Barrow Mounds: Blossom of Death.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrow Mounds: Blossom of Death.

#181 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

The Knight checks Bharazd'had's pulse and kneels down to start compressions on his chest. Using the rudimentary CPR he learned. "Does anyone have a cloth, or cape or something?"

After he is successful or not in saving the lizardman, Sir Dewey stands and assesses the dead knight and gems.

"Cut off his head." The Paladin reaches for the undead knight's sword to do just that. "I think you're right Sigrid. Do either of you know what to do with these? I fear it may reanimate if we do the wrong thing."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#182 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

At the risk of provoking the ire of his comrades, he will get up from beside the prone body of Magyar Varghoulis and tries to knock the gem out of the hand's of Sigrid and will attack the gem with his sword.

"Shatter it! Break it, death lies within and it is causing him to resurrect."

I am not sure how much time we have from the first death of the knight to the gem re-energising him. But if he does come back to undead life, we might all be f@#£ed.

Vann Hector's: Crypt Knight's longsword melee vs s/m [1d20+2]=16+2=18 [1d8+1]=3+1=4

an attack upon the gem.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#183 Post by Spearmint »

The Tomb of Magyar Varghoulis:

Post Mortem.

Vann Hector acts to attack the throbbing gem. The essence inside, such a fascination to the two mages, ignorant perhaps to its traits.

He strikes the gem, splintering shards of dull sapphire upon the ground. It is not done though.
Sir Dewey reaches for the undead knights blade but in his hand he suffers a divine retribution and is flung back. -2hp.

As you pick yourself up you note that you were not the only one reaching for the blade. Magyar Varghoulis twitches, his palm outstretched, his undead fingers uncurl to open and try to grasp for the weapon. The body jerks as the gemstone is hit. But it is not shattered and in horror you watch the black spores of evil essence and necrosis begin to swirl around his body and enter his mouth as if breathed in afresh.

actions everyone please.

Sir Dewey shocking grasp [1d8]=5
Sir Dewey: Constitution save vs shocking grasp [4d6]=12

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#184 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

"The gem! Shatter it before he rises to shatter us. Everyone hit it."

Vann Hector's: Crypt Knight's longsword melee vs s/m [1d20+2]=3+2=5 [1d8+1]=8+1=9

He shouts but cannot follow up his smash.

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#185 Post by Nordbo »

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#186 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

In turn, he strikes at the damaged gem. "Kick that blade away!"

Flail(19): [1d20+1]=12+1=13 Flail Damage: [_2d4+2]=(2+4)=6+2=8 L:[1d6+2]=2+2=4

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#187 Post by Spearmint »

The Tomb of Magyar Varghoulis

Hearing the cry, Moorheeth and Sundance come to join the party and in one combined effort, try to destroy the soul gem before it gives undead life and necrotic energy back into the anti-paladin Nergal aligned knight.

I am giving a +4 to hit bonus vs the gem.

Sundance does not have a bludgeoning weapon, but she does have an ability to cast Push which she uses to just move the undead knight's sword out of his reach.

The others attack the gem. Almost everyone (sorry Vann) hits causing a combined -26hp. Cracking and fracturing the hard
throbbing crystal and in a last holy bludgeoning, splattering it into a myriad of shards that explode with a sudden crack.

That sound echoes in this unholy grove. The standing stones that ring the sarcophagus begin to crack and fracture themselves, crumbling apart as the ground begins to shake with rapid tremors. Ghoulish screams and hellish nightmares echo around and from under the sarcophagus a great great opens in the ground, heat from abyssal fires come out and long shadowy creatures shaped like tentacles with demonic heads with around the body of Magyar Varghoulis. They wrap around him and begin to pull his body into the void below.

The black rose creepers either away, the darkness even seems to be sucked into the void as if hell is vacuuming the grove back into its depths.

Sigrid staff upon gem [1d20+4]=11+4=15[1d6]=5. Moorheeth flail upon gem [1d20+4]=16+4=20 [1d6+1]=5+1=6

You can stand in awe and fascination or run for your lives as the burial grove collapses to atrophy and disintegrates around you.

actions please.

and with that you can consider the objective of the mission completed, defeating the rising of Magyar Varghoulis and his horde of undead Legionnaires. I still need to randomise any trek back to Helix so though you are out of the frying pan you may not yet be free of the fire.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#188 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Doesn't need a second invitation to escape with his life.

