Barrow Mounds: Blossom of Death.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrow Mounds: Blossom of Death.

#201 Post by Spearmint »

Cosmo

as soon as the group is back in 'civilized' surroundings, fishes out the pouch of 100 uncut rubies and says "These precious mementos from our trip are now to be divided, or cashed in ?" and will happily hand them over to whoever is considered group treasurer.

"If I recall, cut stones are worth more than uncut. Maybe we could find someone to do that?"
I can't remember rolling the number or giving an exact figure. A 'hundred uncut rubies' was mentioned but I rolled for the actual figure which is 145. They are considered as semi-precious stones and are a mix of those given in the DMG pg26. On a singular level, they would be worth around fifty gold each as uncut gems. Cutting costs, usually 25% of the uncut value with a skill check roll taken to see if the expected increase in value, double or treble usually, can be received as a cut gem.

I will post an action in the settlement: Helix. Rosy Quartz thread to deal with Cosmo getting them appraised. Here is a link.

viewtopic.php?p=639405#p639405

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#202 Post by Nordbo »

Spearmint wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:24 am The Rosy Quartz

Cosmo Snag visits his kinsmen with an urn and a sackful of sparkly gemstones, recovered from the coffer of the Sunburst Shield.

Gur Hirwen appraises each carefully, scripting notes, weighing them and testing their sincerity and lustre. "One hundred and forty five. Some worth thirty to forty gold apiece, others a little more. As a combined lot, at a little over fifty gold median each, then I can ship these as a job-lot to Ironguard for 7350 gold pieces total."

if you took this offer and covered the request by Vann Hector of 200gp of trove to cover the spell request, it would leave each character from your expedition with a value of 1,300gp.

If you wanted to cut the gemstones to sell in Ironguard for a profit yourselves, you need to negotiate that.
Cosmo is still waiting for the reply to the question he put to the group before everyone went their separate ways, i e what did everyone feel should be done with the gems he carried in his pouch. If no clear agreement was settled, he will have taken his share of the (145) gems (minus one gem to cover his share of Vann Hector's spell request cost) and left the rest in the pouch, put the pouch on the ground in clear view of everyone and said "Here, the remainder for you all to do with as you see fit.", thus walking away with 25 uncut gems (now in his back pack instead) and presenting only this amount to the experts at The Rosy Quartz.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by Spearmint »

Cosmo is still waiting for the reply to the question he put to the group before everyone went their separate ways,
I got the impression that Vann and SD were happy for you to get the gems appraised and come back with an answer.

I am fine with each character taking +25 semi-precious gemstones and appraising, cutting, selling them as they see fit.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#204 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

I am okay with taking a twenty five gem cut each if that equals everyone's share out and the remainder goes towards covering the retainer shares and perhaps raising a plaque to hang in the chapel for those guards who never made it back too.

Moorheeth, Sigrid? very quiet,.

+25 uncut gems added to inventory.

Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#205 Post by Darkmane »

Hey folks, I apologize for my dearth of posts! Starting Monday the stomach flu ripped through our house. Now that the bleaching is over I'm like crawling from the cave and trying to get back to life :lol: :oops:

I'm in favor of an equitable split as well if the rest of the team agrees. Excellent description of the defeat of Vargoulis, seemed dicey for a moment there!

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#206 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

The gem cut sounds reasonable to me. Sigrid likes shiny things (like her player).

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sorry if I didn't explicitly state it. SD was cool with Cosmo dealing with the lot as a whole. I was only musing about the possible benefit of getting them cut first.

I thought it would be easier to deal with the gems as a lot, and possibly get better deals that way. SD will try to get his share cut and boosted and go in together with anyone else who wants to do the same.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#208 Post by Spearmint »

Ok. So let me shortcut multiple posts.

If you each take 25 uncut gems, you can sell them to the Rosy Quartz for +1250gp

If you want to cut them in order to increase value, you can pay the Rosy Quartz -325gp, and then you try and sell them for an increased profit elsewhere.

Just note in your character sheet the extra coinage, the gems as uncut or minus the cost and note the gems as cut.

viewtopic.php?p=639490#p639490

For Vann though, as you posted and I don't want to retrospectively change posts, you get the value as scripted, noting you go to the Jewelers on a later date (though with you intended action I will make the difference up in XP).

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by Spearmint »

Can I just remind people to record their advance in XP and levels and roll for new hp, and upgrade any class skills. Thanks.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by Stirling »

XP awards, treasure and thief skills added.

Cosmo, Sigrid, Sir Dewey, Moorheeth,

I am organising a venture to explore a portion of labyrinths under the Barrow Mounds. If anyone wants their character to join me, then let me know. Cheers.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#211 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid is inclined to be interested in the new expedition.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#212 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sounds like a plan.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by Spearmint »

Great. Thanks team, this was a good trip. Maybe not as long and challenging as some others but in the context of the overarching campaign setting, perhaps the one that has achieved the greatest impact to date.

In stopping Magyar Varghoulis gaining full resurrection, the legion of undead in the next tomb just become as random skeletons if encountered rather than the troop becoming a larger co-ordinated force under a Nergal 'death knight' to raid the settlements and in his wake, influence other undead entities to Nergals's reawakening powers.

A side note on Sundance. She should have had full treasure but the share take of 25 each, leaving her 18 and Vann covering 200gp towards her spell learning, that balances out very well.

I will close this thread and move it to the Completed Expeditions.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#214 Post by Spearmint »

I noticed no one from the group followed up with an action post regarding the Tome of Ancient Scripts that were found in the sarcophagus of Varghoulis.

So to cut a long story short, the scripts contain a biography of Magyar Varghoulis, written in an 'infernal' or Black Tongue. Alongside this are three spells.

Detect Invisibility
Invisibility
and a new spell inscribed as 'Soul Tie'. (a form of Astral Projection).

For a magic user, each are listed as 2nd level spells. In a usual way, each may be cast straight from the parchment as a single use spell or transcribed into your personal spell book in the usual in game manner, spending days and coins to study and in experimental research. (see Of Gods & Magic thread).

Each may be cast by mages or illusionists, the first, Detect Invisibility is classified as a 1st level Illusionist spell so could be learned by Cosmo.

Perhaps Sigrid, Cosmo and Sundance the npc mage can agree on how you share those out or learn them together. You can post any discussion here still in the Expedition thread though I have moved it from the main screen.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#215 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid is quite amenable to the others choosing to learn the spells they would like. Is there any reason all three could not benefit by studying the tome and sharing their knowledge each gaining three additional spells? Sigrid will suggest that direction if it is permissible.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#216 Post by Spearmint »

Yes all is permissible.

The best is to discuss here, offer a solution and decide how you want to study them.

Check out the thread in the Of Gods & Magic thread to see the detail in transcribing a spell from a scroll and what you need to do in order to learn them.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#217 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

During her time at the Strumpet, she will try to arrange a private discussion with Cosmo and Sundance to see what their thoughts are on studying the spellbook.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#218 Post by Spearmint »

so to cut this short as Nordbo withdrew and a new player ateno has taken over Cosmo,

Sigrid, you can learn all three spells and list them as 2nd level. Sundance is not at a level to learn them yet and Cosmo can only cast Detect Invisibility presently.

-300gp to cover the material cost of learning each.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”