Character Generation

Rex
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Character Generation

#201 Post by sulldawga »

Is a Lance a Polearm or a Spear?

EDIT: And, roughly speaking, how likely is it that I will see mounted combat or a joust? Trying to decide if I should put some points there or not, especially since I don't currently own a warhorse.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#202 Post by Rex »

Marullus wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:59 pm
Rex wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:04 amNot sure what the Voice of Ages psionic talent is? Meant to ask this yesterday and forgot.
I asked about that in my first post - I rolled "unique" for psionic and proposed to take the idea from other dwarf RPGs. Telemetry is recent memory off any object. Voice of Ages is old memory but only off stone. "If these walls could talk" is real. (Particularly useful for delivering history and plot info as GM.) If you don't want that then regular Telemetry is fine.
Rex wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:04 amNeutral spells cost double when starting out so you are over by 3 points for your spells. I also have the old first edition spell book for Fyvrvia if you want a few more options. Easily converted.
Okay, drop Vine of Alguinas (IV), then I am one point unspent. There are no other 1pt spells in this book. What do you recommend from your other book?
Rex wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:04 amYou will be away from Azadmere (and the Godstone) on a mission for the king to start and will have mail and metal weapons.
For magic items you will start with a focus and 1 item with Talin's Eye.
Sounds great. Just let me know what she has... equipment is overwhelming.
Rex wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:04 amWe will need to figure out what herbs/fungus you know. You don't have Alchemy so most of the potions/ointments etc you can't make. But there are some you don't need alchemy for. Also note that there are 2 dwarf NPC's in play right now. Volin is a Pelehan mage with Alchemy (and Herblore). You will start with some based on what you know.
Are you saying I need to keep an itemized list of each herb I know? How do we want to do that? (I assumed I had knowledge and then rolled dice to be successful.) I made sure I backed Azadmere in their early bird window so that I would get the herb guide; I fully intend to immerse in that lore. :)

I do have Alchemy/2.

Not sure what you are saying about NPCs. That aspect of my PC is redundant? I can focus on other stuff.
Sorry, I thought we were just talking about Psychometry. I am fine with that for a unigue one. I will probably use the rules for Psychometry and since it is limited to stone only give you PSI+1 questions instead of PSI questions.

There are 2 more level I spells.
Putrid Hand increase the rate of decay for 1 pound of organic matter 100 fold (300 fold with CS). With a CSI of 51+ it can be used to cause gangrene in a living being (but will not spread or effect vital organs. Could still cost someone a limb).
Verdant Hand accelerates natural growth 100 times normal (300 with CS). Does not effect growth in adults initially but can at higher CSI (CSI 71+). Max increase on an adult is 1% of mass per use.
Note for both these spells: They have a duration, but it is the amount of time they are decaying or growing at an accelerated rate. Once either has occurred it is permanent. I can post a pic of the spell you pick or both if you would like to see them before choosing.

I will deal with equipment this weekend (see above post).

Sorry for my confusion. Contacts are important, I use them whenever I can. The Ivinians are a long way from home so less used but I try to sneak them in as I can (Arngeir's have been used for example). You will be in Chybisa to start (sort of, I will explain more this weekend when I get some posts up for the new players to get them integrated in). This means less chance to use your contacts that are in Azadmere. What I was trying to get at is the King and Queen are not official contacts. One is your father and the other a potential rival I suppose. I will deal with them as special NPC's as befits their importance. Keep in mind also that Khuzdul culture is very different from human culture. Females are 25% of births and are considered equals of males, in some ways they are treated as more important than males. But not coddled or hidden away. They train for war and fight, just in specific roles that make the survival of their species more likely. They learned from Kiraz, they are vulnerable if a foe targets the female population. The Queen may be a rival, but she will still view you as a valuable and important resource.

You pick Herbs just like you pick spells, you get Herblore SB herbs, but common costs 1, uncommon costs 2, and rare costs 3 points each. There are some fungus/dwarf specific ones that I will point out when I have a few minutes. Same thing for Alchemy, SB points ... You can learn new ones along the way from teachers or books etc.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by Rex »

sulldawga wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:25 pm Is a Lance a Polearm or a Spear?

EDIT: And, roughly speaking, how likely is it that I will see mounted combat or a joust? Trying to decide if I should put some points there or not, especially since I don't currently own a warhorse.
Lance is a polearm (no clue why, it just is).

