Ironguard: Collegiate Arcanum

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Ironguard: Collegiate Arcanum

#21 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

"Oh, I just met Mr. Moriartus a whale agoh and decided tae stick with him. He's a good employer and a loyal as a companion. We came here tae see if we can get a good prace for the trehsuirs we got in one of the barrohs... Then we're ganging back tae Helix and start the search for two mercenaries that came along with us in aur first expedition and got lost after a damned harpy charmed them!

And ye? Why are ye here?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

"Pretty much the same thing. Trying to get a good price for some items we recovered from the borrows. I don't think we really have any set plans for when we return yet. I think to some extent it will depend on what happens when we are gone."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#23 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The trio set about checking in at reception and getting a small tour of the library, knowing which shelves contain volumes on history, biographies, research. There are more specialized archives in a vault, not available to the general public. These might contain more ancient tomes though the access is restricted to authorized staff or scholars. (Taking a few months over winter as an intern might be an option to consider).

Roll a d6 please, that will indicate the possible information that you can find among the volumes at hand. Any specific interest or just general information on those topics mentioned?
If possible, Sven will use payments of gold to offer any staff or scholars who might be willing to do some research for him through the ancient tomes, looking for any information they can find on Ossithrax or about the history of the Barrowmaze/Mounds.

He also spends some time researching his new spell idea, hoping to enlist some apprentices who might help with the tedium of searching the many books.

He has gold to make a donation as well, but I was hoping to see how much we make on our items before deciding on the total amount to donate.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Rex »

Depending on how much we get Orgoth will be making some donations to the local temple of Cromm as well. But he needs to make sure he gets enough to cover what he will need to pay the smiths in Helix.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus
Spearmint wrote:Merlund receives the mage at his desk.

"Of course, Thanksgivings and benevolences are duty bound but also joyfully received. May grace and knowledge abound to you Moriartus for the gift."
Moriartus bows respectfully to his elder and retrieves four small bottles and a leather journal from his satchel. The former he places carefully on the desk for Merlund to examine, the latter he opens and flips through several pages. "Thank you for receiving me, Master Merlund. I had recently discovered four runic tablets. You can review my transcriptions and the observed effects here."

He hands the journal to the mage. "The bottles contain dust of faerie fire. An unusual effect from a misreading of the associated tablet. The longer verse on that page was inscribed onto a wall plaque. When sung, it animated a guardian mummy. The warrior described in the verse."

He pauses and fidgets a moment, appearing unsure how to phrase his next question. "I was also interested in learning more about worship of Arcantryl. Information about the rites and ceremonies. I would like to explore my relationship with Arcantryl more deeply, attain a level of communion similar to an initiate of the church."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#26 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Rex wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:44 pm Orgoth

"Maybe I can find something on Cromm Cruach. Plus I want to visit his shrine here at some point. And we need to do something with the Gold Drakes. I also have a couple of gems to have appraised. I need to come up with a little more coin for my armor."
Sven gives his friend another task, if the half-orc is willing.

"Maybe in your travels through the shrines and temples, you could look around for some more holy water vials we could purchase. Hopefully they will be a bit more reasonably priced here."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

"Good idea, I will ask about it as I check the shrines out."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Spearmint »

will edit update here later

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

"Orgoth. I'll come with ye. I've also have some moneh I could well spend in a wee offering for the gods."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

"Glad to have the company, but I need to hold off on my offering until I know how much coin we get from the stuff we are selling."

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

"Guid idea."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Spearmint »

Actions in the Collegiate Arcanium.

Moriartus

Is received by Merlund and the two discuss the recent expedition and the effects of reading from the Runic tablets. Feeble-mindedness, blessings, protections, animating undead, hands that turned into fiery balls of flame. Varied animations of blessing and curses. The faerie dust an after effect from the dissipating granules of stone dissolving as the words were invoked. So each tablet also carries risk of misculpability and manifesting a tangent effect.

The mage also meets up with Diomedes, a former tutor and over a couple of days, he stays in the Collegiate to take advantage of his mentor and upgrade his spell book retinue.
"I was also interested in learning more about worship of Arcantryl. Information about the rites and ceremonies. I would like to explore my relationship with Arcantryl more deeply, attain a level of communion similar to an initiate of the church."
The consideration is taken under thought. As you know, clerics of Arcantryl can learn mage spells as well as receive divine blessings. Usually the career path is taken that way around rather than vice versa though 'coming to faith' is obviously a choice or providence that happens any time. Merlund suggests that you spend an extended time at the Chapel, perhaps over the winter season to learn how acolytes go about their devotional duties.

