Barrowmoor: Exploration and Ecdysis.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Barrowmoor: Exploration and Ecdysis.

#381 Post by Spearmint »

Assuming we can rest before they depart, Raust will cast Detect Magic again to ensure we know if any of the items listed have an aura, and whatever we an learn from it. (What's the process to identify?)

Raust's expressed interest is in the Druidic scroll, the scimitar (preferred by druids), the Amphisbaena earrings (to keep the snake-themed accoutrements to her new role) and nose ring... perhaps the protection scroll, as the previous Mistress may have known something I don't...
No don't assume. You can plan to stay overnight if you wish or with the death of the Naga Mistress, decide leaving now is best. You don't actually know the exterior exit of the cavern system yet unless you wanted to swim back through the underwater rock-pool passage. It might be more prudent to leave the caverns by the waterfall and trek the mile or so to locate the side ravine that leads to the Hurtloam Cave.

If you can cast Identify, you can do so if you have the material components, but as Isvand might testify, that spell comes with specific Constitution risks and the spell caster could be bedridden for many hours afterwards in order to recuperate.

I wonder if advancing using the three healing virtues you have; potion of healing (2d4+2hp), skull of healing gel (2d4+2hp, could be halved d4+1) and Cure Wounds (1d8) spell on the scroll. This would put some of the group in better order prior to any trek back or exit plans. You need to agree to use those but if you do, then roll for the health back and tell me who they are applied upon. Your current health status is as follows:

Raust: 6/8
Gerdal: 2/5
Isvand: 13/13
Dale: 3/11
Traeliorn: 8/10
Venwynn: 10/17
Ricardo: 6/8
Pasquel: 2/6
Marcel: deceased.

My other thinking is actually geared towards Raust influencing some of the supplicant Orphidians to trek with you all back to the Herne Shrine (picking up wolves, Marcel's body, the bound figure on the totem, the mammoth tusks) along the way. Then the druid returns to the caves with the Orphidians and the others split back to Helix. A long trek either way, but in greater force you may have less trouble to deal with should encounters be rolled?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#382 Post by Marullus »

Spearmint wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:34 am My other thinking is actually geared towards Raust influencing some of the supplicant Orphidians to trek with you all back to the Herne Shrine (picking up wolves, Marcel's body, the bound figure on the totem, the mammoth tusks) along the way. Then the druid returns to the caves with the Orphidians and the others split back to Helix. A long trek either way, but in greater force you may have less trouble to deal with should encounters be rolled?
I support this. I will bring as many supplicants as feasible, establishing and deepening ties. I will identify the most promising lieutenants and establish their loyalty as Retainers.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#383 Post by sastaz »

Okay, so about the healing I would suggest Gerdal, Dale and Pasquel should be healed first. Gerdal can suffice with d4+1, so that would leave a d4+1 for...Raust?

I will now boldly assume Gerdal can have one of the d4+1 heals.

half of skull healing gel: [1d4+1]=2+1=3 ok so back to 5/5, phew

Gerdal would actually land at 5479 xp since she got a common +100 xp bonus along the way.

Hp roll: [1d4-1]=4-1=3 for new level, nice (yes she has CON of 5)

Travelling back with the orphidians sounds fine. Then I assume Raust will cast Detect Magic when we get back and rest.

Tally of loot:
  • mass of assorted coins which comes to a combined value of +73gp per full share player character.
  • ten assorted gems which on first glance would appraise between 50-80gp as semi precious uncut stones (citrines, jaspers, onyx, moonstones)
  • a fancy gold Amphisbaena shaped set of earrings (torn from the Naga's earlobes)
  • a necklace of different precious gemstones, coloured as a rainbow with from fiery orange opal to violet oriental amethyst. (with the precious stones circa 100gp each and the chain, it is probably worth up to a four figure sum?)
  • a nose ring, which is made of gold and probably more suited to a finger than a septum.
  • veneered walnut vanity box that contains six Sardonyx and Agate rocks
  • scaly parchment tied with a ribbon of fur (Slow Poison & Resist Fire)
  • a scroll of Protection from Demons, (as scripted by the Naga Mistress herself).
  • a scroll of mage spells: Water Breathing, Magic Mouth and Darkness 15'ft radius.
  • a scroll of cleric/druid spells: Cure Disease, Detect Charm, Cure Light Wounds and Fire Trap.
  • a map of a Barrow interior, labelled Cruxus, 'the giant slayer' The map suggests a location in the foothills of the Moon Peaks.
  • splinters of crystal shards worth a few gold each
  • obsidian knife fitted into a hilt of softer green malachite stone, carved into a squat priestly figure
  • large skull with lid filled with fungal gen (healing potion?)
  • two one Flagelliform glands that produces spider web
  • a nice, ivory hilted curved scimitar blade. It looks quite sharp and is etched in ancient Mercian runes.
  • two potions, one looks a typical Healing potion, the other is unidentified.