Mounted combat is more likely than a joust, but not likely. That said I would recommend at least 1 point into Riding. If you do get into mounted combat (even on a riding horse) your Initiative is averaged with your riding skill for your effective Initiative.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#204 Post by Marullus »

Rex wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:46 pmSorry, I thought we were just talking about Psychometry. I am fine with that for a unigue one. I will probably use the rules for Psychometry and since it is limited to stone only give you PSI+1 questions instead of PSI questions.
Awesome.
Rex wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:46 pmThere are 2 more level I spells.
Verdant Hand is in the book, just moved to be level 2 now. (I did buy it.) So, I'll spend the last point on Putrid Hand. Thanks!
Rex wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:46 pmI will deal with equipment this weekend (see above post).
Thanks!
Rex wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:46 pmSorry for my confusion. Contacts are important, I use them whenever I can. The Ivinians are a long way from home so less used but I try to sneak them in as I can (Arngeir's have been used for example). You will be in Chybisa to start (sort of, I will explain more this weekend when I get some posts up for the new players to get them integrated in). This means less chance to use your contacts that are in Azadmere.
Understandable. #2 and #3 (dwarf court and Godstone) remain in Azadmere, but perhaps we take #1 (cleric) and put them somewhere nearby? Probably not even a dwarf, maybe a customer of herbs. The last three all don't like me, so you can put them whereever drives the story. :)
Rex wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:46 pmWhat I was trying to get at is the King and Queen are not official contacts. One is your father and the other a potential rival I suppose. I will deal with them as special NPC's as befits their importance.
Yeah, that's what I figured in the spoiler discussion. I want to record their names so I don't forget, but they're not "people I call on for favors" contacts.
Rex wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:46 pmKeep in mind also that Khuzdul culture is very different from human culture. Females are 25% of births and are considered equals of males, in some ways they are treated as more important than males. But not coddled or hidden away. They train for war and fight, just in specific roles that make the survival of their species more likely. They learned from Kiraz, they are vulnerable if a foe targets the female population. The Queen may be a rival, but she will still view you as a valuable and important resource.
That's good context! Thanks.
Rex wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:46 pmYou pick Herbs just like you pick spells, you get Herblore SB herbs, but common costs 1, uncommon costs 2, and rare costs 3 points each. There are some fungus/dwarf specific ones that I will point out when I have a few minutes. Same thing for Alchemy, SB points ... You can learn new ones along the way from teachers or books etc.
That's trippy!

Okay, I'll know: (Amended, thanks for the correction!)
Berilik (common) [Alchemy (battlefield anesthetic) and Non-Alchemy (tea)]
Fletherane (uncommon) [Non-Alchemy (dried and smoked)]
Habsulara (common) [Alchemy (mind-enhancer) and Non-Alchemy (tea, energy boost)]
Kithyl (common) [Alchemy (bleeding, infection) and Non-Alchemy (bandages, poultice, root paste)]
Lavaryctia (uncommon) [Alchemy (sleeping potion) and Non-Alchemy (tea)]
Quessel (uncommon) [Alchemy (paste cures infections)]
Raskile (uncommon) [Alchemy (abortifactant) and Non-Alchemy (tea, contraceptive)]
Tirageyth (common) [Alchemy (narcotic) and Non-Alchemy (chew leaves, euphoria)]
Zahuruk (uncommon) - for a subteranean mushroom [Non-Alchemy (light source)]
Last edited by Marullus on Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by Rex »

I am good with the cleric being in Chybisa. Maybe someone your clan deals with at times and you met them through that. Most likely Peonian.

You will be in the Anadel Highlands at some point in the not to distant future so may want to look at herbs that grow there.

Here are some dwarfish herbs: You don't have to pick from just these or any of them, just for ideas, Baneberry (UC, poison but grows in your area and you wouldn't want to confuse it with blueberry), Danistor (UC, fungus, excellent forage), Golbahna (UC, fungus, common Khuzdul condiment), Homura (C, fungus, poison), Hreyochor (UC, fertility), Jhalasta (R, liverwort, used to make toadspit), Joldraiven (R, fern, used to heal internal parasites), Olrui (C, stimulant), Quessel (UC, potent med), Zahuruk (UC but I would give it to you as C, fungus, food/light)

I will look up some alchemy stuff over the next couple of days. Have to work early tomorrow (Thursday) so not sure how my posting will be.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#206 Post by Marullus »

Ooops! We cross-posted. If you're giving Zahuruk as Common, I'll add Homura from your list.

