Helix: The Rosy Quartz Jewellers & Moneylenders.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Helix: The Rosy Quartz Jewellers & Moneylenders.

#21 Post by Spearmint »

sold. Just put three Sapphires (100gp) value in inventory.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by gurusql »

Spearmint wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:14 am sold. Just put three Sapphires (100gp) value in inventory.
Done and thank you

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#23 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven goes to see his friend Gur with a crate full of items to appraise and possibly buy.

"Hey Gur! I hope you are faring well, sir. What do you make of this stuff we found....ummmm.....out on the moors." He winks in a friendly manner.

A scratched ruby ring from a dead man's finger
A carved owl about the size of a hand made from a blue-green fluorspar
A silver bladed Poniard, the slim dagger has a pommel with inset masked face design, like a bandanna wearing highwayman
Coloured glass vases and several ceramic figurines
Old Incense Burning Mace
Ceramic Vase, sealed with an airtight stopper, varnished in white and blue patterns, still glossy after the years buried
Bronze Death Mask
Gold wedding ring which carries an inscription, 'love from Penelope' :(
Ancient egg timer with sand in turnable glass vial that flows for one turn of time
Flask of preserving fluid for anointing dead bodies
Pouch of several jaundiced looking pumice stones which have a briny yet pungent whiff
Kali Statue Chandelier

"See anything that stands out to you, friend?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#24 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Oops!

I see we crossed posted again.

If there isn't anything specific Gur picks out, I will just go off the list you added in the game thread.

Thanks!

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by sastaz »

Gerdal enters the shoppe, dirty and with partly torn clothes. She pauses as she recognizes a familiar boyish backside.

"Sven, is that you?"

She takes a few steps forward to confirm that it is indeed Sven.

"I just got back here, feels like ages ago we visited the barrows. What have you been up to, learned anything new since we last saw each other? I have a few new tricks up my sleeve, actually. I..." she leans in closer and whispers "can suck the life force out of living creatures." She stands straight again. "That, and I think in not too long time we don't have to worry about the undead, I think I've found a way to contro..." she glances at the clerk and breaks mid sentence.

"Oh, good day to you good sir. I wanted to ask you if you could appraise these fine items." She puts the gems and the necklace on the counter. The turns back to Sven.

"Actually, I have found a few manuscripts that I think you may find interesting. They're obviously descriptions of arcane feats, but nothing I could make use of. They seem more...academic...in nature. RIght down your alley."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#26 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I am not sure how Spearmint wants us to handle RPing with each other when we are so far apart on his timeline.

If we are here together, does that mean the stragglers automatically advance to the furthest along timeline?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Spearmint »

The Rosy Quartz, Jewelers and Moneylenders.

Gur Hirwen receives Sven Jolly.
The enterprising gnome businessman looks through the assorted trinkets and trove.

"Ooh, aah, nope, cracked, nice, bazaar stuff, vanity fayre for Ironguard snobs, ooh look at that ...". He comments rummaging through the assorted items to give a general job-lot price for selected goods and rejecting others or recommending their appraisal is best sort elsewhere.

"A scratched ruby ring from a dead man's finger. A carved owl about the size of a hand made from a blue-green fluorspar. Coloured glass vases and several ceramic figurines. Gold wedding ring which carries an inscription, 'love from Penelope'. Ancient egg timer with sand in turnable glass vial that flows for one turn of time. Bronze Death Mask. A silver bladed Poniard, the slim dagger has a pommel with inset masked face design, like a bandanna wearing highwayman.
Kali Statue Chandelier".

He hums and aahs a bit more, flicking cubes on his abacus and tutting about the market being flooded and supply increasing over demand.
For the above, appraised by Treyvor as around 1160gp worth, Gur Hirwen huffs a bit more.

"Look, with the grotesque art deco light thrown in, I can offer no more than 928gp. Take that for appraisal elsewhere, perhaps places someone might actually hang the dreadful thing, you might get more. I will give you +560gp for the rest.

