jemmus
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 3rd Scroll - God of Thunder

#121 Post by jemmus »

Turn 5
Buru remains prone.
Y2 charges Buru, will attack on Phase 2.
Y3 hits prone Buru for 2 subdual.
Y5 stands from prone after being knocked down by an ox.
Y6 misses P2.
Buru stands from prone.
Quick-thinking Drover had a good Wit roll and pursues (charges) Y2, who is charging Buru.
P2 misses Y6.
P3 misses Y7.
P4 stands from prone after being knocked down by an ox.
Y5 misses drover.
Y6 misses P2.
Y7 misses P3.
Buru misses Y3.
Y2 completes his charge and ends at Buru's right side, close range. Hits with his wakizashi for 6 lethal damage.
Drover finishes his charge and ends at Y2's rear. 1 - Critical success. 8 - Special effect. 20 - Target is killed outright.

Turn finished.

Buru is at 18 HP. 7 subdual damage, 6 lethal. He's up for next actions.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by Marullus »

Grateful that (y2) has been incapacitated, Buru turns his attention to the other Yakuza (y3)...

Phase 13:
No movement needed to close.

Base Atemi-Tonfa: Strike (base BCS 19) [1d20]=1 [1d10+3]=8+3=11+[1d3]=2 Second Strike (base BCS 9) [1d20]=3 [1d10+3]=7+3=10+[1d3]=1
That'sa critical hit!
Critical hit [1d10]=1[1d20]=19
So a double damage hit: 13x2 = 26.
Then a secondary strike for 11.

Phase 8:
Assuming that damage took out Y2, he can move on this phase as a primary action to reach another opponent...

Base Atemi-Tonfa: Strike (base BCS 19) [1d20]=19 [1d10+3]=10+3=13+[1d3]=1 Second Strike (base BCS 9) [1d20]=17 [1d10+3]=5+3=8+[1d3]=1
...but alas.

Phase 4:

(Secondary Action) Atemi-Tonfa Attack (base BCS 9) [1d20]=18 [1d10+3]=9+3=12+[1d3]=3

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by jemmus »

In rapid succession, the ox driver plunges his work knife through a yakuza's back, piercing the heart, and Buru's tonfa crush another's solar plexus and strike the body again as it falls back. A thug calls out, It's no good! Run away!. This time no one disputes. The three men turn for the doorway.

Their BAP is 10. They start running in BAP 5, the same turn the porters act.
Buru and Drover are too far away from any targets.
P2 hits Y6 from the back for 3 damage.
Y7's AC3 clothing saves him from P3's attack from the back.

The men run from the dark, flame-lit room and out into snowy moonlit street. An ox there lows. The lead man looks left and right, turns right toward the east, and runs. The two others follow.

Inside the warehouse, the bodies of battered and slashed men on the floor. The yakuza the ox driver stabbed lies in a spreading pool of blood, dead. The once-insolent lead gangster lies faceup and mouth open, breathing with weak and faint breaths. Another thug lies facedown and another twisted on his side. Both unconscious, but alive. The haulers' foreman and two other porters are in similar conditions. Bruised, horribly bludgeoned, unconscious. But breathing still.

Hiroshi lies in a pool of his own blood, the silk cords of his o-yoroi slowly soaking it up, katana fallen from his hand. He's suffered a grievous wakizashi wound, almost to the death. But he lives.

The porters watch the yakuza flee. It seems to Buru that they consider giving chase, but the criminals have a head start, and they're quick. The laborers look around the situation in the room and take just a few moments to catch their breath. Yosh, dekita. Yojimba-san-tachi no tameh ni. The porters bow to Buru. They seem to consider bowing to unconscious Hiroshi also, but seem not to know the protocol of that and uncertainly rub the backs of their necks and wonder.

A couple of minutes later, Akemi appears at the doorway in a loose costume of all white, her left hand on something at her waist. She hurriedly glances around the room, and it seems to Buru that her eyes may be blinded from the nighttime whiteness outside, the interior darkness inside, and glowing and flickering light of flames in an iron kettle. Hiroshi! Buru! Call out for where you need help now! But a few seconds, Haruto arrives.

The drover continues. Ashita wa, mata shigoto da. Ushi wa, daijobi da, makashite. Areh wa johbu dayoh. Demo, dan-cho wa taoreh. Do shiyo?

Sorry, for color, I wanted to show how how people of Nippon at the regular, not samurai or kuge noble, talk. Here it is in English.

Well! We did it. Thanks to the yojimbo sirs.
Tomorrow is work again. The oxen are alright, leave it to me. They're tough, don't worry. But the foreman is toppled from his feet. What do we do?

