. She is not even that tanned.

Thorily

"Please good men, show me to the Ancients in the mountain. I am the one they've chosen, and now is the time. I am ready."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Spearmint »

Felix

Turns to the other new arrivals at the town gates, waiting with expectation to be let in. Strangely it has started to rain with the arrival of the dwarf.

Salt. "May I?" he asks, a little for seasoning and preserving his caught game.

Then a ray of sunshine. He must be getting careless for usually few folk are able to sneak upon him unawares. This oval faced, russet haired and comely wench. Young, but then all bar the dwarf look young in the elf's eyes. Though this one has a strange presence and a stranger way with words, demanding access into Thatchum alongside the duo.

As Olo holds up his salt crystals and he lifts his jack rabbits, he gets a cautious thought regarding any amorous advances. Perhaps hidden beneath her blue eyed visage is a vengeful spirit. Red heads do tend towards to a fiery disposition. 'Bunny boiler' comes to mind.

thawizkid
Runner
Runner

#9 Post by thawizkid »

As Adran trudges through the ever-present mud, when is this rain gonna let up anyway, he came to the gate of a rural city. He was dressed in his best chainmail and helmet, holding a mace and a shield. Although his armor had seen cleaner days, he knew that despite the caked on mud, it was still battleworthy when called upon. He was told by the priests in his church to make his way to Thatchum, because they had received divine inspiration from their Creator letting them know that Adran's services would be needed in there. As he arrived, he noticed three other individuals standing at the gate, probably requesting entrance. Maybe I was supposed to be here to meet these people at this very moment.....glad I decided not to stop for lunch! As he approached, he decided that it would be best to address the military contingent first. Looking to the soldier that looked to be the most experienced, he said, Seargent, I respectfully request entrance to your fine city. It has been foretold that I am needed here.

Speaking to the group as a whole, he introduced himself: I am Adran Galanodel, I have travelled two weeks to stand before you as it was foretold. I am humbly at your service.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Jernau35 »

Olo

Olo smiles as Felix asks for some of his salt. " 'Course yer can have some friend! Let's get that meat preserved by the gift of Bormanus " He digs a big handful of salt out of his pouch and hands it over. "An' take a pinch of it to bless yerself an' all."

When Thorily speaks up behind him, Olo almost jumps a foot in the air. "What the bl...?" He stares at her for at few moments then looks back at Felix. "You can see her too, right?" Once she starts to babble about 'Ancient Ones' and mountains, he takes a step back. "Girl, I've got no idea what yer talking about, or how yer even made it this far dressed like that. Were you goin' to a party or something? With the sergeant's permission, we can get yer inside somewhere warm".

Olo nods at Adran as he arrives. "Pleased to meet yer Adran Galanodel. I'm Oloric, though I go by Olo to most folks. I've taken the Salt of Bormanus myself an' I'm here to do his work. From the look of that symbol around yer neck, I reckon yer a holy man yerself. Who do you serve?"

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by sastaz »

Thorily, now quirky looking, eyes the others.

"Is this some kind of test? Very well then... Oloric, cleric of Bormanus, I greet you. And blessed be the salt. Yes, I'd like to come inside. And why, yes, I guess you could say I'm going to a party - my initiation."

She nods at Felix and Adran as well. "Elf. Brother." She then turns around and addresses the guard captain, loud and clear.

"Guardian! I seek entrance in order to visit the library and the mages' mountain where I shall master the arcane arts! Will thy grant it?"

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by Tamerlaine »

Felix, an elf keen on investigating the magical mysteries of the fabled drifting mountain arrives at last at the walled village of Thatchum. He offers a good number of fowl and jack-rabbits for the butcher.

“That there’s a good haul,” the watchman replies. “Best you take ‘em to the Wanton Wench. Trunna’s cooks will make good use of them. Sure she’ll give some renumeration in turn, yessir.”

Then a dwarf comes up, walking with a little stiffness in one leg. He’s leading a mule.

“Ain’t no good day at all and I ain’t no sergeant. No, no, sergeants don’t stand out ‘ere in this cold drizzle,” comes the retort. “No, sergeants sit on their lard-ass by the fire sipping mead.”

“Ah, a man of the Salt! You are welcome in Thatchum. Yes, very welcome. Thank you, Blessings of Bormanus to you too,” the Watchman replies, taking a pinch of the cleric's offering. Felix even takes a pinch.

“A hot meal and a bed can be found at the Wanton Wench.”

The ever persistent drizzle stops. The sun peeks out from behind the grey low scudding clouds.

Then suddenly a young human woman appears and makes a cryptic statement. She is impeccably dressed, her raiment spotless and free of the recent rain. Olo has a suspicion that this woman is not quite alright in the head.

Thorily introduces each other and makes a request of the Watchman.

