Chapter 6: The Evil Queen & Her Fortress

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Chapter 6: The Evil Queen & Her Fortress

#1 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Fortress in the Gorge

Most of the group traveled for most of a day before finding a mountain goat like trail that leads up into the mountains. Eventually they could see a keep in the distance located in a gorge.

The keep stands in a 200-yard-wide gorge. Rather sneaky place to hide a base for an evil army come to think of it. A light fog covers the area and as the wild blows lightly you get mixed warm air when it comes from the east and south but as it switches directions and comes from the west it is chilly. You are about and hours time just after lunch time (1 pm). Scouting the area you note that there are several dry caves in the area that might work as temporary bases for enemies or that you might make into a base of operations if you plan to do as suggested and "hit & run" on the keep. Further scouting leads you to a slight cliff that you notice a recently looking uncovered mine entrance possibly. Some signs lead you to believe this is fairly recently opened up as the rocks show sign that they were moved. Your would estimate within the last day or two.

Looking at the keep more you notice it has walls built that go up to both sides of the gorge and have but one main entrance that is currently guarded by two ogres and gated. There are gargoyle looking statues above that entry point on the wall. Up on the parapet you notice some orcs with crossbows. The Keep is a good distance away and you are certain nobody can see you from the keep.

After finding the hidden fortress, the group encounters a pair of dwarves one being chased from a cave entrance by goblins, a hobgoblin and some sort of half-orc half-ogre creature. After slaying the creatures the group heads to a cave that Jivet scouted for them and sets up a sort of base camp questions one of the goblins and then kills it. While interrogating the goblin some of the others find a secret way in and out of their base camp cavern and it leads out more towards a trail that leads up and out of the gorge back into the mountains.

The group has now taken a short rest and recovered a little from the most recent battle. The only information you have gotten so far from one of the dwarves that joined the group and the goblin are this the cave is a mining offshoot of the fortress, and may well have a back way into the fortress but it has a lot of enemies inside that you might have to clear out. The fortress is designed so that there is no easy way around it in the gorge, the only way to do so is go back up into the mountains seek a trail that leads to the other side of the fortress and try coming in from the back if there is a way in from there. Otherwise your current options are frontal attack or head into the mines.

Actions?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 6: The Evil Queen & Her Fortress

#2 Post by Rex »

Egon

"Do we try the mines?"

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by shaidar »

Weston

"While I am certainly no expert in the arts martial, it does seem logical to me that our best option lies with the mines."

RiverGreenForest
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by RiverGreenForest »

Xlore

"The mines are our best option. I don't see why we should try to travel behind the keep and hope for a better entrance inside. If we stay in close formation, we will have a good defense."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rex »

Egon

"Agreed."

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by gurusql »

Delsenora

"I agree with the mines as well." says Delsenora with the song back in her voice.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Karaunios »

Kravoud

"I was about to say the mines, but you already said it."

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by Cwreando »

Trist

"Aye. I'd say let's try the mines."

Most of Trist's character sheet is updated. I'm working on spells now. Note. Jivet is up to level 3.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by shaidar »

Weston

"If we are heading underground, should we take the opportunity for a longer rest and changing up our spells to something more appropriate?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rex »

Egon

"If the casters need to rest that is fine with me, but the longer we hang out this close to the fortress, the more likely we are going to be discovered."

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by shaidar »

Weston shrugs

"I'm rested enough, and have the majority of my spells. I just wanted to check we all feel prepared enough. We may not get another chance for a relatively safe resting spot. If the group mandate is to push forward then I'm happy that.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by gurusql »

Delsenora

"Let's keep going"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rex »

Egon

"As we move forward I will keep an eye out for a good defensible hiding spot to rest up, it will also be good to have to fall back to."

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by Cwreando »

Trist

"To the mines then.....Jivet please scout ahead invisible for us no more that 100m. We can share sight and should you spot something come back so we can plan accordingly. To everyone...I'll send Jivet ahead we we're ready."

Trist gets in marching order and once at the mines she sends Jivet ahead.

OOC - Are we starting off rested with full spells or just with updated? Trist is updated with new spells and I created a character for Jivet and added to the campaign.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

GreyWolfVT

#15 Post by GreyWolfVT »

You all would have had time to rest as stated previously before the ogre battle and then added a short rest after that and regained or updated as suggested. Everyone would have all spells not used in the ogre battle or after fighting the goblins & friends
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by shaidar »

Apologies if I've caused any confusion. I've regained Hold Person from the short rest.

GreyWolfVT

#17 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Into the Mines

After a bit of a confirmation the group recollects themselves and readies up, and heads back out to the mine entrance Grimnar accidentally discovered. It is a good 360 feet from the cave you took on as your hideout location. The vultures are still feeding on the dead bodies or what is left of them. You notice as you get closer and skirt around where the carrion birds are feasting that the semi-hidden mine entrance is sealed back up in a rather clumsy goblin like manner. The entrance looks like a wooden door at first but as you get closer you note it is not a door but a wooden table up-righted on one end and shoved against the entrance. Shockingly, no guards are posted near the entrance on the outside.

Actions?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rex »

Egon

Egon will sneak up to the make shift door and see if he can see around it. He also checks for traps.

Move Silently 45 (55)
Hide in Shadows 45 (50)
Find/Remove Traps 30

GreyWolfVT

#19 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Egon's steps grow silent as he manages to blend into the early afternoon shadows. He does not discover any traps near the table "door" and surprisingly the table is just about the right size of the hole it fills you can't really see around it at all except the top but that doesn't do you much good since the opening is a bit taller than a dwarf. You can hear orcs talking on the other side though, mostly sounds like they are talking about how stupid dwarfs broke into the mine and now they are stuck on this crap guard duty post.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Rex »

Egon

Egon sneaks back and whispers to the others, "I heard some orcs complaining on the other side of the makeshift door. I didn't see any traps. It looks like we will have to fight our way in. Can someone silence the area, otherwise they may sound an alarm."

Return to “Archive”