Actions? This night on the road to the Raijin shrine, far to the east in the Kanto.
PCs

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#124 Post by ffilz »

Taisho will set about healing those who need it, starting with Hiroshi.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Marullus »

Buru steps back, his anger still simmering just below the surface at these men, preying others. He helps Hiroshi and the Foreman if he can, but defers to the incoming men of piety when they arrive. With allies being cared for, he then goes and ties up the leader of the yakuza, not gentle as he does so. He points the porters to the other felled yakuza that they may do the same.

Haruto, arriving as the noble pilgrim, looks over the scene with horror and sorrow. As Taisho goes to Hiroshi, he redirects to the Foreman, praying for the intervention of the Buddha to aid and restore him.
Pious Layman, basic healing once per day as a Gakusho.
Basic Healing [2d6]=11

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#126 Post by ffilz »

Taisho dispensing a bunch of healing, he will heal Hiroshi until he's reasonably up and then dispense healing to others that need it:

So that's a 2, fail, 8, 8 for a total of 18 if all used on Hiroshi, with 8 power used.

Let me know if we need more.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by jemmus »

18 takes Hiroshi to 22 of 24 HP.
Buru has 18 of 31 HP.
The foreman is at -6.
Porter 1 and Porter 4 are at -1.
The drover is at 2 HP.
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by Marullus »

so Haruto takes the Foreman from -6 to +5?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#129 Post by ffilz »

OK, healing on the NPCs, apply success in order of foreman (until he's positive), porter 1, porter 4:

Mass heal BCS 11 - wounds [1d20]=20[2d6]=9[1d20]=4[2d6]=9[1d20]=6[2d6]=7[1d20]=12[2d6]=4

Looks like foreman is healed 9, porter 1 7

How much power does a failed heal use? (And for the future, a failed blessing).

I applied 6 power (or does power = knowledge/10 round down - knowledge 55) per each of 3 blessings (covering 6 people) - in the future we need to make one roll per 2 people...

Healing is normally 2 power, but Taisho has failed 3 so far. If failed still uses 2 power, then Taisho is down to 3.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#130 Post by ffilz »

Oh, if Baru takes care of the foreman, then porter 4 gets 9.

Does anyone have bandages (recall that Taisho does not because of Shinto taboo...).

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by jemmus »

If I remember correctly, we determined that failed spells don't deplete power. Which seemed over-generous to me at the time. But maybe the idea is that a failed spell costs time, which in hyperactive Bushido sometimes could mean a lot.
PCs

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#132 Post by ffilz »

OK, if failed spells don't use power, then Taisho has 9 remaining power.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by jemmus »

Along the way, Taisho and the travelers have observed that the porters have a kind of sundry supplies box for the hauling crew. It hangs from one side of the lead ox, behind a bigger trunk that's full of goods. Once, the screw of a shoulder-borne trunk started pulling through the wood, from all of the up and down bouncing of the trotting footsteps along the highway. Two porters dug through the box, produced a drill and a screw, and debated about whether to replace the old screw with a new one.

The foreman carefully examined the old screw. In the end, he placed it into the box and handed the new one to the two men with the drill. "Put in the new one," he said. "'Replacing old with old is foolishness and is a habit that will only lead to poverty in the end.'" Taisho and Haruto both recognized that as a Shinto way of thinking. "Anyway, our yojimbo and their friends are on a pilgrimage to the Raijin shrine in the Kanto. Very dangerous, every day. What was the boss thinking?" He twirled his fingers around the side of his temple, raised them upward, and suddenly splayed the fingers and made a face. The porters all burst out laughing.

"Head like a green pepper. Strong on the outside, empty space inside."

That was days ago, outside under the flat gray winter skies, on the downward highway to the border of Kai.
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by Marullus »

jemmus wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:57 pm If I remember correctly, we determined that failed spells don't deplete power. Which seemed over-generous to me at the time. But maybe the idea is that a failed spell costs time, which in hyperactive Bushido sometimes could mean a lot.
RAW, any failed spell costs only 1 power. A successful spell costs the full cost of power. A critically-failed spell costs the full power (and fails).

I don't think we modified that.

After tying up the loudmouth yakuza, Buru checks the porter's ropes to ensure the other yakuza are bound well, too.
No rolls needed to bind-up unconscious foes.

Haruto waits in support of Taisho, willing to call upon the powers of Earth to mend wounds as well if needed... it is far more costly for the shugenja, but suitable when the Gakusho tires.
Please clarify if we have enough healing. If not, I can spend at much higher cost for more rolls. I can't see my sheet or roll right now... I don't remember if Haruto got enough Wood magic to acquire the truth/questioning spell. If he does, he wants to use it. If not, he wants to question the head Yakuza with a social roll, not torture.

