Ironguard: Merchants and Business thread.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Ironguard: Merchants and Business thread.

#61 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

"I am good with that, easier to carry anyway."

Sheet updated.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#62 Post by OGRE MAGE »

After some discussions and a few of the tutors giving a quick inspection, you get the following:

The gems, highly prized could be sold for a large amount, several thousand gold each. But the issue of whether they are indeed 'Soul gems' and whose soul might be inside is the interesting feature. Few people know much of the lore around such things, the presumption is that the gem is used almost as a cryogenic receptacle, freezing the soul or some essence of a person upon their death. Possibly they may be redeemed, the thought that the spirit could somehow leave the gem and inhabit another mortal body. Possibly the spirit could be contacted whilst in the gem and asked questions, maybe in line with the 'Speak with the Dead' spell.

A sage at the Collegiate may be engaged at a cost of 1,000gp per month to study the gems and report back any findings. A lot at the moment is speculative and without revealing too much of where and how you found them, the safe has little basis to research specifics.
Sven decides that another long term investment of his hard earned gold will need to wait for now.

He takes the time to cast a Detect Magic on them to see for himself if there is any more to them.

While the others are going to the churches and shrines, he accompanies them, asking around if he can purchase divine magic to be preformed upon the Soul Gems.

He is asking if anyone at the church's could cast a Speak With Dead on them, for a donation of course.
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Thu May 26, 2022 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#63 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Rex wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:36 pm Orgoth

"I am good with that, easier to carry anyway."

Sheet updated.
Done! :D

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Spearmint »

Merchants and Traders thread:

Buying and selling:

Dougal
Dougal is also looking for a wolfhound that can be either purchased (preferable) or commissioned to be trained.
Having travelled the road with a wolf in tow, the ranger seeks an animal companion of his own, a mangy critter that can track and fetch and if need be on cold Moorish nights, suffice as an extra wilderness blanket.

You go to the Citadel Kennels, seeing if hounds and mastiffs are available and if any pups might be sold that he can train. "Your luck is in. We had several litters last winter and the pups are boisterous and ready to be out. Most of the big ones taken by the nobles for hunting deer and orcs in the wood already but I got this runt one here. Chases his tail and licks his balls but can smell a rabbit at hundred paces and leap over a horse. Got a dopey face too, hair over his eyes and floppy ears. Yours for 25 gold. Fleas come free."

I will use the stats for 'wild dog' from the MM but as he grows and your train him, he can develope into a War Dog with extra traits.
Attachments
Wolfhound & Ranger
Wolfhound & Ranger
c5f95c887408902e730e792c1462cbd1.jpg (190.76 KiB) Viewed 370 times

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Spearmint »

Merchants and Traders thread:

Buying and selling:

Sven
Sven scours the markets for anyone willing to bring up and train a Rust Monster, if anyone like that actually exists. If he cant find the right person for the job, he knows he can post the work on the board back in Helix.

He then goes to any merchants who look like they might trade in healing salves and other natural unguents, hoping to procure an antidote for poison, if he can.
An exotic animal trainer will take time to find. So you advertise and leave your details. Anyone willing to apply will journey to Helix and meet you there in due course.

Apothecaries and pharmaceuticals are a nuanced trade. Avoiding the snake-oil salesmen trading from barrows hawking 'Copeland's Cure-all' and 'Hinn's Healing Honey: your 24hr miracle. Not for sale but a Love-gift to the ministry of 'not $100, not $90, not $75, just $59 gold and 19silver.' eventually you find a recommended herbalist.

Marcia, a druid attached to the Silvanus Temple who spends her latter years in concocting various anti-venoms to regular poison issues (snake bite, spider, poison ivy). "More exotic types need more specific knowledge. Absorbed through the skin like a contact poison from the Barrow Moor toads for example is a different toxicity to a snake bite. Affects different nerves or body parts. Ghoul touch, venomous drooling paralyzes the body but keeps the mind awake. Poison gas you inhale put you to sleep, don't feel a thing. Spider will incapacitate you to drag you off and feast in you later, lizard might bite you once and then watch you die. He knows you is contaminated and don't need to bite you again. You just go your way, then fall over and when you stopped jerking, he can tear you apart at ease."

She talks, endlessly but you get the impression she knows her craft and as a contact for someone like Gerdal who 'trials and error' various ideas, she might be a valuable aide.

You find too, a lot of things like healing salves, potions and lotions are 'one hit wonders', a snake-bite antidote could set you back several hundred gp (by the DMG, a potion of healing is worth 400gp). She can sell you a generic Spider or Snake or Scorpion potion (one dose) for 200gp.

If you export one of the Iron Cobras, she could study that particular venom.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#66 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven is content to leave details for any interested wildlife handlers to visit him in Helix if they want to attempt raising and training an exotic, non-violent monster.

