Advancement / Experience

Rex
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Advancement / Experience

#1 Post by Rex »

In this thread I will reward Skill Maintenance Points (SMP) and Piety Points (PP) on the 10th, 20th, and 30th of each month.

Piety will be rewarded as follows:
Algrim and Turnip will get 2 PP each on each 10 day.
Arngeir and Idril will 5 PP each on each 10 day.
Special rewards for Piety are possible based on play. This will cover daily prayer, meditation, etc.

Play started on the 7th of Kelen.
Rex wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:42 am Advancement / Skill Development

Unlike other RPGs HM does not have levels, HP or special powers based on levels.

A Skill development roll is a 1d100+the Skills SB (1d100+SB)
If the result of the roll is greater then the current Skill ML the Skill ML increases by 1.

A Skill Maintenance Points = SMP
10 SMP can be spent to attempt improve any Physical, Communication, Craft/Lore Skill or a Combat Skill lower then the higher of SBx5 or ML 70. One Skill Development roll is granted per 10 SMP spent
15 SMP can be spent to attempt improve any Magic, Psionic, or Ritual Skill lower then the higher of SBx5 or ML 70.

Skills get better through 4 different ways.

1. Holy/Magic Tome, this is the rarest method.

2. Practice/Study
A character receives Will SMP per week (a Harnic week is 10 days), they must be spent within a month.

3. Employment and Instruction
A character receives 1 SMP per 4 hours of employment by a Master with a higher ML, they must be spent within a month.
A character receives 1 SMP per 1 hour of instruction by a Teacher (ML at least 20 points higher then the student), they must be spent within a month.

Stressful/Bonus Experience
4. A character is awarded a Skill development roll any time they obtain a CS or CF result with a Skill test under a stressful situation (DM is the call on what a stressful situation is).
The DM may award multiple Skill Development rolls for extraordinary feats.

Note that Stressful/Bonus Experience and Magic are the only ways that Combat, Magic, Psionic, and Ritual Skills can be improved past the higher of ML 70 or SBx5.

Max Skill ML is 100+SB for all Skills except Combat Skills
For Combat Skills Max ML is the lower of 100+SB or Initiative+SB

New Skills can be opened per each individual Skills description. Certain Skills automatically open at OML under specific conditions (drowning opens Swimming at OML and all Combat Skills open in real Combat at OML for example).
Any Veteran (ML of 80+ in Initiative) opens Combat Skills at OML+1.

Dormant Psionic Talents can gain Skill Development Rolls and thus become Active from certain triggering events.
Spells must be researched, learned from a Mentor, or found in a Spell Book, Sanctum Wall etc.
Ritual Invocations must be Learned from a Mentor, Holy Text, or Divine Inspiration

Holy Items, Magic items, Power, Psionic Items, and Wealth can all be accumulated and/or spent to better yourself.
Last edited by Rex on Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Advancement / Experience

#2 Post by Rex »

10 Kelen

I used the higher of Int or Will.

Algrim 16 SMP, 2 PP
Arngeir 16 SMP, 5 PP
Idril 14 SMP, 5 PP
Turnip 17 SMP, 2 PP

Updated to reflect the new totals and add SMP:

Arngeir Orlygsson: Inj (none), FL 0, BL 0, PP 85, Uni Pen (0/0), Phy Pen (4/-20), SMP 16, Move 3, Spc: Carrying backpack, Awareness +1, Psychometry +1
Algrim Tirion: Inj (none), FL 0, BL 0, PP 19, Uni Pen (0), Phy Pen (3/-15), SMP 16, Move 10, Spc: Carrying backpack, Awareness +1, skill improvement roll for survival
Idril Nagfly: Inj (none), FL 0, BL 0, PP 80, Uni Pen (0/0), Phy Pen (3/-15), SMP 14, Move 6, Spc: Carrying backpack, Physician ML now 53. Sensitivity ML now 31, Awareness +1
Turnip: Inj (none), FL 0, BL 0, PP 21, Uni Pen (0), Phy Pen (0/0), SMP 17, Move 15, Spc: Carrying backpack

Please update your sheets, SMP can go under notes until spent. We can do Skill improvement rolls here for SMP. Keep in mind the lower a skill is the more likely it will improve. As always please feel free to ask questions.