SM, which ones of our NPCs/retainers get full / half treasure shares respectively?

As soon as I know I can draft a suggested treasure division, which can be fiddled with. Maybe we should wait for the Detect Magic before dividing loot?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#384 Post by Spearmint »

NPC's all get a 1/2 share of any treasure.

Of course you balance that out, I can make certain suggestions from my own POV if there are obvious allocations but generally I prefer characters to sort it out as equitably as you can.

The Orphidians will certainly not be able to travel closer than the Herne Shrine and even then, that might be dangerous territory for them, bearing in mind their responsibility for the assault. So pending a few private conversations and thoughts, the return trek is not a foregone conclusion. I addressed the xp issue primarily for Raust who is choosing to stay with the Orphidians, so we have an idea of awards and levelling up.

Raust will be about 150xp short of levelling up which could be attained via the memorials, tributes, bard song, class investments, charity donations. So she can level up when back in the caverns.

Everyone else, (Gerdal, Isvand) will level up once back in Helix.

Sorry if it sounds a bit confused, I was trying to not drag things out.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#385 Post by sastaz »

So let's travel back, cast Detect Magic, and then do the split - when we know what's enchanted and what isn't.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#386 Post by Marullus »

Spearmint wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:32 am Raust: receives 1572xp taking her to 1872/2001xp. (I am sure via any tributes, bard songs and class investment that we can cover enough xp to get you to level up too)
As a druid with both WIS and CHA over 15. She gets a 10% bonus, which is another 157xp. So, she should level with the others. (Now? At town?)
sastaz wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:20 pm So let's travel back, cast Detect Magic, and then do the split - when we know what's enchanted and what isn't.
Concur!

Oh, and Raust burns some naga meat as tribute to Herne at their first fire and bags the Naga head to present to the Duke. :D

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#387 Post by sastaz »

Marullus wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:17 pm Oh, and Raust burns some naga meat as tribute to Herne at their first fire and bags the Naga head to present to the Duke. :D[/ooc]
Good thinking! There might be a bounty for us :)

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#388 Post by sastaz »

So, I guess that means we start travelling home...

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#389 Post by redwarrior »

Isvand approves of loot!

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#390 Post by Spearmint »

The Orphidian Menace.

There is a lot of confusion among the Orphidians after their Naga Mistress has been beheaded and a number of their warriors slain. While many go into a retreat mode, fleeing back to dark niches of the initial caverns, others from the War-camp split into factions of those who surrender to the victorious group and those who still harbour an antipathy.

While not openly hostile, Raust will need to win 'hearts and minds' in her effort to change the faith and culture of these physically transformed serpent folk.

The treasures of the Sanctum are sacked up. Wary of still present danger, the healing gel from the skull, the potion of Healing and the Cure Light Wounds scripted upon a scroll are all used to restore health across the party.

Raust: 8/8
Gerdal: 5/5
Isvand: 13/13
Dale: 10/11
Traeliorn: 8/10
Venwynn: 10/17
Ricardo: 6/8
Pasquel: 6/6
Marcel: deceased.

After some discussions, the following plan is out in to motion.

Raust (and her wolves, Carca & Numma) and Venwynn determine to stay with the Orphidian tribe. Taking over as 'druid Mistress of Herne'. You can appropriate the XP award now and upgrade any skills. You will be those 100+ XP short of levelling up but they can be gained via the usual downtime methods. So if you wish to donate a portion of gp to say support a tribute to Marcel, then you can gain the reciprocal XP exchange.

