Into the Mines

hedgeknight
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Into the Mines

#1 Post by hedgeknight »

Year of Shadows 1358 Dale Reckoning (DR)
9th of Ches (March), Morning, Cold and Cloudy...Fresh Snow

(Musical inspiration: https://youtu.be/y2EnV6wunZY)

Jarth Oneshield leads your company out of town, accompanied by several of his workers > mostly human, but a smattering of Dwarves are with them; Moan and Cu are out front a few yards. They ride in carts pulled by large draft horses...just like they have done for years. They hum a tune as they go; an old tune, one lost among those of the taller races. It's a hardy trek into the hills outside of Red Larch but there is an easy road, worn by many feet and carts for many years. As you get closer, Jarth, who has been silent thus far, speaks up.
"There be two ways into the mines proper. One through the mining offices and one via the bucket track. Both meet inside eventually, but it's up to ya which ye'd rather go in by. Me men will be there ta welcome ye and I'm hoping fer a warm mug o' wine before we go...in...side..."

His words trail off when the mining camp comes into view. The mining offices look demolished as if something crushed them. There is no sign of Jarth's men who sleep in shifts at the camp. The horses hold up, tossing their heads and stamping in alarm. Ahead, Cu growls, hackles bristling in warning as he crouches low and glances back at Moan who is about twenty yards ahead of the carts.

Moan is standing beside a very large footprint. There is no doubt of its source. When his companions join him, they see it clearly in the snow. It is a giant's footprint.

Actions?
Winter is coming...

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Into the Mines

#2 Post by Darithe »

Vesper pauses at the sight of the huge print. She quickly scans the area for any others to indicate the direction they were going. She was no tracker, but prints that size wouldn't be hard to find.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by tarlyn »

Kol

When Kol realizes what the footprint is, she starts to pace, grunting and fuming. Unsheathing her blade, she looks forward into the mines.

"We kill Giants, yes? Leave Frost Giant leader to me, he has much to pay for!"

The Babrarian spits on the ground and is eager to push forward.
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Raz eyes the giants footprint "Shouldn't take much of a tracker to follow those prints, you have much trouble with giants before Jarth?" he asks then realizing he is being rude he says a prayer for any souls of the lost dwarf miners that might have been crushed to death at the camp. "May Gond see the souls of any lost here, to the great afterlife, and ensure they meet up at the great halls of Moradin." he then starts investigating the scene looking for any that he might aid if any are still alive. "Hmm, you don't think dark elves work with giants do you?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by hedgeknight »

gigabeagle_footprints_1.jpg
gigabeagle_footprints_1.jpg (84.03 KiB) Viewed 938 times

Anybody else? Only three players posting?
Winter is coming...

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by gurusql »

Sorry for the delay, I think I missed we changed threads

Being out in the open, Mag will with his Short Bow out and an arrow nocked. "Dark Elves and Giants oh my - agreed, let's follow the prints."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by hedgeknight »

Darithe wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:30 pm Vesper pauses at the sight of the huge print. She quickly scans the area for any others to indicate the direction they were going. She was no tracker, but prints that size wouldn't be hard to find.
In the snow, the tracks are indeed easy to see. They are meandering in a northwesterly direction where off in the distance, about 600 yards away, is a hillock covered with trees. There are also spots of blood in the snow here and there, but whether from the giant or from something else, you are not sure.
Raz asks the mining foreman about trouble with giants, but there is no response as Jarth kicks the horses into gear and drives them toward the shambled mining camp. Calling the names of his men as he goes, Jarth's eyes are wild with fear and anger. Over his shouting, a voice finally answers and Jarth makes for a stumbling figure who has appeared from the debris of one of the buildings.
Mag readies his bow and Kol stomps around, blade in hand, eager to be after the giant.

In a minute or two, Jarth is on his way back to the main group, the man from the camp sitting hunched up beside him. When Jarth draws up, it is easy to see the other fellow, who several of Jarth's men affectionately call "Shorts." Shorts is a burly looking man with a stiff beard and hair. He barely has enough clothes on to cover him and his arms and legs (below the knee) are bare; his boots are fur-lined as is his vest and "short" breeches. His skin bears numerous scars and is quite filthy, but he appears to not notice the cold at all.

Jarth works his jaw back and forth, rubbing his beard until he finally says, "Shorts says the giant...got all the men. Scooped 'em up and stuffed 'em in a big sack, except for..."
"Except for Benny," Shorts says, his eyes distant. "The brute held Benny up in the air and gnawed both his legs off at the knee. Benny was screaming for help and we tried...but..."
The man's voice breaks and he looks off to the side, trying to catch his breath.

The footprints lay in front of you, heading toward the hillock.
Winter is coming...

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by gurusql »

Mag

"Let us follow the tracks with haste."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rex »

Moan

"Cu, can you get his smell from the track?" He points Cu onto the track and cuts him loose to track, following along and tracking as well. He has his bow in hand.

