Barrowmoor: Exploration and Ecdysis.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Barrowmoor: Exploration and Ecdysis.

#401 Post by redwarrior »

This split would work for Isvand.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#402 Post by Marullus »

Sorry, back from holiday and catching up...
Spearmint wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:38 pm I can put in my view for your consideration. So looking at the loot list, I might advise as follows:

mass of assorted coins which comes to a combined value of +73gp per full share player character. actually leave all this coinage, a mixed sack of coppers, silvers and gold with Raust and Venwynn in the Orphidian Cave. The justification is this gives them a bank of coins to help the Orphidians begin honest trade with neighbouring tribes or settlements and also shows to the 'supplicant Orphidians' that you are not just robbing them or intent on their annihilation but committed to converting their culture.

Raust a fancy gold Amphisbaena shaped set of earrings (torn from the Naga's earlobes), taken by Raust as her trophy from the encounter.

A scroll of cleric/druid spells: Cure Disease, Detect Charm and Fire Trap. The Naga had a gaze charm ability. Whilst Detect Charm is usually a clerical spell, with study of 'Orphidian & Naga culture and lore', I could make a case for this to become a druidical spell too. Living amongst lycanthropes, having an ability to Cure Disease to stop you turning yourself should you get bitten, might be a valued failsafe asset to have.

Ivory hilted curved scimitar blade. It looks quite sharp and is etched in ancient Mercian runes (tongues of fire / 'Command') a druidical or fighter's blade.

Veneered walnut vanity box that contains six Sardonyx and Agate rocks. for Venwynn and Raust, semi precious stones valued 50-80gp each.

Scaly parchment tied with a ribbon of fur (Slow Poison & Resist Fire) these are two 2nd level clerical spells. My thinking here is that you could offer these to the church of St Ygg as a tribute to Marcel and share the gp/xp benefit between you, which on a share basis would give each character another +145xp and thus that would be sufficient for Raust to level up.

summary, so Raust would get the scimitar, earrings and a spell scroll and keeps the combined coinage, (292gp total of cp, sp & gp) and three of the egg shaped Sardonyx stones. (150-300gp value).
That's great. That's what Raust would've asked for.
Splinters of crystal shards worth a few gold each. not sure if I ever rolled how many shards you collected. As a collective, you can each roll [6d6] and add that numbers of 'crystal shards' to your personal inventory (1gp each).
[6d6]=26 crystal shards
Spearmint wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:24 pm Raust (and her wolves, Carca & Numma) and Venwynn determine to stay with the Orphidian tribe. Taking over as 'druid Mistress of Herne'. You can appropriate the XP award now and upgrade any skills. You will be those 100+ XP short of levelling up but they can be gained via the usual downtime methods. So if you wish to donate a portion of gp to say support a tribute to Marcel, then you can gain the reciprocal XP exchange.
I thought we already addressed that shortage above? My 10% bonus XP should fill the gap. Please clarify the final XP totals in private forum. Previous Post:
Marullus wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:17 pm
Spearmint wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:32 am Raust: receives 1572xp taking her to 1872/2001xp. (I am sure via any tributes, bard songs and class investment that we can cover enough xp to get you to level up too)
As a druid with both WIS and CHA over 15. She gets a 10% bonus, which is another 157xp. So, she should level with the others. (Now? At town?)
Spearmint wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:24 pm my feeling here is that if the whole party trek back, 25+ miles, then Raust will lose her ability to rule over the Orphidians who in her absence might just devolve into a brigand tribe ruled by the strongest Orphidians.

The team say their goodbyes, wish each other luck and promise to send supporting aid as soon as possible.

let me know then, what treasure share is given to Raust and Venwynn.

I will set up a new separate thread for continuing with Raust's endeavours. For now, you take your XP, treasure and wolves and begin to organise your conversion therapy.
actions please for Raust to confirm this plan and any actions you would initiate with the Orphidians.
I'll let you start the new thread and initiate the scene. I'm not sure what challenges I am reacting to.

Raust is highly charismatic, and having been raised by wolves and in devotion to the God of the Hunt, should be able to relate to the nature of these feral Orphidians. She needs to establish her position as Alpha in the vacuum of the Naga's death and then devote some time to learning their current culture and ways. Then she can work her plan to shift them to her view of civilization (defined above - hunting for sustinance, not biting humanoids, forming into a pack/social unit, worshipping Herne and not Kali - which is still perhaps a bit 'uncivilized' to townfolk).

