Barrow Mounds: A Clamour of Harpies.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrow Mounds: A Clamour of Harpies.

#361 Post by ravenn4544 »

Jorly takes a few minutes, now that the worst seems to be over, to stretch out his old bones a bit. He'll then go back to keeping watch until they decide to move on.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#362 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

"Apology accepted, Mr. Dougal. There are also more harpies about that I'm sure we could both unleash our regards upon. Thinking of which ..." He steps to the door and peers outside at the three unexplored passages. Motioning for the twins and Two-Birds, he solicits their advice. After about a minute of such, he speaks again to the group. "A change of plans. I was concerned about returning harpies attacking us as we climb, but it would be quite a bit worse if cultists were to attack simultaneously from below. We have already created a great deal of noise from the fighting and word may already be spreading of our arrival."

"I suggest we prepare to leave immediately. Cadeweed, Fydmar, Two-Birds, and Jorly climb first and post watch at the surface while the rest of us follow. I volunteer to be one of the last two. I am quite slow at climbing, I'm afraid. I will tie the rope around myself so you can just haul me up. We'll camp in the dwarf barrow and work on getting that construct ready for transport back to Helix."
Last edited by Quonundrum on Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#363 Post by Spearmint »

Assault on the Harpy Lair.

With some extra consideration, taking advice from NPC's and the Twins experience of captivity here, the decision is made to retreat now rather than rest here and find more problems appear. I will update now so you can all act on the next information.

The stated mission complete, a bigger success than perhaps imagined, not only to raid a Harpy lair but actually to find both mercenaries are alive. You have coins to cash in, some potions (two are healing, one remains to be identified).

I wonder if as I advanced using Cadeweed's, Fydmar and Durgo's potions that each gets one back, at least until they or a team need arises. You can discuss treasure division back in civilization but I will record them going to the above.

Cadeweed notices the extra potion in the nest, an added boon. While the Crying Boy portrait is cast upon the embers of the nest pyre, the other wall trophies are collected.

anyone want to claim the shield?

There is also a crossbow and that too could be immediately equipped. Fydmar is proficient in such weapons. Can I presume he takes that to use?

The 'haul out' of men, equipment and wolfhound is organised. Jorly, Cadeweed & Fydmar can each climb up a rope and then start belaying others. The vultures, disturbed once more as you pass squawk and peck but unless you intrude their nesting sites will tolerate your passing. Next up are Moriartus, Ben, Jake. The wolfhound is harnessed and the two hired hands, leaving Two-Birds, Durgo & Dougal to bring up the rear. Before you exit, a larger funeral pyre is lit, the bodies of the slain Harpies marinaded in copious amounts of lantern oil and set alight. A plume of rancid black smoke testimony to the murderous raid. Feathers and embers rise up the shaft to mingle high above and fade into the pervading must that covers the Barrow Moor. By time the fire and feathers settle, the group are back in the Collapsed Mound.

Rather than descending by rope, you can trigger the covered bear clamp traps and use the dug out entrance you made earlier. Nothing has entered since you left, no further Amber Molds in the entrance passage, no lurking ghouls or exploring brigands.

Taking a break to study spells, grab a hot, hastily prepared meal and decide how to salvage the Construct.

at this point ...
I rolled random encounters as folk rest a couple of hours. Nothing was generated then if you created another travois or sled type barrow out of the shelf units in the workshop, you can haul the Construct across the Barrow Moor.

I then randomised five hours worth of Barrow Moor trekking encounters, which generated just a single interruption to your homeward journey. Of all things, a mini-flock of Giant Vultures; but outnumbered, they can be quickly picked off with archery or chased away.

With that, I can conclude your expedition and return to Helix.

how do folk feel about that?

Post an action here, any other suggestion, anything I may have missed that you would like to do.
Last edited by Spearmint on Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#364 Post by Quonundrum »

I think that settles it up quite nicely! That was quite touch and go there several times! I agree concerning the potions.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#365 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
All is fine with him.
Is anyone else proficient with X-bow? If not, Fydmar can use it & would have no problem giving the vambraces to one of the others (Jorly?)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#366 Post by Spearmint »

Is anyone else proficient with X-bow?
no I think just you.

I will tally the expedition Experience Awards up and list the Treasure I made notes of in a summary and then you can decide between you how to divide plunder, selling stuff and any roleplay in the settlement.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#367 Post by gurusql »

Cadeweed knows how to use a hand-held crossbow (but not a larger one)

For the moment I have recorded the healing potion to replace his previous one.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#368 Post by Karaunios »

I'm alright about everything. Dougal is battered enough as it is :lol:

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#369 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus

Oh, forgot to mention that Moriartus plucks several long flight feathers from the matriarch's wings (for Mazzah), and a small feather for a new quill. He also stops by the Green Man mound to fill his waterskin with the fountain water there.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#370 Post by Spearmint »

He also stops by the Green Man mound to fill his waterskin with the fountain water there.
That would require extra Barrow Mounds exploration and role play in case there are encounters to be had nearby or within ...

