Chapter 1: Arnolst

GregS
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 1: Arnolst

#81 Post by Grognardsw »

Orando Magnus Gallus, mage

Orando smiled at Alfonso as the ranger coyly demurred expressing his opinion on pipe smoking. These humans, such a sensitive race. The wind blows in a wrong direction, or it rains too hard, or someone questions their pipe preference, and they get all uncomfortable.

“What a lovely barracks,” said Orando as they proceeded down the hallway.

As the wizened old man looked at Orando with his piercing gaze, the half-elf said in elven: “Greetings fellow practitioner, we come to offer our services in aid against the imminent raiders. Are you Arnolst’s resident wizard?”

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#82 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Alfonzo continues to ignore any smiling from the others.

He is content to do as they were told.

So, he waits.

Ythgar
Tracker
Tracker

#83 Post by Ythgar »

Demn

Demn waits, quietly making note of the details of the keep, it's doors, locks, windows, any other egress points, where the guards seem to congregate, and where they do not.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#84 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Jorlin quietly waits unless someone else says something the gnome for once will actually not talk.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by gurusql »

Gruz

Gruz waits as well.

GregS
Scout
Scout

#86 Post by GregS »

After a few minutes the door opens again and the gruff looking soldier steps out, closing the door behind him. He addresses Eril. Thank you, Captain, you've done well. Tell your cousin that his initiative has not gone unnoticed.

Eril strikes his breast, gives you all a farewell nod, and leaves the keep with a happily grinning Ern.

The soldier turns to you. Thank you for coming. I am Post Commander Waltron. I apologize for the seeming theatrics, but in our current situation we must take every precaution. He gestures at a door across the hall. If you would join me, we can discuss the problem that the Patrol Captain hinted at.

He strides across the hall and opens the door. Inside the room you see a long table with a light meal set at each of several places.Please, sit.

Sitting at the head of the table, Waltron launches into small talk as he eats and drinks. With easy banter and lighthearted questions, he encourages stories from each of you. You realize he is engaging you in this way to assess your abilities and experiences.

Finally he finishes and leans back. As the Patrol Captain told you, we have a situation. Arnolst is an ancient city. There are a number of things from before the breaking that we do not understand, we simply deal with them as best we can. Beneath the city is an extensive system of tunnels. We have investigated very few of them, and no one knows why they are there. Within these tunnels we have established and sealed off a secure perimeter that we patrol regularly. Two days ago, the patrol did not return. A follow up patrol was sent. They also have not returned. With the raiders massing, we're stretched thin. We don't have a spare patrol to send into the tunnels. I'm hesitant to pull any of our guards off the walls to send them down, but we have to get someone down there. The concern is that something has broken into our perimeter, or there has been a shift underground that has opened a new entrance. If your squad is willing, the assignment would be to find out what happened to the two patrols and re-establish the defensive perimeter.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Rex »

Bretina Quickshadow

"I am not opposed, but I do have a few questions. Has anything ever been encountered in the tunnels that is dangerous? Goblins, Monsters, Traps maybe?"

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by gurusql »

Gruz

"I, Gruz will also lend my axe, but I had two similar questions first when you said that you secured a perimeter, do you have a map of what you secured that we can have and second while I know that there could be something new what were you securing it against?"

GreyWolfVT

#89 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Jorlin "I have no problem going down in the tunnels, being a gnome it is not unfamiliar to me. Though I do worry with the tremors how safe is it down there? Perhaps neither patrols returned because something collapsed and there was a cave-in. Are there any known dangers or monsters down there to be aware of that your men might have encountered before?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#90 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Alfonzo seems fidgety but listens along to everyone’s tales as they eat.

“My story is much the same as any other, I suppose. After the breaking, as you called it, my people were scattered and lost, spread out into any safe place that would take them. The forests and glades shriveled and died, shrinking to a fraction of their once majestic expanses. That left most folks like me out in the dark, literally. I’ve been looking for something like this to do ever since.”

He agrees to aid Commander Waldron, though he has his concerns.