"Come on, go, go, go!". He urges not trusting that hanging around will get anything except a short trip to a fiery baptism.

"He's gone leave him." he says to Sir Dewey regarding Bharazd'had . The Soothsayer's death at the hands of Magyar saving him from fulfilling a private request from Lord Krothos. He runs towards the stairs and won't stop until out of the upper crypt and in the Barrow Mound.

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#189 Post by Nordbo »

That sound echoes in this unholy grove. The standing stones that ring the sarcophagus begin to crack and fracture themselves, crumbling apart as the ground begins to shake with rapid tremors. Ghoulish screams and hellish nightmares echo around and from under the sarcophagus a great great opens in the ground, heat from abyssal fires come out and long shadowy creatures shaped like tentacles with demonic heads with around the body of Magyar Varghoulis. They wrap around him and begin to pull his body into the void below.
Excellent dramatic description :o

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#190 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

The Paladin nods at Vann Hector's council. "Go. I'll bring up the rear." He glances at the sword, but leaves it lying.

He urges the others to move out and lends a hand to any who need one. Sir Dewey crosses himself and says a quick prayer to the fallen guardsmen as he passes.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#191 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Stands but a moment in awe of the spectacle before her. She looks to Dewey, "Is he truly dead?" Whether she refers to Bharazd'had or the knight is uncertain. In any case, she heeds Dewey's warning and flees for the exit.

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#192 Post by Nordbo »

Cosmo

scampers after those of his adventuring party who seem to be exiting, while chuckling: "There's no place like 'gnome"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#193 Post by Spearmint »

Fleeing the Barrow Tomb.

The extra planar grove, sacred as a memorial to one of Nergals's beloved, disintegrated and is pulled into the hellscape that opens up to swallow the body, sarcophagus and all.

Wisely, the group flee lest they join the vanquished soul. Not stopping in the ante-chapel and running further past the ritual room, through the mess hall and up the entrance stairs. Around you the barrow shakes, stricken to the core, the barrow foundations subside and the interior walls collapse, the ceilings cave in, walls and tons of earth cover the lower chambers. Diving into the stair alcoves, vacated by the statues used as a barricade. They provide just enough cover to avoid masonry and detritus. After a few moments, the shaking stops, the dust clears. You can light lanterns or torches and scramble your way out into the not quite fresh, misty barrow mounds.

No scavengers are about, perhaps frightened off by the quake. You can see the former carved lintel stone has come loose and fallen to the ground. The once rounded knoll has collapsed inwards.

Injured and exhausted the group have few resources and fewer still choices. The objective completed, victory and tragedy hand in hand.

Vann Hector at least has some prior knowledge of the barrow mounds having trekked back once before from the mound. You lead the way, back through the periphery of the barrow mound fringe and the northwards towards the trade road to Ironguard. The trek is long, more hours than you would like but upon reaching the road you get a break of luck. A few wagons are heading towards Helix and you can hitch a lift. Wondrous stories have to wait; blazing shields, resurrected undead, sacrificial stands and a sonorous chant that inspired courage and fortitude. Instead, taking the weight off your feet, each nods off among the casks and crates.

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#194 Post by Nordbo »

Cosmo

as soon as the group is back in 'civilized' surroundings, fishes out the pouch of 100 uncut rubies and says "These precious mementos from our trip are now to be divided, or cashed in ?" and will happily hand them over to whoever is considered group treasurer.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#195 Post by Spearmint »

I will do a formal summary of experience awards and you can discuss any division of treasures here

Just in a side note. You all arrive back in Helix in the same day you left. May 26th 1066.

Most of you are injured, so need to spend time recuperating anyway.

I am trying to synchronise the next expeditions, so can each character account for four weeks of downtime, paying whatever upkeep standard in the tavern.

I hope to date all other expeditions from 23rd or later.

You can go ahead and make a post in any settlement threads as you make you next character plans.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#196 Post by Stirling »

great little adventure. We were certainly on the edge of trouble with injuries. I think not finding another secret entrance to the Barrowmaze (but a direct chasm to the lower hells) probably saved us from any unwise choice to explore further.