She also helps dispose of the dead by their traditions, burns at least a portion of the Naga in sacrifice to Herne, begins introduction to the way of Herne and its prospects for their continued life rather than being a hunted menace, removes trappings of Kali, establishes a loyal guard of the most Herne-willing, and gets the opinions of Venwynn on the way ahead.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#403 Post by Spearmint »

Raust: receives 1572xp taking her to 1872/2001xp. (I am sure via any tributes, bard songs and class investment that we can cover enough xp to get you to level up too)
the XP award includes any applicable bonuses.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#404 Post by Spearmint »

I will update here the trek back, pending any specific actions for Gerdal and Isvand.

Raust, can add her XP and trove to character sheet. I will move your actions to another thread going forward.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#405 Post by redwarrior »

Missed the shards bit shards [6d6]=12

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#406 Post by Spearmint »

Trekking homeward to Helix

The journey is over twenty-five miles and trekking wearily across the wilderness is going to take at least twelve hours, give or take a rest break and checking directions. During one such halt, you brew up a welcome hot drink. Gerdal augured some divination.
Ah yes, Gerdal will perform an Augury at a suitable time during the trip back home. It can focus on Isvand, if he requests it. Gerdal would also like to know what fate has in store for herself and the poor subterranian woman. Speaking of which, Gerdal will really try to befriend her. Could be an interesting NPC!
Gerdal uses Heirloom augury vs 72% for Isvand [1d100]=3 for Patra-patra [1d100]=60
The first thing you notice is that Patra-patra is very adept at fire starting, quickly helping to strike a flintstone and blow the initial flames to take root amongst a pile of dry tinder. "Ko'" she says, warming her hands. She does not shiver against the mist as some of your might, perhaps she is more used to cold environments. Once she knows you are not sacrificially offering her as the Orphidians may have been doing, she brightens a little, expressing interest in the eclectic group. "Yazdi, usdi yona." pointing to Isvand. She gestures using hands and facial features to accompany the words she repeats, naming him. fierce-little-bear. She names others in her tongue; 'long-straw-hair' for Pasquel, Dale is described as 'hard and straight' like the sword he carries and cold too, of stern outlook and sharp like the blade's edge. Traeliorn is 'flash', referring to the fire he conjures upon his arrows.

As Gerdal ponders in tea leaves, she pulls the hem of your dress, naming you "Hataatii". The albino gestures you speaking to spirits and touches your fingertips.

In return you can read some futures and towards her you sense she is lost, taken or stolen away as in a raid. Her people are not common, she is human but unlike other ethnicities you have met. Her albinism is not unique to her, it is congenital to all of her kind. She lives a subterranean existence with little experience of the greater world. It gives you thought to ponder on as you consider how best to help her.

For Isvand, the tea leaf reading is more severe. "Death stalks us both, it comes as a dark mantle to envelope us. To swoop upon us unseen, unheard. A Valkyrie stalker of the ancient world, a remnant bane sent as arrows." You may wonder if the meaning has roots in some divine retribution, for causing Kali's devotee, the Naga Mistress to be usurped from her reign. Maybe not, are gods so fickle? But you are certain that something stalks you since you left the Orphidian caves.

Packing, you all hurry along. There are very few landmarks to follow. Initially you can go northwards along the Merisc riverbanks following the very westernmost tributary of the waters that drain from the Barrow Moor. Then you head as directly north as you can, following a flame arrow heading as indicated by Traeliorn.

Fifteen hours into trek, you have an encounter. After avoiding many grazing herds and solitary creatures, it is nearing the Shrine of Herne that you run into trouble. Maybe the sight of the standing stones gives you a false sense of security, you are near home, just a few miles and a couple of hours more to trek ...
Attacking by surprise, the 'dark mantles' of death do indeed swoop and tragically, with surprise and advantage, both of the beasts hit their appointed targets. at least it might seem that way though in fact they were randomly assigned.

Pteranodons, ancient winged reptiles, thin and frail boned but standing as tall as a man with a wingspan stretching easily four times that. Built for gliding upon the thermal currents, their wings are leathery webs between splayed hollow bones and finish in grabbing hook claws. A long toothless beak has menace, not to bite but to spear. A both of the silent assassins skewer a victim.

Isvand -7hp, Gerdal, -5hp.

The wounds are grievous, Gerdal only stands due to the reciprocating health imbued by her familiar Harkazz.

The beasts however have grounded and stab out at their victims intent on skewering them more and carrying a prize away to feast in their nests; far, far away.

actions please.