“Erm, me myself...I, err, I can’t grant all that. I’m just a watchman. I can let you into Thatchum. As for a library, I know the wizards in that tower over there, they got some old books I hear. As fer the ‘mage’s mountain’ you speak of, them wizards might be of help as well.”

“Well, I can’t have you blocking the way so you can all just move along.” It’s clear to Felix and Oso there is no one for a good mile on the road to the village.

Actions?

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Jernau35 »

Olo

Olo nods at the guard. "Aye, that sounds like a sergeant alright". Then he turns to the others. "It looks like we're all headed to The Wanton Wench then. Dinner's on me, if you'll accept it."

Arriving at the Wanton Wench, he ties up Nimble the mule outside and goes in. He tosses some salt onto the threshold as he enters and says "Bormanus bless all here!" Then, calling to the server, he asks for drinks and a good meal for the newly arrived travellers.
Last edited by Jernau35 on Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Spearmint »

Felix

"Thank you guardsman." he says to the gatekeeper and walks in to the fortified village.

Finding the tavern he asks for Truuna or the cook and offers the game he has caught. "Freshly sourced and cleanly killed. The hares are free of ticks so you can be confident they are Myxomatosis free and the meat is good. Especially good cooked in red wine and stuffed in pastry." he takes whatever copper or silver coins are offered which he will spend on ales and a room overnight.

Taking up the offer the share a table with the salty priest and the red haired wench.

"I must confess I know little of this region save rumour and gossip. Wizards in a tower. Hope they are more scholarly sages than crazed hermits."

thawizkid
Runner
Runner

#15 Post by thawizkid »

Adran

Replying to the guardsman, Adran says I hear you .... usually those with a little power let it go to their heads. May you be different when you get to that point in your career.....

Responding to Oso, that is incredibly kind of you, Sir. I will gladly accept and promise to return the favor at a later date. Smiling to nobody in particular, Adran thoughtfully says, I'm fairly certain that I will get that chance too .... after all, we all showed up here at this place at the very same time .... we must be destined to combine forces.

As he entered Thatchum, he looks around at his surroundings, taking note of any important shops, inns, public offices, etc. He also tries to get a look at the city's defenses and its standing army Just in case I might need to be of service at some time in the near future.

Then he asks the group So what brought you all here .... fame and glory, or something else? As I said earlier, all I know is that it was foretold that I needed to be here and I came.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by sastaz »

Thorily follows the others to the Wanton Wench in silence, watching the buildings and people intensely as the pass by.

When they are seated at the table and have ordered something to drink she finally joins the conversation.

"Felix, do you know about the WIzard's tower? Where is it located? Is it in this town, inside the walls? I was not told."

She nods at Adran's remark.

"Destined, yes, of course. I was foretold as well Adran. Or, more like, chosen. That's why I'm here, I'm chosen to study with the ancients in the Wizard's tower! You were not informed? That's strange. Well, who am I to question the wisdom of the elders. Why are you all here then?"

He quirkyness aside, she comes out as extremely well spoken and polite. She must have had some kind of upbringing or schooling in social skills at the least.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Spearmint »

Felix

"I think it is that tall rickety looking place near the gates. There is a Temple here. Should check that out too, maybe the priests also have missions they hire explorers for."

After a welcoming beer he will take a look around Thatchum, meeting and greeting locals and seeing where merchants set up their market stalls, what craftsmen work here and any bulletin board that might be advertising a need for help.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Jernau35 »

Olo

After the meal and some drinks, Olo asks the proprietor about a room for the night and sets about negotiating a suitable price.

Once that's done, he asks a few more questions of the host. "I have a mule outside. Does your fine establishment come with a stable? I'd like to keep him warm and well fed before we head back out to spread the Salt wherever it's needed".

"Talking o' which... would yer happen to know if any of yer customers might like to earn a salary as a mule guard?"

Olo will pay 5gp for the meal, drinks & a room. (If that's a suitable price)

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by sastaz »

Thorily will tag along as Felix "hits the streets". If the possibility arises, she will ask people about the wizard's tower, who lives there and any rumors they might have heard. Especially if they seem to be accepting novice students at the moment.

"Cities really reek, don't they?", she asks Felix rethorically.

thawizkid
Runner
Runner

#20 Post by thawizkid »

Once they have finished their meal and beers, Adran will take a look around the establishment. He will see if there are any symbols on the wall or on the patron's clothing that indicate his beloved church of St Ygg. After that, he will ask the nearest barkeeper or waitress if there happens to be a church of St Ygg established in the area. If he is able to determine that one is here, he might be able to go to it and see if they will give him room and board - and if they have need of his services. In the meantime, when he hears Olo trying to negotiate for a room for the night, Adran will offer Mr Olo, I would gladly pay for half of the room for at least tonight, if you want to split the room? As for tomorrow, I am hoping to possibly find a Church of St Ygg to possibly get room and board....

Return to “Highfell: The Drifting Dungeon (LL)”