Law of the Gun OOC

jemmus
Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Law of the Gun OOC

#381 Post by Thumper »

Yes it was! Why, ya gonna learn ya ride aggressively? You teach me to Fast Draw, I’ll teach ya to ride. Deal?

Any experience gained here? Any experience to William for using his skill to teach DT to Fast Draw?

BTW, I like the contest constructs you create, Jemmus. The cost benefit of total and individual events is pretty cool.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#382 Post by Thumper »

Let’s see if I got this right:

Near term- looks like all PCs want to spend Saturday in/around Austin (‘cept Paladin, of course)…keep the band together and start out Sunday morning. I presume that since RedWarrior and CyberSavant both posted during the debate and no either listed a preference.

Are all agreed that Burnet is our next group destination?
Last edited by Thumper on Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#383 Post by redwarrior »

William definitely wants to have the team together when we set out, and is happy to wait a night to do it. Yes

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#384 Post by jemmus »

I haven't seen anything about pro bounty hunters in the Time-Life books. But it does seem that it was lawmen who usually collected the rewards. The got rewards for all kinds of things. For example, shooting a stray dog was typically worth $2. And they got to keep fines for various offenses. The towns and counties didn't much want to pay them salaries.

Another interesting thing is criminals would switch over being lawmen, and back. Some of them rustled and robbed while still holding office. They tended to get lynched by posses, though.

Sorry for the delay posting. US ate a long post I drafted last evening. Seems it might be better to break a long post into a few short ones.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#385 Post by Rex »

If I know it is going to be a long post I write it in word.

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#386 Post by Thumper »

Timing out on a reply is a problem. When that happens, I just copy the drafted text in the “failed to post” site to which US takes me. Go back to the thread, reselect “reply” then paste the text and submit. Works great.

It happens a lot since I do a lot of my posting while on the road traveling for work using my phone.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#387 Post by jemmus »

Ah. US automatically sends you to a "Failed to post" page? I haven't seen that one yet. From now on, I'll just compose in Notepad. The freeware word processor app I've been using has failed to save a couple of times.
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#388 Post by jemmus »

Thumper wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:35 pm Yes it was! Why, ya gonna learn ya ride aggressively? You teach me to Fast Draw, I’ll teach ya to ride. Deal?

Any experience gained here? Any experience to William for using his skill to teach DT to Fast Draw?

BTW, I like the contest constructs you create, Jemmus. The cost benefit of total and individual events is pretty cool.
William didn't have the Riding skill, so the result seems fairly decided from the start. So arguably no experience should be gained. But since failed rolls could have resulted in DT losing time and losing losing the race, there was some risk involved. So experience for the successful rolls will be awarded.
PCs

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#389 Post by Thumper »

That first OOC was not real clear. It shoulda bee phrased as an "in the future" question. Seems to me that one almost always learns or reinforces ones knowledge by teaching.

Just curious.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#390 Post by jemmus »

That makes sense to me. But Boot Hill doesn't provide a game mechanic for learning from another character. (The other game system I'm GMing does do that, and I think it works out pretty well). In BH, new skills come from earning 250 XP (I believe). Since we're playing the 3rd edition of the game, I hesitate to tweak things much with house rules variations. This set of rules must have been decided on after extensive experience playing the first two. Some unforeseen play balance upset could emerge, after we've all spent a lot of time invested in the game. "Might not be prudent." -Pres. Herb Bush on SNL
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#391 Post by jemmus »

Replies to Paladin's questions above

To help me keep track of things as they get complicated, are these notes right?

Mike Duncan - in prison Correct.
Paladin killed one of the brothers in the rustler house shoot out. The other, or someone, was injured riding away and could be dead:
Rick Duncan - brother Killed at the rustlers house (in the pasture, while mounted).
Phil Duncan - brother Same as Rick.

Mark “Slim” Davidson - in prison Correct.
Mort Garrison - accomplice. Do we know where he is from? San Marcos? Correct. He was shot a few times during the rustlers house pasture fight, but escaped on horseback to the northeast. No information has been shared about where he's from.
Ed Mathers - accomplice. Do we know where he is from? San Marcos? Same, no information about where he was from. William and Gideon killed him (overkilled him :)) inside the rustlers house.