Does he know what kind of giant from the track and Short's description?

Sorry, missed the new thread.

GreyWolfVT

#10 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Razillin looks appalled at the story of what the giant did biting of someones legs "We should hunt the giant down, let's not waste time. I hope one of us has some remembrance of how to slay a giant with no casualties."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Rex »

Moan

"I do have some training in the ways of fighting giants, but I can't guarantee anyone's safety in a fight with them."

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by tarlyn »

Kol

"I kill two Frost Giants with my battle axe. I not remember much how cause I mad with rage"

pausing to actually think about it "I, um, we smaller, yes? Legs, knees , cut them down I thinking. Also.. surprise them and use

arrows in startegy places. Giant like us, just bigger. Eyes, face, even snu snu place a good place to shott arrows."

She closes her eyes and concentrates for a few minutes, trying to remember how she killed those two Giants.

Kol will try to remember how she killed both Frost GIants -

hedgeknight I rolled an int check on a d20 and was over by 5

Intelligence check to remember [1d20]=14

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by Darithe »

Winces as the man describes the fate of Benny. "I feel we have no choice. We must follow the tracks and make sure none of those captured meet the same fate." She glances to the others especially in Kol's direction since she knows she has experience in fighting such foes.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by hedgeknight »

Hunting Giants

In the cold hills outside of Red Larch, the companions of the Realms come to the same conclusion: follow the tracks to the giant and end this threat! Jarth's face grows redder by the moment; you can tell he's about to burst with anger.
"I'll...me and some of me men...will be stayin' here and continue our search for life. Maybe get things cleaned up a bit while the rest o' ye go in search of these fraggin' giants!"

Determined in their haste, the companions head out on the trail, with Cu in the lead and Moan following close behind. Moan believes these to be Hill Giants, and says so, much to Kol's disappointment. Cu takes off at a lope, easily following the tracks, which the rest of you also follow easily. As you travel, you notice a new addition to your group; another Elf...except this one has brownish skin and hair. The symbol of Mielikki dangles from his neck and he seems to be quite comfortable with his longbow.
(Welcome to the group, Karaunios!)

The tracks are easy to follow and soon you come within close proximity to the hillock covered with trees. As you have been traveling, Kol has been trying to remember how she killed the frost giants who destroyed her village. About thirty yards from the trees, Cu slows to a halt; the hackles on his back standing on end and a low growl emanating from his throat. The giant is near!

hillock.jpg
hillock.jpg (54.16 KiB) Viewed 890 times

Need some type of order as you approach/enter the trees. Pretend you are looking at the hillock and facing northwest. Also actions and perhaps even an initiative and attack roll in case needed. ;)
Winter is coming...

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by tarlyn »

Kol

Walking order Kol would like to be right after the trackers up front for melee action.

As they walk toward the mine Kol remembers something about the Frost Giants and relates it, halting everyone.

"Frost Giants no like Fire, but respecting it. Very important to trick them, Lotus Leaves. Attracts them and if put

in meat,,,, Frost Giants become very weak after they eat. This how I kill two. I having none left, but if we find any , maybe these Giants like

and also have same effect on them?"
Last edited by tarlyn on Tue May 17, 2022 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreyWolfVT

#16 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Razillin listens to Kol but shakes his head "No no Kol Hill Giants, not Fire or Frost Giants. I think similar to Ogres maybe?... Just much taller." the cleric tries to correct but gives up and readies for a battle. The gnome intones a prayer to Gond to bless the party in battle. (casting bless.) Then takes up his morning star.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Rex »

Moan

Moan advances straight towards the hill. Once even with Cu he motions the hound behind him, bow at the ready. If he sees the giant and it is within range he will take 2 shots at it.

2 shots per round rate of fire.

Short Composite Bow [1d20]=12 to hit [1d6]=6 damage
Short Composite Bow [1d20]=16 to hit [1d6]=3 damage

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by gurusql »

Mag

Mag will advance with Moan with his bow ready to fire at the same target as Moan when a giant is seen.

GreyWolfVT

#19 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Raz after casting his spell and drawing his morning star advances so he is with in range to heal anyone if they so need it. silly me made a gnome with no ranged weapons.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Karaunios »

Starkad

An elf with weathered skin, brown eyes and light brown to blond hair appears amongst Jarth's men. He wears green and brown colored clothes, made for survival in the green and dark forests of the North. A symbol of Mielikki hangs from his neck. He joins the travellers once they're separated from the group to follow the giants. He carries a long bow on his shoulder and introduces himself as Starkad, follower of Mielikki and used to travel between the wilderness around and the mine, bringing down predators and game when needed.

He gets his bow ready.

Return to “Forgotten Realms: Adventures in the North (1e)”