Barrow Mounds: A Clamour of Harpies.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrow Mounds: A Clamour of Harpies.

#321 Post by ravenn4544 »

Jorly releases his hands from the webs and is impressed with how the magical net thing actually worked. Impressed with the actions of everyone, quite honestly. He takes a deep breath and tries to relax - realizing his wineskin is empty.

"Anyone have a drink on 'em they'd care to share? Seems like a good time for one."

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#322 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo will assist in cutting off the harpy heads. He gets into marching order once they move to search the lair for anything of value.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#323 Post by Spearmint »

Beyond the double doors is an odd shaped room, so rather than describe too much detail, here is a pic.

Attachments
Harpy Lair
Harpy Lair
Screenshot_20221011-181021~2.png (239.86 KiB) Viewed 488 times
Last edited by Spearmint on Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#324 Post by Spearmint »

The Harpies Lair and beyond.

Conmhaol is tied to a harness and lowered to much protesting, down the shaft to the ground floor. Gear is belayed then the mercenerary duo descend. They have more than earned their keep. Ex-mercenary hire Ben & Jake are greeted and clothed. They tell a limited story, probably too traumatic to list in detail. From the Harpy bodies you can tell many are weeks into gestation periods, the boys have been 'busy'.

"We never were free to explore beyond these confines. The west passage leads to many rooms and many traps. Occasionally groups of cultists passed through, leaving offerings for the Harpies in exchange for safe passage.

The south passage is haunted, even the harpies never explored. In the past they were forced to brick up walls for safety."

The gesture in the directions. A square room with a locked door is immediately north. The door reinforced with iron bands and well oiled hinges. To the west a corridor proceeds at least 60'ft into the darkness. To the south there is a T-junction. You can see a bricked up wall, lined with razor wire and broken glass, stone blocks mortared together with bits of bone fingers sticking through gaps. It gives the impression it was hurriedly erected to stop something scrabbling through.

Searching the shaft ground floor, you find the remains of a large camp fire. A spit has been erected over the ashes and the remnant parts of a skeletal friar; fryed, roasted and skewered from buttocks to throat with a large crab apple placed in his mouth. Friar John, honoured banquet guest and barbecued. Two-Birds gives his remains a blessing.

The ground is littered with foul detritus, mounds of bones and castaway objects. Most of the stuff vandalised and broken beyond any use, bent spoons, cracked ceramics, arrows snapped in half. Even the mirror the preening Harpy was gazing in to was cracked. There weapons, old and rusty.

The group archers can take enough shafts to replenish their quivers. Heads are rolled, a grisly bloody affair. Ten are dead. "There are more" Jake states, pointing to several additional digits as he counts on fingers and toes. "At least a foot's worth."

They must be presently hunting for no more are present.

And so you go through the double doors into a large chapel like room. There are six pillars that support an arched stone roof. The ceiling covered in faded mural depicting scenes of the afterlife though not the 'happy ever after'. Demonic visages leer at you from high above, scenes of torment and purgatory. Four side alcoves have tall stone statues. The figures have been defaced by the Harpies instinctive desire to destroy. None bear angelic images, but are statues of trident bearing devils, gaunt aspects of caricature hellish figures.

Smoky oil lanterns spread some illumination, dangling from scones by the middle set of pillars.

At the far end of the room is a raised area and a large sarcophagus, the lid cast aside, stuffed with nesting material.

You stand on the threshold by the door and can enter freely.

actions please as you explore the areas.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#325 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

"More harpies? Bloody hell." He scans the ground floor chamber and peers briefly into either passage before performing a more detailed scan of the large room beyond the doors. "The motif is certainly different from the other barrows we've seen. Of course ...!" He exclaims in a loud whisper tinged with awe. He indicates the jutting rim about ten feet into the shaft above with a sweep of his staff.

"We are in the Barrowmaze! The barrow was built directly above and collapsed through the ceiling. I assume those cultists are of Nergal, Orcus, or Set." He gestures to the doors. "Let's do a quick search and return to the dwarf barrow. This area is still quite dangerous for us to linger."

He casts Shield to refresh his protective ward.

1st level spell retention (17): [4d6+1]=21+1=22
Last edited by Quonundrum on Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#326 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
Takes a pull from his wine skin & hands it to Jorly. Of course
to the twins: Where did the harpies take the "offerings" they were given?
In response to Moriartus' proposal: I agree that sticking around here long isn't a good idea. I would like to search this room first & see if we can find anything of worth. Then, back to the dwarven barrow or back to town? Doesn't seem like we're in too good a shape & low on healing and first aid.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#327 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

"Agreed, Mr. Fydmar. Let's thoroughly search this room, then return to the dwarven barrow to rest. We have a long journey back to Helix and will need to properly dismantle that construct for the journey." At the mention of the offerings, he also asks the twins, "How are these cultists dressed, any particular distinguishing features, and which passages do they use?"