“I will help as well, though I wonder about fissures and the like, forming from all these tremors we’ve been having. If the patrols got gassed out by something venting up from below, we might be running into the same situation as the first groups.”

“Is there a way you know of that we can test the air or get some type of breathing protection?”

GregS
Scout
Scout

#91 Post by GregS »

Commander Waldron
We have a map of our secured area. I could have a scribe make a copy for you. It isn't a large area. We found nothing dangerous in the tunnels, the perimeter was established to keep out anything unknown, and to keep it at least a short distance from the city. Until now, it was just a routine patrol in a quiet area.

As for breathable air, we equip our patrols with a miner's bird when they go into the tunnels. We would do the same for you.

If everyone is agreeable, I can get the map started and we can begin preparations.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Rex »

Bretina Quickshadow

"What would we get in return for the aid and risk we would be undertaking? I am certainly willing to help, but even your guardsmen get paid for their service."

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Grognardsw »

GregS wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:22 am …, he encourages stories from each of you. You realize he is engaging you in this way to assess your abilities and experiences.
“I am a 200-year old sorcerer divinist, a half-elf of gigantic mirth and melancholy, to tread the stones of crumbling Earth under Gucci-tribe leather booted feet. I was rejected by my high born family for my unnatural beauty, and wander now in discontent and indifference. Living in a world where I often feel unappreciated at best, misunderstood or ignored at worst. Like the wizened old man did back there. Is he your town wizard, or a daft mute?”

“Now the world is dying, and Fate only occasionally deigns to look upon me. I suspect I adventure to fulfill some subconscious death wish. And to earn gold to fund my vices.”

“Beyond your perimeter we face tremoring earth to collapse passageways, never mind other subterranean dangers. Life is like a box of dungeons; one never knows what one will get. Gods, how I hate dungeons after all these years.”

“And beyond gold, we require an audience with your wizard and healing potions from your city church priests. Though we are epic heroes all, each of us is but a sword stroke away from death.”

GreyWolfVT

#94 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Jorlin "I suppose preperations are in order. I don't know how well my own healing prowess will work underground away from Pelor but it would be good to be prepared."

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by gurusql »

Gruz

Gruz seems happy his questions were answered, but he waits for the others to negotiate.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#96 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Alfonzo nods his agreement to accept the offer.

“A map would be a good start.”

GregS
Scout
Scout

#97 Post by GregS »

Commander Waldron rings a bell on the nearby wall, and another runner enters the room. He speaks quietly to the boy, who leaves immediately on his errand. He then turns to Orando.

Again, I apologize for the theatrics across the hall. We wanted to inquire if any ill would come from placing our trust in you. The old man you saw was from the Temple, not the Wizard's quarters. And yes, they will be happy to supply healing for your mission. As for an audience with the wizards, they would be glad to meet with a fellow practitioner. It must wait until after the raiders are dealt with, however. They are currently occupied full time with those preparations.

For payment, we can offer some coin for your services. We don't have much use for coin, but we can make a fair offer.

Beyond that, I told you that a small part of the tunnels had been explored. Our city records note that a number of fantastic items were found in that brief exploration. There have been discussions on and off throughout the years about plundering the tunnels for anything we can find, but security has always won out over curiosity. So, in addition to any offer of coin, you will also be allowed to keep anything you carry with you when you complete your mission.

The scribe should be busy with the map by now. Do you have quarters? There are some rooms on the upper floors of the keep that have been converted to living quarters if you would prefer to rest here while preparations are finalized. If you need to supply for the mission, we can arrange an advance payment. As I said, we don't have much use for coin, but our tradesmen do conduct monetary exchanges with those who pass through.
Or you could get me a list of what you need and I can have it filled out for you.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by gurusql »

Gruz

"Any of the following that you could supply would be of great help to me personally

Torches
Oil
Tinderbox
Heavy Crossbow and Bolts"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Rex »

Bretina Quickshadow

"Light for sure. A hooded lantern and oil would be good. Food, water, rope, cord, chalk would all be good too."

GreyWolfVT

#100 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Jorlin chimes in "If chalk is harder to come by charcoal would work."

Return to “Broken World (1e)”