He seems to have a low opinion of the Kali themed chandelier. Of the other items he suggests:

Old Incense Burning Mace. Flask of preserving fluid for anointing dead bodies. Chapel of St Ygg's

Ceramic Vase, sealed with an airtight stopper, varnished in white and blue patterns, still glossy after the years buried. body parts inside, see Mazzah

Pouch of several jaundiced looking pumice stones which have a briny yet pungent whiff. Ambergris chunks, Arcanum Collegiate

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Spearmint »

The Rosy Quartz. Jewelers and Moneylenders.

Gerdal goes to the Jewelers.
"Oh, good day to you good sir. I wanted to ask you if you could appraise these fine items." She puts the gems and the necklace on the counter.
A) Ten assorted gems which on first glance would appraise between 50-80gp as semi precious uncut stones (a mix of citrines, jaspers, onyx, moonstones)

B) A necklace of different precious gemstones, coloured as a rainbow with from fiery orange opal to violet oriental amethyst. (with the precious stones circa 100gp each and the chain, it is probably worth up to a four figure sum?)

these above two items could be liquidated in the Rosy Quartz or in Ironguard, you could expect a return circa 1,500 - 2,000gp which split between the 'returnees' on a share basis would give Isvand and Gerdal perhaps 300-400gp each, NPC's taking a half share.
Gur Huwens appraisal: 1750gp appraisal +/- 20% +/- 30% [1d100]=34

"Ah my lady, please come in. Looking delightful as usual. Those pies, the wife approves. Not sure about that paladin naming his goat meat offerings 'gnome pies' but your spicy sausage does go down a treat at the weekend."

He taps assistant Horace to hurry with ledgers and shelf sticking. Under a monoscope he checks out the trove taken from the Naga lair.

"Colourful, radiant this one, poor refraction that. Inner cracks like osteoporosis in the bones them two, nice cut and facets." He comments, scribbling notes down and comparing against a scrapbook of his own guild runes that teach appraisal values.

As with Sven, you may have come at an inopportune time and flush from other recent expeditions, he has less room here in Helix for selling the wares.

"I will have to securely ship most of these to Ironguard, perhaps cut these slightly better in angles and polish them up properly.

I can offer you 1100gp for those ten oddments and the rainbow necklace."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#29 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Before he makes any deals with the overloaded proprietor, Sven asks a simple question.

"Do you remember or have any records on a Mr. Jonas J. Dunhill Snr., by any chance?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Spearmint »

The Rosy Quartz.

"Dunhill Snr? JJ? Architectural bod if I remember right. Worked in the mines assessing the tunnels, 'elf & safety' inspector type. Mines closed, teams formed to go exploring elsewhere. Ain't heard of him in years. His farmstead smallholding was up north by the ridge on the edge of the village."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#31 Post by OGRE MAGE »

"I see. Someone told me they found a will with his name on it that was stamped here. Is that possible?"

The mage shuffles some items around, excluding the things he thinks he could get more for in Ironguard.

Leaving the following items for the gnome to make a second offer.

6 Gold Earrings basic 50gp x 6 300gp
6 Sapphire (shards 1/2 value) 50gp x 6 300gp
Coloured glass vases and several ceramic figurines. 120gp
A silver bladed Poniard, the slim dagger has a pommel with inset masked face design, like a bandanna wearing highwayman. Silver daggers retail around 35gp
V Mask ?
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Spearmint »

You could send Orgoth to barter a better deal out of Gur Hirwen. His charisma is higher and doled up with a foundation of Cinder's Oinkment, his charisma improves. So I will give him a [3d6] vs charisma check for a better deal, other wise Sven can negotiate using a [4d6]

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by sastaz »

Spearmint wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:01 pm "I will have to securely ship most of these to Ironguard, perhaps cut these slightly better in angles and polish them up properly.

I can offer you 1100gp for those ten oddments and the rainbow necklace."
Gerdal has to think for a while before answering.

"I see. We'd hoped for a little more, but I see your predicament and alas I do not have the time or energy to travel to Ironguard to get these sold myself. We will take the offer, thank you."

220 gp added, Isvand can have 220 gp as well. The rest goes to the NPC shares.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Spearmint »

Sven negotiates at the Rosy Quartz.