So maybe next time.

Preliminary Expedition Summary:

Experience Points Awards:

Discovery and exploration of 'Collapsed Mound.' +100xp

Killing Luca & Dardo, resurrected ghouls. +180xp

Killing Amber Jelly and cleansing passage of Amber Mould, digging entrance through sealed portal. +150xp

Killing 'Silky' the Mage and his bandit group. +500xp

Killing 16 x Giant Vultures in lure ambush, shaft and random encounters. +800xp

Killing 3 x Harpy Chicks. +150xp

Killing 8 x Barrow Harpies. +1520xp

Killing Vultrix, Harpy Matriarch. +300xp

Successful rescue of Bennerjake Twins and successful salvage of the dwarven Construct. +300xp

Successful assault on Harpy Lair, surviving several critical rounds, charm saves, catching Dougal and emerging without any fatal casualties. +500xp

Total XP: 4500xp: divided by six character full shares and three npc half-shares. 4500/7.5= +600xp per full share. This may be modified by any Prime Requisite Bonus a character may have.

Each player also receives +100xp participation bonus.

Each player should also have noted my recent Chemo Reward of +100xp. Issued in Town Crier thread.

I have added the final tally to my record of your current experience points to reconcile you as follows:

Cadeweed Dale: +760xp = Thief L2: 3940/4001 (+10%prb)

Dougal: +700 = Ranger L2: 3320/4001 (no prb).

Durgo Brightboon: +760xp = Fighter L1: 1574/2001 (+10%prb).

Fydmar: +760xp = Thief L2: 2415/4001 (+10%prb). advances to 2nd level or may adopt Fighter as a 2nd class.

Jorly: +700xp = Monk L1: 1000/2001 (no prb).

Moriartus: +760xp = Mage L3: 4961/8001 (+10%prb).

Congratulations to Fydmar who may advance a level and to Cadeweed who can advance also by earning those extra xp during his downtime in Helix via tributes & memorials, social world building, giving to charity and character class investment. Extra XP can be earned by any character investing time and finances in various projects.

let me know if I have missed any award or that you have not yet added a bonus to your total. I know sometimes I give extra ooc for problem solving and research stuff.

Treasure Trove:

Silky's Quarterstaff. It has an eagle claw carving which clutches a stone that sheds light as per spell upon utterance of the command word. 'Let there be Light'.

Silky's Scarab Brooch: a large beetle designed brooch with inset decorative features that enables wearer to absorb magical damage sustained by a Magic Missile spell or from other magical devices. It is unknown how many points of damage absorption remains in the brooch.

Silky's Vambraces. Gives an overall armour protection equal to studded leather and specific forearm protection equal to splint mail. AC7/AC4

Silky's Spellbook.
Spellbook of Silky contains transcripts in fine calligraphy of several common mage invocations. Magic Missile, Light/Darkness, Floating Disc, Affect Normal Fires.
Silky's loan shark ledger.

A Runic Rubbing of an unidentified transcript.
Another page has some rubbings and noted scripts which reminds you of those taken from the Runic Tablets. This will need an extra study period to gain the knowledge of what the writing contains. This can be done by any character as the possible effects of any Runic magic are cross class based. Just give me a [4d6] vs intelligence roll to get an outline understanding rather than reading it as one might do a scroll to cast a spell. The reader gains knowledge of the Runic transcript, receiving a special boon, ability or possible negative effect.

A dwarven Construct in need of further repair and refurbishment. Salvaged with several geodes. (Hollow rocks whose inner portions contain crystal formations. It is thought these crystals were some form of power base to energise the Construct into action).

A green and white quartered 'Heater' type shield with a red lion rampart design. (Shield +1?)

A crafted light crossbow with enhanced gyroscopic sights and balances. (Crossbow +1) and a pouch of a dozen silver tipped bolts.

Two 'Potions of Healing: and one unidentified 'Potion Unknown'. (in possession of Cadeweed, Fydmar & Durgo respectively).

Coins, Trinkets and Gems:

1450 silver pieces, ten gold nuggets, a blue crystal decanter, a sack of bazaar standard 'Harpy Jewellery', 14 x large uncut Agate gemstones, three jars of assorted copper, silver and gold coins. The jars contain 3853cp, 5367sp, 3922gp.

if you wanted to 'cash in' the combined haul at the Rosy Quartz, the total amount would be worth 5089gp.