Isvand, Gerdal & npcs, trek back towards Helix, to report to Lord Krothos if the missions success.

my feeling here is that if the whole party trek back, 25+ miles, then Raust will lose her ability to rule over the Orphidians who in her absence might just devolve into a brigand tribe ruled by the strongest Orphidians.

The team say their goodbyes, wish each other luck and promise to send supporting aid as soon as possible.

let me know then, what treasure share is given to Raust and Venwynn.

I will set up a new separate thread for continuing with Raust's endeavours. For now, you take your XP, treasure and wolves and begin to organise your conversion therapy.

Trekking the Barrowmoor.

The group leave the Orphidian Caves. You insist on taking with you the person tied to the totem pole. She is a middle aged woman, an albino with red eyes who talks a strange language. She does not speak common at all and is as equally fearful of the group as she is off the Snake-men. She does though show gratitude for being released and follows, at least out of the caverns. In the faint rays of sunlight that filter through the mist, she shrieks, shielding her eyes and covering her face. She walks behind you, hunched over, covering herself with any Hessian sacks or linens that could tie over her as a veil or turban.

The group try to retrace their steps, firstly going back in the direction of the Runic Menhir. Without a ranger to guide your steps and with the heavy mist concealing all, your trek is slow and fraught with danger and missteps. Traeliorn though does have his enchanted bow which when he looses an arrow, the shaft burns and flies in a true north direction. It gives you a basic direction to take. Dale cuts a path beside him, Ricardo & Pasquel bring up the rear. That leaves Gerdal & Isvand to walk and talk if they can with the rescued figure.

Patra-patra, or words to that effect as she calls herself. She is clearly traumatised, sticking close to you only because running off into the mist is a worse option. Asking via gestures and rudimentary sign language, throwing in the odd dwarven or goblin word, you learn that she may come from a subterranean culture. She does not have what you might consider to be typical 'Neanderthal' features of almost ogrish heavy brow and flat foreheads, bulbous ears. Rather she is of typical feminine human proportions, her hair short cropped, bleached curly hair. She is dressed in a combination of silken robes worn in toga fashion and leather skirt and boots made from reptilian or crocodile skin.

actions please for Gerdal & Isvand as you trek back. You can add your XP once you reach civilization, (maybe even gaining more if trouble, encounters occur ...).

actions please for Raust to confirm this plan and any actions you would initiate with the Orphidians.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#391 Post by redwarrior »

Isvand asks Gerdal about the tea leaves as he walks beside her, every now and again, drifting to the left or right, looking for any signs that we are being followed.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#392 Post by sastaz »

Ah yes, Gerdal will perform an Augury at a suitable time during the trip back home. It can focus on Isvand, if he requests it. Gerdal would also like to know what fate has in store for herself and the poor subterranian woman. Speaking of which, Gerdal will really try to befriend her. Could be an interesting NPC!

Apart from this I think we're heading straight home.

I don't know why I'm thinking about waiting for Raust to cast Detect Magic. Gerdal can cast it herself and will do so before suggesting any division of loot. What seems to radiate magic?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#393 Post by Spearmint »

okay. I will retro Gerdal using the Detect Magic back in the Naga sanctum so Raust can have some input if any is required. Perhaps you can agree what treasure stays behind with Raust and Venwynn as their share and how you divvy the trove up.

Tally of loot:
mass of assorted coins which comes to a combined value of +73gp per full share player character.

Ten assorted gems which on first glance would appraise between 50-80gp as semi precious uncut stones (citrines, jaspers, onyx, moonstones).

A fancy gold Amphisbaena shaped set of earrings (torn from the Naga's earlobes).

A necklace of different precious gemstones, coloured as a rainbow with from fiery orange opal to violet oriental amethyst. (with the precious stones circa 100gp each and the chain, it is probably worth up to a four figure sum?).

A nose ring, which is made of gold and probably more suited to a finger than a septum.

Veneered walnut vanity box that contains six Sardonyx and Agate rocks.

Scaly parchment tied with a ribbon of fur (Slow Poison & Resist Fire).

A scroll of Protection from Demons, (as scripted by the Naga Mistress herself).

A scroll of mage spells: Water Breathing, Magic Mouth and Darkness 15'ft radius.

A scroll of cleric/druid spells: Cure Disease, Detect Charm, Cure Light Wounds and Fire Trap.