Raust: 8/8
Gerdal: 0/5 (3/8)
Isvand: 6/13
Dale: 10/11
Traeliorn: 8/10
Venwynn: 10/17
Ricardo: 6/8
Pasquel: 6/6
Marcel: deceased.

Attachments
Barrow Moor Pteranodons.
Barrow Moor Pteranodons.
a8008724f3e37185506d7887d8b64d0e.jpg (49.65 KiB) Viewed 1421 times

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#407 Post by redwarrior »

Isvand mutters to himself Fierce Little Bear.... I think I like that... but I wonder what "a valkryie stalker of an ancie --- OWWW!!!! He swings at the strange avian creature, but his swing goes wide.

Magic Mace THAC0 20 [1d20+1]=5+1=6 damage [1d6+2]=3+2=5

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#408 Post by sastaz »

Spearmint wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:38 pm how does this suggestion work for you? Each character gets some cash value, some magic item, a token and extra XP for the tribute.
Sure!

Splinters value: [6d6]=25

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#409 Post by sastaz »

Gerdal, staggering from the cuts, barely still standing, still manages to focus on the dire situation at hand. She throws her hands up in the air and begins screaming at the reptiles.

casts speak with animals
"Brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers, we are not the prizes you seek today. There are easier prey to be had not far from here. This will only end in both our families being slain and our young left to starve. Heed my call, and leave us be. We aim for home. Now leave in peace."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#410 Post by Spearmint »

Trekking homeward to Helix.

Gerdal implores some parlay with the creatures, invoking a spell to catch their attentions and though she speaks in common, to verbalise her plea in a way the Pteranodons can understand. They have little empathy though.
Considering the spell, I am weighing up that creatures like this fall outside of the 'normal animals' such as the ape and python you spoke with before. It is also specific to a single animal and having been attacked by them, your comrades at least follow through with their attacks, skating the one you are speaking with.
The pteranodons try again to snatch away Isvand and Gerdal, brutally pecking at them with long piercing beaks. Comrades target arrows or blade in their defence and a tight knit group of adventurers form a circle, back to back to ward away these winged fiends. The one attacking Gerdal is cut down, two arrows pierce its wings and crippling it from flight, it becomes an easier target for Dale to hack it apart.

The second one, -6hp takes a fiery arrow but presses its attack, dodging the flail thumping from Isvand and quickly riposting with speed and accuracy. He stabs the halfling -6hp through the femoral artery and he collapses. The creature snatches up the halfling who limply dangles from between his beaks, flopping like a ragdoll or tasty trout.
actions Gerdal please.

I will roll for the archers to try and bring it down, rolling using a first arrow loosed at short range as it grabs Isvand and takes off and the second using medium range penalty to cover distance and obscurity from the mist. A miss from an arrow might also have a minor chance to injury Isvand at medium range.

If it flees, with Isvand unconscious and bleeding out, ... well let's not go there. :cry:

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#411 Post by sastaz »

Gerdal is bleeding profoundly but manages to focus her inner energies into a bolt of pure energy

Eldritch blast damage [1d4+1]=3+1=4

Retain lv 1 spell vs 15 [4d6+1]=12+1=13

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#412 Post by Spearmint »

Terror from Above.

As she saw in the tea leaves, death stalks the group in the form of hunting Pteranodons and has come to claim her life and Isvand's. While she has escaped the jaws of death, the halfling lies firmly in its clutches.

Invoking a bolt of arcane energy and trusting in its unerring flight, Gerdal strikes the Pteranodon as it gathers up the halfling and takes to flight. -4hp. It injures it but not enough to delay its flight.

Bows in hand, the archers try to bring the creature to ground so that they can rescue and minister to the dying halfling. Ricardo and Pasquel take aim but their arrows fly wide.

Ricardo [1d20]=4[1d6]=1 [1d20-2]=4-2=2[1d6]=3 Pasquel [1d20]=4[1d6]=5[1d20-2]=11-2=9[1d6]=4

Traeliorn aims and looses arrows that burst into flames as they leave the bow but none strike true.

Traeliorn looses arrows: [1d20+2]=5+2=7 [1d6]=2[1d20]=6[1d6]=5

Dale has to drop his sword and quickly nock, aim and loose a shaft. so, not having an arrow ready, he gets only one attack and at medium range. I will use the first attack at -2 from his attack macro.

Dale looses arrows: [1d20+2]=19+2=21[1d6]=5 [1d20]=8[1d6]=2 modified to be a 19, hits, -5hp.