He makes sure to get any details from Marcia the herbalist as well, trying to make a good impression on her in case he or Gerdal should ever need her services again.

"I think I will take one of your general purpose poison antidotes, just in case I have a little accident with a nasty snake or spider someday. Thank you Marcia. You know, I find myself in some strange places sometimes. Maybe you have a certain exotic or unusual item or two that you have been searching for that I could help you with someday?"

He happily counts out 200 gold coins to leave with his new acquaintance.

200gp deducted and potion added to sheet

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal gets the pup and strokes it.

"Good! I'm taking him! He'll stop chasing his tail once he gets something tae dae. I daen't knae aboot the ball living thaugh.

I'll train him well. Thank ye sir.

I'm going tae call him... Conmhaol*."

25gp deducted.

* Conmhaol (pronounced con-vel, “wolf warrior”). Took it from a website with odeas for gaelic names for wolfhounds.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Rex »

Nice, Love the name!

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#69 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo asked for 3 of the walnut staffs total just in case there’s an accident.

-80 gp. Is it that cost for three? I’ve subtracted 160 so far.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Spearmint »

Durgo. Noted. You can take enough composite strips for a single bow for 80gp so your 160gp will cover materials for two strong-bows.

Cwreando
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#71 Post by Cwreando »

Durgo

Durgo will check out the blacksmith/Armorer for better blades and armor to improve his abilities to melee better and hold up in a fight longer that won’t increase his encumbrance too much or improve it.
Trist Flameheart Multi-Class in progress Gray Elf Fighter/Mage 3/3 - Grey Wolf's Mystara Adventures (Ad&d 2e) Active
Durgo Brigthboon Fighter Human Level 3 - Spearment's Barromaze

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by gurusql »

Cadeweed

Cadeweed will follow the directions from Sven down to see Marcia in the lower district to look for some potions of healing.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Spearmint »

Merchants and Traders thread
Maybe you have a certain exotic or unusual item or two that you have been searching for that I could help you with someday?"
Sven talks with Marcia offering to locate any specific compounds she might need. Rather than be presented with an alchemist's shopping list, she suggests you bring her various poison glands, mandibles, stingers, spores that she can study.

As Cadeweed is recommended to visit, the halfling arrives and funds the druid busy at her tasks. He gets a similar welcome and reception.
You find too, a lot of things like healing salves, potions and lotions are 'one hit wonders', a snake-bite antidote could set you back several hundred gp (by the DMG, a potion of healing is worth 400gp). She can sell you a generic Spider or Snake or Scorpion potion (one dose) for 200gp.
Discussing various interests she offers you a strange carbolic soap. The large green block smells like a bleach or disinfectant and she suggests if you pursue an interest in defeating necromancers then at some point you might have to deal with a minion or two.

"I just made this today and it is untried. But I am sure if you liberally apply it over your skin it will render you with a scent coverall and mask any undead's ability to sniff you out.

At least that is what the theory is."
The soap is 30 gold. A basic healing potion is 400gp.

"Yes I know, you can hire ten clerics for that price but can you convince them to go delving with you? So these are no quibble potions, it dies what it says in the label."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#74 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven definitely wants to find out if that soap actually works! :lol:

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#75 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
Would like to purchase a healing potion & a poison antidote if any are still for sale.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Spearmint »

Fydmar
Would like to purchase a healing potion & a poison antidote if any are still for sale.
Fydmar you can join the visit to the druid alchemist with Cadeweed and can buy a single Potion of Healing 400gp and a general Neutralise Poison (snake, spider, scorpion) 200gp.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Spearmint »

Durgo
Durgo

Durgo will check out the blacksmith/Armorer for better blades and armor to improve his abilities to melee better and hold up in a fight longer that won’t increase his encumbrance too much or improve it.
You can find a quality armourer who can sell most armours of AC 8 - AC 5 types with off-the-shelf fits that just need a couple of days tailoring to suit. In the Citadel they will be book price +10% ( so chainmail AC 5 for 82gp, 10sp). Duchy Broadswords are 10gp. Helmets come in many styles, bull horned, visored, plumed. Prices according to specific tastes.

scottjen
Ranger
Ranger

#78 Post by scottjen »

Fydmar
Potions bought, gp deducted.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by gurusql »

Cadeweed

Cadeweed will buy one of each

Healing Potion - 400 gp
General Neutralize Poison (snake, spider, scorpion) - 200gp.
Carbolic soap - 30 gp

630 gp subtracted.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by gurusql »

Cadeweed

Cadeweed will then head to the jeweler that Sven recommended and attempt to purchase

2 - 100 gp pearls
1 - 400 gp gem (an emerald if possible)

Return to “Settlement: Ironguard Motte”