A map of a Barrow interior, labelled Cruxus, 'the giant slayer'. The map suggests a location in the foothills of the Moon Peaks.

Splinters of crystal shards worth a few gold each.

Obsidian knife fitted into a hilt of softer green malachite stone, carved into a squat priestly figure.

One spider flagelliform gland that projects spider webs when squished.

A nice, ivory hilted curved scimitar blade. It looks quite sharp and is etched in ancient Mercian runes.

Potion: unidentified.

The above listed is investigated under the detection of magic aura. The scrolls and potion have obvious enchantment traits. Of the other items, the ring worn through the Naga's nostril pings with an aura of 'Alteration', the potion aura suggests an 'enchantment or charm' effect. Rather than increasing a person's strength or physique, it improves their ability to sway, negotiate or persuade with others.

The scimitar, as described, looks an ancient weapon, the runes are 'words of power' that have two effects. One is to coat the blade in tongues of fire and the second rune is a spoken 'Command' (as per spell of the same name).

discuss division of treasure so I know who gets what.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#394 Post by sastaz »

Treasure list with magic items marked with underscore:

Tally of loot:
  • mass of assorted coins which comes to a combined value of +73gp per full share player character.
  • ten assorted gems which on first glance would appraise between 50-80gp as semi precious uncut stones (citrines, jaspers, onyx, moonstones)
  • a fancy gold Amphisbaena shaped set of earrings (torn from the Naga's earlobes)
  • a necklace of different precious gemstones, coloured as a rainbow with from fiery orange opal to violet oriental amethyst. (with the precious stones circa 100gp each and the chain, it is probably worth up to a four figure sum?)
  • a nose ring, which is made of gold and probably more suited to a finger than a septum, has a magic aura of 'Alteration',
  • veneered walnut vanity box that contains six Sardonyx and Agate rocks
  • scaly parchment tied with a ribbon of fur (Slow Poison & Resist Fire)
  • a scroll of Protection from Demons, (as scripted by the Naga Mistress herself).
  • a scroll of mage spells: Water Breathing, Magic Mouth and Darkness 15'ft radius.
  • a scroll of cleric/druid spells: Cure Disease, Detect Charm, Cure Light Wounds and Fire Trap.
  • a map of a Barrow interior, labelled Cruxus, 'the giant slayer' The map suggests a location in the foothills of the Moon Peaks.
  • splinters of crystal shards worth a few gold each
  • obsidian knife fitted into a hilt of softer green malachite stone, carved into a squat priestly figure
  • large skull with lid filled with fungal gen (healing potion?)
  • two one Flagelliform glands that produces spider web
  • a nice, ivory hilted curved scimitar blade. It looks quite sharp and is etched in ancient Mercian runes (tongues of fire / 'Command')
  • two potions, one looks a typical Healing potion, the other has an 'enchantment or charm' effect

I see there's two magic items here (ring & scimitar), to be divided by the three of us :)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#395 Post by Spearmint »

you only have one potion. The healing one was used to boost health on the return trek and the Cure Light Wounds read from the scroll, so mark that as used as well please.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#396 Post by sastaz »

Spearmint wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:58 am you only have one potion. The healing one was used to boost health on the return trek and the Cure Light Wounds read from the scroll, so mark that as used as well please.
Will do, as soon as I get to my computer. In the meantime, it looks like the (main) division between our PCs is going to be

a) the scimitar
b) the ring
c) valuables

Since I guess we all want a/b before c (?) I suggest we roll d100 each, then pick in order, highest first.

If you agree, please roll d100 :)

And let the dice roll where they may.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#397 Post by sastaz »

Maybe to speed things up, if you think it's fair, the GM can roll d100 for each PC and highest gets first pick of:

a) the scimitar
b) the ring
c) the necklace

If acceptable, Gerdal will pick the ring if it's still left when it's her turn.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#398 Post by redwarrior »

Isvand, always the gambler, pulls a set of dice out of his pouch. Come on, daddy needs a new ring! and rolls the bones.

Loot Scoot Boogie [1d100]=90

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#399 Post by sastaz »

Always the high roller! :)

Let the good times roll: [1d100]=83

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#400 Post by Spearmint »

Well, the treasure division is generally a decision players make and you have to balance things between yourselves as characters and also any NPC's. (treat them well, your reputation grows, loyalty is increased. Treat them poorly and you get an opposite reaction when your face morale tests or in future interactions with them).