Of the volley, his arrow alone pierces the throat of the beast. -5hp It squawks in pain, releasing the halfling from its grasp before spiralling in a death dive to splatter upon the ground.

Isvand falls. It seems like slow motion, an unforgivable height, but he appears born as upon unseen angel wings. Perhaps they circle above the Shrine of Herne to bear the souls of those upon a heaven bound journey. But the halfling is not carried away; neither by ancient predator or angelic wings. Rather he wafts limply from side to side in the mist as if a falling leaf in the autumn breeze.

A ring of Feather Falling active upon his finger.

He lands softly at your feet, unconscious, but not still bleeding.

Raust: 8/8
Gerdal: 0/5 (3/8)
Isvand: 0/13
Dale: 10/11
Traeliorn: 8/10
Venwynn: 10/17
Ricardo: 6/8
Pasquel: 6/6

Exactly zero hp. whenever a character falls to this point they collapse and become comatose. They are not dying unless they take more wounds. I will ask them to make a [4d6] Constitution check. Fail and remain unconscious for 1 hour (six turns adjusted by -1 turn for each point of Con hp bonus). Succeed and become conscious enough to act as 'walking wounded' but until healed, the character cannot attack, cast offensive spells and movement is reduced to half speed.
Isvand: zero hp Constitution save vs 13 [4d6]=11 success, becomes 'walking wounded'.

His wounds bound, he can be stretchered back to Helix upon a travois made from the outstretched wings hacked from one of the pteranodons.

and with that, Gerdal, Isvand and team limp back into town with their lives hanging by mere threads and various stories to tell.

congratulations, great expedition everyone.. Post any further actions here and we can deal with downtime in the Helix location threads.

After you post I will summarise and close this adventure.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#413 Post by sastaz »

Okay, thanks for another great trek SM! :D Always a pleasure!

As for continued actions, Gerdal needs to meet up with Sven to get her shares of their previous spoils, and also some pearsl which will be used for identifying some items of hers.

Also, she'd like to transcribe three spells.

But maybe this is to be handled in the Helix thread?

Raust, be gentle on the snake men! :twisted: And don't turn into the next evil queen.

Thanks everyone, player and GM alike, see you in another thread!

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#414 Post by redwarrior »

Isvand Did you SEE that?!?! That was so COOL!

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#415 Post by Spearmint »

Subject to arriving in civilization safely ... you made it!

Experience Awards:

Encounters and Creatures defeated:

Kang and carnivorous apes: 148xp
Zombie Mammoth: 2400xp
Adherers: 720xp
Giant Python: 116xp
Darkmantles: 780xp
Orphidians: tribes-folk, Orphidian priest, acolytes: 2975xp
Naga Mistress: 3320xp

Locations and Exploration:
Herne Shrine: 50xp
Runic menhir: 50xp
Hurtloam Cave: 50xp
Orphidian Cavern: 100xp

Total xp: 10,709xp divided by three full character shares and five half-shares to surviving npcs.
(10,709/16) Equates to +1339xp per character share.

Players may receive any prime requisite bonus in top of this amount if applicable.

Bonus Awards

Each player receives a +100xp participation award.

Edited:
Scaly parchment tied with a ribbon of fur (Slow Poison & Resist Fire) these are two 2nd level clerical spells. My thinking here is that you could offer these to the church of St Ygg as a tribute to Marcel and share the gp/xp benefit between you, which on a share basis would give each character another +145xp and thus that would be sufficient for Raust to level up.
+145xp each character.

Resolutions:

Raust: receives 1717xp taking her to 2017/4001xp. (I am sure via any tributes, bard songs and class investment that we can cover enough xp to get you to level up too)

Gerdal: receives 1584xp 5524/8001 levels up to S3. (Sorceress level 3).

Isvand: receives 1717xp. You are already dual classed and these all go on your newly adopted thief class. It actually advanced you over the threshold so you can roll up for being a fighter/thief, level 2 in both classes. Your XP should look like this: fighter 2745/4001 no prb, thief 2335/4001 +10% prb. From now in any earned XP is split evenly between both classes but you only get the +10% bonus for the rogue class.

The NPC's each get +669xp

Traeliorn: +669xp
Dale Birgensen: +669xp
Venwynn: +669xp
Ricardo: +669xp
Pasquel: +669xp

Congratulations on levelling up. Please adjust your sheets for any upgrades and newly acquired class skills and roll for new hp using the re-roll 1's house rule.

any questions or comments?
Please add the above to your character sheets.

final comments, actions, queries regarding treasure or XP?

Return to “Completed Expeditions”