Colorado River station ranch house, whitewashed, wire fence, sparse longhorn cattle, lopsided windmill. Owners:
Lou - leader. Last name? Unknown.
Farley - ?Unknown. But those names appeared in the letter found in the late Rick Duncan's saddleback. viewtopic.php?p=651752#p651752 Paladin gave it to the Rangers captain, but made a copy.

Shepherd Brothers - Stage robbers, murderers. Possibly reside in Llano County. Do we know their names? DT believes that Lou's and Farley's family name is Shepherd. Because the letter a "Louis" wrote was addressed to a Harriet Shepherd(?)

Phineas McLaury - Killer, robber, Gideon brother. Gideon is convinced that the murdering "Phineas" mentioned in the Louis and Farley letter is his brother Phineas, last name McLaury.

Harvey Adler - cattleman, minister, horse rustler buyer. Does business with King Fisher? It was said that he's a deacon on the Baptist church, rather than a minister. That would make him a church elder who helps make decisions about the church's operations. Decent people in Texas towns tend to be devout, so being a deacon is a prominent community leadership position. Davidson said that Adler has a rustled horse handling "station" in Comal County, south of San Marcos.

From the newspapers, "King" Fisher is known for rustling cattle from the big haciendas in Mexico. He crosses the Rio Grande River international border into Texas with them. He's kind of a folk hero in South Texas, because he's generous and seen as kind of a Robin Hood. Also, the Texas Revolution and later Mexican-American War were only 30-40 years ago, and tension with Mexico is high. Most Texans see Mexican nationals as "bad guys"-- particular the rich, high-living hacienda owners. Mexican bandidos crossing the border don't help things.

The Bexar County Cattlemen's Association has offered a reward for King Fisher. Bexar ("Bay-er") County is San Antonio's county. Apparently King has caused them some trouble, even though San Antonio over 150 miles from his usual territory around the Mexican border. It's only 40 miles from San Antonio to Adler's Comal County, so it seems possible that Fisher and Adler could be in cooperation. But the PCs haven't seen or heard any evidence about that.

Reminder that NPCs' information is on the scabard site for the game. https://www.scabard.com/pbs/campaign/2374880 But some NPCs' information is hidden from players, of course.
PCs

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#392 Post by Grognardsw »

jemmus wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:33 pm Wow. Jimmy was pretty cool.

Slight spoiler for Winchester '73. The main character is kind of the rifle. The story revolves around it and t ends up travelling all around the Old West. It's an interesting concept for a story, I thought.

I watched Winchester ‘73. I appreciate the shooting derby more now. I like how they had western notables like Wyatt Earp and Bat Masteron mixed in. Let’s hope Paladin’s One in a Thousand doesn’t change hands so much.

Thanks for the NPC notes clarifications.

Yes Burnet is a good next step.

I’ve posted in the “Have Gun Will Travel” solo thread for San Marcos departure. I’m happy posting more frequently to move things along so the party action isn’t slowed down.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#393 Post by jemmus »

Yes, the shooting contest in Austin was directly lifted from the idea of the "Winchester '73" movie. I like the idea of it so much, it's more like a tribute. The story revolves around a shooting contest, the prize rifle, and how it goes from hand to hand and bad deed to bad deed from there. All around the prime scenarios of the Old West. You guys in the Austin bar after the shooting contest foiled the obvious first bad deed attempt. Brawl, beating, knifing or shooting inside or more likely outside of an Austin bar. Every one of crew played a part toward defusing the situation.
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#394 Post by jemmus »

Don't forget to update your sheets with the $35 Wells Fargo advance pay.
PCs

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#395 Post by Grognardsw »

Even if posting daily (if Jemmus can do that pace), I think Paladin’s San Marcos trip will idle the rest of you. Feel free to go ahead with Burnett, or get up to some Saturday shenanigans in Austin. Paladin can catch up to you, just leave a message at the Drover Hotel where you go and where to meet.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#396 Post by ateno »

My mother passed, had to go to her house and get ready for estate sale and realtor.

Had bro and cousin helping, went well, home last night

Thumper
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#397 Post by Thumper »

Sorry to hear. That’s always difficult … and busy.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#398 Post by Rex »

Sorry to hear that Ateno, you have my condolences.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#399 Post by jemmus »

Very sorry to hear, ateno.
PCs

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#400 Post by redwarrior »

Ateno, so sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Return to “Law of the Gun (Boot Hill 3e)”