I can put in my view for your consideration. So looking at the loot list, I might advise as follows:

mass of assorted coins which comes to a combined value of +73gp per full share player character. actually leave all this coinage, a mixed sack of coppers, silvers and gold with Raust and Venwynn in the Orphidian Cave. The justification is this gives them a bank of coins to help the Orphidians begin honest trade with neighbouring tribes or settlements and also shows to the 'supplicant Orphidians' that you are not just robbing them or intent on their annihilation but committed to converting their culture.

Raust a fancy gold Amphisbaena shaped set of earrings (torn from the Naga's earlobes), taken by Raust as her trophy from the encounter.

A scroll of cleric/druid spells: Cure Disease, Detect Charm and Fire Trap. The Naga had a gaze charm ability. Whilst Detect Charm is usually a clerical spell, with study of 'Orphidian & Naga culture and lore', I could make a case for this to become a druidical spell too. Living amongst lycanthropes, having an ability to Cure Disease to stop you turning yourself should you get bitten, might be a valued failsafe asset to have.

Ivory hilted curved scimitar blade. It looks quite sharp and is etched in ancient Mercian runes (tongues of fire / 'Command') a druidical or fighter's blade.

Veneered walnut vanity box that contains six Sardonyx and Agate rocks. for Venwynn and Raust, semi precious stones valued 50-80gp each.

Isvand Flagelliform gland that produces spider web. A single use weapon to cause an explosion of webs.

Unidentified potion., one that causes an increase in charisma(?).

Gold ring, has a magic aura of 'Alteration',. The other two items are single use, so this gives Isvand a permanent trophy from the encounter.

Gerdal Scroll of mage spells: Water Breathing, Magic Mouth and Darkness 15'ft radius. Each of these need to be transcripted to learn into spell books and memories or may be cast as a single use spell. As a general rule, spells are valued circa 200gp per spell level so these three spells would have a value of 1,400gp.

Scroll of Protection from Demons, (as scripted by the Naga Mistress herself). Protection scrolls can be used by any class. Another single use spell. Having made a tenuous covenant with a demon goddess, this might be a failsafe item for Gerdal too.

NPC's

A map of a Barrow interior, labelled Cruxus, 'the giant slayer' The map suggests a location in the foothills of the Moon Peaks. Ricardo & Pasquel can take to encourage further adventures.

Obsidian knife fitted into a hilt of softer green malachite stone, carved into a squat priestly figure
Dale could take as a token of the expedition.

A) Ten assorted gems which on first glance would appraise between 50-80gp as semi precious uncut stones (a mix of citrines, jaspers, onyx, moonstones)

B) A necklace of different precious gemstones, coloured as a rainbow with from fiery orange opal to violet oriental amethyst. (with the precious stones circa 100gp each and the chain, it is probably worth up to a four figure sum?)

these above two items could be liquidated in the Rosy Quartz or in Ironguard, you could expect a return circa 1,500 - 2,000gp which split between the 'returnees' on a share basis would give Isvand and Gerdal perhaps 300-400gp each, NPC's taking a half share.

Scaly parchment tied with a ribbon of fur (Slow Poison & Resist Fire) these are two 2nd level clerical spells. My thinking here is that you could offer these to the church of St Ygg as a tribute to Marcel and share the gp/xp benefit between you, which on a share basis would give each character another +145xp and thus that would be sufficient for Raust to level up.

Splinters of crystal shards worth a few gold each. not sure if I ever rolled how many shards you collected. As a collective, you can each roll [6d6] and add that numbers of 'crystal shards' to your personal inventory (1gp each).

summary, so Raust would get the scimitar, earrings and a spell scroll and keeps the combined coinage, (292gp total of cp, sp & gp) and three of the egg shaped Sardonyx stones. (150-300gp value).

Isvand get the potion and magic ring. Gerdal would get two spell scrolls. Both would cash in a value of remaining gems as approx 300gp+

how does this suggestion work for you? Each character gets some cash value, some magic item, a token and extra XP for the tribute.

Return to “Completed Expeditions”