Sven
If possible, Sven will use payments of gold to offer any staff or scholars who might be willing to do some research for him through the ancient tomes, looking for any information they can find on Ossithrax or about the history of the Barrowmaze/Mounds.
You can engage a scholar graduate in each area, they will spend a couple of days to compile notes and cross reference information. I will role them an intelligence test on each day and provide two findings that might be useful. The cost is 10gp each for three students so -30gp.

With the amber ingots sale, you take advantage of the benefit to learn the spell of choice though it takes a couple of your days to master the new magic.

Orgoth & Dougal both research the library regarding Cromm Cruach volumes and visit the nearby shrine. your requested rolls found these bits of information.

An old CC shrine was built upon one of the mountain tops of the Moon Peaks. Apparently the place was destroyed by giants who knocked over the pillars and threw an altar hearthstone off the mountain.

You find a picture of a white dragon which is being used as a mount by a cleric in a battle against a rider in a black dragon. Apparently the saddle and lance of the Cromm hero were buried in a barrow somewhere in the Barrow Moor.
holy water vials we could purchase. Hopefully they will be a bit more reasonably priced here."
Holy water has a set retail value of 25gp per stained glass vial. Only the Church of St Ygg's has the necessary font and anointed items to produce a quantity for sale. With the number of folk in the city, each adventurer can only purchase one.

the Temple to Silvanus has a font also but does not openly sell vials of Holy Water to non-adherents.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#33 Post by OGRE MAGE »

You can engage a scholar graduate in each area, they will spend a couple of days to compile notes and cross reference information. I will role them an intelligence test on each day and provide two findings that might be useful. The cost is 10gp each for three students so -30gp.

Great! 30gp deducted from sheet.

With the amber ingots sale, you take advantage of the benefit to learn the spell of choice though it takes a couple of your days to master the new magic.

He has decided to go with the Knock spell. (added to sheet)

Holy water has a set retail value of 25gp per stained glass vial. Only the Church of St Ygg's has the necessary font and anointed items to produce a quantity for sale. With the number of folk in the city, each adventurer can only purchase one.
-25gp from sheet and added 1 vial holy water

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Sheet updated for purchase of 1 vial of Holy Water and info.

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal scratches his head after finding all this information. "Not that I wuldna try tae gang faend this place and reconsecrate it, but... but. If there are still giants there I daen't think it is something we can affrant rate nae, is it?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

"Not at the moment, but perhaps some day. My friend Sven likes to say that knowledge is power or something like that anyways."

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Karaunios »

Dougal

"Hm. He could well be rate. Ye better knae aboot yer environs and the leh af the land before ye ambush yer enemies. That's hae I've alwehs daun it anyweh."

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Quonundrum »

Moriartus
"I was also interested in learning more about worship of Arcantryl. Information about the rites and ceremonies. I would like to explore my relationship with Arcantryl more deeply, attain a level of communion similar to an initiate of the church."
The consideration is taken under thought. As you know, clerics of Arcantryl can learn mage spells as well as receive divine blessings. Usually the career path is taken that way around rather than vice versa though 'coming to faith' is obviously a choice or providence that happens any time. Merlund suggests that you spend an extended time at the Chapel, perhaps over the winter season to learn how acolytes go about their devotional duties.
Merlund's suggestion left him with more questions than answers. Very likely due to his inability to really grasp the intuitive nature of faith. Moriartus generally perceives the world through what he can directly experience. Cause and effect. Intonation and somatic application of specific arcane syllables, sigils, and symbols to produce a specific magical effect. Clerical magic is just ... different, in a way he is yet to fully grok.

He shifts his attention to the study of new spells while at the Arcanium. While with his old mentor Diomedes, he asks him about the staff he found held by the statue of Set. "I believe it has other properties, but I thought a more experienced mage would have better results identifying them. Do you know of anyone who offers this service?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#39 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Returning to the Arcanum after the sale of their gems, Sven approaches those in charge, hoping they can provide the young mage with another service.

"I have a pair of stones in my possession that have been referred to as Soul Gems. These are highly valuable diamonds that a few people in the know about such things had suggested I have investigated further. Is there one here who could take a look at them for me, please?"

For emphasis, the mage accidentally jingles his very full coin purse quietly.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Spearmint »

Actions and research in the Collegiate Arcanium.

Orgoth you can buy two holy water, one for Sven as well so add one each and minus another -25gp.

