Interest Check: Black Hack

Rusty Tincanne
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Interest Check: Black Hack

#1 Post by dmw71 »

I don't own the rules, but I would be interested in testing this game out.

Ideally as a player, but I would also be willing to buy/learn the rules well enough to run it, if necessary.

Edit: It turns out, I do own the rules. I would still prefer to try the game as a player (not GM), if possible.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Interest Check: Black Hack

#2 Post by Pulpatoon »

I'd be up for playing! I have both the 1st and 2nd edition, somewhere.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rex »

I own the rules and have run it for a couple of sessions. I am not sure I am the best choice as a DM since my players didn't really care for it and we haven't gone back. So I am not sure it fits my DM style, but if no one else is able to I would be willing to give it a go after I wrap up my Harn scenario.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

If Pulpatoon is okay running Knave and Maze Rats, I could run TBH 2e. (I know i don't have enough time to run more than one game.) It would be my first time running a PBP, and only second or third time running TBH. But I have poured over the rules many times and think I could do it justice.

I don't think that anyone would need to but the rules to play. It is close enough to D&D that I think folks could get by by watching a YouTube review. I'll look a couple up and see what might be best.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Pulpatoon »

Rusty Tincanne wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:30 pm If Pulpatoon is okay running Knave and Maze Rats, I could run TBH 2e.

Mashmellow
Squire
Squire

#6 Post by Mashmellow »

I would like to be a player in this game. The Black Hack seems like a cool system.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

So far I've got Dave (dmw), Pulpatoon, and Mashmellow interested in sampling this system. I could take a couple more without things getting bored down, I think.
Last edited by Rusty Tincanne on Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by dmw71 »

I, regretfully, will need to bow out of this one as a player. But, I will be following with interest.

Good luck, all!
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by tibbius »

In for a player.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Pulpatoon »

Shall we start making characters? Is there anything we should know or agree on before we get to it? Should we stick to core character options?

I see Tibbius has made a warrior. What are other folks thinking of playing? I'm happy to take whatever role will best fill out the party.

Mashmellow
Squire
Squire

#11 Post by Mashmellow »

I’m thinking of making a cleric.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Yeah! Let's get on this. We can do it with 3 people.

Of note is that I'm going to be pretty swamped for the next week or so. So it'll be a bit if a snail's pace. But I'll get a character generation thread going and get some relevant info up for you.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Pulpatoon »

Then to our Warrior and Cleric, I'll add one Conjurer!

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I'm going to move this conversation to this thread, in case anyone else wants to make characters. Which they will...
tibbius wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:17 pmI will say that I really prefer the rules in the 1e SRD. There is too much written into the 2e rules...
Would everyone be ok with me playing Thomas according to the 1e rules what I've written up on the character sheet?
I remember there being some things I didn't like about 2e vs 1e, but it's been a long time since I've looked at 1e.

I know this is a "let's see how this system works" event, but it still needs to be fun for the players As such, I'm okay with some alterations as long as e point out what we've house ruled.

Give me a day or so to look at the two systems and then let's chat about changes. I actually feel that Dealer of Death is OP'd, and would love to find a non-Vancian magic option. Perhaps even if the 2nd/3rd/etc time you cast the same spell you roll at disadvantage. (I've seen a nice option in another 2e PBP game that I'll try to dig up.)

As to your characters, i LOVE them! And you can keto you character sheet so long s it stays up to date. ;)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Hi all. I haven't forgotten about this. My wife was gone for a week and then came back with COVID. It's a "moderate" cause and she'll be fine, but it means I'm single parenting, plus running a B&B for my wife. :lol: plus work and a dog.

Tibbius: I did look into Dealer of Death (on the Black Hack Discord channel), and the rule isn't very dissimilar to the 1e rule. Dealer of Death allows you to choose how many damage dice go to each target, so if fit were 4th level, you could use 1 attack for 4 damage dice on the same creature, 3 attacks on 3 creatures (1 die, 1 die, 2 dice), OR 4 separate attacks on the same creature, or any combo of that.. The first and third option really just amounts to how many To Hit rolls you make.

So whether you call it Dealer if Death or not is really just semantics. Especially since we'll be playing at 1st level here.

Let me know if that is different from your understanding of the 1e and 2e rules.

I haven't looked at shield bash yet.

I'll PM you all when I'm able to move this forward again. In the mean time, ask any questions you'd like to.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Pulpatoon »

Wishing your wife a full and speedy recovery, and good B&B fortunes to you!

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by tibbius »

Rusty Tincanne wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:26 pm Hi all. I haven't forgotten about this. My wife was gone for a week and then came back with COVID. It's a "moderate" cause and she'll be fine, but it means I'm single parenting, plus running a B&B for my wife. :lol: plus work and a dog.

I'll PM you all when I'm able to move this forward again. In the mean time, ask any questions you'd like to.
I hope you'll all be well.

I feel like TBH 2e kinda exceeds the simplicity of the original, and I'm uncertain whether I like that.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Hi all.

My wife kicked the COVID, then I needed to go to visit my mom for a week. I thought I'd have time while there but she's downsizing, which, after 50 years in the same house... OUCH! Then I came back home and my oldest son had gotten the COVID. Anyhow, I'm back now. And excited!

A few things about this:
1. Character Creation. You all rock for going ahead with that, but I think we failed the purpose of this experiment by not showing what we did for our dear readers. Don't change anything about your characters, please (unless you want to). But I'm going to go back to that thread and do a bit of explaining how you all got to the end result.

2. Rather than creating a scenario, I've decided to let you all meander through The Gardens of Ynn. One of my favorite features on. TBH 2e is that the roll are "player facing." But all locations in thr Garden are randomly generated. I'l probably have you all roll up the locations. :D And I'll probably roll the events.

Hopefully I'll get everything rolling (see what I did there!?) this evening.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Pulpatoon »

I'm thrilled to be playing the Gardens of Ynn!

Would you like me to post a commentary on my char gen, explaining how the character came together? If so, where would you like it posted?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Rex »

I will work on a character later today. Do you just want me to walk through the process step by step in a post(s)?

Return to “Black Hack”