Okay, I'll know: (Amended, thanks for the correction!)
Berilik (common) [Alchemy (battlefield anesthetic) and Non-Alchemy (tea)]
Fletherane (uncommon) [Non-Alchemy (dried and smoked)]
Habsulara (common) [Alchemy (mind-enhancer) and Non-Alchemy (tea, energy boost)]
Homura (common) (poisonous in any form)
Kithyl (common) [Alchemy (bleeding, infection) and Non-Alchemy (bandages, poultice, root paste)]
Lavaryctia (uncommon) [Alchemy (sleeping potion) and Non-Alchemy (tea)]
Quessel (uncommon) [Alchemy (paste cures infections)]
Raskile (uncommon) [Alchemy (abortifactant) and Non-Alchemy (tea, contraceptive)]
Tirageyth (common) [Alchemy (narcotic) and Non-Alchemy (chew leaves, euphoria)]

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by sulldawga »

Rex wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:21 pm Quick post for all 3 of you then on to Marullus' post.

sulldawga, go ahead and add 2 years to Ingram's age and spend 8 option points on his skills (including new ones if he wants). Remember an increase of 1 OML is 1 OP, 2 OML is 3 OP, and 3 OML is 7 OP. You will get more obviously by spreading them out. 1 OP to open a new skill as long as it makes sense or seems like an easy skill. If unsure just ask, but an example of something I might charge more for would be Alchemy, it doesn't really fit the build and would be difficult to learn as a hobby.

Everyone, I will be going through and doing equipment/inventory this weekend. Probably Sunday/Monday as we are playing again on Saturday. If you have any requests or ideas feel free to mention them. Lharzin will be getting the noble starting coin. I think Ingam is missing his riding horse and tack.
The character sheet I'm looking at has only two pages and I don't see any place to put his riding horse. I also don't see a place for his age either. Should I just list those manually in his personal thread?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#208 Post by Rex »

sulldawga wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:02 am
Rex wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:21 pm Quick post for all 3 of you then on to Marullus' post.

sulldawga, go ahead and add 2 years to Ingram's age and spend 8 option points on his skills (including new ones if he wants). Remember an increase of 1 OML is 1 OP, 2 OML is 3 OP, and 3 OML is 7 OP. You will get more obviously by spreading them out. 1 OP to open a new skill as long as it makes sense or seems like an easy skill. If unsure just ask, but an example of something I might charge more for would be Alchemy, it doesn't really fit the build and would be difficult to learn as a hobby.

Everyone, I will be going through and doing equipment/inventory this weekend. Probably Sunday/Monday as we are playing again on Saturday. If you have any requests or ideas feel free to mention them. Lharzin will be getting the noble starting coin. I think Ingam is missing his riding horse and tack.
The character sheet I'm looking at has only two pages and I don't see any place to put his riding horse. I also don't see a place for his age either. Should I just list those manually in his personal thread?
I usually just put age under notes or medical and you can just post the horse on your inventory/equipment post. Then we have been editing the inventory post as we go along.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by sulldawga »

3 points in Riding to raise it to 65.
1 point in Initiative to raise it to 98.
1 point in Polearm to raise it to 75.
1 point in Axe to raise it to 90.
1 point in Shield to raise it to 78.
1 point in Rhetoric to raise it to 75.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by Rex »

Looks good, he will be good dealing with people as well as combat.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#211 Post by Rex »

Matching up herbs known to Alchemy formula:

Herbs Known:
Berilik (common) [Alchemy (battlefield anesthetic) and Non-Alchemy (tea)] Ichor of Agrik (Common)
Fletherane (uncommon) [Non-Alchemy (dried and smoked)] Fletharasha (Common)
Habsulara (common) [Alchemy (mind-enhancer) and Non-Alchemy (tea, energy boost)] Uhla Oil (Rare)
Homura (common) (poisonous in any form)
Lavaryctia (uncommon) [Alchemy (sleeping potion) and Non-Alchemy (tea)] Heavy Curtains (Uncommon)
Quessel (uncommon) [Alchemy (paste cures infections)] Elmithra (Rare)
Raskile (uncommon) [Alchemy (abortifactant) and Non-Alchemy (tea, contraceptive)] Baby-can-Wait (Common)
Tirageyth (common) [Alchemy (narcotic) and Non-Alchemy (chew leaves, euphoria)] Halea's Tresses (Rare, illegal)

The most famous Khuzdul made potion, no herbs required: Eye-of-Dwarf (Common in Azadmere)

Same as Herblore you get SB points to spend (15 in your case). 1 for common, 2 for uncommon, and 3 for rare. Conveniently the above adds up to 15 if I did my math right. if you want some other options I can go through and get you some.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#212 Post by Marullus »

I'll give her a Light spear and an Average warhammer.
I've named her ponies Barri and Bildr. I've added her wagon (let me know what to subtract from wealth).
Her Mother is Herrithr, Apothecarist of clan Grimhald.

Posted at the top as the Active Sheet.

Return to “Rex's HarnWorld Campaign (HarnMaster Sandbox)”