Haruto consults the foreman and the grateful innkeepers. "The men's sleep is interrupted and their bodies are bruised. It may be wise, foreman-san, to rest in the graces of this inn another day and night before continuing."
We can then expend all our spell points, let everyone rest a day, an start out at the following dawn, right?

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by jemmus »

The power of the pure part of the kami world flows through Taisho and Haruto and into the bodies of the stricken men. The gashes on Hiroshi's body close, split skin on bloody heads knits itself together, ugly welts from hard blunt blows recede and change color from purple-black to yellow-brown. Supine men blink their eyes, look around, and rise on their elbows, then onto their knees. Then stand upright on their feet. All of the men are obviously still in pain. But none of the bushi, budoka, and laborers of Nippon let slip a gasp or a groan.

The innkeeper and his son arrive at the warehouse, carrying lit lanterns and yari, wakizashi tucked under the sashes of their woolen clothes. Ara! Terrible!, the innkeeper says. Guests-sama, I apologize, he says, and bows. I did not think the bohryoku-dan would dare to try to rob like highway brigands. I only expected some petty thievery of the inn's goods and some illegal gambling, so I did not notify the ninyo-san 's bushi. It is unforgiveable, I apologize. We will go now to do that. He bows from the waist, long and low. Jizaburo! Run and tell O-Kaa-san we are going to the ninyo-san in Kamine-cho. Then run and catch up with me on the highway. He turns and hastens out into the snow-filled and moonlit street, the adolescent son following. They turn on road to the west, toward the inn and the distant city of Kofu. Toward a village the travelers passed by earlier this day. And opposite of the direction the yakuza went.

One of the porters, not injured in the fight, goes toward the back of the warehouse and returns with the haulers' supplies box. He takes out cotton bandages and wraps four the ox driver's contusions. He only has supplies to wrap one injury each for two other of the crew.

White-clad Akemi has been silently standing outside the doorway and keenly observing throughout, occasionally looking in with concern. When the innkeeper and son have departed and the healing and bandaging have been done, she enters the warehouse room and says to Haruto, Taisho, Buru, the foreman, and all, The yakuza won't return tonight, I believe. They lost and they are too few. And they know that there are gakusho and shugenja among this group traveling together. They've left these members of their gang behind, to be beheaded by samurai. She looks around the floor at the unconscious and trussed men. As I understand it, their oya-bun may order that lieutenants order sergeants or corporals of the gang to remove one little finger of each. Not for cowardice or disloyalty. But because of stupidity, and failure. And for what the unconscious men might say, before the samurai test their kenjutsu and blades on them.

I am sorry to have said such horrible things. And one other thing I have heard about yakuza-- they are in every city. And they never forget. They will even share information with their fiercest local rivals, in exchange for the same courtesy. We are a party marked as traveling along the Kanto Kaidoh on east. I did not hear if they heard of the final pilgrimage destination. I think they didn't, but I'm not sure.

The porters have around 12 Health (HP) each.
Foreman is fully healed.
Drover is at 6 HP.
P1 is at 6 HP.
P2 is at 6 HP.
P4 is at 7 HP.
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by jemmus »

Akemi in her snow-white ninja garb says, The bushi are coming. I'll meet you later in the inn. She opens the doors, closed to keep out the cold, and goes through them into the night. The doors close again. The sound of horses loping over the snow, stopping outside the doors, and heavy riders dismounting is heard. Takeshi,
Ippei, the doors,
a gruff voice commands. Soon there is a pounding on them. The o-ninyo's constables! We're coming in! Hands away from weapons!

The warehouse's double door swing wide open. Two samurai bushi in heavy o-yoroi-clad and wielding yari stand crouched in attack-defend stance. Two others similarly armed stand behind, as do two others with dai-kyu ready to be drawn. A last one, apparently the captain, stands with hand on katana hilt. All wear heavy wartime battlefield o-yoroi. The innkeeper and his son are not to be seen.

The captain briskly and haughtily strides in. He looks over the travelers, the haulers, the trussed and supine unconscious men, the stacked crates of goods, and the regained and now docile oxen. He looks Haruto up and down, appraising. He bows a short bow of greeting to the young man and says in neutral tone, Pilgrim-san, What happened here? Do you know these men? glancing down toward the yakuza. Information on where you came from, where you are going, and why, please. He casts long appraising looks at Taisho and the haulers' foreman, then looks back to Haruto. It need not be said that the Takeda of Kai are alert to their many enemies. Some of whom may go on pilgrimages in the quite cold month of Kami-no-Zuki. Not many of whom are in postal inn's warehouse in the middle of a night, with escaped criminals' tracks leading from the door to three directions. Neh? It rarely happens here. Neh?