Ed you owe me a Skill improvement roll for Survival as well.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by shaidar »

OK, I'm going to spend 15 points to try and improve psionic healing (leaving 1 pt)

My target is 32 (SB is 16):
Percentage: [1d100]=3
ARRGH!!!
:cry:

OK, so I've updated my character sheet with new piety points, leftover SMP and the existing skill updates (awareness & psychometry). The new sheet has a different name, and I've kept a link to the old sheet at the bottom of my character sheet post so we can track changes.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by sastaz »

I'm currently on vaccation in Germany (yes, I've had beer and cake :) ) so I will update the sheet in a week once I get home to my computer.

But let's try to advance Prescience (which was probably used to find the others)

Target is ML 30 and SB is 15.

Development roll vs 30 [1d100+15]=96+15=111

Ok so will increase to ML 31 leaving 2 SMP.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Pulpatoon »

Here's my sheet, which—I think—has been properly updated. Do I have enough SMP's to try advancing something?

Idril Nagfly.pdf

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

Idril can try for any skill other then Ritual and Psionics. If she saves them she will be able to try to improve Ritual or a psionic talent on the 20th.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#7 Post by GreyWolfVT »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:08 am ok, I guess folklore....

Non-Combat Skill Roll [1d100]=48
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Pulpatoon »

Idril will sit on her points for now.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rex »

Algrim's Folklore goes up 1 to 40. You needed a 27 or higher to go up. You can go ahead and update your sheet if you didn't already.

Idril is holding, got it.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rex »

Awards for Kelen 10, 20, and 30th
Algrim 48 SMP
Arngeir 48 SMP

Awards for Kelen 20 and 30th
Murgar 36 SMP
Turnip 28 SMP

Awards for Kelen 30th
Sir Gerolt 16 SMP
Volin 20 SMP

Keep in mind that using skills of all types is the best way to improve them and you can boost SMP by practicing them, studying about them, and training with someone better than you. See the first post in this thread.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Leitz »

Rex wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:13 pm Awards for Kelen 30th
Sir Gerolt 16 SMP

Keep in mind that using skills of all types is the best way to improve them and you can boost SMP by practicing them, studying about them, and training with someone better than you. See the first post in this thread.
Given what I've been thinking about Gerolt's development, he'll probably wait until he's back in Burzyn, and get some advice on his plan. So, saving the 16 SMP.

GreyWolfVT

#12 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Rex I'll defer to asking for your guidane as to where might bet the best places to put the SMP for Algrim.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rex »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:14 pm Rex I'll defer to asking for your guidane as to where might bet the best places to put the SMP for Algrim.
I would go with one of or a combination of Language - Harnic (48), Stealth (56) and/or Awareness (65). You could also go with one of his craft skills, you may need those in rebuilding the outpost but the 3 I listed are more useful in general. Stealth might be the best one to work on.

GreyWolfVT

#14 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Alright. I'll definately work on Stealth then. I think I'll also use a bit of SMP on his metalcraft and woodcraft. I'd just go with an even split. I think Awareness might also be useful or the language bit if we find more stuff that would require him reading Harnic.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rex »

Keep in mind speaking and reading/writing are 2 different skills. You can speak and read/write Dwarven (Khuzan and Runic) but only speak Harnic. To read/write Harnic you would need to learn the Lakise script. I would open fairly high but I would probably leave it for someone else to cover.

GreyWolfVT

#16 Post by GreyWolfVT »

ah ok well then forget adding anything into that. Metalcraft, woodcraft, awareness and stealth is where I will split it into.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Rex »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:31 pm ah ok well then forget adding anything into that. Metalcraft, woodcraft, awareness and stealth is where I will split it into.
Metalcraft SB 18 ML 72 so roll 1d100+18, a 73+ goes up to 73
Note that as a Master Blacksmith he would be considered average or 3 star, not bad for a Journeyman Locksmith
Woodcraft SB 17 ML 51 so roll 1d100+17, a 52+ goes up to 52
Note that as a Master Carpenter/Woodworker he would be considered poor or 1 star, still better than most human Journeyman Locksmiths who wouldn't even be poor
Awareness SB 13 ML 65 so roll 1d100+13, a 66+ goes up to 66
Stealth SB14 ML 56 so roll 1d100+14, a 57 goes up to 58

Obviously the worse you are at a skill the more likely you are to get better and the higher your SB (your natural talent in that skill) the more likely you are to get better.

GreyWolfVT

#18 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rex »

Not bad. Metalcraft and Awareness went up. I updated your sheet and will post it in Algrim's Forum.

GreyWolfVT

#20 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Thank you Rex!

Return to “Rex's HarnWorld Campaign (HarnMaster Sandbox)”