With Dougal you discuss information on a forget shrine and piece of Cromm history. Certainly the mountain tops are venerated among the faithful which is echoed with the popular motto "No mountain high enough", alluding to man's resilience and ability to overcome every challenge. This particular shrine seems located well in the south of the Moon Peaks and would indeed take a committed expedition to locate the ruins.

Moriartus
He shifts his attention to the study of new spells while at the Arcanium. While with his old mentor Diomedes, he asks him about the staff he found held by the statue of Set. "I believe it has other properties, but I thought a more experienced mage would have better results identifying them. Do you know of anyone who offers this service?"
Your mentor raises an eyebrow at your suggestion. He reminds you that to graduate you gained the ability to cast Identify yourself and it is incumbent upon you to gather the requisite material components (a pearl worth 100gp, an owl feather, a live carp or goldfish or similar catalytic substitutes). Generally a mage who offers Identify to others does so for 200gp which includes the spell materials and his own time, effort and labour. Labour it is, for it often affects the Constitution to the point of collapse.

Of course no Identify cast is guaranteed to be perfectly accurate and each magic item might balance risk with reward for any item with a curse may manifest that upon the mage during the spell casting. Pearls are available on a first come, first served basis and cost presently 110gp due to demand.

Moriartus scouts for a Mage to Identify: y / n? [1d2]=1

You can find a willing student to take the staff and cast the spell but he wants 220gp and will take a full day to concentrate upon the task. A higher level student who might have more % chance of accuracy divining will cost 330gp. You can buy the materials and take a day yourself for base cost.

Sven:
"I have a pair of stones in my possession that have been referred to as Soul Gems. These are highly valuable diamonds that a few people in the know about such things had suggested I have investigated further. Is there one here who could take a look at them for me, please?"

For emphasis, the mage accidentally jingles his very full coin purse quietly.
After some discussions and a few of the tutors giving a quick inspection, you get the following:

The gems, highly prized could be sold for a large amount, several thousand gold each. But the issue of whether they are indeed 'Soul gems' and whose soul might be inside is the interesting feature. Few people know much of the lore around such things, the presumption is that the gem is used almost as a cryogenic receptacle, freezing the soul or some essence of a person upon their death. Possibly they may be redeemed, the thought that the spirit could somehow leave the gem and inhabit another mortal body. Possibly the spirit could be contacted whilst in the gem and asked questions, maybe in line with the 'Speak with the Dead' spell.

A sage at the Collegiate may be engaged at a cost of 1,000gp per month to study the gems and report back any findings. A lot at the moment is speculative and without revealing too much of where and how you found them, the safe has little basis to research specifics.
You engaged three scholars, paying them to research the specific themes. I rolled a check vs their intelligence and determined that the more they passed 4d6=4 being a critical success / =24 being critical flunk. The more they succeed to better the info.

Ossithrax scholar vs 16 [4d6]=12[4d6]=16 Maze scholar vs 14 [4d6]=20[4d6]=14 Mounds scholar vs 15 [4d6]=15[4d6]=14

Ossithrax: The dragon was buried alive in his lair by the barbarians who fought him, the dragon jealously guarding his pile of golden treasures.
The lair was a grand temple portico of ruined pillars with a great statue to Nergal.

Certain treasures of Ossithrax (tapestry?), contain remnant essence of his soul and even in death, his spirit searches the treasures out so they may be reclaimed.

Barrowmaze: Nergal and his subservient demons built a lot of the Maze, extending the labyrinth alongside subterranean tombs built as mausoleums to noble or notorious heroes. But as his power waned, he left the Barrowmaze construction unfinished and abandoned. The maze was then occupied by wandering creatures. A door leads to each level of the Abyss and each time you go through a door you have a 1 in 666% chance of going to hell.

The Barrowmaze is said to contain many traps and portals built to confuse explorers. The more of the Maze you map, the crazier you become until you go mad. Your sanity decreases with each increase in revelation or discovery. Some portals are one way only (especially the ones leading to hell) and using them may initiate some personal affect such as gender change, body dismorphia (grow an extra arm, head, horns, tail), gain or lose an ability statistic.

Barrow Mounds: There are more than four score large barrows in the meadow, hundreds more upon the Moor. Each is unique and range from common graves to marbled mausoleums. A guardian spirit watches over each tomb and blesses you if you leave an offering at the entrance.

At night, the Moor mist forms into the ghostly spirits of those who have died exploring the Barrow Mounds and they parade as haunts to their misfortune. If you die in the mounds you will come back as undead.

So these are some bits of information that may help or hinder your future Barrowmaze choices.

Return to “Settlement: Ironguard Motte”