[002] Up the trail in search of the tiger

ffilz
Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [002] Up the trail in search of the tiger

#101 Post by Starbeard »

I'll try to catch up and give my skill input hopefully over the weekend.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: [001] The Adventure Starts

#102 Post by ffilz »

So what action do you want to take to report on what has transpired?

In the morning, after dawn prayers, Bankei is able to identify the sake as a healing potion, 2 doses of Cure Serious Wounds. Bankei can use additional Spell Points in the morning to continue to heal Kiyoshi with his own magic. The healing potion can be split in two if you have a suitable container.

The swords and armor seem to have nothing beyond basic weapon and armor enchantments. Bankei is not able to determine their strength (he doesn't have the spell), but his Bless Weapon spell is sufficiently close to be able to discern that they are weapon enchantments.

Having cast Detect Magic IV in the morning (using 1 Spell Point), Bankei will be able to maintain it so long as he retains at least 24 MP. It costs nothing by concentration to use (this is one of the aspects of Cold Iron magic I really love - the ability to maintain some spells indefinitely).
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by jemmus »

Kiyoshi
Should we go back to the temple to report that the "tiger" is no more? We could retrieve our horses as well.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by Starbeard »

Sorry to take so long. Ezo will boost Dex, Kenjutsu A & P, Dodge, Bow and Hand-to-Hand.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Starbeard »

Ezo
"Yes, let's get the mounts. Unless the priest has rituals to perform at the shrine, we should head down the mountain and show these spoils to the magistrate. He will be pleased, no doubt. But let's go with caution, there is still an o-bake running about the woods."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Marullus »

After collecting the warriors' horses, Bankei asks to stay overnight at the shrine, greeting the sun in the morning and seeming much refreshed. He identifies the items for the warriors, holding onto the potion until it can be appropriately divided. Looking upon the world with fresh eyes, he sees the shrine anew.

I will cast Detect Magic and maintain it free. I will re-look all areas of the shrine before we head down the mountain in case there are further discoveries here with such insight.

If I can cast healing magic without taking myself that I can't maintain Detect Magic, I will heal Kiyoshi in the morning as well.

If that avails no new discovery, he's happy to go down the mountain to report the death of the priest, the mystery of the shrine, and the slaying of the Oni, letting the warriors present the head. He also seeks to buy a second container so the potion can be divided and half carried by each warrior.

Do the warriors don their new magical armor and weapons?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Marullus »

ffilz wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:24 pm It will take me a bit to add Bankei's 4th level spells and suggest new memorization. With access to Detect Magic IV he will be able to do more to identify the magic items.
Are there any choices to be made for Bankei? (I trust your recommendations, anyway. You can just implement any obviously-right choices.)

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by jemmus »

I'll take GM's suggestion for Kiyoshi's skill increases. And augment CON rather than DEX (though DEX is tempting).
PCs

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Starbeard »

Ezo adopts the armor and ceremoniously puts it on, packing his own against the horse's saddle.

He begins to look around for soft leaves to pad their sleeping area in the shrine for the night.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by jemmus »

Kiyoshi examines the blade of the oni's katana and admires the artful kiri (fog) pattern along its honed edge. "Even an oni can have good taste?" he thinks. He takes the katana from his sash and replaces it with the oni's.

GM said that Kiyoshi is strong enough to use the katana. The wakizashi too?
PCs

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#111 Post by ffilz »

jemmus wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:42 pm Kiyoshi examines the blade of the oni's katana and admires the artful kiri (fog) pattern along its honed edge. "Even an oni can have good taste?" he thinks. He takes the katana from his sash and replaces it with the oni's.

GM said that Kiyoshi is strong enough to use the katana. The wakizashi too?
The Wakizashi is too big to use with the size katana either of the bushi use. You would have to use a lighter katana to use the wakizashi and then your katana would not be the optimal weight for you (there's some weapon weight interactions that feel to me like they work out nicely, where each character has an ideal weight katana and wakizashi though other combinations may be used).

Now there IS a case where Kiyoshi could benefit from the Oni's wakizashi - if he gets +2 STR (Bankei COULD cast it - though that uses a lot of his Spell Points, or you could seek out STR potions or charged items) then he could wield the magic wakizashi.