With Moriartus creaming back forty gold to cover the Mercenerary hire as an off-the-top refundable expedition cost, the remaining 5049gp is split into full and half shares, giving each player character +673gp. The loose 4sp change buying a round of drinks in the tavern.

Actions! decide here on how to split the trove. The NPC's take their half share of gold (and half share of xp) and any allocation of goods as you see fit. Obviously some items have a better intrinsic value so characters may want to forego some or all coinage to compensate other party members, NPC's included.

I will get Moriartus to roleplay at guild post with Osen concerning the twins.

comments & questions.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#371 Post by Quonundrum »

Here's a first stab at possible loot bids, although this is by no means official or final. Please bid on any (1 or more) items. Once these are claimed, then we can adjust the monetary shares accordingly.

Silky's Quarterstaff.
Jorly
Moriartus

Silky's Scarab Brooch.
Moriartus

Silky's Vambraces.
Jorly
Fydmar
Cadeweed

Silky's Spellbook.
Moriartus

Moriartus
Care to roll the dice? :twisted:

A dwarven Construct in need of further repair and refurbishment. Salvaged with several geodes.
Fydmar?

A green and white quartered 'Heater' type shield with a red lion rampart design. (Shield +1?)
Durgo
Dougal

A crafted light crossbow with enhanced gyroscopic sights and balances. (Crossbow +1) and a pouch of a dozen silver tipped bolts.
Fydmar

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#372 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal is currently not using any shield, since he changes between broadsword and bow.

It's no problem if Durgo claims it, so take Dougal as second option if for some reason Durgo doesn't want or need it.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#373 Post by scottjen »

Of the magic items found: I think Fydmar should get the X-bow.

Of the mystery items: Probably makes sense if he is involved in researching the "dwarven golem" although it anyone else wants to join in this endeavor, that would be fine.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#374 Post by ravenn4544 »

Jorly is a mean of modest means. He requires little but gold for his bar tab!

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#375 Post by gurusql »

Cadeweed

"Perhaps Moriartus said with the Quarterstaff going to Moriartus, Silky's Vambraces to Jorly and I would fancy the Scarab Brooch."

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#376 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

"Durgo could use the shield. He could use the boost to his AC probably and will likely be working on buying himself some better armor in Helix....Funds permitting. I don't mind if Dougal has the shield though either. The Healing potions Durgo gets are always party usable. If he doesn't get one he'll likely try to purchase another one....Funds permitting."

Durgo would gladly accept the shield and offer compensations as needed.

Updated XP/AC and added the Shield +1
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#377 Post by ravenn4544 »

Monk's aren't allowed armor I don't think. Are bracers considered armor?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#378 Post by Spearmint »

This Bracers of Defence type item works as armour would to any class but specifically tailored to those classes usually prohibited from wearing armour.

So, yes, Jorly could benefit from the Vambraces.

Looking at the list. Moriartus has the Mummy Staff so wouldn't need an extra magic staff. Jorly is proficient in staffs as is Two-Birds. (your chief medic and npc).

As a suggestion, could this work to benefit the team each?

Two-Birds:
Silky's Quarterstaff. (+1 to hit, Light spell function)

Cadeweed:
Silky's Scarab Brooch & Potion of Healing.

Jorly:
Silky's Vambraces (AC7/AC4)

Moriartus:
Silky's Spellbook

Durgo:

Fydmar:
&
Potion of Healing.

A dwarven Construct in need of further repair and refurbishment. Salvaged with several geodes.
This item needs investment of time and money in materials to refurb to working condition. I can allocate it to Fydmar to oversee and anyone else interested in the rebuild project. (Each gp invested in repair earns a reciprocal xp benefit so even if you don't use it control the Construct directly, anyone can benefit from the teamwork).

Dougal:
Unidentified potion (from Durgo),
You can still debate and swap stuff here.

As an out of expedition action, everyone can post there arrival back in Helix and as some have started to do already, visit locations and take time to rest, research and upgrade.

Any questions you can ask in private threads.

I know Moriartus has raised a thought regarding his next adventure, to investigate the wilderness pestilence issue and others have suggested going back to the Barrow Mounds and Maze.

I am fielding a couple of new players who hopefully will arrive in Helix soon so you may have more folk to recruit from. You can discuss plans here or in the tavern as an in character post or ooc in the Expeditions Planning thread.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#379 Post by Quonundrum »

I think that's a very reasonable distribution.

If Two-Birds, Cadeweed, Jorly, Durgo, and Fydmar can contribute 20gp to fund a pearl to Identify Dougal's potion, that would be ideal. Moriartus can spend a day to do the actual spellcasting and recover from the strain.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#380 Post by Spearmint »

I'll call it a gift from Osen to cover that so folk don't have to fiddle about.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”