I am fine with gaining more xp and treasure. I think with being 400xp short of advancing I might achieve that this time, ready for another adventure

I will post in the tavern and apart from confirming the Soothsayer has died, I will leave all the official stuff to the more wiser and charismatic characters.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#197 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

The Knight thanks everyone individually, but specifically highlights Moorheeth and Sundance. "I truly believe that you two, along with the conscripts, saved the fight. I owe you my gratitude, if ever you need something from me, all you need is to ask."

"Vann. You should get that blade examined if it was able to possess you. I'm just glad you were able to break free when you did."

"If I recall, cut stones are worth more than uncut. Maybe we could find someone to do that?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#198 Post by Spearmint »

I have pm'd players to prompt any last actions or comments here as I summarise the expedition.

You can go ahead and post in the tavern or settlement threads as some are doing.

I will edit here with some awards.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#199 Post by Spearmint »

Summary of Expedition Awards.

not bad for a day's work!

Creatures Encountered.

Giant Slug, two large slugs, twenty baby slugs: +2700xp.

Vanquishing spirit of Sauron priest: +100xp

Five Ghoulish Lieutenants: +450xp

Twenty Undead Legionnaires: +800xp

Dread Knight, Magyar Varghoulis: +6750xp includes XP for destruction of Soul Gem.

General exploration and events.

Complete Ritual summoning of priest: +100xp
Open door using Hoodoo voodoo: +100xp

Total amount of Expedition XP: 11,000xp. This is divided into five full shares for characters and a half share for Sundance the lone surviving npc.

+2000xp each. Players may also get a 10% bonus to this if they have the necessary class prime requisite bonus stats.

Player Bonus Awards
Each character player also receives a participation award of +100xp

Sir Dewey: +2100xp 4888/8001xp advances to 3rd level paladin.

Vann Hector: -2300xp. 5724/8001xp advances to 3rd level thief.

Sigrid: +2100xp. 4316/8001xp advances to 3rd level mage.

Moorheeth: +2300xp 2500/4001xp advances to 2nd level cleric.

Cosmo Snag: +2300xp. 2530/4001xp Illusionist level. 2300/4001xp Thief level.
advances to 2nd level in both classes.

Congratulations on surviving. A small trek with only three significant encounters, but each one was potentially deadly and increasingly challenging to not emerge with a TPK.

Please acknowledge your xp award, comment in any mistakes or adjustments. For new hit points and upgrades to class skills, please use your private forums.

Any questions please ask.

Treasure Trove

Sunburst Shield: currently equipped to Sir Dewey. It has the following traits:
Sunburst shield: emanates a Protection from Evil radiance within a 15'ft radius of the wielder. It does not stack with the Paladin's own holy aura. But you all gain the benefit if you line up nearby Sir Dewey, a -2 on MV on attacks against you. Again I will factor this into rolls. It sheds Light as per the spell of the same name as a reaction to the presence of Undead.
Leather Tome of Ancient Scripts: unidentified.

Sapphire Soul Gem: destroyed to stop MV resurrection. I awarded a value of XP in lieu of it's shattering into pieces.

Gold doubloons from sarcophagus of MV: any light fingered person want to fess' up if he took any ...

Urn of Uncut Gemstones: 145 of them, being appraised in the Rosy Quartz.

make any comments regarding treasure division here. I am assuming you will leave the shield with SD and the mages/clerics will check out the tome in character in the village threads.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#200 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Happy to advance. I rolled for new hp and will adjust my sheet for upgrading thief skills and XP scores.

"Sir Dewey , you asked me concerning the sword I took from the crypt Knight lieutenant of Varghoulis. What I can say is that I hear no more voices in my head and suffer no more continuing migraines. I think the sentient spirit left to invigorate the undead Knight."

I still found the sword to be effective in harming Magyar Varghoulis , so I will conclude that it is still enchanted but not possessed.

As far as treasure goes. I need to cover probably 200gp of funds as a debt for Sundance to learn a new spell as part of her hire. I would appreciate if that came from group rather than personal funds.

I am fine with Sir Dewey keeping the shield as he should, and whoever best shares the tome and knowledge within. I have all I need, so am satisfied to take whatever share of uncut gems are measured out.

And no, my sleight of hand craft did not extend to successfully swiping any gold drakes from the sarcophagus before it got sucked into the hell chasm and we left the grove. honest .... :roll: .

Return to “Completed Expeditions”