I do need to consider the effects of mismatched enchantments on dai-sho...
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#112 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:58 pm After collecting the warriors' horses, Bankei asks to stay overnight at the shrine, greeting the sun in the morning and seeming much refreshed. He identifies the items for the warriors, holding onto the potion until it can be appropriately divided. Looking upon the world with fresh eyes, he sees the shrine anew.

I will cast Detect Magic and maintain it free. I will re-look all areas of the shrine before we head down the mountain in case there are further discoveries here with such insight.

If I can cast healing magic without taking myself that I can't maintain Detect Magic, I will heal Kiyoshi in the morning as well.

If that avails no new discovery, he's happy to go down the mountain to report the death of the priest, the mystery of the shrine, and the slaying of the Oni, letting the warriors present the head. He also seeks to buy a second container so the potion can be divided and half carried by each warrior.

Do the warriors don their new magical armor and weapons?
The healing spells just require spell points and no MP, so you can heal in the morning and keep Detect Magic running. One Cure Light Wounds (1 spell point) may be all you need. Kiyoshi is down 8, CLW does 1d6+2. Cast one and if you roll really low on the 1d6+2 decide if you want to bother with a 2nd casting. Oh, and between natural healing and first aid attention from Bankei, Kiyoshi will heal 2 over night, so in the morning there's only 6 left to heal, almost certainly just one CLW..

Detect Magic doesn't reveal anything else in the shrine.

You descend back down to the temple. The temple is still empty save for the ghost. I assume Bankei will want to engage the ghost in conversation?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by Marullus »

Heal and stuff [1d1000]=561 [1d6+2]=5+2=7

Returning to the ghost of the hapless and terrified farmer, Bankei bows humbly, then points to the tiger-faced oni's head that his companions carry as he speaks. "All is at rest, farmer-san.... you see, the tiger is slain by these brave bushi. It no longer prowls any field or threatens any people.
Your warning was carried well, and you have done the good deed. All is acomplished and because of your good work. You can rest now, and I will pray for the benefit of your soul."

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#114 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:06 pm Heal and stuff [1d1000]=561 [1d6+2]=5+2=7

Returning to the ghost of the hapless and terrified farmer, Bankei bows humbly, then points to the tiger-faced oni's head that his companions carry as he speaks. "All is at rest, farmer-san.... you see, the tiger is slain by these brave bushi. It no longer prowls any field or threatens any people.
Your warning was carried well, and you have done the good deed. All is acomplished and because of your good work. You can rest now, and I will pray for the benefit of your soul."
Thank you good priest. What has become of my wife? She must know that she is safe now.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Marullus »

Bankei turns silently and looks to the bushi. While turned away he gives them his best 'can you believe this guy?' look.

He turns back to the farmer's ghost. Can you lead the way to show us to her, farmer-san?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#116 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:15 pm Bankei turns silently and looks to the bushi. While turned away he gives them his best 'can you believe this guy?' look.

He turns back to the farmer's ghost. Can you lead the way to show us to her, farmer-san?
The ghost, much calmer now that the "tiger" has been taken care of, leads the way back up the mountain. Does everyone follow? Any preparations as you follow?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Marullus »

Bankei follows, plodding along and holding the rope of his little donkey.

I still have Detect Magic going. Does that also see ghosts?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#118 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:14 pm Bankei follows, plodding along and holding the rope of his little donkey.

I still have Detect Magic going. Does that also see ghosts?
No Detect Magic doesn't see ghosts (there is a 6th level spell Read Magic Aura that would - hmm, i don't think there's anything combined... there should probably be...).

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Starbeard »

Marullus wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:15 pm Bankei turns silently and looks to the bushi. While turned away he gives them his best 'can you believe this guy?' look.
:lol:
ffilz wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:21 pm The ghost, much calmer now that the "tiger" has been taken care of, leads the way back up the mountain. Does everyone follow? Any preparations as you follow?
Ezo follows along, with his bow strung and ready for use. He keeps an eye out for goblins and general movement in the trees.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by jemmus »

Kiyoshi also follows along leading his horse, dai-kyu ready. He young bushi, ambitious to earn a reputation in the world, has the oni's head trophy slung from his saddle.
PCs

Return to “Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron)”