Buru watches and listens, but the armored samurai studiously ignores that he even exists.
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by jemmus »

bump. We have to get you guys back on the road to the Raijin shrine! :)
PCs

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by Marullus »

Haruto raises an eyebrow. "We are attacked in the night, the inn set aflame, and you ask suspicion of me?" His thin pressed lips show this insult is not appreciated. He straightens formally for his introduction. "I am the Chosen One of the Breath of Fujiin, voice of the wind, and on pilgrimage to the Rajiin shrine by his eternal command. Your fear of strangers is not my concern."

Indicating the Yakuza, "We have no association with these men. They are yakuza, for certain, both rough and mannerless, who were already here at the inn when we arrived. I travel with these merchant-men, for security on the winter roads. We did not trust these yakuza in the night and stayed wary. When they lit the inn on fire and assaulted the merchants intent on brazen robbery, we were thus able to carry warning and aid in defense of this merchant and of the Inn. Even so, the yakuza committed brazen murder in their attempted robbery, and the damage to the inn would be a shame to your Daimyo, that this road is not safe." He points out the direction that the yakuza murderers fled. "Those who committed murder went that way. I am sure your men will provide assurance in the safety of this road and in the punishment of these yakuza." He smiles politely at his last words.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by jemmus »

The samurai replies, I didn't ask you what you call yourself. I asked you for your name. Your real one, that is recorded in the birth records. The innkeeper-postmaster, having followed the mounted bushi on foot, arrive. O-ninyo-san, the functionary rank samurai man says, These men helped us fight fires in the post station set by these yakuza. This man created magical mud to put them out. They are travelers who arrived separately from the yakuza, and they have no connection to them, I believe. Some in the room note that he doesn't mention the woman traveler who helped the fire.

The ninyo grunts. A magical samurai, the ninyo says. Samurai with on are bushi and sleep in o-yoroi. He turns to his bushi and gestures at the unconscious yakuza. Stay with them here tonight and guard the warehouse. We'll bring horses for them tomorrow. He turns to the porters and Hiroshi. The criminals' wakizashi are claimed by the Takeda clan as war materiel. You can have the clubs and yakuza's possessions, if you'd like. You can stay tonight and another night, then you must be on your way. Postmaster-san, I will need a report of the incident and an assessment of the damages to the station by the Hour of the Monkey tomorrow. He nods a salutation to the innkeeper and the bushi and mounts his horse and trots away through the snow.

The porters collect the yakuza's furoshiki and give them to the foreman. One considers taking a yakuza's truncheon. It's carved with an image of a carp and peach blossoms. It would be a nice souvenir, but my legs already have enough weight to carry every day. We'll load it on Kuro, the drover says. He's got four legs to your two. He looks at the other felled yakuza's similarly adorned club, but shakes his head and leaves it behind.

The travelers and porters return to the inn and Akemi rejoins them. The innkeeper's wife serves everyone hot barley tea to warm them before bed. The foreman opens the furoshiki and counts out coins: 116 silver and 27 copper, including over 50 from the mouthy boss's purse. The foreman divides the coins them into 10 piles and makes change from his own furoshiki. The travelers sit their customary watches, and the night passes without event.

At breakfast in the morning, the foreman looks the haulers over. The sinewy men are stoic after last night's battle, and concentrate on using chopsticks to shovel fuel into their bellies for the upcoming days work. Can you haul, Shiro? he says. The porter looks a little drawn and absent. But replies, I'm a little weak, but I can haul, Foreman-san.. The foreman says to the yojimbo, We're healthy enough to travel, and we need to make time. But it looks like bad weather is coming. Taisho does his morning blessings. The porters load the oxen, shoulder their chests of goods, and the innkeeper family comes out and bows to Haruto and Akemi. Thank you, o-guests-sama. Thank you. Please come again. We want to thank you for your help. The party sets out.

The foreman was not wrong about the weather. In the morning light snow begins to fall, swirling in a light wind. But within the hour the snow thickens, and the wind builds in power. The wind whistles in the human's, oxen's, and horse's ears, and the snow blowing from the side is in their eyes. All is white, and each can hardly see the shape of the one walking in front. It becomes hard to see the roadbed, and know if one's feet are still on it. Here a man walks into a tree branch, there one stumbles on a roadside rock. The foreman calls out, Halt! He says something else, but the words are swirled and blown away by Fuujin's wild and merciless snow-filled wind.

Each PC gets 11 silver and 21 copper.
Haruto, Taisho, and Buru, please deduct 5 copper for the stay at the inn. Hiroshi, 5 silver.
Any actions before hitting the road? Any actions now?
PCs

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by jemmus »

Bump :)
PCs