I will speed this up so you can conclude rather than draw out offers.

Charisma vs 10 [4d6]=9

Gur Hirwen looks at you, wondering if he is suddenly charmed or bewitched in some way.

"Okay, okay. My best client. Look for these I will rob my vault and granny blind but no more. 700gp. My last offer."

He selects the goods, upping his previous offer by a +25% increase.
6 Gold Earrings basic 50gp x 6 300gp
6 Sapphire (shards 1/2 value) 50gp x 6 300gp
Coloured glass vases and several ceramic figurines. 120gp

V-vendetta mask (taken from Noble the thief).

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#35 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven stares at the gnome for an excruciatingly long time.

“Okay! 700 works for me. Thanks!”

He swaps the items out for coin, deciding to refrain from joking about the gnomes granny.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by redwarrior »

redwarrior wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:45 am
Isvand I would like to cut the emerald, and the price is fair, now that I have some coin. Isvand will hand over the requisite coins, paying up front.

, 200 GP deducted for Gur's fine work!
On the 6th or 7th of June - assuming nothing happens in the meantime, Isvand will make his way to the Rosy Quartz, greeting Gur and asking him how the work on the Emerald has progressed.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Spearmint »

The Rosy Quartz

Isvand returns to see how his commissioned emerald is getting along. Two weeks wait plus an extra day or so for final polishing. You paid the previous gems appraised half value cost of 200gp in the hopes the work might give you a gem more profitable to sell in Ironguard or elsewhere.

Rosy Quartz skill on Isvand's emerald vs 16 [4d6]=9 [1d4+1]=2+1=3

The effort and wait worth it, the finished product reflects not just artisan craftsmanship but sparkling glints that please the eye. You are advised it may now fetch up to triple the initial valuation. (circa 1,200gp).

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by sastaz »

Gerdal enters.

"Good day my good man, how are we today? You recently did a commission for my friend Isvand and I can tell you that you have one very satisfied customer. I happen to be in the possession of a similar crude gemstone (an 'uncut emerald') and naturally I was wondering if you could work that one for me, like you did for him?"

Gerdal's uncut emerald is currently valued at 525 gp

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Spearmint »

The Rosy Quartz

continuing business and unresolved questions.
"I see. Someone told me they found a will with his name on it that was stamped here. Is that possible?"
Gur Hirwen looks at the will and testament copy, confirming the signature of Dunhill Snr against other contracts in his ledger archives. "He is 'missing, presumed dead.", the Will comes into effect generally about seven years after a person goes missing if no actual proof of death exists. No body, no testimony even. It has been at least five years since his disappearance. Perhaps relatives are already squabbling over inheritances?

Gerdal presents her appraised gem, offering the sapphire for further cutting and mounting in order to amplify its worth.
Gerdal's uncut emerald is currently valued at 525 gp

The gnome craftsmen give the same quotation, offering to "improve the overall cut of facets and exalt the brilliance while maintaining the sharpness and stone's integrity." At a price of course with no guarantee but a general expectation that cutting it will increase market value. "260gp more or less. Probably more, but then you get more return on investment." He scribbles notes detailing a gemsmiths wages, factoring in hourly rates and skill plus specific artisan tools, magnifier lens to use, obsidian sharpened blades, special.mineral water to clean it and so on. A months labour and a skill test to offset against the overall value.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Spearmint »

The Rosy Quartz

Cosmo Snag visits his kinsmen with an urn and a sackful of sparkly gemstones, recovered from the coffer of the Sunburst Shield.

Gur Hirwen appraises each carefully, scripting notes, weighing them and testing their sincerity and lustre. "One hundred and forty five. Some worth thirty to forty gold apiece, others a little more. As a combined lot, at a little over fifty gold median each, then I can ship these as a job-lot to Ironguard for 7350 gold pieces total."

if you took this offer and covered the request by Vann Hector of 200gp of trove to cover the spell request, it would leave each character from your expedition with a value of 1,300gp.

If you wanted to cut the gemstones to sell in Ironguard for a profit yourselves, you need to negotiate that.

Return to “Settlement: Helix”