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#328 Post by gurusql »

Cadeweed

Cadeweed had been thinking the same thing as Fydmar, perhaps the invisibility slows his thinking. Cadeweed will nod and follow along with Fydmar's and Moriartus's ideas.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#329 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

"Aye, aye. A rest is what we need for suir. After we plunder this place, that is.

By the weh, Kehdweed, thank ye faer the idea with the net. It's saved mae laef! I owe ye one, lad. Actually, all of ye!

Anyweh, dae ye think this place is trapped? We should trehd kerfully I seh."

The ranger remains in the rearguard, not wanting to risk anything given his current state. He does his best to calm down poor Conmhaol, that must be nervous after the descent.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#330 Post by ravenn4544 »

Jorly nods in appreciation and takes what is probably too big of a swig to be called polite. "I owe you one.." He'll move off to keep an eye on the door as the others investigate quickly.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#331 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

I’ll restock any lost arrows. Search for a bit of loot from the harpy’s bodies and help guard.

Durgo grabs some arrows to replenish his the loots a bit. He’ll mind any instructions give him.
Last edited by Cwreando on Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#332 Post by Spearmint »

The Harpies Lair and beyond.

Understandably, Ben & Jake have little enthusiasm for staying around too long. Though you are a substantial number of people, you are still relatively vulnerable to the unknown dangers lurking in the Barrowmaze and possibly from harpies returning from hunting upon the Barrow Moor.
"How are these cultists dressed, any particular distinguishing features, and which passages do they use?"
"The devout ones wear robes and garments as priests, bearing shields with goat heads and pentagrams. The ground floor of the shaft is a sort of crossroads. One came and chanted over the dead bodies here and they all stood up to follow him as undead thralls.

After Friar John was spit roasted and feasted upon, the priest tormented him further. He animated his zombie carcass and they cooked him again. Breaking his ribs off to marinade in honey and sucking his marrow dry. The apple stops him screaming ... he may yet still live.

Some of the dead do not know they are dead, they act as if still living. A 'grisly scholar' stalks those western hallways seeking books and tomes not tombs.

We did not ventured far, we were kept here to ... do unspeakable things ..."

While the mercenaries take up guard positions, the characters enter the chapel room. Behind each of the first two statues, at the ground level are nesting areas. On the walls behind are pinned up trophies; a string of scalps dangling from a feathered spear, a shield whose green and white quarters bear a red lion rampart, a blue glass decanter, a faded oil painting of a crying child boy in a varnished walnut frame, strings of decorative beads and ribbons.

One harpy has a bird cage, a small black bird with an orange beak. It chirps merrily when you uncover the blanket from over its cage.

The group progress into the chapel, wary of dangers.

actions please. let me know where your character goes. I have described the room and uploaded the picture. So who searches nests, checks out the statues, takes any of the items described, who wanders further to the coffer at the far end.

a roll, just to keep you paranoid ...
Barrow Mound random and even more random [1d6]=5 [1d6]=5 [1d10]=2
Last edited by Spearmint on Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#333 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

Casts Detect Magic and scans the nests, items, statues, and coffer. He refrains from disturbing the coffer or nests.

1st level spell retention (17): [4d6+1]=14+1=15

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#334 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo focus’ on harpy bodies using his sword to be sure they’re dead before he loots them for now. “I’ll search these dead harpy bodies. I won’t mess with anything until it’s cleared of traps and detected as magical. if you need me to help with anything let me know.”

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#335 Post by Spearmint »

Just edited my post to add a little more 'flavour' to this area.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#336 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
Once given the all clear from Moriartus, He will head to the sarcophagus. Does it look like the matriarch was nesting here? If so, he will search the nest. Then see if the sarcophagus can be moved or if there are any secret compartments he can find. If it doesn't look like a harpy was nesting here, he will be more cautious & search for traps.
As needed: skill check [1d100]=74

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#337 Post by gurusql »

Cadeweed

Cadeweed being invisible will be moving around watching for undead coming out is horrible place.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#338 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal shakes his head in disbelief at what the Bennerjake twins are telling. He starts at the entrance and leans against the wall. "I'm sorry but, in my condition, I rather daen't risk being hit by an arrae or attacked by suirprise by a zombie, banshee or what have ye."

He feels sorry for the caged bird. "Can someone free that puir bird?"

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#339 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

Any vestiges of mirth evaporates from his demeanour when the twins recount more of their awful, harrowing experiences with the harpies. "I am sorry I was unable to find you sooner. We have the Green Man to thank, though." He nods in respect at Two-Birds. "I implored him for aid, and so it was that a bird guided us in the direction we needed to search."

"The acolytes you describe, I believe they are followers of Orcus. They may be excavating in this section of the Barrowmaze, but for what? In any case, our handiwork will be discovered eventually." He gestures indicating a few of the harpy corpses. "Arrange them in the western passage. Maybe we can fool the thralls of Orcus the attackers came from that direction, not above."

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#340 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

After detecting for magic, he examines the statues.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”